Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance

5 posters

Go down

Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance Empty Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:43 am

http://greenstreet.weei.com/

HOT CELTICS MIGHT NOT ONLY MAKE PLAYOFFS, BUT HAVE CHANCE TO ADVANCE
03.24.15 at 6:17 pm ET
By Julian Edlow  

Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance Usa-today-8367423.0

If the NBA and NHL playoffs were to start today, then the Celtics would be off to Atlanta for a first-round series while the Bruins cleaned out their lockers. Not many people in Boston saw this being the case on March 24.

Of course, the 31-39 Celtics still have 12 games to play, and while they currently sit in the East’s eighth seed, they are by no means a lock to make the playoffs. According to John Hollinger’s playoff odds on ESPN.com the C’s hold a 48.6 percent chance of landing in the postseason. If you want to see what the remainder of the regular season entails for all the teams competing for the final spots in the East, Ben Rohrbach gave us a pretty good look last week.

But let’s have some fun here. If the Celtics do make the playoffs, what’s their ceiling? We can all likely agree that if the Celts draw LeBron James‘ Cavaliers in the first-round that they stand no chance. Maybe they steal a game, but LeBron would prove to be too much. Boston could probably give the Hawks a good run and make it a series, but likely still fall in five or six games despite making Atlanta sweat.

What’s changed in the East over the past month is the fact that the Bucks are no longer locked into the sixth seed as they seemingly were just a month ago. Going into the All-Star break, Milwaukee had withstood Jabari Parker’s ACL tear and compiled a 30-23 record — becoming the first team to double their previous season’s win total (15) by the All-Star break in the following season. Since then? Frankly trading away Brandon Knight completely crippled them. Despite still holding onto the sixth seed by the skin of their teeth, the Bucks are just 4-13 since the break. Their 34-36 record means they are just three games ahead of the Celtics and a game and a half ahead of the Heat (who sit in control of the seven spot).

In their final 12 games, the C’s face seven opponents with losing records and five with winning records. If they can win seven or eight of those games (including two huge must-wins over the Bucks and games against the Heat and Pacers), the sixth seed is in sight. To further help Boston’s cause, Isaiah Thomas is expected to return on Wednesday for the important matchup against Miami, and ideally the rest of the playoff push.

The C’s clearly wouldn’t own home court, but would a matchup against the third seeded Raptors, or potentially Derrick Rose-less Bulls be something these resilient Celtics couldn’t overcome? Personally, I’d like their chances.

The Raptors have lost 11 of their last 16 games, and look like they’ll be limping into the playoffs. They are also coming off a season in which they were upset on their home floor in game 7 of the first-round by Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett‘s Brooklyn squad. The Bulls may be a tougher opponent than Toronto, but with Rose’s future as uncertain as any player in the league, the feisty Celtics would surely have a shot at an upset here if Chicago were to climb into the third seed.

I don’t want to take the fun out of Brad Stevens‘ first playoff race by raising expectations. Like I said, we never expected this to be the case from the beginning.  So for now, enjoy these final 12 games. But if the C’s can get hot for this home stretch — with some help from Miami and Milwaukee — we could be watching a Celtics team that gets hot at just the right time go from making a little more noise than we thought this season to a whole lot more noise in the postseason.

bob

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance Empty Re: Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance

Post by Sam Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 am

Any playoff appearance would be great.  I think too little is being said about the amount of time it might take Isaiah Thomas (1) to get back to playing, (2) to get back into the flow with these Celtics, and (3) to reach top form.

I wish Brad didn't look so much like Alfred E. Neuman in that picture.

Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance MAD-Alfred-E-Neuman-Halloween-Mask

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance Empty Re: Hot Celtics Might Not Only Make Playoffs, But Have A Chance To Advance

Post by sinus007 Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:33 am

Hi,
I think it's time to vote what team the Celtics'd prefer to play in the Playoffs - GSW or SAS.
Why the heck not?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:34 pm

LOL....right after the Rondo and Green trades, we would have NEVER seen an article like this.

WOW

now I agree that Milwaukee is in such a tailspin that they may end up OUT of the playoffs.

BUT

I just can't see us any higher than 7th seed period. and if thats the case stay in 8th to play the Hawks!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:53 pm

All of this playoff talk and anticipation is absolutely great in my eyes. I have to admit that I hoped that this season would have shown some nice improvement over last year.

Talking about playoffs with a real chance to get there this season probably puts the Cs at least a half year ahead of my expectations since Garnett and Pierce were traded to Brooklyn.

Ainge gets some credit for some personnel changes, the players on this year's team get plenty of credit, but the most credit for this fast of a turnaround has to go to Brad Stevens and his staff.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:55 am

+1
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down