steve3344
fierce
kdp59
bobc33
Ktronic1
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ITS Done! Its done! Empty ITS Done! Its done!

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 pm

IT, Crowder Zizic, NJ #1 No Tatum. Wdya think?
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

ITS Done! Its done! Empty Re: ITS Done! Its done!

Post by bobc33 Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Do we control Irving for two years or three years. Both have been reported, obviously hope it is three.

Anyone know for sure?

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 pm

this year and next, third year is a player option.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/irvinky01.html

man that Nets pick is a tough one to swallow...I can see IT and Crowder...but the nets pick with them?

perhaps we get a future first back?

will Zeller be re-signed now?

we went from 16 players to 14 with guaranteed deals after this trade ( at least what has been reported).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 pm

kdp59 wrote:this year and next, third year is a player option.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/irvinky01.html

man that Nets pick is a tough one to swallow...I can see IT and Crowder...but the nets pick with them?

perhaps we get a future first back?

will Zeller be re-signed now?

we went from 16 players to 14 with guaranteed deals after this trade ( at least what has been reported).

Still possibility of Lakers pick being #1. AND we still have Tatum and Brown. NJ will e better so i doubt if that NJ pick ends up being 1 again. Hate hate hate to lose IT, but all in all this looks good!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Obviously a trade that we'll have to look back years from now to judge, especially because of the Nets pick.

I like the deal, only possible major downsize is Kryie leaving after two years. I believe though we'll be able to pay him more than anyone else?

To me it is Irving for IT and Nets pick. I don't think we'll miss Jae at all unless Brown and Tatum aren't what we think they are. Zizic may turn out to be something, may not.

IT is older and his hip is a question, and of course his defense can't improve. Irving isn't known for defense either but I think Brad can get him to play better D and size isn't a problem for him.

I like the deal! (And will miss IT)

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

My favorite non-Celtic player is now a Celtic.

Have been a fan of Kyrie since that Uncle Drew commercial came out.

Love Isaiah Thomas but this is a good trade for the Celtics.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 pm

I really hate losing next year's Nets pick in what is supposed to be a great draft for bigs. Not in agreement with this trade because of that.

Last edited by steve3344 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 pm

steve3344 wrote:I really hate losing nect year's Nets pick in what is supposed to be a great draft for bigs. Not in agreement with this trade because of that.

Celts still have the 2018 Lakers pick.

There's a bigger chance of the Lakers pick being higher because of the star power in the west.
Guys like Paul George and Jimmy Butler are now in the western conference.

Only risk is if the Lakers end up getting the #1 pick then the Celts will not get the pick.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Echoing my feelings:

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/danny_ainge_fails_celtics_in_blockbuster_kyrie_irving_trade/s1_12680_24582832

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Irving a big upgrade over Thomas, sorry the writer is way off on that.

Thomas is also 3 years older and 6" shorter...two things that cannot be changed.

Crowder is redundant on our team with the additions we have made. We may even have a player who can be the second coming of Crowder in a year or two in Semi......time will tell on that one.

Zizic wasn't going to play much this year...how much in the future ..we'll have to see.

That Nets pick...yeah that's the thing that could flip this trade and make Danny look like a fool in a few years.

of course we could also have won a couple titles by then as well....time will tell......it's done now
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 pm

kdp59 wrote:Irving a big upgrade over Thomas, sorry the writer is way off on that.

Thomas is also 3 years older and 6" shorter...two things that cannot be changed.

Crowder is redundant on our team with the additions we have made. We may even have a player who can be the second coming of Crowder in a year or two in Semi......time will tell on that one.

Zizic wasn't going to play much this year...how much in the future ..we'll have to see.

That Nets pick...yeah that's the thing that could flip this trade and make Danny look like a fool in a few years.

of course we could also have won a couple titles by then as well....time will tell......it's done now

Agree.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Big plus that we did not have to give up Tatum as originally rumored.

IT must be healthy or Cavs would not have made this deal.  Sorry to see him leave.

We still need some size.

One minus that stands out for me is Irving's need to "be the man."  The Celtics have always been more about the team over the individual.  We'll see how he adapts.

Ainge may not have wanted to deal with Thomas' contract, Cavs probably won't either, making him a rental, but they get the pick and Crowder.

Looks like a trade that could end up helping both teams overall.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi,
Wow. Frankly, I didn't expect that.
First, it's a huge gamble on Danny's part. The only explanation I came up with was that DA was forced to do it - most probably by the 3rd team that was about to snatch KI, otherwise why to include the BKN pick.
Second, DA gambled on Tatum and Brown to become stars in 1-2 years and then to become the core of the Celtics the king of the East.
Third, DA decided, IMO, that to have a more or less known value of KI is better than gamble on status of IT's hip.
Fourth, DA must have had some hints on Lebron heading west next year. This makes Celtics with KI a clear favorite in EC.
Last but not least, DA gambled on the team chemistry. They've already lost AB, now 2 more glue guys are gone - very dangerous.
Oh well... We shall see who wins.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 pm

I agree that this is a gamble on team chemistry.
But I think this scenario is the ideal moving forward.

Kyrie's younger and bigger.
He's also proven that he can deliver in the postseason.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Mixed feelings, but if any coach can pull this off, it's got to be BS.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:56 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Mixed feelings, but if any coach can pull this off, it's got to be BS.

There is no doubt.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 am

If anyone is wondering why we haven't heard from the estimable Bob Heckler with his thoughts on this trade it's because he's been traveling all day and not looped in. When I texted him about the details (I was out at the time and not near a computer) saying a friend had told me it was a done deal, Bob said, "I think he's jerking your chain."  When I told him my friend said Yahoo Sports and ESPN had reported it as fact, a minute later Bob said, "Fuck it is true." And added, "Danny has lost his mind."

I will leave it up to Bob to expound on his opinion next time he's on terra firma.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 am

It's a good thing training camp is only a month away, more or less.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:15 am

I wish people would get a better understanding of the Lakers pick in 2018.

It is VERY unlikely that we will get it (Must be 2-5) There is no way we get it at # 1

The Lakers have had a solid off season and I expect them to win at least 30+ games and if that happens it is unlikely that the pick will fall between 2-5.

2019 looks to be the year where the Celtics cash in on the Philly trade. We would get the better of the Philly pick or the Sacramento pick. (top #1 protected however)

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 am

dboss wrote:I wish people would get a better understanding of the Lakers pick in 2018.

It is VERY unlikely that we will get it (Must be 2-5)  There is no way we get it at # 1

The Lakers have had a solid off season and I expect them to win at least 30+ games and if that happens it is unlikely that the pick will fall between 2-5.  

2019 looks to be the year where the Celtics cash in on the Philly trade.  We would get the better of the Philly pick or the Sacramento pick. (top #1 protected however)

dboss

How can the Lakers get 30 wins if they have to play Blake Griffin and DeAndre 5 times, Westbrook and PG13 3 or 4 times, Curry and KD 5 times, the Spurs, the Rockets, the Wolves with Jim Butler, and all the other western teams that are better than most eastern teams?

I would agree with you, Lakers get 30 wins, if the Lakers were in the east.
But in the west, there's no way!

The only team worse than the Lakers, in the west, right now are the Kings.

Even the Suns are on par with the Lakers.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 am

I'm more worried about the 2018 Lakers pick going #1 than falling outside the top 5.

Almost every western conference team has an All-Star.

I think it's going to be the Nets who will end up winning 30 games in the very weak east.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am

As Steve pointed out I was sitting in an airplane, expecting the doors to close any second, when he called me.  I spent the next 2 1/2 hours stewing in my own thoughts with none of you to pull me back from the brink of madness and homicidal rage at Danny.  Thank goodness I don't have a chip in my head that could be read by the air traffic control tower, I'd have been dragged screaming, flailing and thrashing off the plane by US Marshals wearing rose pruning gloves in case they got bit.

A day or two earlier, on the "Are the Celtics too young?" thread, I opined that we weren't too young because we had veterans starting and getting the lion share of the minutes and 2 veterans coming off the bench and 2 young players with at least some experience coming off the bench with them.  I said if we have a problem it isn't with age, it's with our lack of depth up front.

Thanks to this trade we now have problems with age and even less depth up front.

Let's set aside that Kyrie is younger than IT.  Both of them are veterans enough for that to be a wash.  Let's also, for the moment, forget about which is a more efficient scorer and a better teammate (I'm not discounting either factor, I'm just trying to move past them to another point).  By trading IT AND Crowder we have lost two veterans and only gained one.  If age was a problem at all before Danny has just exacerbated it.  Our bench, however talented, has just become more callow overall.

