dboss
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Paul George Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Paul George Thread

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Without PG, I think they will still have a very poor record.Time will tell.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:54 pm

worcester wrote:Without PG, I think they will still have a very poor record.Time will tell.

I agree with you. You have to look at who has "improved" vs not. Time will tell, as you say, but simply adding Lonzo Ball will not help this team in the West. They still have a ton of money tied up in Deng and Mozgov. PHO will be bad, SAC will be bad, BKN will be bad............time will tell on the rest!
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 pm

wideclyde wrote:The LA pick (via Philly) will be more likely to fall into the Cs hands if Paul George does not play for them next season.

George is a very good player and could easily be responsible for helping the Lakers to win 5 to 7 games which could push them far enough off the bottom where the Cs could lose that pick.

The Nets pick next year is also likely to be a lottery pick, but probably not anywhere near close enough to the bottom of the standings which will prevent the Cs from getting anything in the top five.

Time to move some of these draft picks to better build the 2018 Cs!
I don't see any significant improvement for the Nets next year.  They're not getting any help in the draft and what free agent worth anything is going there this summer??

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

League sources tell @RamonaShelburne and me: The Pacers and Lakers have engaged on Paul George trade talks in advance of Thursday's draft.
11:49 AM · Jun 20, 2017

bob
MY NOTE:  If this happens we will get Sacto's 2019 pick and not the Lakers', which is fine with me.  Lakers will pull themselves together, they won 5 of their last 7, while the Sacramento Kings are the new Donald Sterling Clippers.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:36 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246460/Paul-Georges-RE-Would-Be-$94M-Over-Three-Years-Expires-When-Eligible-For-35-Percent-Max

Paul George's R&E Would Be $94M Over Three Years, Expires When Eligible For 35 Percent Max

JUN 23, 2017 9:45 PM

In following up on a report that the Boston Celtics could do an extend-and-trade agreement with Paul George and the Indiana Pacers if they manage to sign Gordon Hayward in free agency, Albert Nahmad explained why the scenario makes financial sense.

Under that scenario, George would increase his 17-18 salary from $19.5 million to the $29.7 million maximum and then extend for two additional years, which would mean $94 million over three years.

If George were to wait for six months after the trade, he could extend for four years at $169 million. But Boston would be required to keep the cap space necessary to increase George's salary to the max, which is $10.2 million.

On the renegotiation and extension deal, George would add $74 million over just two seasons and he would be instantly eligible for a 10-year veteran max at 35 percent in the 2020 offseason when he will have turned 30 that May.

While George has preferred to join the Los Angeles Lakers, he can compete for a title with the Celtics while having a financial incentive in both the short-term and long-term. If the Lakers don't trade for George, they can only offer him a four-year deal in 2018 with five percent raises.

ALBERT NAHMAD/HEATHOOPS.COM

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 am

I'll be happy when the Paul George talk goes away, and all the unfounded rumors stop circulating.

Unfortunately, that will mean it's fall.

At least we'll have pennant races and football to look forward to at that time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

League sources: Cavs, Pacers and Nuggets have discussed a three-way deal that would land Paul George in Cleveland and Kevin Love in Denver
4:29 PM · Jun 25, 2017

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by ginoc Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm

bobheckler wrote:Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

League sources: Cavs, Pacers and Nuggets have discussed a three-way deal that would land Paul George in Cleveland and Kevin Love in Denver
4:29 PM · Jun 25, 2017

bob

I have this sneaking suspicion that George winds up in CLE.

That may not be horrible as it means the LA/SAC pick stays with the Celtics.

ginoc

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/sources-celtics-working-land-gordon-hayward-paul-george-181020436.html
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 pm

willjr wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/sources-celtics-working-land-gordon-hayward-paul-george-181020436.html

Most encouraging thing about this rumor is "Indiana could potentially allow George and his representation to speak to potential suitors about a contract extension should a trade happen, but that permission hasn’t been granted yet, league sources told The Vertical."

I would think that this would be a prerequisite for a trade with Indy.  I am still not convinced that Hayward should be the first shoe to drop.  I would rather see them go big for Griffin because we are 3 deep at SF with the Tatum drafting.  

I think the conversation that Boston has with Paul and his rep needs to take place before we sign the big time free agent.

