bobheckler
worcester
KyleCleric
Matty
Shamrock1000
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

latest rumor - Danny going after Marc Gasol Empty latest rumor - Danny going after Marc Gasol

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:21 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2719954-marc-gasol-trade-rumors-celtics-may-be-suitor-after-gordon-hayward-signing

The Boston Celtics may look to further upgrade their roster by trading for Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol after free-agent forward Gordon Hayward announced his intention to sign with the Celts on Tuesday.

Chris Mannix of The Vertical reported two league executives identified Gasol as a potential trade target, and Mannix speculated that Boston could acquire him in exchange for a "ready-made rebuilding package of players and picks."

The Celtics could use one more frontcourt asset to round out a projected lineup that features Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Al Horford and Hayward. Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and 2017 first-round pick Jayson Tatum are penciled in as the key reserves.

Meanwhile, the Grizzlies could be set for at least a partial rebuild. Longtime power forward Zach Randolph, who created a potent interior tandem with the Spanish center, is set to join the Sacramento Kings on a two-year, $24 million contract, per Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Gasol is coming off one of the best seasons of his career. He averaged 19.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.3 blocks across 74 games. He also showcased progress toward adapting to the current NBA style of play by knocking down 1.4 three-pointers per contest.

The 32-year-old veteran discussed his relationship with Randolph during an interview with Rohan Nadkarni of Sports Illustrated earlier in the year.

"We're always there for each other," Gasol said. "Whatever we need to talk about: family, basketball. We're always going to listen to each other and never be judgmental. Even if it's not saying anything but just being around each other. It's well beyond basketball."

Now it's possible both players could leave Memphis during the same offseason.

Adding Gasol without giving up any of their main contributors would be a major coup for the Celtics, who still own a vast array of future assets.

It would also help Boston as it tries to keep pace in the league's "superteam" era, where the number of true contenders outside of the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers is limited.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report: Celtics potentially interested in acquiring Marc Gasol

WEEI Alex Reimer

The Celtics may not be done adding this summer.

The Vertical’s Chris Mannix reports two league executives told him Boston might make a run at Grizzlies center Marc Gasol. The Celtics signed Gordon Hayward Tuesday to a four-year, $128 million contract, catapulting them to the top of the Eastern Conference alongside the Cavaliers –– on paper, at least.

Gasol, 32, has three years remaining on his contract, including a player option for 2019-20. The three-time All-Star will make an average of roughly $23 million in each of the next two seasons.

That could spell some trouble for the Celtics, who already have to part with key members of their roster to clear salary cap space for Hayward. The team started that process Tuesday night when it renounced restricted free agent Kelly Olynyk.

Acquiring Gasol would be a win-now move, signaling the Celtics think they can dethrone the Cavaliers next season, even with LeBron James still in the mix. It would give Boston some much needed size in the front court, one of its greatest flaws. The Cavaliers bludgeoned the Celtics in the paint during the Eastern Conference Finals earlier this year.

The Celtics would likely have to relinquish at least one of their future first-round picks in order to acquire Gasol. The Grizzlies, who lost power forward Zach Randolph to the Kings this week, appear to be embarking on a rebuilding phase.

Gasol averaged 19.5 points and 7.6 rebounds per game with the Grizzlies last season. The 2007 second round pick made his NBA debut in the 2008-09 campaign.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

latest rumor - Danny going after Marc Gasol Empty Re: latest rumor - Danny going after Marc Gasol

Post by Matty Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:24 pm

I saw thus elsewhere and tried to do a trade checker... 

Danny is really going to have to pull sI me thing amazing out of his hat to get this done.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

latest rumor - Danny going after Marc Gasol Empty Re: latest rumor - Danny going after Marc Gasol

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Matty wrote:I saw thus elsewhere and tried to do a trade checker... 

Danny is really going to have to pull sI me thing amazing out of his hat to get this done.

Yeah, I didn't think about how much we'd have to send back to get this done before posting this. Also, just read that Memphis would probably want either Tatum or Brown in addition to other things...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:27 pm

seems like it may be tough to match salaries. May be an after the Hayward signing kind of move, built around Bradley and Crowder

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:54 pm

I'd be happy with Danny trading all our future picks except the Brooklyn and LA/Sacto picks to make this happen. Of course he'd have to hire 3 more capologists to figure it out.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 pm

worcester wrote:I'd be happy with Danny trading all our future picks except the Brooklyn and LA/Sacto picks to make this happen. Of course he'd have to hire 3 more capologists to figure it out.

Worcester,

As long as the salaries of those salary capologists don't go against the cap.

bob
P.S. I'm sitting in a plane @ SFO, waiting for the doors to close.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Per the Cba, there is an exception against the cap for capologists. Signing 3 more should be fine.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:
worcester wrote:I'd be happy with Danny trading all our future picks except the Brooklyn and LA/Sacto picks to make this happen. Of course he'd have to hire 3 more capologists to figure it out.

Worcester,

As long as the salaries of those salary capologists don't go against the cap.

bob
P.S.  I'm sitting in a plane @ SFO, waiting for the doors to close.

