jrleftfoot
tardust
cowens/oldschool
worcester
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level Empty Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 am

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/10/carsen-edwards-readies-his-deep-shot-for-the-next-level/

Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level

By MARK MURPHY | markr.murphy@bostonherald.com | Boston Herald
July 10, 2019 at 5:38 pm

LAS VEGAS — Kara Lawson has much to teach Carsen Edwards about demands on the next level, but the art of creating space for his jump shot is not on her punch list.

“That comes pretty natural to him,” the Celtics assistant coach said. “You watch his clips from Purdue, he did the same thing — he just creates space really, really well. He has the ability to get his shot off with a defender in close proximity, with a defender’s length in close proximity. That doesn’t seem to bother his shot at all. