cowens/oldschool
fierce
dboss
swish
sinus007
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie Empty Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:48 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/everyone-knows-lonzo-ball-cant-shoot-right-now-even-lakers-rookie-190949125.html

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie 837f8e90-c359-11e7-9609-ffa65572639f_BenRohrbach
Ben Rohrbach
Ball Don't LieNov 9, 2017, 11:09 AM

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie C90062bbfb82f1afc2e5f8e635de2e3f
Lonzo Ball is letting the NBA get to his head. (AP)

BOSTON — Lonzo Ball can’t shoot. At least that’s the word making its way through NBA circles this season, and it’s made its way back to the Los Angeles Lakers rookie, taking up space in his brain.

“It’s just in my head to be honest,” Ball said from TD Garden after another abysmal shooting performance in a 107-96 loss to a depleted Boston Celtics roster. “I know I can shoot the ball.”

Ball entered the game shooting a hair below 30 percent from the field, and then lowered that mark with a 4-for-15 effort against the Celtics. The highly touted rookie finished 3-for-8 at the rim, where even a 50 percent mark is considered subpar in the NBA, and he was 1-for-7 from everywhere else.

This? This is not good:

Ball stood in stark contrast to Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum, who is shooting better than 50 percent from 3-point range on nearly three attempts per game and whose absence after injuring his ankle against the Lakers was palpable from the moment he went to the locker room and L.A. made its run.

“I started off not very aggressive, and I could kind of feel that,” said Ball, “so I tried to pick it up, but I wasn’t hitting shots.”

We’re less than two weeks removed from Lakers coach Luke Walton assuring us he’s not concerned about Ball’s jumper. Since then, Ball took just two shots against the Portland Trail Blazers, missing both to become the first top-five pick to go scoreless in at least 28 minutes since 1992, and then followed that up with 3-for-15 and 3-for-13 outings against the Brooklyn Nets and Memphis Grizzlies.

Still, Walton assured us, via the Los Angeles Times, that there’s no reason to be alarmed. “Hopefully soon; hopefully in Boston it will turn around,” the coach said. “But I know that he’s out here working. I know that he’s been a good shooter his whole life. I’ve seen him make 10 straight spot shooting. He’s got the skill and the ability. It will only be a matter of time when that percentage starts to go up.”

That’s also when Ball first mentioned, “I think it’s just in my head.”

Then came the Boston outing, and it’s more than just in his head. It’s on the forefront of the NBA consciousness. He owns the league’s worst shooting percentage at the rim (38.8 percent) among players who have attempted at least 30 shots in the restricted area, he’s among the NBA’s worst mid-range shooters (30.8 percent) on a limited number of attempts, and he’s the league’s worst 3-pointer shooter (23.1 percent) among those who’ve attempted at least 50 shots from distance. It gets worse.

He owns the worst catch-and-shoot percentage among players who’ve taken at least 20 such shots, and he’s on the short list of worst pull-up shooters, too. He’s only shooting better than 40 percent on one shot type (tip-ins) and one area on the floor (the left corner 3), and he’s only 1-for-2 on both.

Ball is 21-for-64 from the field (32.8 percent) and 11-for-45 from 3 (24.4 percent) on open or wide-open shots (closer defender 4-plus feet away), according to NBA.com/stats. His 29.5 field goal percentage would be the worst such mark for a rookie since Dick Dickey in 1951-52, per Basketball Reference.

NBA teams are well aware of this growing data, and they’re going to sag off of him until he proves he can make them pay. Take this play late in the third quarter when the Lakers were threatening and Marcus Smart just left Ball all alone to go double-team Jordan Clarkson on the other side of the floor:

Against the Celtics, Ball often times wasn’t even willing to try and make them pay when wide open:

Making matters worse, when defenders actually step out on Lonzo, they’re daring him to go right. The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor predicted this would happen during Ball’s freshman season at UCLA, as defenses are better designed in the NBA and scouts would pick up on the fact that Ball’s awkward right-handed shot that starts from his left hip and releases from the left side of his head is only really effective when he goes left. His 41.2 percent shooting from distance in college was a mirage as a result.

And if teams didn’t know already, Charles Barkley spelled it out for them on national TV last week:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/926321196966191104

[ltr]
 Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie DNr0Nt_V4AUxu5M[/ltr]

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie 4aB1QS-I_normalNBA on TNT 

✔️@NBAonTNT

[ltr]Chuck speaks on Lonzo's struggles tonight...[/ltr]

9:32 PM - Nov 2, 2017

•  111111 Replies

•  481481 Retweets

•  1,3761,376 likes

“He’s got this defect in his game, because he can only shoot the ball from the left side of his body,” Barkley said. “So, he can only shoot going left, because he can’t go right because he’s bringing the ball from over here. So he’s only half of a player right now and guys are taking half of his body away.”

So, while Walton may insist that Ball’s jumper isn’t a problem, it is. We know this because Walton and president of basketball operations Magic Johnson are already tinkering with his shooting process.

“I’m just trying to work on balance,” Ball said from Boston in response to questions about his shot. “That’s what Luke and Magic have been telling me. Most of the problem right now is just balance.”

Everyone from Sports Illustrated to the Washington Post and even the Wall Street Journalhas examined whether or not Ball can succeed as a shooter with his awkward shooting form. Milwaukee Bucks coach Jason Kidd, whose playmaking skills and early career shooting woes have drawn comparisons to Ball, certainly seems to think Ball needs a complete overhaul of that ugly jumper Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James appeared to mock during a warmup session last season.

“Yeah, I think you got to try to fix it because there’s going to be times when the defense is going to sit on it,” Kidd said in September. “Being a young player in this league, you don’t understand, How can I make the game easier for you? Because you rely on your talent. But as veterans, those words are key because if you can make the game easier for me, I can play longer and I can be more efficient. So for Ball, I think you got to look at him being able to work on the jump shot because of being able to only go one way without it being defended well.”

In the past, Kidd had said of Ball, “He may be better than I am,” but after 11 games, the Bucks coach told ESPN’s “First Take” on Thursday morning any comparison is premature. “That’s a stretch,” he said.

Whether it’s the mechanics, his confidence or a combination of those factors, Ball can’t afford to allow his current 11-game sample size to snowball into the future, because the defense’s ability to dictate where he operates on the floor will begin to take away the one skill that makes him special — passing.

Ball admits he’s been overly passive, telling ESPN this past weekend, “Everybody is playing me for the pass so if I can get into the lanes, I have to take advantage of that.” Yet, even in the Celtics game, Ball could be seen deferring to teammates when he had a path to the basket, and defenses will seize on those drive-and-kicks when they sense you’re afraid to attack. He may have finished with six assists against the Celtics, but four of them were just passes to another teammate on the perimeter.

Ball is by no means a bust 11 games in. He’s already proven dazzling at times, especially in transition:

“He’s 6-6, unbelievable in transition, understanding that he wants to get his teammates involved,” said Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving, who put on a dazzling playmaking display in the victory against the Lakers. “Can you really put a position on him, particularly right now? I don’t know, but he does a great job of running that team. And when he starts to get comfortable and the pace starts to pick up, that’s where he starts to flourish, when it’s going up and down and he’s got to make quick decisions.”

But there are fewer transition opportunities when your team can’t get stops, as was the case early against the Celtics. “Every time we come out, we have to hit first,” said Ball. “If we don’t, we’re going to get punched like we did tonight, and it’s hard to get back. I felt like we were just laxed out there, we weren’t playing defense, and every time you don’t play defense, the offense struggles a lot.”

Individually, Ball hasn’t proven to be a great one-on-one defender, and the Lakers’ offense and defense has been slightly better when he’s off the floor as a result. Don’t expect it to get any easier.

“Defensively, he’s going to be challenged every single night,” said Irving.

It hasn’t helped that opposing defenders are relishing the opportunity to make Ball look silly as a result of his father’s blustering over the past year. Patrick Beverley was first, and Smart is the latest:

[ltr]https://twitter.com/celtics/status/928469198208208896

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie SwbJr8M5M7zKmJqt[/ltr]

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie 033393c13e6dec0fd6cc5006453fbeb5_normalBoston Celtics 

✔️@celtics

[ltr]Marcus Smart takes flight for the denial in tonight's @JetBluePlay of the Game![/ltr]

7:48 PM - Nov 8, 2017

•  2323 Replies

•  286286 Retweets

•  856856 likes

Same goes for opposing arenas. The Boston crowd booed Ball every time he touched the ball before the Celtics lead ballooned to double digits. Said Ball: “I’ve been getting booed every time I go away.”

The treatment has gotten so bad that at least one opposing player sort of feels bad for Ball.

“I told Lonzo at the end of the game, man, I’m kind of rooting for him, because he’s a good kid” said Celtics forward Marcus Morris. “It’s just his dad. His dad has a big mouth. Everybody knows it. It’s not a bad thing. If I had my dad, I wish he would be like that, too, because if anybody loves you, it’s going to be your father and he’s always going to show tough love.

“So, he’s pretty good. His dad might think he’s better, which he should, but he has a long time in the league. He’s a young guy, and it kind of sucks that he has to go everywhere and they’re just booing and booing and booing him. He’s a regular player like the rest of us. I think it’s more of the Celtics and Lakers relationship. Hopefully that doesn’t happen everywhere, but if it does, man, I guess he should just talk to his father.”

Irving wasn’t prepared to go so far as feeling bad for Ball. “Why would I feel?” said Kyrie. “Nah, man.”

For his part, Ball is trying to keep a level head about it. “It’s a long season,” he said. “You just gotta stay positive, keep putting in work, and it’s going to show for itself. Obviously right now I’m not making no shots, but I’m going to keep shooting.”

Lonzo Ball can shoot. At least that’s what the Lakers rookie is telling himself.

bob
MY NOTE:  He's a worse shooter than Marcus Smart?!  Something good to be said about Smart's shooting, finally.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie Empty Re: Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie

Post by sinus007 Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi,
What's going on with the top picks in this draft: one has broken shoulder the other can't shoot?
Also, what's wrong with Magic and Colangelo? Or, Danny bamboozled them like those cobras?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie Empty Re: Everyone knows Lonzo Ball can't shoot right now, even the Lakers rookie

Post by swish Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 pm

After 11 games Ball's shooting has been terrible - the Question is - will he follow Smarts lead and after 3 full years and 217 games be a lifetime .355 shooter.? Who Knows for sure?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm

There is no way to fix his shooting problems.

The first thing that must happen is acceptance.  The Laker organization and the player must come to terms with the problem and face it head on.

Lonzo needs a complete reconstruction of how to shoot a basketball.  This will be a very daunting task because it is extremely difficult to unlearn something.  Muscle memory can take over.

Smart drifts in and out of proper shooting techniques which continues to affect his shot making ability.  The ball is finding it's way further back again.   However he just needs to remember why he shot so well during preseason.

For the record in 4 preseason games Marcus shot 16-28 or 57.1%.  He shot the 3 ball at 58.3% or 7-12.  

This tells me that Marcus's shooting issues are still correctable.  The worse thing that happens is he actually makes a shot using a flawed technique.

The Lakers may have made a big mistake using the #2 pick to draft Lonzo. They may have gotten a steal at #27 and a dud at #2.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Smart,,, College averages - 2 years(64 games) - Fg%=.413, 3p%=.299.
NBA averages - 3 plus years(217 games) - Fg%=.355, 3p%= .293
Ball,,, College averages - 1 year(36 games) - Fg%=.551, 3p%=.412
NBA averages - 1 year(11 games) - Fg%=.295, 3p%=.231

I want to see many, many, more games before I even begin to think about passing judgement on Ball.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Lonzo Ball better pan out because if Lonzo fails to become a very good player, the Lakers would have wasted 3 #2 picks, in Russell, Ingram, and Ball.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:37 pm

Lonzo with another hideous shooting night in a loss against the Wizards.

Ho hum. Ball don't lie
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 pm

dboss wrote:Lonzo with another hideous shooting night in a loss against the Wizards.

Ho hum. Ball don't lie

And Ingram 35 minutes and only 10 points.

Suddenly Lakers are becoming one of the 5 worst teams in the league.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm

fierce wrote:
dboss wrote:Lonzo with another hideous shooting night in a loss against the Wizards.

Ho hum. Ball don't lie

And Ingram 35 minutes and only 10 points.

Suddenly Lakers are becoming one of the 5 worst teams in the league.

Great news for us!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 pm

fierce wrote:Lonzo Ball better pan out because if Lonzo fails to become a very good player, the Lakers would have wasted 3 #2 picks, in Russell, Ingram, and Ball.

Jeez thank god they didn't go Porzingus, Brown and Tatum....then they would be the future dynasty to be.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:07 am

The worst mistake might actually be to try and change his shooting motion. It was good enough to get him this far, and trying to change such deeply ingrained mechanics could make things worse. He can be a very good NBA point guard with his shooting as is, thanks to his other well-developed skills. If they want to completely screw the kid up, fine, mess with him. That doesn't hurt us or any other team.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
fierce wrote:Lonzo Ball better pan out because if Lonzo fails to become a very good player, the Lakers would have wasted 3 #2 picks, in Russell, Ingram, and Ball.

Jeez thank god they didn't go Porzingus, Brown and Tatum....then they would be the future dynasty to be.

That's a nightmare scenario for Celtic fans, oldschool.

And it's true the Lakers indeed had a choice of picking Porzingis and Brown over Ingram and Tatum over Ball.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 am

As soon as Jim Buss took over, I said the Lakers would "die nasty".

Laughing
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 am

I
fierce wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

That's a nightmare scenario for Celtic fans, oldschool.

And it's true the Lakers indeed had a choice of picking Porzingis and Brown over Ingram and Tatum over Ball.

I remember the NY media ripping the Knicks because they didn't tank enough that year and many thought Porzingus was not going to be there. That dimwit Buss couldn't attract any decent FA's, I'm being kind, couldn't draft for sheet....he was in his position of power way too long, and it will take that franchise years to overcome all the bad/dumb moves.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 am

fierce wrote:As soon as Jim Buss took over, I said the Lakers would "die nasty".

Laughing

Fierce,

I didn't use those exact words but I've been saying the same things about Dim Buss for years now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Last night vs Phoenix an altercation broke out at mid-court between Trevor Booker of the Suns and, I think, Julius Randle of the Lakers.  Ball walked right past them and kept on going to the bench as every other player on the court from both teams rushed to it.

I've been saying that it is too early to call Ball a bust, and I still believe that, but this is complete absence of team camaraderie and leadership.  His post-game response?  "This is the NBA, nobody really fights". Can you imagine Marcus Smart doing or saying that?  Rozier?  Hell, I've seen Canadian softy Kelly Olynyk jaw with people.

It isn't just his junp shot that's broken.  

Here's the video:

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 pm

sometimes your wires don't connect quite right....

Or maybe he saw his brother.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm

He is right about one thing; nobody really fights.

NBA fights are weaker than MLB fights. Why even bother? At least in baseball you can come out of the dugout. With basketball, you can't even come off the bench.

You want to see a fight? Watch a hockey game.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:15 pm

NYCelt wrote:He is right about one thing; nobody really fights.

NBA fights are weaker than MLB fights. Why even bother? At least in baseball you can come out of the dugout. With basketball, you can't even come off the bench.

You want to see a fight? Watch a hockey game.

But even then the players can't leave the bench......like they used too

1970... Bruins and Montreal bench clearing one with teams that didn't care for each other.

Ice looks funny with no adds and players....no helmets either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMExigmMonQ

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 pm

The problem with Ball walking away from the skirmish in last night's game has nothing to do with whether or not he threw any punches, but way more about the lack of concern he showed for his teammate(s) who were in the scrum.

Of course, you do not watch NBA basketball to see a fight, and no one even remotely looked they were going to throw even one punch last night. However, a point guard is supposed to be a leader and walking away certainly showed no leadership.

I doubt that any of the Cs would have walked away.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 am

I'm sure the Lakers love this critique by Lonzo's gonzo dad.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-ball-luke-walton-lakers-soft-babying-lonzo-ball-203756631.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down