Paul played some PF in the small ball lineup.  If you sign Hayward, Paul would have to stay at PF.  That may not be his preference as he prefers the SF spot.  These are the things that people often times overlooked.  A good Fit is associated with good chemistry.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by ginoc Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm

IMO Griffin is a better fit they need a PF. Assuming they trade for George he likes being the SF, but can play PF. Hayward is a pure SF

ginoc

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 pm

I think their plan is to be positionless.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:41 pm

KyleCleric wrote:I think their plan is to be positionless.

Don't force a square peg into a round whole.  that positionless thing only goes so far.  We have to add more size to our front line.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm

I have said that I am concerned about our lack of depth at big (a classic understatement, if I do say so myself) but I am consoling myself with "In Danny We Trust".

Danny knows we were a lousy rebounding team last year.
Danny knows he's letting Amir and Zeller go this summer, and probably Jonas too.
Danny knows Kelly is a restricted free agent who might be gone either because he is getting offers higher than Danny can/will match or because he need to release Kelly to make room for more important free agents.

So I'm assuming Danny has more to the plan than we see.

I'm thinking Danny's priorities here are to sign (and presumably lock up) high quality, high demand players to long term contracts.  The reasons are, I believe, intuitively obvious.  High quality players make you better and high demand players make them eminently tradeable.  It is possible that Danny has prioritized landing the talent first and then back filling behind them afterwards, like the way GSW landed Durant and then backfilled behind him with Zaza and McGee to replace the departed Bogut and the way Danny did it in 2008. He has accumulated assets like a sociopathic hoarder, just like he did in 2008, and will worry about adding pieces around them afterwards, just like he did in 2008 and on. He is trying to strike gold again using the same formula.

Boston with Pierce/KG/Allen, Miami with LBJ/DWade/Bosh, GSW with Curry/Durant/Thompson, Cleveland with LBJ/Irving/Love.  In every case these super teams had no problem backfilling with Posey and House and PJ, Battier and later Allen, Zaza and West, Deron and Jefferson.  To pull that off, however, you need the goods to begin with.  If we land Hayward and George (I'm assuming George re-signs all this falls apart) I'll bet that, at most, we'll spend a year with a lopsided roster and then in 2018 we'll rock the NBA with Cleveland falling apart from age and it'll be us and GSW.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Adam Kaufman ✔ @AdamMKaufman
I'm told #Celtics offer to IND for George is LAL/SAC pick from PHI, '19 MEM OR LAC pick, Crowder, $$ filler (Zeller pop name, Bradley poss).
12:07 PM - 27 Jun 2017
299 299 Retweets 288 288 likes
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi,
I'd rather have PG13 than Blake. PG13 has better offense, IMO. Blake's downside is that he's injury prone = higher risk.
As for PF position, I believe Brad's more and more moving into positionless basketball, so the assumption that Blake is better at this position and PG13 is better at SF becomes less relevant.
This opinion is based only on what each of them brings to the table and completely omits how much.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 pm

red16russ11 wrote:Adam Kaufman ✔ @AdamMKaufman
I'm told #Celtics offer to IND for George is LAL/SAC pick from PHI, '19 MEM OR LAC pick, Crowder, $$ filler (Zeller pop name, Bradley poss).
 299 299 Retweets   288 288 likes

If we get an agreement from PG to stay I think you have to make that deal. Not sure if Indy would prefer AB since he will be a free agent and they may not want to commit. Zeller is a short timer. I really like the deal but only if Crowder and Zeller and the first round picks are all that are included. I would save AB for the next trade. If they agree on principal to make the deal happen we can pursue either Griffin or Hayward first and the do the trade for PG. Again i would prefer to add PG as the SF and not Hayward.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:07 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I'd rather have PG13 than Blake. PG13 has better offense, IMO. Blake's downside is that he's injury prone = higher risk.
As for PF position, I believe Brad's more and more moving into positionless basketball, so the assumption that Blake is better at this position and PG13 is better at SF becomes less relevant.
This opinion is based only on what each of them brings to the table and completely omits how much.

AK

What about our rebounding. I do recall that the Cavs beat the living snot out of our guys in the ECF. We need a starting PF/C that can rebound.

