Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs?

5 posters

Go down

Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs? Empty Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs?

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 am

1 - Rozier, Wanamaker, PJ Dozier (2-way)
2 - Smart
Wing - Hayward/Tatum (one will start), Morris, Semi, Yabby
Big - Theis, Williams, Baynes (if Brad goes small and starts Hayward AND Tatum).

Thin at guard, needs more offense from the 2-spot (Jamal Crawford?) but a pretty impressive bench.

Good enough to make the playoffs?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs? Empty Re: Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs?

Post by dboss Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 am

This is an easy one. The answer is no.

The bench could not make the playoffs unless they had a bench. So if you eliminated 5 starters (Irving, Brown, Horford, Hayward and Tatum) and substituted

Smart, Rozier, Morris, Theis and Baynes who backs them up? Semi, Yabusele, Wanamaker, Dosier?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs? Empty Re: Could the Celtics' Bench Make the Playoffs?

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm

That is a great bench, but not enough to make playoffs on their own.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:45 pm

While in no way am I trying to speak for BobH, I think what he's saying is our bench, as a starting 5, in comparison to the other starting 5's in the East, could/would be good enough (at least 8th best) to make the playoffs. Imo, it would be close, 7th seed at best. Bos, Tor, Phl, Ind, Mil, Was. definitely better. Cle, Mia, Det and our 2nd teamers going down to the wire for the last 2 spots.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:00 pm

If Baynes and Brown are considered starters with Kyrie and Al, it would be interesting having one of Hayward or Tatum joining Rozier, Smart, Morris and Theis. Scoring may be too much of an issue. Rozier would need to step as a scorer and playmaker in a big way. The defense though could be really strong. It seems to me like a better version of what Miami has put together.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:04 pm

willjr wrote:While in no way am I trying to speak for BobH, I think what he's saying is our bench, as a starting 5, in comparison to the other starting 5's in the East, could/would be good enough (at least 8th best) to make the playoffs. Imo, it would be close, 7th seed at best. Bos, Tor, Phl, Ind, Mil, Was. definitely better. Cle, Mia, Det and our 2nd teamers going down to the wire for the last 2 spots.

I think what he is saying is that Boston has a deep bench and several rotation players (Smart, Rozier and Morris) for example could step up into a starter role.

Maybe Bob can clarify since it would be presumptuous to speak for him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Considering the latest top 100 lists, it isn't outrageous to look at a team with Hayward/Tatum, Rozier, and Smart in the starting lineup as a playoff contender.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 pm

KyleCleric wrote:If Baynes and Brown are considered starters with Kyrie and Al, it would be interesting having one of Hayward or Tatum joining Rozier, Smart, Morris and Theis. Scoring may be too much of an issue. Rozier would need to step as a scorer and playmaker in a big way. The defense though could be really strong. It seems to me like a better version of what Miami has put together.

Kyle

I need to have some fun with this.

So what happened to the starters? Were they abducted by aliens? If you include either Hayward or Tatum instead of Baynes who starts at center for this playoff bound bench? Does Theis and/or Williams = playoff team??

I will say this. Boston has a great bench and given their draft assets they could assemble a bench that can compete for a playoff spot. Not yet though.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down