Where you going this time?

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Bob's coming to Sarasota, then we're headed out deep into international waters on a treasure hunt.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 pm

worcester wrote:Bob's coming to Sarasota, then we're headed out deep into international waters on a treasure hunt.

Try to find a mobile big, 7'-0", that can protect the rim and shoot the three!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm

gyso wrote:
worcester wrote:Bob's coming to Sarasota, then we're headed out deep into international waters on a treasure hunt.

You mean someone like Marc Gasol?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:54 pm

If we find him underwater, he'll also be able to dribble, sink a three, and dunk.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
gyso wrote:

You mean someone like Marc Gasol?

If Danny can get it to happen (after signing Hayward) without gutting most of what is left of the team, sure.

I was actually hoping that Worcester and BobH could find one of those on their treasure hunt, just lying around, easy for the picking.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:04 pm

We can get one with eight arms. Imagine the possibilities!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Something like Brown, Tatum, Crowder, Smart/Bradley would have to be included to match salary for Gasol.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:09 pm

WAY too much...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:11 pm

That's not the latest rumor.

There has been nothing out there about DANNY actively trying to get Gasol. This is Chris Mannix saying, "The Celtics have liked Marc Gasol for a long time and now the Grizzlies may have to rebuild."

It is not feasible to add Gasol's 22.6m salary next season until the trade deadline anyhow and Tatum or Bradley/the Grizzlies pick back would have to headline the package to make the $ work and be fair value to Memphis, soooo... silly to even think about right now
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Gasol would be way to expensive - Vucevic at 12 mil makes more sense. While he doesn't shoot the 3, he is a good rebounder and better than average shooter, for a big, from mid range.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 pm

swish wrote:Gasol would be way to expensive - Vucevic at 12 mil makes more sense. While he doesn't shoot the 3, he is a good rebounder and better than average shooter, for a big, from mid range.

swish

It would make me physically ill to have to see Bradley & Crowder moved for Vucevic. If Danny feels that truly is the way to go and the price of getting Hayward to sign and adding a serviceable rebounded then so be it, but man, that is YUCK!
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Sooooo... we could do a sign and trade deal  for both Hayward and gasol.

Perhaps a three team deal

Say with utah, we send draft right's to our 3 second rounders this year, and smart and some of our future 2nd rounders (we have a lot of those)

Utah sends a future first to Memphis 

We send Memphis back our first next year and our choice of the clippers first, or the Memphis first we have rights to and do a sign and trade for kelly olynyck and a partially gaurnteed deal's on jerebko and green.

Our final cost would be smart,  a lot of second round guys/picks  who might not have made the team anyhow and two future firsts  at least one of which would be in the 25-30th pick range.

For gasol and haywaRd  that's not a bad deal
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

BleedGreen wrote:
swish wrote:Gasol would be way to expensive - Vucevic at 12 mil makes more sense. While he doesn't shoot the 3, he is a good rebounder and better than average shooter, for a big, from mid range.

swish

It would make me physically ill to have to see Bradley & Crowder moved for Vucevic. If Danny feels that truly is the way to go and the price of getting Hayward to sign and adding a serviceable rebounded then so be it, but man, that is YUCK!

In reality it would be Bradley and Crowder for Haywood and Vucevic.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm

swish wrote:
BleedGreen wrote:

swish

swish

Right. Hence why I said "if that is the price to get Hayward and a rebounder [Vucevic] so be it."

Doesn't make me any less annoyed to have to see two of my favorite players leave over 2-3 million in cap space while the Warriors can keep/extend everyone and also just keep on adding 5 million guys like Nick Young.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:34 pm

BleedGreen wrote:
swish wrote:
BleedGreen wrote:

swish

swish

Right. Hence why I said "if that is the price to get Hayward and a rebounder [Vucevic] so be it."

Doesn't make me any less annoyed to have to see two of my favorite players leave over 2-3 million in cap space while the Warriors can keep/extend everyone and also just keep on adding 5 million guys like Nick Young.

Bleed Green

Cheer up -  next year it will be the Celts turn, if they choose, to venture into Luxury tax land in order to sign Thomas. At the same time they will be able to use those exemptions that are available to teams that are  over the salary cap.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Not so sure Gasol is the right fit. I worry about his injury record. He is one tough player though and that is something that we will need with
The loss of Jae Crowder.

About Jae....no one worked harder that he did for the time he was here. He really became a favorite and I will hate to see him go. He gave 110% every night. I hope he lands on a team where he will continue to flourish and be appreciated as he was here
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Not so sure Gasol is the right fit. I worry about his injury record. He is one tough player though and that is something that we will need with
The loss of Jae Crowder.

About Jae....no one worked harder that he did for the time he was here. He really became a favorite and I will hate to see him go. He gave 110% every night. I hope he lands on a team where he will continue to flourish and be appreciated as he was here

Well said. Jae bleeds green. I am still holding out hope that somehow he will stay and play more small ball 4 while Jaylen and Hayward play some 2. Probably not realistic, but if anyone could make it work, Brad could.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next