+5
worcester
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
dbrown4
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench Empty Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:30 pm

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/08/15/boston-celtics-carsen-edwards-perfect-spark-plug-off-bench/

Boston Celtics: Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench

by Mark Nilon

1 h ago

After an impressive Las Vegas Summer League, Carsen Edwards has proven he’s capable of producing at the next level. The Boston Celtics will surely benefit by having him come off the pine in 2019-20.

Had it not been for his smallish stature of 6-1, 201 pounds, Boston Celtics rookie Carsen Edwards may have been selected somewhere within the lottery. A two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection who averaged 24.3 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.3 steals in his final season at Purdue, the combo guard proved to be one of the most menacing offensive weapons at the collegiate level in 2018.

And yet, in this past June’s draft, Edwards found himself being the third player off the board in the second round by the Philadelphia 76ers who, then, traded the pick to the Celtics. Though second round selections don’t often stir up much hype, the 21-year-old seems to be the exception.

During this year’s Las Vegas Summer League, Edwards became one of the most talked about rookies. Per 36 minutes the guard averaged a whopping 29.8 points per contest while shooting 46.7% from deep and netted a true shooting percentage of 64.3%.

With his level of play, Edwards managed to net himself a four year, $4.5 million guaranteed contract with the Celtics. Though Boston fans many may be intrigued as to why the second rounder received a four year guaranteed deal when a first rounder’s contract is only guaranteed for the first two seasons, make no mistake about it, Beantown has themselves a very promising prospect.

In terms of his fit with the team, Edwards seems to be the ideal player — specifically on offense. Brad Stevens’ system is heavily reliant on the point guard moving without the ball and getting open for a “catch-and-shoot” opportunity. Last season, the Boston Celtics finished third in this area, averaging 29.7 attempts from the field and 25.5 from deep.

So how does this relate back to Edwards?

In college, 12% of his shot attempts were off catch-and-shoots, where he managed to convert at an impressive 1.048 point clip per possession. With this, the combo guard saw himself finish within the 75th percentile of this statistic.

Upon watching him play both in college and during this year’s Summer League, it is apparent that Edwards is just as effective off the ball as he is on. His crafty handles as well as his quick shooting motion allows him to excel offensively when handling the rock. However, when playing alongside a primary ball handler — which he is likely to do in Boston — Edwards has shown an affinity to make shots off screens and proved very capable of finding space for kick-out opportunities.

Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench Giphy

Carsen Edwards was by no means added to this roster to be the dominant ball handler. He is best viewed as a quality contributor off the bench for this Celtics squad. With Terry Rozier now in Charolette, Boston is void of a change of pace type of player to come in off the pine and get the second unit rolling.

Edwards could very well be that guy in 2019-20.

Put him on ball and he can dazzle with a quick crossover and get his shot up before the defender even realizes. Use him off ball and watch him sift through a defense to find an opening for an easy catch-and-shoot opportunity.

Either way, the combo guard will have every opportunity to succeed in Coach Stevens’ offense during the 2019 season. Boston seems to have their ideal spark plug coming off the bench in Carsen Edwards.

bob
MY NOTE: With the departure of Rozier we need a small defender on point guards. If Edwards can do that and still have juice left over to do what he does best, score, then he will be THE steal of this draft class.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench Empty Re: Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench

Post by dbrown4 Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Eddie House, Jr.!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench Empty Re: Carsen Edwards is the perfect spark plug off the bench

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm

I certainly hope so. I have been begging for a gunner off the bench for a few years. I will let this kid get his feet wet, but I said during the summer league, this is what I have been wanting for a long time
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Boston will need him to bring the ball up the court and push the pace.  He is a gunner as Rosalie mentioned and an important addition to a bench that needs shooting.  His on the ball defense is aggresive.

He looks like a candidate to make our 8-9 man rotation.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Just a little film to trigger a salivary response.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:19 am

What body control What strength in his legs. What a dynamo.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:45 am

Great pick, he’s gonna be way better than House or Rozier.

He could be a version of Curry....yeah I said it!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 am

Still not NBA-level talent he's playing against but, from top-to-bottom, probably better than the teams he played against in college.  And these are NBA 3s he's taking, not college 3s.

