Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Thoughts...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

We just signed Kantor Empty Re: We just signed Kantor

Post by gyso Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Boston Celtics Agree to Terms With Enes Kanter

https://thebiglead.com/2019/07/01/celtics-enes-kanter-signs-free-agent/

The Boston Celtics made a complete 180 in the last week and a half; fans went from despairing over the departures of Al Horford and (to a significantly lesser extent) Kyrie Irving to celebrating the arrival of new franchise face Kemba Walker.

While the outlook is much brighter in July than it was in June, the Celtics still have a few obvious holes in their roster, the biggest being at center. With Horford leaving and Aron Baynes on his way to Phoenix via a draft-day trade, Boston was left with only Robert Williams and Daniel Theis as true centers. Williams is still as raw as they come, while Theis doesn’t have the bulk to play regular minutes at the five in the NBA.

They solved that problem to some degree on Monday afternoon as Shams Charania announced the team agreed to terms with center Enes Kanter.

Given the Celtics desperately needed somebody to just soak up minutes, this is a good signing. Kanter will bring more than simply an able body, though; he’s a double-double machine on good nights who will be a big contributor in the rebounding effort, a nightly struggle for the Celtics over the last two seasons.

Kanter is also a sieve defensively who gives up more points than he provides. But the tutelage of Brad Stevens should go a long way there. Stevens had a tough year last season, but we’re only two years removed from him making Jordan Crawford Player of the Week. He’s still got it.

Overall, a good fit for Boston, and Kanter earned a $10 million contract, even if that’s a little lower than he was looking for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:37 pm

He can score and rebound. Strong dude, but not a great defender. For the price and what was available, I'd say its a good pick up.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Fantastic.  He can rebound and score in the post.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:40 pm

One thing that I have read it that he won't leave the country. Due to that, he won't be available to play in Toronto.

Can anyone confirm this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:41 pm

gyso wrote:Boston Celtics Agree to Terms With Enes Kanter

The Boston Celtics made a complete 180 in the last week and a half; fans went from despairing over the departures of Al Horford and (to a significantly lesser extent) Kyrie Irving to celebrating the arrival of new franchise face Kemba Walker.

While the outlook is much brighter in July than it was in June, the Celtics still have a few obvious holes in their roster, the biggest being at center. With Horford leaving and Aron Baynes on his way to Phoenix via a draft-day trade, Boston was left with only Robert Williams and Daniel Theis as true centers. Williams is still as raw as they come, while Theis doesn’t have the bulk to play regular minutes at the five in the NBA.

They solved that problem to some degree on Monday afternoon as Shams Charania announced the team agreed to terms with center Enes Kanter.

Given the Celtics desperately needed somebody to just soak up minutes, this is a good signing. Kanter will bring more than simply an able body, though; he’s a double-double machine on good nights who will be a big contributor in the rebounding effort, a nightly struggle for the Celtics over the last two seasons.

Kanter is also a sieve defensively who gives up more points than he provides. But the tutelage of Brad Stevens should go a long way there. Stevens had a tough year last season, but we’re only two years removed from him making Jordan Crawford Player of the Week. He’s still got it.

Overall, a good fit for Boston, and Kanter earned a $10 million contract, even if that’s a little lower than he was looking for.

Yay. I guess that answers my question I was just getting ready to ask. All morning long on NBA radio, SAS (Stupid Ass Scal) was saying we only had 4.6 mil to spend. I was pretty sure it was the 10 mil because of the Rozier deal. Am I correct or did something else go down?
Either way, that frigging Scal is a useless waste of money!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm

I think his concern is going to Europe because of some political issues associated with that Marvelous country called Turkey.

Last year he played in Toronto in November
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:

Yay. I guess that answers my question I was just getting ready to ask. All morning long on NBA radio, SAS (Stupid Ass Scal) was saying we only had 4.6 mil to spend. I was pretty sure it was the 10 mil because of the Rozier deal. Am I correct or did something else go down?

It is a 2 year deal for 10 million. I thought doing the sign and trade with Charlotte meant we would have 10 million this year - so, does this mean we still have 5 million?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Shams announced it as the full room exception so this would be it other than min contracts. Could change though by 7/6

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:

Even this long after the reports that the Rozier sign-and-trade made the full MLE possible, much of the media are still stuck with the discontinued Room Exception model.

I agree with many that we need two bigs.  Here's one.  Now we have the biannual exception.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ wrote:BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following:

Season  First-year salary

2017-18  $3.290 million

2018-19  $3.382 million

2019-20  $3.623 million

The Bi-Annual exception amount for the 2017-18 season was negotiated into the agreement. For each subsequent season the exception amount is determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous exception amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the exception amount also will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

This exception may not be used two years in a row (and if this exception was used under the previous CBA in 2016-17, it may not be used in 2017-18). It may be split and given to more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

A team that uses its Bi-Annual exception cannot go above the Apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Bi-Annual exception, it is hard-capped at the Apron (see question 20 for more information).
A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the Apron. See question number 13 for details. In addition, this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires following the last day of the regular season.

My comments:  The Bi-Annual exception for  this season is $3.623 million.  Now, who can we get for that money?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Noel?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:10 pm

gyso

That is a good question as Kantor does not provide the team with a high level of defense.  We should expect RW to get some minutes.  Not a lot of cheap center options left.  

I however would look to add a PF 

Centers: Maybe someone like JaVale McGee, Richaun Holmes,   
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:11 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Noel?
I read this weekend that Noel was going to stay in OKC
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:12 pm

dboss wrote:Fantastic.  He can rebound and score in the post.
Thought this would make you happy

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Noel?
I read this weekend that Noel was going to stay in OKC
Last night, it sounded like he was backing out of it

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:16 pm

This is what Spotrac shows. Not full MLE.

We just signed Kantor 2019-111

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:21 pm

I like this signing, he should be able to do 14-15 and 10. This guy when he gets his minutes is an imperfect workhorse.

Double digit boards is good enough for me....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Holy Cow, Enes the Menace had a PER of 22.3 last year and 20.6 for his career. Averaged almost 14 and 10 last year. For 5 million a year? Seems like a steal.

Al is getting 27.25 million a year from Philly. Is Al 22.25 million dollars better than Enes?

I am going to say it now: by mid-season, most of the NBA will have Enes envy.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:28 pm

It looks like Boston is at $104 million included the room exception for Kantor.  This conflicts with the reported $10 million but I am sure things will be flushed out.  Plus you have to add the rookies in.  What about Daniel Theis?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:30 pm

What we are still lacking is a high post/perimeter big.  Kanter is a much better interior scorer and rebounder than either Horford or Baynes but a much worse defender than either.  He is not an outside threat.  We still need someone big who can stretch the floor and then pass.

Danny's pulling rabbits out of his hat (or, in this case, he's pulling Turkish taffy).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank goodness!!

we still have Morris and Theis holds so both "could" be back, if there is mutual interest.

here is the link showing updated cap info (their total cap number is off right now and will get adjusted soon )

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

you can see we are at $129M WITH the holds including both first rounders, Morris , Theis, Wannamaker and for some reason they have Larkin and Gibson listed also.

Morris and Theis would get us to 13 roster spots. so we could try to find another vet minimum guy for extra depth at 14.

Last edited by kdp59 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:What we are still lacking is a high post/perimeter big.  Kanter is a much better interior scorer and rebounder than either Horford or Baynes but a much worse defender than either.  He is not an outside threat.  We still need someone big who can stretch the floor and then pass.

Danny's pulling rabbits out of his hat (or, in this case, he's pulling Turkish taffy).

bob

Was just looking at his stats on basketballreference.com. For his career, he has shot 37% from 16 feet out to the 3 pt line. He is also nearly an 80% FT shooter. These numbers suggest he could develop into a decent 3 point shooter.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:What we are still lacking is a high post/perimeter big.  Kanter is a much better interior scorer and rebounder than either Horford or Baynes but a much worse defender than either.  He is not an outside threat.  We still need someone big who can stretch the floor and then pass.

bob

Brad is sure to turn Kantor into a stretch 5.

He by the way is an excellent FT shooter for a center.  (career 78%)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:49 pm

I think great coaching emerges when you find a way to utilize the strength of your team.  Build the system around the players you have instead of the other way around.

Brad must institute a viable low post offense so that he can take advantage of guys like Kantor and the Rookie Grant.  I never really thought that Boston was able to take advantage of using a stretch 5 mainly with Al Horford  because our guys were not adept at getting to the rim. A low post option can also open up the perimeter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 pm

I;ve seen Grant compared to players like

a poor mans Draymond

Boris Diaw

Paul Millsap

PJ Tucker

Probably closer to Diaw then Draymond or Millsap. One thing they all have is high BB IQ.

I think this is what should allow Grant to play before most rookies.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next