dboss
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME BROOKLYN NETS - AWAY Empty POST GAME BROOKLYN NETS - AWAY

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Drops Third Straight With 109-102 Loss Vs. Nets

NESN by Lauren Campbell on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 9:50PM

The Boston Celtics had no answer for the Brooklyn Nets in the third quarter Monday night.

A 44-point third from Brooklyn and 34 points from D’Angelo Russell were too much for Boston as it dropped its third straight contest in a 109-102 loss at Barclays Center.

Boston shot just 32.6 percent from the field and 31.6 percent from three in the first half to only add to road woes the team has faced during this road trip.

Jayson Tatum led the Celtics with a career-high 34 points, with Jaylen Brown (22) and Brad Wanamaker (13) being the only other shooters to tally double digits.

With the loss, the Celtics slipped to 25-18, while the Nets climbed to 22-23.

Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE:
PG: Terry Rozier
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Marcus Morris Sr.
C: Al Horford

TOUGH START FOR C’S
It took all of 29 seconds for Brad Stevens to call a timeout after Terry Rozier turned the ball over and got lost on defense leading to a D’Angelo Russell 3-pointer. Rozier tied the game up with a three of his own, but the opening 12 minutes belonged to the Nets who took a 27-25 lead into the second.

Rozier hit a three of his own to tie the game after the timeout, but that’s all he’d log in the first quarter.

Brooklyn went on an 8-0 run to take a 15-12 lead, but Boston answered back and took a one-point lead when Morris hit a fadeaway jumper and forced the Nets to call a timeout.

The Nets held on to a slim two-point lead, paced by Russel who had 10 points in 10 minutes. Morris led the C’s with eight, while Tatum was right behind him with six.

WANAMAKER CAPITALIZES ON PLAYING TIME
Boston was held scoreless for the first three minutes of the second until Brown hit a jumper to bring the C’s within four. They’d take the lead about halfway through the period when Al Horford sunk an easy two-pointer. But Wanamaker stole the show and brought the Celtics within one at the 5:10 mark.

Wanamaker stole the ball off a bad pass from Allen Turner and drew the foul and made one of his free-throws

The game remained close throughout the second and Tatum brought the game within one in the final seconds with a left-handed layup. The Nets would go into the half with a 46-45 lead. The biggest lead either team held through the first half was just six points.

Russell continued to pace all shooters with 15 points, while Tatum led Boston with 10. Wanamaker made his presence known on the court with eight points in 10 minutes.

NO ANSWER FOR RUSSELL
Much as they did all game, the Celtics played from behind but kept the game tight before the Nets took their biggest lead of the night three minutes into the third when they went up 59-52 thanks to a Russel trey.

But Boston chipped away at lead with help from a Brown 3-pointer and monstrous Rozier dunk to come within two.

Brooklyn quickly answered back with a dunk shot of their own when Stevens called for a timeout. The Nets continued to build their lead with huge help from Russell, who the Celtics just didn’t seem to have an answer for.

Brooklyn continued to extend its lead when it went on a 20-2 run to go up by 20 with 1:48 left in the third. The C’s would try to chip away at the deficit, but Russell and Co. put up 44 points and took a 24-point lead into the fourth.

Russell’s 33 points continued to lead all shooters while Tatum paced Boston with 19.

NETS CLOSE IT OUT
The Celtics came within 16 with 5:33 left to play, highlighted by a monster dunk from Brown.

While Boston certainly made it interesting by trimming the Nets’ lead to seven with under two minutes remaining after Brooklyn led by as much as 27, it wasn’t enough despite Tatum dropping 15 points in the quarter and the team going on an 28-8 run as the C’s dropped their third straight contest.

PLAY OF THE GAME
Tatum does it all.

UP NEXT
The Celtics will get back to work Wednesday when they welcome the Toronto Raptors to TD Garden. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME BROOKLYN NETS - AWAY Empty Re: POST GAME BROOKLYN NETS - AWAY

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 pm

So what type of team do the Celtics want to be?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

I had a gut feeling this trap game would snare the Boston Celtics.

With Marcus and Irving out other guys really needed to step up.  This was Terry Rozier's chance to shine but other than an impressive baseline dunk all we got was too many dull moments.  

yes Russell had a great shooting night dropping 34 but Tatum match that and Brown played very well dropping 22.

But the real story of this game which is turning into one bad sequel after another was the totally inept play of Al Horford.  They beat our ass on the glass 55-41 and Al did very little to at least make the rebounding battle competitive.  He finished with 2 rebounds and 8 points.  His only bright spot, 4 assists. He only played 20 minutes. I guess he needs more rest to face Toronto or whatever.  On a night when the very dependable Morris did not have his mojo (3-11)  not enough guys stepped up especially Al and Rozier. Gordon Hayward was useless. Theis, bless his heart is no true center

So who are the Celtics.  The Celtics are a good team that lacks a reliable big man.  I have seen this one before.  Our big guy is toast.  He's finished.  We can only go so far with him anchoring the middle.  Maybe when Aron returns it will give us a boast but the Celtics moving forward must address this issue.

The AD rumors are for real.  Danny knows he needs a stud.  That is what is missing from this team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 pm

dboss wrote:I had a gut feeling this trap game would snare the Boston Celtics.

With Marcus and Irving out other guys really needed to step up.  This was Terry Rozier's chance to shine but other than an impressive baseline dunk all we got was too many dull moments.  

yes Russell had a great shooting night dropping 34 but Tatum match that and Brown played very well dropping 22.

But the real story of this game which is turning into one bad sequel after another was the totally inept play of Al Horford.  They beat our ass on the glass 55-41 and Al did very little to at least make the rebounding battle competitive.  He finished with 2 rebounds and 8 points.  His only bright spot, 4 assists.  He only played 20 minutes.  I guess he needs more rest to face Toronto or whatever.  On a night when the very dependable Morris did not have his mojo (3-11)  not enough guys stepped up especially Al and Rozier.  Gordon Hayward was useless.  Theis, bless his heart is no true center

So who are the Celtics.  The Celtics are a good team that lacks a reliable big man.  I have seen this one before.  Our big guy is toast.  He's finished.  We can only go so far with him anchoring the middle.  Maybe when Aron returns it will give us a boast but the Celtics moving forward must address this issue.

The AD rumors are for real.  Danny knows he needs a stud.  That is what is missing from this team.

^^^100%
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Brown's scoring is very misleading. He did nothing in Q1 (2pts) & Q2 (4pts) Q3 (6 points).

It was only when the game was over early did he show up and score 10 points in Q4.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm

112288 wrote:Brown's scoring is very misleading. He did nothing in Q1 (2pts) & Q2 (4pts) Q3 (6 points).

It was only when the game was over early did he show up and score 10 points in Q4.

Your complaining about him, he was the least of this teams many problems tonight....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:56 pm

MY POINT IS HE IS LIKE A YOYO! AND BTW WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR HIM IN PAST GAMES. THE GUY IS SHOOTING BELOW 30% BEHIND THE ARC FOR LORD SAKE.

Last edited by 112288 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:56 pm

dboss wrote:I had a gut feeling this trap game would snare the Boston Celtics.

But the real story of this game which is turning into one bad sequel after another was the totally inept play of Al Horford.  They beat our ass on the glass 55-41 and Al did very little to at least make the rebounding battle competitive.  He finished with 2 rebounds and 8 points.  His only bright spot, 4 assists.  He only played 20 minutes.  I guess he needs more rest to face Toronto or whatever.  On a night when the very dependable Morris did not have his mojo (3-11)  not enough guys stepped up especially Al and Rozier.  Gordon Hayward was useless.  Theis, bless his heart is no true center

Dull moments would have been nice, he was beyond terrible, did you see how he started the game? Fastest time out in the league so far this season. Shocking how far he has regressed in all areas....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 pm

112288 wrote:MY POINT IS HE IS LIKE A YOYO!

He needs playing time and shots, he has been playing better this month, more minutes, more impact plays he can make. If Hayward only played 12 minutes, we would have had a better chance and I hate to single him out, he just can’t do a thing except pass the ball back to whoever threw it to him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 pm

He’s shooting .438 from 3 this month

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 pm

I think the article I just posted by Charles Barkley is right. Take a look.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Cowan,

Give me a break on that stat. Oh BTW we are only 2 weeks into a full month, see me in April as Sam would say.

The rest of the team is way off as well. I think Brad may have hit a wall 'cause I see nothing here. The team is completely deflated.

As for the bench being deep..........I don't buy that garbage statement. They are ok but not good if you are going to win a championship.

Where is you lockdown defender off the bench or your sniper who you can count on for an offensive boost, or your rim protector when you need a stop. We have none in all 3 categories sitting on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 pm

112288 wrote:Cowan,

Give me a break on that stat.  Oh BTW we are only 2 weeks into a full month, see me in April as Sam would say.

The rest of the team is way off as well.  I think Brad may have hit a wall 'cause I see nothing here.  The team is completely deflated.

As for the bench being deep..........I don't buy that garbage statement.  They are ok but not good if you are going to win a championship.

Where is you lockdown defender off the bench or your sniper who you can count on for an offensive boost, or your rim protector when you need a stop.  We have none in all 3 categories sitting on the bench.

He’s still putting his game together, a lot of players take a few years to get to an all star level. He got off to a bad start, he still as dboss would say oozes talent, given minutes he can make highlight reel plays that even most all stars cannot make, take away those minutes he has less opportunities. He will be a future all star for us or a main chip to bring in a HoF talent.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Give me a break on that stat.  Oh BTW we are only 2 weeks into a full month, see me in April as Sam would say.

The rest of the team is way off as well.  I think Brad may have hit a wall 'cause I see nothing here.  The team is completely deflated.

As for the bench being deep..........I don't buy that garbage statement.  They are ok but not good if you are going to win a championship.

Where is you lockdown defender off the bench or your sniper who you can count on for an offensive boost, or your rim protector when you need a stop.  We have none in all 3 categories sitting on the bench.

Bro it’s cowens not Cowan....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 am

112288 wrote:I think the article I just posted by Charles  Barkley is right.  Take a look.

I’d rather hear your own ideas, Barkley’s been wrong on many levels, he knows the game, but he’s wrong on a lot of stuff all the time....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:39 am

wait until Toronto comes to town...it should be horrible.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE BRO

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 am

kdp59,

I agree. I'm expecting BOS to get down by 30 again and then let it balloon to 50. That should set Danny off to the stratosphere I'm thinking.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Don't have a cow, man.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 am

Cow for short lol

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 am

In that pivotal 3rd quarter during big Nets run Tatum was glued to the bench and GH was in and having trouble moving or doing anything at all offensively, then when the lead got to 20, Brad put Tatum in, but took out Jaylen leaving Hayward still on the floor. Big mistake, I want Hayward to get better as much as anybody, but when he’s laboring that bad, clanking shots that bad, you can’t give him that many minutes in a tight game. All those minutes by Hayward killed us. One glimmer was it was great to see Tatum and Brown going off, attacking basket in variety of ways, best scoring game of the year for Tatum,we have got to get 2 J’s going on all cylinders or it’s gonna be early exit from playoffs.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 am

Russell may never have another game like that.  He had no idea what city he was in or even if he was still on Planet Earth.  7-13 from 3 when he's shooting 36.4% from 3 for the season and this is his best season ever.

Kyrie called out the young players for not playing hard.  Who played hard last night and who didn't?  Al Horford didn't.  Morris was 3-11 and 1-4 from 3.  He's shooting 49.5% and 44.8% from 3 on the season.  Morris had an off game.  He's been so hot for the entire season he's entitled to an off game once in a while.  What's unfortunate is that his off game was after 2 straight losses, which gives us this 3 game losing streak.  Al Horford, on the other hand, is starting to worry me a bit.  He hasn't hit a 3 in the last 5 games.  He's only averaging 7.6ppg over those 5 games.  His rebounds are down.  He's starting, in my opinion, to look a little old and worn.  What confuses me is that he has been averaging 23.5mpg over the past 10 games, but is averaging 27.8mpg for the season.  So, if he is he tired, why?  Is his knee issues still there?  That is concerning.  Gordon Hayward didn't play hard.  I understand he might not get his explosiveness back until next year, if ever, but play hard with what you got.

Who played hard?  Young'un Jayson Tatum played hard and scored 34 on a blistering 12-19.  That's what happens when you play hard, good things happen. Young'un Jaylen Brown played hard and scored 22 on 9-18.  Young'un Yabusele played hard.  Yabby's boxscore isn't impressive but he was constantly in the middle of stuff.  He was credited (debited?) with a turnover that happened because Jaylen was running up court and wasn't looking at the ball.  Yabby did the right thing, he got the loose ball, was in some traffic and passed it up to the man on the wing, Jaylen wasn't watching like he should have been.  2 blocks by Yabusele in 13 minutes.  Our bench got a 27 point deficit down to 7.  Kyrie's words sank into the heads of the players he was talking about but didn't sink into the heads of the players who already knew this.  In fact, one of them got into an argument with a young'un over not playing hard, remember?

Brad Wanamaker had a "look what we found!" game.  Played hard on both ends.  A very solid game.  I watched him carefully, because he was sometimes assigned to guard the unconscious D'Angelo Russell.  He was right up in Russell's jersey, giving him no space to shoot.  Russell had 10 points after 1, Wanamaker played 2 minutes.  Russell had 15 points at the half, so he scored 5 points in the 2nd quarter, and Wanamaker played 9 of those 12 minutes.  Russell had 33 points, an 18 point quarter, and Wanamaker only played 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter.  Russell scored 1 point, one, in 7 minutes of play in the 4th quarter and Brad Wanamaker played the entire 4th quarter, all 12 minutes (for those of you who wonder why go through all the trouble of copy-and-pasting quarterly boxscores during the Game On! thread, this is why.  It helps to document what my eyes saw).  Wanamaker is a 29 year old rookie but doesn't play like one.  He is obsoleting Rozier.

It's like a trapdoor has opened up under Terry Rozier and he fell through it and is on his way to Basketball Hell.  It's unbelievable, and yet, it's not.  His numbers this year are consistent with his career numbers.  What's unbelievable is that he's playing like the player he really is and not like the player we saw in the last month of the season and the playoffs last year after Kyrie went down.  Someone on the Game On! thread last night said that Chris Mannix still thinks that Rozier hasn't hurt his value much and will still be offered $15M/year next year.  I hope so.  Then Danny trade trade his ass to some fool who thinks he's worth it and we can get a good player back.

Who would have thought that a 32 year old Australian journeyman would be so damn important?  Jerome Allen had 19 points and was 9-10 from the line because nobody could keep him off the boards or out of the paint.  Sleepy Al Horford didn't and Daniel Theis couldn't.  Williams was culpable a bit too.  I saw at least one play where Allen crashed the offensive boards on a Russell penetration and got there before Williams.  He's a rookie, I know, but if The Time Lord is going to suspend the passage of time on his blocks we should likewise do so to point out why he's not getting as many minutes as many of us think he deserves.  It's because he is playing on raw talent and instinct, which are pretty good, but is still missing defensive rotations and assignments.

Kurucs likes to play us.  The fallacy is to say "he plays great against us, trade for him!".  His best scoring games are against Boston (21.5ppg), Indiana (18.0ppg) and Phoenix (16.0ppg).  He is averaging only 5ppg vs Toronto.  Hmmm.  Sort of a big game player.  I like that.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kurucro01/splits/

Nets fans finally beat us, they are now 1 out of our last 9 contests, and they think they're hot shit. Starting chanting "Kyrie's leaving! Kyrie's leaving!" last night. Hearing that made me feel good. When an opponent thinks that beating you is like winning the Championship in 4 you know you probably shouldn't feel as bad about the loss because they apparently feel pretty damn good about finally beating you.

The sky isn't falling but some of the plaster in the ceiling is.  I'm going to stick with something I heard a wise man say many times, "See me in April!".  To Celtic fans the only season that really matters is the 2nd one.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071321

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:In that pivotal 3rd quarter during big Nets run Tatum was glued to the bench and GH was in and having trouble moving or doing anything at all offensively, then when the lead got to 20, Brad put Tatum in, but took out Jaylen leaving Hayward still on the floor. Big mistake, I want Hayward to get better as much as anybody, but when he’s laboring that bad, clanking shots that bad, you can’t give him that many minutes in a tight game. All those minutes by Hayward killed us. One glimmer was it was great to see Tatum and Brown going off, attacking basket in variety of ways, best scoring game of the year for Tatum,we have got to get 2 J’s going on all cylinders or it’s gonna be early exit from playoffs.

Cowens,

At halftime Tatum had played 16 minutes. After 3 he had played 28 minutes. That means he played the entire 3rd quarter, all 12 or rounded up to it.

At halftime Hayward had played 15 minutes. After 3 he had played 21 minutes. That means he played 6 out of the 12 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

These numbers are coming from page 4 of the Game On! thread (the halftime numbers) and page 5 (3rd quarter).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 am

Barkley is right in his article. You need a player who is a vet that is beyond the phase in his life of wanting to be a superstar and needing to prove it......he knows his strengths and weakness and just concentrates on his strengths when called upon. A role player.

Hey I am good at defense/offense and that is all I am going to do or visa versa, or I am great at setting picks or rebounding...........whatever!

Problem with the Celtics, they are too young and they all want to try and grab that brass ring..........hey, I don't want to be a role guy in the NBA making $9 million per, I want $25 million per or a max contract, so I have to show off my potential talent in order to get a huge contract.

Problem is, most will wind up as role players.

We need good vet players who can fill that role job and do the grunt work on the court and like doing it.

Look at the 2008 great Celtic team and their role players: Tony Allan - defense, Eddie Mansion House - score baby and play some tough defense, Posey - giving you tough defense and timely scoring, PJ Brown - rim protector, Powe - rebounding and toughness.

Now tell me the role players on the 2018-2019 Celtics and how they compare to the 2007-2008 World Champion Celtics!

Time to start tossing the salad and integrate some good role vet talent in with your core young talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 am

112288 go see my comments on the Barkley thread you started, having said that, wish we could have gotten Tyson Chandler earlier this year, he would have been perfect....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next