Here he is dropping 42 in the Elite 8 against higher ranked Virginia.  RJ Hunter had a great NCAA tournament, which is how he got drafted.  Edwards had a better overall tournament than RJ.  Unless Edwards is terrible at defense, and I don't think he is, I predict he's going to get solid rotation minutes this rookie year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 am

OK, Cowens/Old School,

I'm ready to refine my early take on CE...he's a pleasant, extraordinarily refreshing blend of Vinnie Johnson, Eddie House and Steph Curry all wrapped into one!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:57 am

dbrown4 wrote:OK, Cowens/Old School,

I'm ready to refine my early take on CE...he's a pleasant, extraordinarily refreshing blend of Vinnie Johnson, Eddie House and Steph Curry all wrapped into one!

db

dbrown,

Welcome to the Cowens Old/School Party Wagon.  It's a fun ride (hint:  avoid the rumble seat).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:00 pm

2nd rounders rarely impact this roster but he may be one of the best we gave seen. Was DA a 2nd rounder?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Yup 1981 2nd round pick #31
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Edwards can push the ball up the court without being the primary ball handler in the half court game. Much like Avery Bradley did as a Celtic, he can bring it up, take a shot if available or hand it off to one of the more assist oriented ball handlers. I have a hunch he will be a much superior scoring threat to Bradley. He just has to hold his own on defense, and from the little I've seen , I think he will. He won't have to carry the offense , as he did in college, and he will be playing in shorter bursts.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:32 pm

BobH,

I probably won't know what hit me! I will be sure to enjoy the ride!

BTW, (and this is to anyone whose used League Pass extensively) it looks like Preseason starts Friday October 4th. Does League Pass pick up/start with those games? Just curious.

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm

dboss wrote:2nd rounders rarely impact this roster but he may be one of the best we gave seen.  Was DA a 2nd rounder?

dboss,

2nd round, #31.  When Danny was picked by Red in the 1981 draft there were 23 teams (Charlotte Hornets, 1989; Vancouver Grizzlies, 1996; Miami Heat, 1989; Minnesota Timberwolves, 1990; New Orleans Pelicans, 2003; Orlando Magic, 1990; Toronto Raptors, 1996 all came later via expansion).  That made Danny the 8th pick in the 2nd round of his draft. Edwards was #33 in a 30 team league, so he was the 3rd pick in the 2nd round.  HOWEVER, Danny was playing baseball in Toronto at the time, so picking him with a high pick made no sense.  Taking a chance he could be enticed to put down his 3rd baseman's glove was worth a shot with a 2nd rounder.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Danny Ainge would have been a first round pick if he hadn't already signed to play baseball.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Fairy tales can come true - they can happen to you - if your young at heart. (Frank Sinatra)

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:20 pm

db
More versatile than Vinnie or House, those guys couldn’t play point as well or drive/finish as well even though Vinnie was pretty strong. I saw Curry play a few times in college, then in Kerr’s system and playing with Klay, he got a lot better. A lot of GM’s made a huge mistake not taking this kid earlier and in college he was as good as Curry....and I’m never afraid to make a prediction 😂 😆 😝!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Bob are you still mad Ainge got rid of girlie man...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:13 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

db
More versatile than Vinnie or House, those guys couldn’t play point as well or drive/finish as well even though Vinnie was pretty strong. I saw Curry play a few times in college, then in Kerr’s system and playing with Klay, he got a lot better. A lot of GM’s made a huge mistake not taking this kid earlier and in college he was as good as Curry....and I’m never afraid to make a prediction 😂 😆 😝!!!

Cow,

Vinnie Johnson was 6'2", 200#.  Carsen Edwards is 6'1", 200#.

bob
P.S.  And no, I'm not upset Danny let Kelly Olynyk go because he wanted to sign Gordon Hayward.  The difference between you and I is that you saw him as a big that played small while I saw him as a small that played big.  He was posting up 3s and there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it.  He was too alligator-armed to play 5 but he did just fine on defense against shorter players, he struggled when they posted a big up on him.  On offense, if they put a big on him he shot outside or put it on the floor and if they put a small on him he posted them up.  His inconsistency doomed him.  Let's not forget he was a #13 pick, not a #3.  We talk about how Giannis was available at 13, true, but look at the bigs picked before Kelly in that draft:  Anthony Bennett (1), Cody Zeller (4), Alex Len (5), Nerlens Noel (6), Steven Adams (12).  Of those 5 bigs picked before Kelly the only one I'd rather have than him is Adams.  And remember who were the bigs on the team heading into Kelly's rookie season, it was the first one after the Pierce/KG trade, so we can keep team needs in perspective:  Vito Faverani (who never made it in the NBA), 6'9" Kris Humphries, 6'9" Sully, 6'8" Brandon Bass and Kelly. One 7'er, and that was Kelly.  We were a ridiculously short team that year after The Trade, that's what Danny was staring at.  We've been bitching out not have good bigs the past few years, maybe until Baynes came, look at that team!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down