Obviously, we took a big hit on our front court.  I'm not saying that Zizic was going to be a big, pleasant surprise.  I'm not even saying he was going to get a lot of minutes to impact anything at all for better or worse, but considering our front court was Horford, Morris, Baynes, Theis and Zizic, and that's not much depth at all, then losing any one of them is impactful.  We now have only four players over 6'8" on our roster and not one 7'er.  Think our front court was soft last year?  Get a load of this year's front court.  We'll be looking back at Kelly Olynyk and Tyler Zeller as our "bad boys" phase.  Rolling Eyes  Think of it, we must be the shortest team in the NBA BY FAR.

And as far as just hanging in there until next year's draft so we can have shots at Bagwell or Bamba I'd say "fugetaboutit".  The Lakers may be in the brutal WC but the pingpong ball seeding is based on league standings and not conference standings.  They may get their brains beat out a lot but so will all the EC teams like Chicago, Orlando, Knicks and Atlanta who are power-diving like Japanese Kates on December 7, 1941.  Brooklyn should be better than last year but much better?  They'll still suck.  And those tough WC teams get to feast on EC teams from time to time also, not just the Lakers.  Add in the weak WC teams like Memphis, Utah and the Kings (especially depending upon how Zebo's situation works out.  Either way, they're still the Kings...) and the chances of the Lakers getting 2-5 this year is not that great.  The upshot is that we are left with only our own draft pick this year, and that should be somewhere in the 20s.  Unless our weak front court cannot win games for us, then our draft seeding should improve.   Ugh.

A generally-accepted truth in sports is that players do not lose their starting jobs due to injuries.  You get injured and it's next man up while you have surgery (if necessary) and rehab but when you are back you get to reclaim your job until you lose it fair and square.  Isaiah Thomas pitched the Boston Celtics to Al Horford and convinced him to come here.  He flew back from Seattle just for the pitch to Gordon Hayward.  He played through injury, he played through having an elbow knock a tooth flying out of his mouth.  He scored 52 points in the first game back after his sister died and Danny just said "Thanks for everything, Oompa Loompa, it's been great".  Think of how Gordon Hayward feels right now.  If Boston was becoming a destination for free agents what effect do you think this trade will have on their perspective?  I think the reason why this all happened now is because IT is scheduled to have another physical next week to see how he's doing.  Maybe Danny knows something we know.  Maybe he is afraid that once the reports of that physical comes out it will be impossible to trade IT because he won't be ready for the season like he has been predicting.  Still, Danny is one cold, cold MoFer.

If there is a bright side (I'm trying, folks, I'm really trying) it's that now there will be more minutes for Tatum, with the departure of Crowder.  Also we just went from 16 guaranteed contracts down to 14.  That means that Danny will add at least one more player to bring it up to 15.  If it isn't a veteran big then I'm just going to give up trying to figure out wtf runs through Danny's head.

Turns out Kyrie is right, the world really is flat, and I'm not just falling off the edge with this trade, I'm throwing myself off.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 am

Bob, u find that  edge and let me know, I'll be by soon enough ready to toss Danny off.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

14 hours ago – via Twitter ESPNForsberg

Chris Forsberg: Danny Ainge on trading #Netspick: “We still value that pick. … Obviously, we value Kyrie more. It’s that simple.”
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm

I waited all night for your pearly words of wisdom!!!!! You and Gyso, NY Celt and dboss already gave me theirs!!!!! Beat, Kdp, and the others chimed in. But I kept waiting for you to stop me from jumping out the window!!!!! Now I see, you were going to jump with me.

I am sitting here, Wednesday, noon time, and still do not know how I feel about all of this. I really am going back and forth. I loved IT, he brought a new identity to the Celts that had been missing since Paul and KG left. Excitement, devotion, pride, he had it all. So Proud to be a Celtic.

Am I going to see that with Irving???? And, throughout this time of talking trade, there was always a question about Irving's attitude. How will that hold here? 11 new players, how do we work this all in? I heard Sean Grande this morning saying that the Celtics have a GM who deals with his head and not his heart. This is a tough one to swallow.

Everyone is waiting for the Celtics to fall, ever since that Brooklyn trade. They have been waiting for him to make the wrong decision about THE BIG TRADE where he gave up too much and got smacked in the face. Please don't let this be the decision that does it.

If nothing else, Ainge has no nerves, making this trade was a shock to the entire Celtic nation. Here's hoping we land on our feet running

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum