Rmbone
bobheckler
22 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Markelle Fultz Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Markelle Fultz Thread

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

red16russ11 wrote:bob,
Did you see the latest rumor about Fultz?

BOS makes two trades - trades #1 to PHI for Saric, Holmes, next years lakers pick and a future pick.

THEN, he trades the #3 pick to SAC for #5 and #10.  He takes Jackson at 5 and Smith at 10.

WOW.
Just take Fultz and be done with it.

I think it's an idea someone put out. Basic idea is that a wing like Jackson or Tatum fits our needs more and we add a couple of interesting potential rotation players, another mid-lottery rookie, and some future picks. Holmes and Saric could be starters on a good team eventually. I don't see either as likely becoming stars. I'd expect that 76ers take Fultz, Lakers take Ball, Kings take Fox, and depending on who the Suns take, we'd get Jackson or Tatum. Then at 10, one of Markkanen, Monk, Isaac, DSJ, and Ntilikina would still be available. If there's someone they particularly would prefer, they could look to move up from 10.

So at worse, Fultz for Tatum, Ntilikina, Saric, Holmes, the Lakers 2018 first (will they be better next year), and another undefined pick

I'd prefer that we just take Fultz.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Name a tall point guard who can defend the starting NBA point guards who are 6'1 or shorter. John Wall is the only one who might qualify, and he's way more athletic than Fultz, and also an inch shorter.

This idea that Fultz can defend the waterbug NBA point guards is a fantasy, created by the same people who told you DLo and Mudiay could defend starting NBA point guards. They don't know what they're talking about, and they don't even follow NBA basketball closely to see how draft prospects actually perform once they get to the NBA.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm

BOS makes two trades - trades #1 to PHI for Saric, Holmes, next years lakers pick and a future pick.

THEN, he trades the #3 pick to SAC for #5 and #10.  He takes Jackson at 5 and Smith at 10.

WOW.

Red,

All these rumors are making me dizzy.  I thought that having a position we cannot move up from would reduce their number, but I seem to have miscalculated hyperactivity of speculative sportswriters and GM wannabes.

Your rumor above doesn't include this year's Philly pick, so how can they trade the #3 to Sacto?  Assuming that's a typo...

It assumes Jackson is still on the board @ #5.  Considering he is generally considered likely to go 3rd (maybe 2nd if LAL sours on Ball) that significantly weakens the benefit to the Celtics of this deal since we would walk away with a less than game changing draftee.  

It assumes that Danny wants a 6'3" guard with a 6'3" wingspan.  Look at his last few guard draft picks:
Avery Bradley - 6'3", 6'7"+ wingspan
Marcus Smart - 6'4", 6'9"+ wingspan
Terry Rozier - 6'2", 6'8"+ wingspan

Dennis Smith is not a great floor general, nor is he an elite defender. We're already well-stocked with guards who aren't great floor generals either, but who are elite defenders.

The rumor might have some weight to it but I don't see the subsequent picks they claim will be made by Danny making sense.

Factor into all this that Danny has been big-game hunting for 2 years now, trading a potential franchise player for this nibbling around the edges for Saric and Holmes makes even less sense.  Don't get me wrong, I like Saric A LOT, and I like Holmes too quite a bit, but landing either of those two doesn't feed the bulldog.  Danny has made it pretty clear he wants to go big or stay home and neither of those players are BIG (although I think Dario Saric could become the next Toni Kukoc.  Remember he's only 23 and just got his first taste of the NBA game last year.  Kukoc was 25 during his rookie NBA season). Paul George? Yeah, I could see Danny pulling the trigger for him. Sario and Holmes? No. They don't move the needle enough, unless he's bringing Saric in to replace Kelly because Kelly is going somewhere like Indy for George, but now my head is spinning again.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:31 pm

bobheckler wrote:

WOW.

Red,

All these rumors are making me dizzy.  I thought that having a position we cannot move up from would reduce their number, but I seem to have miscalculated hyperactivity of speculative sportswriters and GM wannabes.

Your rumor above doesn't include this year's Philly pick, so how can they trade the #3 to Sacto?  Assuming that's a typo...

It assumes Jackson is still on the board @ #5.  Considering he is generally considered likely to go 3rd (maybe 2nd if LAL sours on Ball) that significantly weakens the benefit to the Celtics of this deal since we would walk away with a less than game changing draftee.  

It assumes that Danny wants a 6'3" guard with a 6'3" wingspan.  Look at his last few guard draft picks:

Dennis Smith is not a great floor general, nor is he an elite defender. We're already well-stocked with guards who aren't great floor generals either, but who are elite defenders.

The rumor might have some weight to it but I don't see the subsequent picks they claim will be made by Danny making sense.

Factor into all this that Danny has been big-game hunting for 2 years now, trading a potential franchise player for this nibbling around the edges for Saric and Holmes makes even less sense.  Don't get me wrong, I like Saric A LOT, and I like Holmes too quite a bit, but landing either of those two doesn't feed the bulldog.  Danny has made it pretty clear he wants to go big or stay home and neither of those players are BIG (although I think Dario Saric could become the next Toni Kukoc.  Remember he's only 23 and just got his first taste of the NBA game last year.  Kukoc was 25 during his rookie NBA season). Paul George? Yeah, I could see Danny pulling the trigger for him. Sario and Holmes? No. They don't move the needle enough, unless he's bringing Saric in to replace Kelly because Kelly is going somewhere like Indy for George, but now my head is spinning again.

bob

The trade is for the #3 pick, which WE then move to SAC for picks 5 an 10. BOS makes two trades in this fictitious scenario.
#3, Saric, Holmes, next years lakers pick and a future pick......for #1. We then own #3, and trade that to SAC for 5 and 10.
Sorry for the confusion.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 pm

bobheckler wrote:

WOW.

Red,

Dennis Smith is not a great floor general, nor is he an elite defender.  We're already well-stocked with guards who aren't great floor generals either, but who are elite defenders.

Factor into all this that Danny has been big-game hunting for 2 years now, trading a potential franchise player for this nibbling around the edges for Saric and Holmes makes even less sense.  Don't get me wrong, I like Saric A LOT, and I like Holmes too quite a bit, but landing either of those two doesn't feed the bulldog.  Danny has made it pretty clear he wants to go big or stay home and neither of those players are BIG (although I think Dario Saric could become the next Toni Kukoc.  Remember he's only 23 and just got his first taste of the NBA game last year.  Kukoc was 25 during his rookie NBA season).  Paul George?  Yeah, I could see Danny pulling the trigger for him.  Sario and Holmes?  No.  They don't move the needle enough, unless he's bringing Saric in to replace Kelly because Kelly is going somewhere like Indy for George, but now my head is spinning again.

bob

That 6'3" wingspan measurement for Smith is outdated, from 2014. We don't know what his wingspan is now.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Rmbone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

WOW.

Red,

Dennis Smith is not a great floor general, nor is he an elite defender.  We're already well-stocked with guards who aren't great floor generals either, but who are elite defenders.

Factor into all this that Danny has been big-game hunting for 2 years now, trading a potential franchise player for this nibbling around the edges for Saric and Holmes makes even less sense.  Don't get me wrong, I like Saric A LOT, and I like Holmes too quite a bit, but landing either of those two doesn't feed the bulldog.  Danny has made it pretty clear he wants to go big or stay home and neither of those players are BIG (although I think Dario Saric could become the next Toni Kukoc.  Remember he's only 23 and just got his first taste of the NBA game last year.  Kukoc was 25 during his rookie NBA season).  Paul George?  Yeah, I could see Danny pulling the trigger for him.  Sario and Holmes?  No.  They don't move the needle enough, unless he's bringing Saric in to replace Kelly because Kelly is going somewhere like Indy for George, but now my head is spinning again.

bob

That 6'3" wingspan measurement for Smith is outdated, from 2014. We don't know what his wingspan is now.

rmbone,

It would have to grow 4"+ to get him into the Bradley/Smart/Rozier club, and even then he'd be bringing up the rear.

