mulcogiseng
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
wideclyde
worcester
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Brad's use of Jaylen confounds me. - Page 4 Empty Re: Brad's use of Jaylen confounds me.

Post by worcester Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Yep, Al has been a defensive force too. We are a very smart and tenacious D.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Brad's use of Jaylen confounds me. - Page 4 Empty Re: Brad's use of Jaylen confounds me.

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
mulcogiseng wrote:cow,
Jaylen's going to be getting votes but this isn't his year for honors like that. It's truly amazing how much better Jaylen is now over where he was this time last year. He was just coming back to form from a very inconsistent first year. He exploded during the playoffs, really upping his game. He has shown similar improvement this season and knows that there are times he can put the team on his back and carry on both ends of the floor. I think one of the problems he faces is that he gets a lot more press about his athleticism going to the hoop and hitting the corner 3 than he gets for his D although I'm sure the players are aware more than fans in other cities. He might make the ASG this next year or at least get more serious consideration,  and he may start getting serious votes for end of season honors as well. The thing is, he has never been over hyped the way players like Simmons and Mitchell are. He has earned every plaudit he has received. Tatum is following a similar track. What a nice problem for Danny and Brad to solve.

Really? I got to disagree, we have the no 1 defense in the league I believe, at least most of the year. Our perimeter defense is no 1, Jaylen leads the team in challenged 3 point shots, he’s our best perimeter defender, I think he’s earned being all defensive this year. If not who’s a better perimeter or wing defender than him, give me names...???
Smart
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 pm

worcester wrote:Yep, Al has been a defensive force too. We are a very smart and tenacious D.

Tenacious D?  You mean Jack Black?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
mulcogiseng wrote:cow,
Jaylen's going to be getting votes but this isn't his year for honors like that. It's truly amazing how much better Jaylen is now over where he was this time last year. He was just coming back to form from a very inconsistent first year. He exploded during the playoffs, really upping his game. He has shown similar improvement this season and knows that there are times he can put the team on his back and carry on both ends of the floor. I think one of the problems he faces is that he gets a lot more press about his athleticism going to the hoop and hitting the corner 3 than he gets for his D although I'm sure the players are aware more than fans in other cities. He might make the ASG this next year or at least get more serious consideration,  and he may start getting serious votes for end of season honors as well. The thing is, he has never been over hyped the way players like Simmons and Mitchell are. He has earned every plaudit he has received. Tatum is following a similar track. What a nice problem for Danny and Brad to solve.

Really? I got to disagree, we have the no 1 defense in the league I believe, at least most of the year. Our perimeter defense is no 1, Jaylen leads the team in challenged 3 point shots, he’s our best perimeter defender,

I think he’s earned being all defensive this year. If not who’s a better perimeter or wing defender than him, give me names...???
Smart

That could be a fair debate as no question Smart is a pit bull defender, I look at Smart as more a backcourt defender, best defending the 1 and 2, Jaylen has got to be the better wing defender, can handle pretty much any 2 or 3 and has defended Lebron and Durant better than anyone IMHO.

Was waiting on someone to name another wing defender as good or better than Jaylen with Kawhi out and Lebron usually not defending the best offensive player so they can save him for for offense....the best I can come up with is Paul George as a player in his peak that will definitely be all defensive and for a young and up and coming defender I would have to go with Justice Winslow.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Does anyone on this board know what criteria is used in selecting defensive player awards ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately, the main parameters for DPOY are number of rebounds and blocks. It's easier. Those "pundits" who vote don't have to watch that many games. They look at those numbers, and select from the first 10. Easy-peasy. Seldom the actually great defenders get into that group.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:32 pm

For years it’s always been the best defensive big/anchor on the best defensive team that has been getting the award, as the game has gotten more perimeter oriented, perimeter players like Kawhi have been in vogue recently. Draymond Green also won it recently, as a versatile 4 that could defend in space, but I personally didn’t agree with that choice.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Paul Pierce just said on ESPN, Anthony Davis should be DPoY....I agree with him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:56 pm

sinus and cowens

If what you both say is the Gospel - Then It's all personal eyeball selection without any given category of stats as a reference point. Yikes.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:26 am

Swish,
I'm not Mark, Luke, Matthew or John. I just like the game of basketball, have a little knowledge of it and watch a few games (mostly when Celtics are playing). I base my opinion on that and on the comments of people who forgot about basketball more than I ever will know, e.g. Tommy, Hubie, etc.
Also, I'm of the opinion that all these DPOY, MVP, etc. mostly are popularity contests.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 am

Rudy Gobert is a great defender too.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4