Ok forget about the position we need a rebounder or we cannot win.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:10 pm

red16russ11 wrote:Adam Kaufman ✔ @AdamMKaufman
 299 299 Retweets   288 288 likes

Red,

In Zeller's case, it might depend upon whether Indy wants to keep him or not.  If they DO NOT want to keep him then that deal has to happen before 7/1, so sometime this work week.  That's because he is still under contract until then, but it expires Satuday evening, so wherever he is on Saturday has to make the decision to waive him or guarantee his $8M contract.  If Indy wants to clear cap space then they should take Zeller as part of the deal by Friday and waive him on Saturday.

If they WANT Zeller, then it should happen after 7/1.  That way Danny can time it so he can do contract management around Hayward and/or Griffin.  Danny would have to guarantee Zeller's contract on 7/2.  The danger there is if Indy pulls out of the deal, so you want to have it all negotiated and done except for the timing.  On the other hand, while I'm not a big fan of Zeller, we need bigs and he knows Brad's system and Brad knows him.  The possible glitchy part is that for Zeller to be part of the deal, and Indy intending to keep him, Danny needs to climb out onto a limb and guarantee Zeller's contract so he can sign someone else (e.g. Hayward, Griffin) and then move Zeller as part of the George deal.

Danny said that the lower salary cap hurt them a bit.  What would hurt him A LOT more is if Mike Zarren leaves for a GM spot somewhere else.  Zarren is the cap genius.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Dboss,
You're right about rebounding. But I'd rather have 90% probability 24/7 (PG13) than 50% of 21/9 (BG).

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 pm

sinus007 wrote:Dboss,
You're right about rebounding. But I'd rather have 90% probability 24/7 (PG13) than 50% of 21/9 (BG).

AK

Really? i rather have both of them. I am assuming the probability # relates to availability to play?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 pm

PG 78% availability BG 82% availability
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Dboss,
The last 2 years: PG - 156/164 = 95%; BG - 96/164 = 59%.
Frankly, I tossed those (50 and 90) numbers just "out of blue", but they weren't that far off.
And sure, I'd love to have them both on Celtics roster cheers cheers cheers

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:41 pm

IMO, IF (big if to me) George and Hayward both end up here, then I thnk you see Crowder AND Bradley both gone.

kinda hard to do it and keep Kelly too, unless he just signs his tender at $4.5M .

Hayward can play the 3 and some 2
George plays the 3 with some 4 perhaps
Jaylen can play 3 and 2
Tatum doesn't play with this group, IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 pm

http://nesn.com/2017/06/nba-rumors-heres-what-pacers-want-from-celtics-for-paul-george-trade/

NBA Rumors: Here’s What Pacers Want From Celtics For Paul George Trade

by Cameron McDonough

on Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 1:30PM

There might be a hitch in the Boston Celtics’ master offseason plan.

The C’s reportedly are hoping to sign soon-to-be free agent Gordon Hayward and then trade for the Pacers’ Paul George, who’s made it abundantly clear that he wants out of Indiana.

The good news for the Celtics is they have plenty of assets to get a deal done, but the Pacers apparently have an “unrealistic” demand at the moment, a league source told the Boston Herald’s Mark Murphy on Thursday.

Mark Murphy ✔ @Murf56 League source: Celtics waiting to hear back from Indy's Pritchard, but consider his current demand for George unrealistic. 9:49 AM - 29 Jun 2017 253 253 Retweets 225 225 likes

Mark Murphy ✔ @Murf56 Source added that Pritchard's last demand was for next year's Nets and Lakers picks, plus starting player(s). 9:50 AM - 29 Jun 2017 164 164 Retweets 126 126 likes

It’s hard to see the Celtics trading both the Brooklyn Nets and (protected) Los Angeles Lakers’ 2018 first-round picks, as George only has one more guaranteed year on his contact before he can opt out.

The Pacers might as well try to shoot for the moon, but the C’s apparently aren’t willing to go there with them — yet.

bob
MY NOTE: Brooklyn AND LA's pick? For a player they are going to lose anyway? No. Time is on your side, Danny, they need to deal and you don't. And if this falls through, that's ok, but not the Brooklyn pick.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next