Shamrock1000
gyso
cowens/oldschool
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

We just signed Kantor - Page 2 Empty Re: We just signed Kantor

Post by Berlin-T Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Kantor used to clean our clock on the offensive and defensive boards. He has a great low post game and sucks up rebounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I'm very, very happy that we got him.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm

gyso wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:
gyso wrote:Boston Celtics Agree to Terms With Enes Kanter

https://thebiglead.com/2019/07/01/celtics-enes-kanter-signs-free-agent/

The Boston Celtics made a complete 180 in the last week and a half; fans went from despairing over the departures of Al Horford and (to a significantly lesser extent) Kyrie Irving to celebrating the arrival of new franchise face Kemba Walker.

While the outlook is much brighter in July than it was in June, the Celtics still have a few obvious holes in their roster, the biggest being at center. With Horford leaving and Aron Baynes on his way to Phoenix via a draft-day trade, Boston was left with only Robert Williams and Daniel Theis as true centers. Williams is still as raw as they come, while Theis doesn’t have the bulk to play regular minutes at the five in the NBA.

They solved that problem to some degree on Monday afternoon as Shams Charania announced the team agreed to terms with center Enes Kanter.

Given the Celtics desperately needed somebody to just soak up minutes, this is a good signing. Kanter will bring more than simply an able body, though; he’s a double-double machine on good nights who will be a big contributor in the rebounding effort, a nightly struggle for the Celtics over the last two seasons.

Kanter is also a sieve defensively who gives up more points than he provides. But the tutelage of Brad Stevens should go a long way there. Stevens had a tough year last season, but we’re only two years removed from him making Jordan Crawford Player of the Week. He’s still got it.

Overall, a good fit for Boston, and Kanter earned a $10 million contract, even if that’s a little lower than he was looking for.

Yay. I guess that answers my question I was just getting ready to ask. All morning long on NBA radio, SAS (Stupid Ass Scal) was saying we only had 4.6 mil to spend. I was pretty sure it was the 10 mil because of the Rozier deal. Am I correct or did something else go down?
Either way, that frigging Scal is a useless waste of money!

Even this long after the reports that the Rozier sign-and-trade made the full MLE possible, much of the media are still stuck with the discontinued Room Exception model.

I agree with many that we need two bigs.  Here's one.  Now we have the biannual exception.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ wrote:BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following:

Season  First-year salary

2017-18  $3.290 million

2018-19  $3.382 million

2019-20  $3.623 million

The Bi-Annual exception amount for the 2017-18 season was negotiated into the agreement. For each subsequent season the exception amount is determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous exception amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the exception amount also will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

This exception may not be used two years in a row (and if this exception was used under the previous CBA in 2016-17, it may not be used in 2017-18). It may be split and given to more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

A team that uses its Bi-Annual exception cannot go above the Apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Bi-Annual exception, it is hard-capped at the Apron (see question 20 for more information).
A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the Apron. See question number 13 for details. In addition, this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires following the last day of the regular season.

My comments:  The Bi-Annual exception for  this season is $3.623 million.  Now, who can we get for that money?

gyso
Thanks for the clarification
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm

kdp59 wrote:I;ve seen Grant compared to players like

a poor mans Draymond

Boris Diaw

Paul Millsap

PJ Tucker

Probably closer to Diaw then Draymond or Millsap. One thing they all have is high BB IQ.

I think this is what should allow Grant to play before most  rookies.

We will have a chance to see Williams in the Summer league in a week,   I will be looking at how well he rebounds and defends.  and how well he is able to create space for his low post game.    By the way he does not remind me of any of these guys mentioned however from a skill set point of view he does a lot of things well like Draymond but not LIKE Draymond.  Well see him shortly.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm

He's probably the best of what's left. OK signing. Should help if combined with a strong low-post defender. Maybe Williams. We need low post scoring and rebounding, he can do that. Still need more/another big, but it's a start.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Bottom line question: Why has free agent Marcus Morris not been signed by us nor anyone else? Can we retain/afford him given the salary cap rules?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Kanter is a tough kid, plays hard and is a good rebounder. Given who is left at that price, very solid pickup.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 pm

dboss wrote:It looks like Boston is at $104 million included the room exception for Kantor.  This conflicts with the reported $10 million but I am sure things will be flushed out.  Plus you have to add the rookies in.  What about Daniel Theis?
                                                                      It is 5 million each year. Second year is a player option.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 pm

worcester wrote:Bottom line question: Why has free agent Marcus Morris not been signed by us nor anyone else? Can we retain/afford him given the salary cap rules?
I’m guessing s&t in the next couple of days or he’s signed to one of the LA teams.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:32 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
dboss wrote:It looks like Boston is at $104 million included the room exception for Kantor.  This conflicts with the reported $10 million but I am sure things will be flushed out.  Plus you have to add the rookies in.  What about Daniel Theis?

Foot

I see that now. $5 per is great value.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 pm

worcester wrote:Bottom line question: Why has free agent Marcus Morris not been signed by us nor anyone else? Can we retain/afford him given the salary cap rules?

Morris is probably looking for more money and I think he is worth it. I think 2 years at $15 mill per would be in the ballpark but I don't Boston can free up that much money. This guy is a very solid 4 that can spot up and create his own shot.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 pm

So we'd need about $10M more than we have to sign him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:58 pm

worcester wrote:So we'd need about $10M more than we have to sign him.

That is just my guesstimate but cash has been flying all over the place. However as things slow down the feeding frenzy will subside as fa dollars start to dry up. Can Boston go over the Cap to sign Morris?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Morris has been quiet.  Perhaps the Celtics told him to lay low until the dust settles and they will work a deal for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:39 pm

One can hope.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 pm

What's up with Kantor that he goes for just 5 mil per year ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 am

swish wrote:What's up with Kantor that he goes for just 5 mil per year ?

swish

My guess would be playing for mostly weak teams and questions about his defense. Other than that he's a rebounding machine and a force at the low post.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:46 am

dboss wrote:

Morris is probably looking for more money and I think he is worth it.  I think 2 years at $15 mill per would be in the ballpark but I don't Boston can free up that much money.  This guy is a very solid 4 that can spot up and create his own shot.

spotrac still has the Morris and  Theis holds listed for the Celtics. If true we can go over the cap to sign either of both.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

if they are correct (they have a good track record on these things), my guess it has something to so the with Rozier/Walker sign and trades.

perhaps we didn't need to renounce Morris and Theis to make that deal happen?

Morris is probably the best bang for the dollars at this point with players still left, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 am

swish

my guess is with most of the big money already taken quickly (except for those waiting on Leonard to decide). Kanter was looking at the full MLE ($9M) for a poor /losing team or something similar to what the Celtics could offer with the lower MLE and a chance to win.

I think he has a PLAYER option for next season, so it may be a one year deal.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:32 pm

swish

I believe that the question is: Which MLE are we entitled to, the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception ($9.258 million) or the smaller Room Mid-Level exception ($4.767 million).  I have read that the purpose of doing the sign-and-trades was to open up the full MLE.  Now, however, all the media outlets are talking Kanter's salary as being that of the smaller Room MLE.  What gives?

I think that we may need to wait until after the 6th of July to find out.  Timing is everything when it comes to NBA transactions and the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement.  Each card has to be played in the right order to maximize other certain benefits.  

I see where the cap holds on Morris and other Boston free agents are still in place.  Earlier reports said that those free agents all had to be renounced (except Theis) in order to create enough cap space to sign Kemba using cap space.  Maybe the need to renounce the free agents went away when the sign-and-trades (SATs) developed.  

I thought I read that one of the SATs involved Kyrie, but that idea was quickly set aside.  Kyrie is not cooperating.  Not one bit.  He can't be bothered to help his former team out by agreeing to a swap and he can't be bothered to add his signature to those of his former teammates on some basketballs for charity.  Kyrie has broken all his rear-view mirrors, he has cut all ties, he has burned all his bridges, he has taken it up to Defcon 1.  He has nuked all his back trails.

But I digress . . .

I think the card analogy is apt.  Danny Ainge is holding some cards, many of which cannot be played until July 6th (or after the moratorium is over).  He has shown us some of the cards (Kemba Walker, Enes Kanter) and we have found a few of them ourselves in the many media reports and other websites (the Morris cap hold, the SATs, etc.).  Danny and his team have other cards which they have and/or are working on.  These are being kept close to the vest.  

Once all of the cards have been played and the dust settles, we will have a better understanding (hopefully) of how each decision affects the next.  

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 pm

swish

I think the best comparison is it's like a desperation connection at the local bar around closing time...

Boston desperately needed a center/big. Kanter wasn't the prettiest thing, not what Boston really had wanted or hoped for, but he was standing there, and available. Kind of looked like he would do, for now.

Kanter would have liked a little more, but prospects were growing bleak, and Boston could make him happy, for now.

...and next thing you know, they hooked up.

Parden the crude comparison, but I think it's a highly applicable one. In all probability, neither is quite what the other one wanted, but each will do, for now.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 pm

I could make a cruder analogy about what Kyrie did to us.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm

I think that it is possible that the Celtics told Kanter that he could get the biggest MLE that is available to Boston. Right now, that is the smallest one (room) but if the full MLE opens up, he would get that one.

We will have to wait and see.

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 pm

gyso wrote:I think that it is possible that the Celtics told Kanter that he could get the biggest MLE that is available to Boston.  Right now, that is the smallest one (room) but if the full MLE opens up, he would get that one.

We will have to wait and see.
I was thinking that as well though they could have an understanding that some of it goes to Poirier, Waters, and Edwards, so that they get 3 or 4 year contracts.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:15 pm

When Kantor was at OKC one year he had like the 3rd or 4th best PER in the entire NBA, up there with Lebron, etc. The one thing I really worry about this year is our defense. Al was very important. Hopefully Williams can step up and fill some of that hole. Passing is another thing to worry about. We don't have many guys that are really good passers. Our two J's had better step up and average close to 20 a game this year. We need Tatum to get close to 8 rebounds a game and Jalen to get at least 6.

I do have high hopes for Edwards.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 pm

dboss wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

Foot

I see that now.  $5 per is great value.  
                        Agreed
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next