That might also explain why he didn't go to the NBA Combine. He is ranked at #10 and feels there's nowhere for him to go but down from there, which a 6'3" wingspan might do to him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:00 pm

This Boston/Philly trade proposal is extreme fantasy.
Philly is not giving up the #3, Holmes, Saric, the Lakers unprotected #1 pick next year and another pick, just to move up two spots.
Philly needs to keep making progress and improve each position.
They need a guard and a small forward.
Simmons will be their point guard next season.
They need Jackson or Tatum more than Fultz.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

WOW.

Red,

bob

rmbone,

It would have to grow 4"+ to get him into the Bradley/Smart/Rozier club, and even then he'd be bringing up the rear.

That might also explain why he didn't go to the NBA Combine.  He is ranked at #10 and feels there's nowhere for him to go but down from there, which a 6'3" wingspan might do to him.

bob

Bob, Smith was unanimously ranked higher than Fultz, Ball, and Fox until Smith tore his ACL two years ago. He missed his senior year, but coming back from his injury he basically matched Fultz production in college, doing so in a much better conference, and coming off that injury. Smith has no business being ranked around 10th. He's 3rd on my board and has a very good chance of being better than Fultz in the NBA.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:17 pm

tjmakz wrote:This Boston/Philly trade proposal is extreme fantasy.
Philly is not giving up the #3, Holmes, Saric, the Lakers unprotected #1 pick next year and another pick, just to move up two spots.

Agree.
So is LeBron to the lakers
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:37 pm

It's really dependent on how you view Fultz (vs Jackson). The consensus generally is that Fultz is the best prospect. The question mostly is whether he's a transcendent prospect. As noted earlier, there's members in league circles who see him as a better prospect than next years top picks and last years as well. If he is then it makes sense for the 76ers to try to trade up for the best prospect in years. If Ainge views him that way or the 76ers do not then it doesn't make sense.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 pm

red16russ11 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:This Boston/Philly trade proposal is extreme fantasy.

Agree.
So is LeBron to the lakers

I agree 100%.
I expect Lebron to sign a final, super-max contract with the Cavaliers.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Rmbone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

WOW.

Red,

bob

rmbone,

That might also explain why he didn't go to the NBA Combine.  He is ranked at #10 and feels there's nowhere for him to go but down from there, which a 6'3" wingspan might do to him.

bob

Bob, Smith was unanimously ranked higher than Fultz, Ball, and Fox until Smith tore his ACL two years ago. He missed his senior year, but coming back from his injury he basically matched Fultz production in college, doing so in a much better conference, and coming off that injury. Smith has no business being ranked around 10th. He's 3rd on my board and has a very good chance of being better than Fultz in the NBA.

I heard he won't make it past the Knicks at 8.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Exactly 2 weeks to go until draft day.

The last 1-2 weeks before that is when deals start getting close.  GMs want to know what their pick will be so they can get last minute workouts with players they might not have worked out already because the players (and, more importantly, their agents) didn't think those teams were "worthy" of a workout.

Then, there are the draft day deals, but we won't know about them for 2 weeks.  Just the rumors.

That means over the next 1-2 weeks the rumors will get even more intense, even more prolific and, no doubt, even more ludicrous.  The ones that do actually happen, however, may change the NBA landscape.  A team that had no hope of drafting a high quality player to fill a need of theirs might now be able to.  Any players that go to their trading partner in exchange for that draft pick will create a hole in the giving team's depth chart and fill a hole in the receiving team's.  This will change not only their drafting strategies, it will also create ripples on the post-draft trade front. I realize, with the #1 pick, the Celtics aren't concerned about who might move up, but it does create opportunities for Danny.

The next 4-5 weeks is a fun time to be a basketball fan.  The run up to the draft and maybe 2 weeks after that is free agent open season.  While Danny is hunting, there will also be summer league play and the Celtics team this year should be a powerhouse.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 pm

"Here’s what NBA scouts really think about this year’s players."

Markelle Fultz, 6’4” freshman point guard, Washington
“I’d take him number one. His main weakness is defense, but he has some ability to play defense when there’s something at stake. He needs to be around a winning culture to get the best out of him. The most complete player in the draft. I don’t like that he cruises sometimes. He’s almost like Daryl Strawberry. Is he loafing or is he just that smooth? I don’t know that winning has ever been important to him. I’ve talked to friends who recruited him, and they said even when they watched him in open gyms or playing AAU, his team hardly ever won. That scares the crap out of me.”
https://sethsdrafthouse.com/finch-returns-to-dish-on-nba-prospects-fa57b7c494ef

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:28 pm

From the same article that Bob referenced above, here is what they said about Josh Jackson.

Josh Jackson, 6’8” freshman forward, Kansas

“He’s my favorite player in this draft. As gifted a scorer as he is, I think he has a lot of untapped potential in that area. The off-court stuff is definitely a concern. You’re talking about two incidents in one year. Is that going to be a lingering issue? You don’t have to run plays for him. I think one day he could be a Jimmy Butler type guy. He has shooting deficiencies, but they went in at Kansas. I don’t know how they went in, but they did. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. If he’s able to shoot, he’ll be a Grant Hill or an Iguodala. If he doesn’t, he’ll be like Corey Brewer, which is still pretty good.”
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Rmbone wrote:"Here’s what NBA scouts really think about this year’s players."

“I’d take him number one. His main weakness is defense, but he has some ability to play defense when there’s something at stake. He needs to be around a winning culture to get the best out of him. The most complete player in the draft. I don’t like that he cruises sometimes. He’s almost like Daryl Strawberry. Is he loafing or is he just that smooth? I don’t know that winning has ever been important to him. I’ve talked to friends who recruited him, and they said even when they watched him in open gyms or playing AAU, his team hardly ever won. That scares the crap out of me.”

Doesn't like Smith at all, does he?
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Here's the analysis about Jayson Tatum.
BTW, he definitely passes the eye test for me.
I really like Tatum's game.

Jayson Tatum, 6’8” freshman forward, Duke

“Love him love him love him. He’s the next Carmelo Anthony. Just an elite scorer. I wonder how he’ll be as defenders jam him up. I’m not sure he has the foot speed to get around those guys. He has a good midrange game but I’m not sold on his three-point shot. His challenges will be athletically and defensively. He would never just drive down the land and punch it on people. I hear he just loves to play, loves being in the gym. Biggest thing with him is just physical toughness.”
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

tjmakz wrote:Here's the analysis about Jayson Tatum.
BTW, he definitely passes the eye test for me.
I really like Tatum's game.

Jayson Tatum, 6’8” freshman forward, Duke

“Love him love him love him. He’s the next Carmelo Anthony. Just an elite scorer. I wonder how he’ll be as defenders jam him up. I’m not sure he has the foot speed to get around those guys. He has a good midrange game but I’m not sold on his three-point shot. His challenges will be athletically and defensively. He would never just drive down the land and punch it on people. I hear he just loves to play, loves being in the gym. Biggest thing with him is just physical toughness.”

Me too. He's probably my 2nd favorite to Fultz.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm

red16russ11 wrote:
Rmbone wrote:"Here’s what NBA scouts really think about this year’s players."

Doesn't like Smith at all, does he?

