worcester
beat
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
11 posters

Go down

JoJo White Empty JoJo White

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 pm

They just announced that JoJo White passed away today. What a shame.

These two idiots on the Celtics Channel have not said a word about it, I saw it on the news.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

JoJo White Empty Re: JoJo White

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Sad
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Sad day .... he was so much fun to watch

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Daryl Morey‏Verified account 

[ltr]@dmorey[/ltr]

FollowFollow 

[ltr]@dmorey[/ltr]

More
RIP @celtics great Jo Jo White. Only player drafted 4 times - NBA, MLB, NFL, US Military.
4:21 PM - 16 Jan 2018

bob
MY NOTE:  Specifically, the US Marines.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm

OMG. I gasped audibly when I read that Jojo died. He was both a great player and person.

Last edited by worcester on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 pm

worcester wrote:OMG. I gasped audibly when I read that Jojo died he was both a great player and person.

So many great fond memories

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Celtics legend JoJo White passes away at 71

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By A. Sherrod Blakely January 16, 2018 8:11 PM

BOSTON – Former Boston Celtics great and NBA Hall of Famer Jo Jo White, passed away on Tuesday.

He was 71.

“We are terribly saddened by the passing of the great Jo Jo White,” the Celtics said in a statement. “He was a champion and a gentleman; supremely talented and brilliant on the court, and endlessly gracious off of it. Jo Jo was a key member of two championship teams, an NBA Finals MVP, a gold medal-winning Olympian, and a Hall of Famer. His contributions to the team’s championship legacy may have only been surpassed by the deep and lasting impact that he had in the community. The thoughts and sympathies of the entire Celtics organization are with the White family.”

White, a seven-time all-star, was drafted by Boston with the ninth overall pick in the 1970 NBA draft. He would go on to be named to the NBA’s All-Rookie First Team in addition to being named to the all-NBA Second Team twice (1975, 1977).

The timing of White’s arrival was critical to a franchise that had already won 11 NBA titles, but was facing some uncertain times.

Before White reported to camp, player-coach and fellow Hall of Famer Bill Russell announced his retirement. In addition, the Celtics’ Sam Jones was also retiring after his Hall of Fame career with the Celtics.

Those ex-Celtics paved the way for White to come in and play significant minutes, but his rookie season was a rough one for the franchise which suffered its first losing season (34-48) since 1950.

But those rough times paved the way for a Celtics rebuild that eventually led to Boston regaining its place among the league’s elite which eventually led to a pair of NBA titles for Boston.

For his career, White averaged 17.2 points, 4.9 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game.

In addition to having his No. 10 jersey retired by the Celtics, White’s No. 15 jersey number was retired at the University of Kansas where he was a two-time consensus All-American (1968-1969) which included helping lead Team USA to an Olympic Gold medal in 1968 in Mexico City.

One of the nation’s best basketball players, White was an exceptional athlete who drew interest in other sports as well, evident by him being drafted by the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and Major League Baseball’s Cincinnati Reds.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

RIP  JoJo

One of my favorite players on a Celtics team that would run you off the court.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by MBStretch Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 am

This may not be the place for this, but I had not seem it mentioned and did not want to start a new thread. I learned from a college classmate who attends church with Sam Jones in Florida that Sam's wife passed away within the past week.

MBStretch

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 am

Tough week for Celtics legends.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:14 pm

MBStretch wrote:This may not be the place for this, but I had not seem it mentioned and did not want to start a new thread. I learned from a college classmate who attends church with Sam Jones in Florida that Sam's wife passed away within the past week.

MB,

Nice to see you posting here, even if it is with sad news. Please let us know more should you hear.
Sam and Gladys Jones were good friends with our own Sam.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm

JoJo and his wife Deb lived in our town for about ten years. He was a successful restaurant franchise owner and you could always spot him out around town at different events. He was always friendly and talkative with whoever he encountered. I don't think I ever saw him once without a smile on his face.

One of the great Kansas Jayhawks as well as an Olympic Gold Medalist and Celtics mainstay of the '70s era. We can all be thankful he picked basketball with Boston over football with Dallas.

A class act all the way.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 pm

gary washburn‏Verified account
@GwashburnGlobe
Follow Follow @GwashburnGlobe
More
The #Celtics 1970s Big Three -- Havlicek, Cowens and White -- with Red Auerbach. Blessings and Farewell Jo Jo.

JoJo White DTxwcTRUQAY2RfU

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Sad time in Celtic World. Sam would have been very sad about Gladys Jones. The funny thing is that shortly before Sam passed he had told me that Sam was in tough shape.

JoJo White was a true Celtic in every way and a true gentleman. I have never heard or read anything bad about him in all the years he was here with the Celtics.

What a great picture, brings back such great memories. I just watched replays today of the '74 and '76 playoff series. That triple overtime game was the greatest game I ever sat thru.

God Bless Them Both

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Notice the black sneakers. I think I read that all the Celtics players wore black sneakers back then so that when they looked down and saw them, they knew that it was a teammate there.

Larry Bird Converse sneakers were black, I use to have a pair or two back in the day.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Those sneakers are back in style, I see them all over the place. In fact, I have a niece who has MS and they told her to wear those sneakers because they were sturdy for her feet yet comfortable. My son even wears them around alot.

That was the first thing I noticed when I watched a few clips of the playoff games back then. The other thing was the short short short uniform pants!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
about 14 minutes ago
A beautiful and moving service for Jo Jo White today... So many of his former teammates in attendance. Very strong note from Charlie Scott talking about tradition and saying all the former players are still watching closely to see that current team is living up to the uniform.

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm

What a brotherhood they have formed here in Boston. All the way back to the '60's. Guys watching over these new young bucks. I love it. It is what makes being a Celtic Fan so rewarding.  I have read things from Russ, Cowens, Maxwell, now Charlie Scott. I am sure Havlicek remembered him fondly .  This was really sad.

Last edited by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
about 2 hours ago
It says a lot for both Jo Jo White and @Paul Pierce that Paul flew all the way in just for Jo Jo's services today. He'll be back in town next week to see his 34 raised to the Garden rafters alongside fell Kansas product Jo Jo's 10.

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm

He came to my high school in 2001 with a couple of present Celtics players, Chris Carr and Kenny Anderson. Played ball, was in great shape. Very nice guy.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down