Shamrock1000
NYCelt
kdp59
dboss
Phil Pressey
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger Empty I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 pm

He looks about ten pounds overweight, perhaps fifteen, but he is not far off and shows a lot of improvement for speed. There's been an open roster slot for a long time. The C's could've used an extra big tonight. Sullinger looks great. I think he is definitely on a mission to lose all the fat. Check him out. This is the latest I have found from one week ago. He looks close.

I lost thirty pounds once. It is a slow process. It looks like Sully is down to a flat tire's worth of fat cells. Water retention can make people look bigger than they are. Fat cells are tough to shrink.

Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger Empty Re: I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Sully is playing big minutes. Here he ran down the floor to help up a teammate.

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger Sully310
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger Empty Re: I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger

Post by dboss Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

Ok what is his name in chinese?

Jared = 亚雷德

and what do I think about this? 您也是脂肪 which means you too fat

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm

dboss wrote:Ok what is his name in chinese?

Jared = 亚雷德

and what do I think about this?   您也是脂肪 which means you too fat

dboss

Thanks for the comment, but Sully is no longer looking fat. Have you even tried to watch some of it? I usually end up fast forwarding but for the most part I am enjoying finding these.

I have found a new game from yesterday.

I thought the problem with Sullinger was his weight and not skills. I know he is a tweener, sort of awkward, but he's stronger than Morris, wouldn't cost much and would be a proven vet to solidify the end of the rotation. He is basically a ready made Yabusele.

These are interesting games. His teammates are awful, but he doesn't really make them feel bad about it. He is helping his teammates and the Chinese league get better. His drives to the hoop and jump shots look good. His soft touch with rebounding is still there.

Sullinger made a wise choice to go to China to work on his biggest need to get into shape. He is playing most of each quarter. He is running. He is an underdog worthy of rooting for, I think. He is all the way on the other side of earth chasing his dream. Big Baby gave up, kept expanding body wise and fizzled with the Clippers. There's still hope for Jared Sullinger.

I notice a lot of the Americans there are not good and are going for the money. Sullinger is there to lose weight and it seems he is almost at a good NBA playing weight. I bet he has lost forty or so pounds since topping 300. I respect that. He has a bounce in his game. He looks thinner and faster than in the games from a couple months ago. The stats don't matter because it is a miserable league. It's about him getting into shape. Video don't lie.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:41 pm

call Danny when he grows 3 to 4 inches

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Jared = 亚雷德

dboss

Laughing
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:

Jared = 亚雷德

dboss

Thanks for the comment, but Sully is no longer looking fat. Have you even tried to watch some of it? I usually end up fast forwarding but for the most part I am enjoying finding these.

I thought the problem with Sullinger was his weight and not skills. I know he is a tweener, sort of awkward, but he's stronger than Morris, wouldn't cost much and would be a proven vet to solidify the end of the rotation. He is basically a ready made Yabusele.

These are interesting games. His teammates are awful, but he doesn't really make them feel bad about it. He is helping his teammates and the Chinese league get better. His drives to the hoop and jump shots look good. His soft touch with rebounding is still there.

Sullinger made a wise choice to go to China to work on his biggest need to get into shape. He is playing most of each quarter. He is running. He is an underdog worthy of rooting for, I think. He is all the way on the other side of earth chasing his dream. Big Baby gave up, kept expanding body wise and fizzled with the Clippers. There's still hope for Jared Sullinger.

I notice a lot of the Americans there are not good and are going for the money. Sullinger is there to lose weight and it seems he is almost at a good NBA playing weight. I bet he has lost forty or so pounds since topping 300. I respect that. He has a bounce in his game. He looks thinner and faster than in the games from a couple months ago. The stats don't matter because it is a miserable league. It's about him getting into shape. Video don't lie.

I don't have the patience to watch an entire game called in Mandarin, but I don't think what you are suggesting is outrageous at all. Sully was a decent player when he was on the Celtics. Discounting his rookie season (when he hurt his back I think???), he averaged nearly a double-double in 2013,14, and 15. He only appeared in 11 games in 2016 and then was out of the league. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it struck me as strange that he couldn't find a spot in the NBA. Many guys with admittedly better physiques, but MUCH worse stats, are still in the league. You would think production is more important than appearance/perception, but the perception that he was over weight hurt him more than it should have. I suspect that he could give us useful, even impactful minutes, and I bet the veteran's minimum would get it done.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Lol, thanks, but no thanks I'll pass.

This is a pace and space game for players who can shoot from the outside and run the court. Sully can do neither.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Lol, thanks, but no thanks I'll pass.

This is a pace and space game for players who can shoot from the outside and run the court. Sully can do neither.

KJ

You haven't noticed that teams with old-school big men can be problematic for this team? You don't think a mini-mountain like Sully could help in some of those types of match-ups? I don't think Phil is envisioning Sully playing 32 minutes a game, just that he could help at the end of the bench. Not many end-of the bench players can a average a near double double. And, God knows that Sully is certainly not hesitant to shoot from outside....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:Lol, thanks, but no thanks I'll pass.

KJ

You haven't noticed that teams with old-school big men can be problematic for this team? You don't think a mini-mountain like Sully could help in some of those types of match-ups? I don't think Phil is envisioning Sully playing 32 minutes a game, just that he could help at the end of the bench. Not many end-of the bench players can a average a near double double. And, God knows that Sully is certainly not hesitant to shoot from outside....

A lot of the big men in this league are like 6'10" and up and can shoot threes. Sullinger is physical but shorter and slower than them. He'd be forced to guard them on the perimeter. In the post he has some beef but opposing players will have a height advantage.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks for the comments. I agree with KDP that Sully's biggest challenge is his height (if not weight). He is a big and strong tweener, yet he seems to have the long arms and definitely great hands.

Yes, I see Sully as more of a PJ Brown addition more than that he would replace or eat into Theis, Morris and Baynes minutes. Maybe he could. It seems he would cost next to nothing. It's all about his getting into game shape. He let his body go. We saw it. And that was in a contract year. He clearly wasn't ready for the challenge.

Maybe he could jump ahead of some of the bigs not named Horford or at least for certain match-ups. Brad tends to be egalitarian. At a minimum, he could become an asset like Theis moving forward with the looming luxury tax.

Danny has proven he can put together Big Threes. It's going to be how he fills in the rest of the roster whether the C's can start winning the title or a bunch of them.

I disagree with KJ that Sully cannot hit jumpers nor run the floor.

He has made some leaps since November videos.

I found a link to CBA stats.

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/Chinese-CBA/stats

He's shooting .383 on threes and over 50% for field goal percentage. He's not really ball hogging it. He is the best player on the court every game. He is obviously there to lose weight, maybe also have a cultural experience. He is clearly into his team and teammates. I guess it helps him to know it is not forever or it would feel like an exile.

His shooting is good. He is also running the floor.

I agree with Shamrock he'd be signed to be the tenth man. Right now that is Ojeleye or Larkin. He could go all out for ten or twenty minutes.

KJ, I think you are perhaps judging Sully from his NBA downfall.

He will never motor up the court like Rozier, but I'm seeing a big difference in speed. He was a proven NBA player. He was our starter for a number of years. He was never a Fab Melo or a prospect. Not many probably thought Olynyk would end up better than him. Kelly is doing well in Miami. There's no reason that an in shape Sullinger can't become a quality reserve on a good team other than perhaps the tweener part.

He's definitely a tweener. That has always been there for an issue. He and Olynyk were pretty good together for offense, but Kelly was at his worst for defense and Sully was just too short to compensate.

He's an ex-Celtic and that's why I got into this. He might be breaking the all-time record for Chinese rebounding. It's an easier league, but if he was as slow as you say, he wouldn't be piling up the stats. He is shooting well. He's hustling and playing hard.

People told Isaiah he'd never make it because he was too short. I understand Sully is a tweener, thus he needs to prove he can stay in shape. I expect his ceiling right now is quality NBA backup. He'd be a much better team player on offense than Morris and a better rebounder. He might be as good as him as a shooter. He is nailing deep shots.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 am

I am not sure that statistical comparison between what a guy does in China can be compared or projected to what he may be able to do in the NBA. Just too many guys with big numbers over there who are not even able to get regular playing time here or even make an NBA team. Jimmer Ferdette comes immediately as a prime example.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:39 am

Phil Pressey wrote:

Jared = 亚雷德

dboss

Phil, I was attempting to make a joke 制作一个玩笑

Danny drafted Sullinger @ 21 in the 2012 draft.  He was a below the rim undersized power forward and at one time was ranked in the top 5.  Then the medical information came out about his back and his stock fell like a bad investment on the S & P.  Danny took a flyer on him because there really was not a lot of other options in that draft.  It was perhaps one of the worse drafts for boston because if you recall Danny drafted Fab melo (RIP brother) at 22.

The back issue popped up as expected and Jared missed a lot of games his first year.  He played for Boston for 4 years and was a solid rebounder.  His last year he average 10.3 PPG and 8.3 rebounds.  That was the year when it became apparent that Boston was not happy with his conditioning.  He was slow getting up and down on both offense and defense.  He was a bad fit for the pace and space game because he was a very poor shooter from distance.  The Celtics had to either resign him to a new contract or let him go.

He's over in China and we are all glad that he has a job playing basketball.  It sure beats working at the local smorgasbord.  They have smorgasbords in china as well.  They are called 瑞典式自助餐.  Let's hope for his sake that he keeps walking past them.

It is very difficult to look at numbers put up over in china and try to translate that into NBA productivity.  He still looks fat to me and he will always  be large because he has big bones.  It is genetics at work.  The Celtics are not going to take another shot at him because they are not that desperate.  They already know that he does not fit their style.

next up "How to lose Weight In China"  如何减肥在中国

dboss aka the boss 老板
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:30 pm

dboss,

You've got some serious second language going on there.

Is that Mandarin?

Maybe you can solve a mystery for me. I've had a sign in my office for years with the following characters...

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger Crisis10

I was told it's the traditional Chinese Mandarin for crisis, which is made up of the characters for risk and opportunity. A couple of times I've also been told this is not correct. Any idea?

And people thought we were just talking hoops here...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm

NYCelt wrote:dboss,

Is that Mandarin?

Maybe you can solve a mystery for me. I've had a sign in my office for years with the following characters...

I was told it's the traditional Chinese Mandarin for crisis, which is made up of the characters for risk and opportunity. A couple of times I've also been told this is not correct. Any idea?

Regards

NYcelt 危机 simplified version, 危機 traditional for the word crisis
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm

dboss wrote:
NYCelt wrote:dboss,

Is that Mandarin?

Regards

NYcelt  危机  simplified version,  危機 traditional for the word crisis

Thanks dboss!

I'll keep the sign. I didn't know there was even a simplified versus traditional. Heck, I've got my hands full with English!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 am

Here's a brand new Sully in China game from January 19.

Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Listening to a game in Chinese is like going to a Chinese restaurant ordering Fried Rice 炒饭 and they bring you back Fried Rat 油炸的老鼠
(Southern pronunciation)

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 pm

dboss wrote:Listening to a game in Chinese is like going to a Chinese restaurant ordering Fried Rice 炒饭 and they bring you back Fried Rat 油炸的老鼠
(Southern pronunciation)

dboss

Sully is the Wilt Chamberlain of China. ESPN should make it into one of those 30 for 30 movies.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Phil

We need a poll.  Should Boston bring back Sully.  If the overwhelming response is no can we move on?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:22 pm

dboss wrote:Phil

We need a poll.  Should Boston bring back Sully.  If the overwhelming response is no can we move on?

Dboss

I'll stop posting the videos. The game from yesterday is available. If anyone wants to find them, just search 深圳 全场录像 in Youtube. You might have to scroll down, but I've been easily finding current games this way. And this new one has no announcers, just arena audio.

DBoss, my argument is that Sullinger has lost a lot of weight and still has the same skills. It's tough to tell the way uniform jerseys are loose. He seems to be down to a little bit of beer belly or loose skin. He is playing a lot of minutes.

His shooting is good.
His passing is good.
His hands are good.
His running is good.

If you ever believed in Sullinger any time he was a Celtic, he has the same skills and looks very close to being at his natural weight. He is big boned and his body is pear shaped with a big butt. He'd be a much better team player on offense than Marcus Morris.

I'm not saying replace Morris, Theis or Baynes with Sullinger. We are thin at bigs and he would provide Brad with a different option. He'd probably cost Danny a bag of peanuts in NBA money. It would be a low risk, possibly high reward move. He already knows Brad's system. He would enhance the Celtic's puncher chance to win it all this year.

Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 pm

With all of this talk about Sullenger I decided to watch the video that Phil provided although I am not a fan of Chinese league basketball as it comes off similar to NCAA division 3 ball to me.

Sully does look slimmer, but he still does not bend his knees to play the game. He probably doesn't have to in China, but this was a huge problem for him when he stumbled downhill in the NBA. Without bending the knees he is still going to be too slow to play in the NBA.

Not sure who #40 is that Sully was covering, but 40 went passed him any and every time he wanted to attack the hoop. Sully only got rebounds that came directly to him.

Color me still unimpressed.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Phil

Sullinger is unlikely to get a 2nd chance with Boston.  He is dominating in an inferior basketball league so whatever numbers that he puts up are not impressive to me.

The Celtics may look to add a scorer and/or  a center that can rebound and defend.  I do not see where he fits the team needs. He was always a decent rebounder but he cannot defend against 7 footers. He cannot be effective at center because he is undersized.  I am not impressed with his 3 pt FG percentage.  There is less distance from the arc in Chinese basketball.  You cannot translate any Chinese numbers over to NBA numbers.  He played 4 years with Boston.  His last year in Boston he shot 28% from deep, year before that it was 28% year before that 26% year before that 20%.

The train already left the station and he missed the final all aboard call.

I am happy he has a job and while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I cannot envision Boston wasting a roster spot in some ill conceived reclamation project.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:51 pm

If my memory serves me well there were two reasons why Sully left Boston:

1.  His weight problem
2.  His contract expectations

He wasn't a problem child, it wasn't due to lack of skill.

His contract with Toronto was for $6M/1 year.  His most recent contract in China was for $1.4M/1 year.  That's one helluva drop.  I'm sure he could be persuaded to come back to the NBA for a vet minimum contract for the rest of this year which, for a player with 5 years NBA experience, is $1.7M.  His "contract expectations" shouldn't be an issue.

Is he what we need?  Hmm, we could use more physical presence, but Sully isn't a shot blocker nor is he a mobile big.  He's a shorter Baynes.  Better passer, probably.

There will be time, after the Chinese League season ends later this week, to consider him.  Adding to the confusion is that we have that DPE which will be used on someone.  It is assumed that Danny is waiting for the trade deadline, 2/8, to either get someone just before the deadline as part of a salary dump by some team or pick up someone who is getting bought out just after the deadline passes.  I do not, therefore, expect Danny to do anything with any player before 2/6 and maybe not until 2/12.  So, a minimum 2 weeks from now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks for the great comments. I believe closure is possible.

wideclyde - I agree it is a miserable brand of basketball. I'm just watching Sully. In the games from a few months ago, he was much more out of shape. He'd retreat to defense during opponent free throws.

Fast forward a couple months, and he is now playing most minutes and is hustling all over the court. I think his prime goals have been to help his teammates and lose weight. He plays as a teammate. I respect that. Maybe someday he will be a coach and it was this experience which showed it as a possibility. He is a smart player.

His ball dribbling is good. He is a passer like Horford, not that good, but it is definitely a big part of his offense. He has a nice fade-a-way jumper. He can bully roll to the hoop for those in close shots. He has amazing touch.

Thanks Bob for the info. Only two more weeks.

dboss, I probably agree with you, but I obviously wouldn't be disappointed if Danny signs him.

I think he has the potential to be a nice bench player at veteran peanuts.

I hope he signs and sticks with an NBA team.

I do think Sully would make the team stronger and make it easier to pamper Horford minutes down the stretch.

If Olynyk can carve out a bench career, I see no reason Sully can't unless his knees blow out or he regains weight.

It was the dog days of 2017-18 Boston Celtics for fans. I found myself a diversion to not get too wrapped up in this season's ups and downs.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next