Dennis Smith, 6’2” freshman point guard, N.C. State
“Really gifted at getting his shot off. Needs to improve his consistency on the jump shot. I want to see how committed he can be at the defensive end. He has all the physical tools to succeed, but can he trust his teammates? He can fall asleep on defense. He’s a Derrick Rose-type athlete. He needs to go to the right team. He’s a guy that gets you fired. He quit on his team in some of the games I was at. I’m not a fan of his body language. I’d be scared if he was staring me in the face and I felt I had to take him.”

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Not that this means a whole lot now, other than being a little interesting, but here's the player rankings for all top HS seniors from a year ago.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/usa-today-high-school-sports-class-of-2016-composite-basketball-recruiting-rankings
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Like the article. Thanks. Replace Giles with Ntililnka and change the order a little, and it looks about the same to me.
Tough call for Danny - he needs to get his one right
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxx
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 am

I'm not saying that Philly trade rumor is true, but.......

Ailene Voisin: Hearing late tonight that possible overall No.1 draft pick Markelle Fultz is working out for Kings on Sunday. Media availability unclear … – via Twitter ailene_voisin
Draft, Markelle Fultz, Sacramento Kings

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:28 am

KyleCleric wrote:

WOW.

I think it's an idea someone put out. Basic idea is that a wing like Jackson or Tatum fits our needs more and we add a couple of interesting potential rotation players, another mid-lottery rookie, and some future picks. Holmes and Saric could be starters on a good team eventually. I don't see either as likely becoming stars. I'd expect that 76ers take Fultz, Lakers take Ball, Kings take Fox, and depending on who the Suns take, we'd get Jackson or Tatum. Then at 10, one of Markkanen, Monk, Isaac, DSJ, and Ntilikina would still be available. If there's someone they particularly would prefer, they could look to move up from 10.

So at worse, Fultz for Tatum, Ntilikina, Saric, Holmes, the Lakers 2018 first (will they be better next year), and another undefined pick

Interesting....adding players like Saric, Monk at #5?, Holmes  lets say a young big man like Jarret Allen at #10?, would mean that Danny sees just how far away this current team is to competing with GS now, IMO.

along with Zizic and Yabusele that would a 6 player roster turnover. Pretty big for a team that ended up in the conference finals.

breaking it down per player

Saric replaces Kelly
Holmes replaces Amir
Zizic replaces Zeller
Monk replaces Young
Yabusele replaces Jerebko
Allen replaces Mickey

I doubt it will be the way Danny goes, but it would be quite a roster turnover for sure.

I do find it interesting that Fultz will work out for the Kings now, after saying he was only going to work out for the Celtics. Could it mean that Danny told him something earlier this week?

could W. Cauley-Stein be in play in a direct trade with the Kings?

Just speculation, but it would seem to fit IF the Kings think they have a shot at Fultz
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 am

kdp59 wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:

WOW.

Interesting....adding players like Saric, Monk at #5?, Holmes  lets say a young big man like Jarret Allen at #10?, would mean that Danny sees just how far away this current team is to competing with GS now, IMO.

along with Zizic and Yabusele that would a 6 player roster turnover. Pretty big for a team that ended up in the conference finals.

breaking it down per player

Saric replaces Kelly
Holmes replaces Amir
Zizic replaces Zeller
Monk replaces Young
Yabusele replaces Jerebko
Allen replaces Mickey

I doubt it will be the way Danny goes, but it would be quite a roster turnover for sure.

I do find it interesting that Fultz will work out for the Kings now, after saying he was only going to work out for the Celtics. Could it mean that Danny told him something earlier this week?

could W. Cauley-Stein be in play in a direct trade with the Kings?

Just speculation, but it would seem to fit IF the Kings think they have a shot at Fultz

I think the kid probably has a good agent, unlike Lonzo Ball. There are no guarantees, certainly not from Danny Ainge. If I were Fultz, I'd work out for any of the top 5 teams. I'd have to think about WCS, unless we get BOTH 5 and 10.
Also heard SAC wants #3 to take Fox, but who the hell knows with them - most dysfunctional team in the league.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next