worcester
mrkleen09
cowens/oldschool
18 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Jaylen and Jayson Empty Jaylen and Jayson

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 am

Thought it would be fun to start a thread on 2 J’s since they are such a big part of the franchise. Love that they are getting the opportunity to shine/carry us this year. Last year, if they missed a couple shots early, they usually wouldn’t get a chance to catch their rythmn....someone else was dominating the ball and too many guys were demanding shots. Jaylen showed me something, against the Clippers recently, thought the elite defenders of Clippers shut him down. Heat also have very good defenders at the wing and Jaylen really went off. Had no trouble doing it inside, outside, had one 3 with Winslow draped all over him on his shooting hand. Amazing how good his long ball has gotten recently, again so glad he’s allowed to get his shots and opportunities, last year he was wasted in the pecking order.

On another note been hearing a lot of disgruntled Knick fans on sports radio saying why did they sign Morris, that all he does is stunt the growth of Knox and Barrett...??? What I’m loving about the J’s this year is even when their shot is off, they can still help us in many ways and as they are progressing in all phases they are totally sharing the ball and looking to make the right play.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Jaylen and Jayson Empty Re: Jaylen and Jayson

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:54 am

They are ahead of schedule IMO. Two stars in the making.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:58 am

They might not just be 2 all stars in the making, but 2 superstars. Tatum shined against Clippers, when they get into a zone, they can do it against anybody....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 am

Tatum is defending and rebounding better than he ever....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:19 am

Defense is the thing that will set them apart. Buddy Hield for example is a superior offensive player. But his defense, not so much.

Jaylen and Jayson will both be 20/10 and lockdown defenders. They can already guard 4 positions, and as Jayson adds even more muscle over coming years - he will be able to take anyone down in the post. Bright days ahead.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Defense is the thing that will set them apart.  Buddy Hield for example is a superior offensive player.  But his defense, not so much.

Jaylen  and Jayson will both be 20/10 and lockdown defenders.  They can already guard 4 positions, and as Jayson adds even more muscle over coming years - he will be able to take anyone down in the post.  Bright days ahead.  

Absolutely, loved the play where Jaylen used his speed on Adebeyo got right at the rim and bully balled him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:36 am

cowens/oldschool wrote: Absolutely, loved the play where Jaylen used his speed on Adebeyo got right at the rim and bully balled him.

100%. Jaylen will soon be as strong as Jimmy Butler with superior length and defensive ability.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:40 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote: Absolutely, loved the play where Jaylen used his speed on Adebeyo got right at the rim and bully balled him.

100%.  Jaylen will soon be as strong as Jimmy Butler with superior length and defensive ability.  

I was just saying to my son Jaylen is better than Butler right now....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:46 am

So glad you guys are mentioning their D. That's what sets them apart. Many players have good offensive games. The J's now have both, and Jayson has turned into a rebounder as well. Jayson is scoring 21.0 per game with 1.5 steal and 7 rebounds, not too shabby. Jaylen is scoring 19.9 ppg with 6.9 rb and 1.2 steals whiie averaging .718 from the line, up from .658 last year. Also his EFG% is .554% and his 3 point % is .382% while Jayson's has slumped a bit to .348% with an EFG% of .468. His saving grace is a ft% of .824. But I digress - their D is setting them apart from other elite scores, and they are only just now climbing out of their cradles.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03 am

Worse totally agree with every point, even when Jayson is not in an elite zone, he still does so many 2 way things that help us on the floor. I have no doubt his efficiency in all areas we improve and keep on improving as my eyes see the talent/foundation that is there, and he’s 21.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am

Every single night, Jayson Tatum does something that very few in the NBA can do. He does not do it consistently enough at this point, but he has size, strength and talent that shows elite level ability. 100% could be the next Paul George type player.

And Jaylen is a top 1% athlete who is only 22. And now that Danny has eased his mind with a very solid contract, he is free to go out and ball out every night.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:16 am

The Ballin' Brothers.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 am

Best thing for them was getting rid of the Kyrie....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:47 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Worse totally agree with every point, even when Jayson is not in an elite zone, he still does so many 2 way things that help us on the floor. I have no doubt his efficiency in all areas we improve and keep on improving as my eyes see the talent/foundation that is there, and he’s 21.
I was surprised after the game that he’d had a tough shooting game. He seemed so locked in defensively and on the boards that I just didn’t notice.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:50 am

Is there any question that Danny trading Celtic icon Paul Pierce and KG and JET to Brooklyn for a year or two worth of pain for all those draft picks wasn't one of the biggest heists in the history of the NBA?  We are set for the next decade.  

After Len Bias died people were talking about how good he would have been, how he would have been ROY, etc.  Red said the loss of Bias wasn't for that year, or even the next, but for the next 10 years.  That's what Danny did for us with the Two J's, in reverse, times 2.

And if Romeo Langford ever turns into something then he adds to this because he's the cherry on top of the Tatum pick, who was part of the Nets trade.  I realize this thread is about the J's, and Romeo can't even get on the court, but the J's are products of the Nets trade and therefore, indirectly, so is Romeo. Why anybody in their right mind would pick up the phone when they see Danny's caller ID is beyond me. He got Billy King and Bryan Colangelo fired for trading with Danny. Wanna be the Trifecta?

One down, one to go.  Lock the other J up, Danny!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am

so, if understand correctly.....

Jaylen may be Jimmy Butler or better.

Jason may be Paul George or better.

not too bad in wing oriented NBA, I would say.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:03 am

Do not discount Romeo who may turn into a real player.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:16 am

worcester wrote:Do not discount Romeo who may turn into a real player.
Lots of upside. This year, his goal is to get healthy and develop. With progress, maybe break into the rotation for the second half of the year.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:25 am

One hopes.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:35 am

worcester wrote:One hopes.

worcester,

"Man plans, and God laughs" - Old Yiddish joke
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am

"GM's trade with the Celtics, and Danny laughs."
- Old Boston joke.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am

kdp59 wrote:so, if understand correctly.....

Jaylen may be Jimmy Butler or better.

Jason may be Paul George or better.

not too bad in wing oriented NBA, I would say.

Hard to say, but in comparing both sets of players at the same age - those predictions sound very possible.

Paul George vs Jayson Tatum at 21

Jaylen and Jayson Pg_vs_10

Jimmy Butler vs Jaylen Brown at 23
Jaylen and Jayson Jb_vs_10
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 am

If you look at the top 12 players in the East,  Jason is # 7 in scoring and Jaylen is #11.  I think they are making a strong case for an allstar slot

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/player/_/conference/5/table/offensive/sort/avgPoints/dir/desc

First, I love both these guys.  Tremendous Young talent.  You have to give guys 3-5 years to develop.  As mrkleen09 pointed out, these two are ahead of schedule.

Celtics fans have often looked at the two of them and have made the assumption that Jason is the better player.  He has a smoothness about his game from day one.  Jaylen came in as a tremendous athlete with more flaws than Jason.  Jason has been the darling of Celtics fans and has been a starter from day one.  Jaylen became a casualty of too much depth last year and had to take a back seat to Jason.  Jaylen had a big jump from year one to year 2.  It took a high level of maturity and discipline for him to accept a reduced role in his 3rd year.

Before the season started I hoped that all 3 of our wings would get the minutes and shot opportunities that they did not have last year.

Bingo!

Walker has gone from a 20.5 FGA guy down to a 17.3 FGA guy.

Right now JT leads the team in FGA at 18.7.

I could make an argument that his shot attempts are too high given his offensive efficiency.  Each of the last 3 years as he takes more shots his shooting percentage has gone down.  His scoring efficiency has declined.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4065648/jayson-tatum

The most efficient scorer at the wing position (in absence of GH) is Jaylen Brown.  Maybe he should be getting more shots up and maybe Jason should be taking a few less.

Scoring however is just one aspect of their games.  I see almost a mirror image of the two of them in terms of their multi-positional value on defense and how both of them are becoming better all around players.

At this point I think both of them are untradeable.  They are building blocks.  The 3 guys on this team that should be untouchable are the J's and Marcus Smart.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:16 pm

In two years Tacko will be untouchable too, and not just because no one can reach up to him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Last year Jaylen scored 20 or more points in 14 games. This year he has already hit that mark in 10 games.

There is no clear #2 guy on this team. We have three guys who can claim that distinction. The scoring averages are comparable among our wings.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next