Shamrock1000
NYCelt
kdp59
dboss
Phil Pressey
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

CORRECTION!!!

The Shenzhen Leopards' regular season ends on 2/11 AND NOT ON 1/26 LIKE I THOUGHT.  I'm sure there will be playoff games soon after the last league game ends.  The Leopards are currently in 7th place with the same record, 19-10, with the Beijing Dragons (not the Flying Dragons, that's another team).  I do not know how playoff seeding works in the Chinese League but with 20 teams it is certainly reasonable for the top 8 to make the playoffs and that would include Sully's Shenzhen Leopards.  Regardless, we have seen year after year where players in the Chinese League would be available to be signed by an NBA team in time to be eligible for the playoffs.

The team lists Sully as 206-F-25.  For one horrible moment I thought that first number referred to kgs (then his position and then his age).  That would make him 453#.  Then I realized it was cms, which would make him 6'8 1/2" and I started breathing again.  With Sully you cannot be too sure...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm ready for Danny to bring back Jared Sullinger

Post by kdp59 Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:33 am

for some clarity on the Chinese leagues level of play (or lack there of):

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/Chinese-CBA/stats

Yes, Sully is averaging 31 pt and 17 reb per game

But, Shavlik Randolph ( remember this career NBA END of the bencher?) is averaging 29.6 pt and 13.6 Reb per game

case closed!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Kdp, I had never watched the CBA before. It's obvious that most of the players are scrubs. My opinion is that Sully has accomplished what he needed to do to lose weight. The other thing I noticed is that Sully has not been a ball hog. He plays within the team concept. He gets a lot of touches only because he is the most talented player every game.

So, I agree the case is closed in that basketball in China is pitiful. But I think the case is still open for whether or not Jared Sullinger makes it back to the NBA.

I think he can do it. If Tyler Zeller is still in the NBA, then why not Sully? Yet, I think Zeller will soon be out of the league, so maybe I shouldn't mention him.

Getting stats in the CBA proves nothing. I agree. But I'm not sure that is what matters for this story. Going to China enabled Jared to play big minutes and run off a lot of fat. Sullinger proved on Boston that he can contribute to an NBA team. So if he is in good shape, then what is to stop him from returning to the NBA? His fitting in with the Leopards should not be taken for granted. A lot of the Americans playing there look bitter. I see in Sully's eyes a pure love for the game. He still has the spark.

I don't think he'll become an all-star or possibly even a starter, but I sincerely believe he has what it takes to be an NBA player as long as he is healthy and in shape. And if the league is going small, I could see Sullinger fitting in well at some small ball center. I see him with potential to be a solid rotation big. Like you said much earlier, his challenge with weight to the side has always been his tweener height.

I'm impressed that he lost the weight more than anything. I wish him luck in keeping it off. I'm rooting for him. I think he can do it. If by chance he found this thread (unless China censors us), I hope he realizes that he is not alone due to the internet and still has people believing in him.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 pm

So how much does he actually weigh?

Would he agree not to launch a lot of 3 pointers? Will he commit to putting his not so fat ass down on the block?

In terms of Minutes he would probably take minutes away from Theis. You okay with that because I'm not.

Sorry Phil but thinking about Sully back with Boston is like having a dream and forgetting about it when you wake up. The only way for me to recall the dream would be to walk past a local eatery. lol

yum, yum.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 am

flower
dboss wrote:So how much does he actually weigh?

Would he agree not to launch a lot of 3 pointers?  Will he commit to putting his not so fat ass down on the block?

In terms of Minutes he would probably take minutes away from Theis.  You okay with that because I'm not.

Sorry Phil but thinking about Sully back with Boston is like having a dream and forgetting about it when you wake up.  The only way for me to recall the dream would be to walk past a local eatery.  lol

yum, yum.  

dboss

Our own Al Horford and Paul Milsap ruined Sully by exposing he couldn’t defend either at all. He was expanding so much energy getting destroyed on defense that he had pretty much nothing left on the offensive side either. Even without a 3 point shot, he could have been a version of Kevin Love without the 3 that could have helped us, a Paul Silas type, but he didn’t have the passion or hunger to stay in the league.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:45 am

cowens/oldschool wrote: flower
dboss wrote:So how much does he actually weigh?

Would he agree not to launch a lot of 3 pointers?  Will he commit to putting his not so fat ass down on the block?

In terms of Minutes he would probably take minutes away from Theis.  You okay with that because I'm not.

Sorry Phil but thinking about Sully back with Boston is like having a dream and forgetting about it when you wake up.  The only way for me to recall the dream would be to walk past a local eatery.  lol

yum, yum.  

dboss

Our own Al Horford and Paul Milsap ruined Sully by exposing he couldn’t defend either at all. He was expanding so much energy getting destroyed on defense that he had pretty much nothing left on the offensive side either. Even without a 3 point shot, he could have been a version of Kevin Love without the 3 that could have helped us, a Paul Silas type, but he didn’t have the passion or hunger to stay in the league.

He had the hunger.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:40 am

Phil,

I agree with you that Sully will play in the NBA again. As will Terrance Jones, Brandon Jennings and Andrew Nicholson. All went there this year to get a payday after not being offered any guaranteed money from an NBA team.

Fact is all 4 of those guys have proven they CAN play in the NBA and they are young enough to get deals somewhere in the NBA.

I think I said before, I would be fine if Danny signed Sully for the rest of the year using the DPE. He would at least know Brad's system and what his expectations would be in it.

he might even fill the 10th spot role more effectively than Semi.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:22 pm

kdp59 wrote:Phil,

I agree with you that  Sully will play in the NBA again. As will Terrance Jones, Brandon Jennings and Andrew Nicholson. All went there this year to get a payday after not being offered any guaranteed money from an NBA team.

Fact is all 4 of those guys have proven they CAN play in the NBA and they are young enough to get deals somewhere in the NBA.

I think I said before, I would be fine if Danny signed Sully for the rest of the year using the DPE. He would at least know Brad's system and what his expectations would be in it.

he might even fill the 10th spot role more effectively than Semi.

kdp,

I wouldn't use the DPE for Sully. We need use the DPE to acquire a MUCH better player than Sully.

I would sign Sully only with the vet minimum exception. We would have to open up a roster slot for this, some end of the bench player would have to be released.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Unless Danny can pry away T. Evans or L. Williams for a draft pick, I am not sure there may be any better players available than Sully for that Eddie Jarrell roster spot

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Sullinger is an ex-Celtic and interesting story. I am actually feeling a bit of Sully withdrawal and must watch the latest game.

If Smart is going to keep shooting, Sullinger is much better than him. He'd be a bigger Morris and better team player. Maybe he'd eat into Theis minutes. He'd compete. I think Sullinger is better than Olynyk for big man pg skills. Sully is what he is. I'm not fixated on his return to the Celtics as much as seeing if he can make it back to the NBA. I'm thinking 30 for 30 for this thread's direction.

He has to keep at it. The NBA is very competitive towards the end of rosters. But he's only 25.

What's his weight? One can only become a voyeur and try to zoom in on his physique. My eyes aren't what they used to be. He looks in shape to me. I remember him as forty or whatever pounds overweight. What did Big Baby top out at? Shaq is huge. Some of these guys let themselves go. Thomas Hamilton had skills.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 pm

I think there's better players we can trade for with the DPE than Sully, who would struggle against NBA talent at this point.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 am

k_j_88 wrote:I think there's better players we can trade for with the DPE than Sully, who would struggle against NBA talent at this point.

KJ

Opinions do not equate to absolute truths.

My opinions are that Sully has lost the weight, runs, shoots, passes, rebounds and plays team offense unlike Morris. He has NBA skills. He is a proven NBA player. I base my opinions on watching actual Jared Sullinger basketball footage. He has the same amazing hands. He either always sucked or you're wrong, imho.

Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:18 am

Yay, Shavlik Randolph is playing in this one. Too bad Pressey is in Barcelona, or this would be a doozy. I'm pumped and jacked over the big Celtics win against Denver and am watching bonus basketball from China.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2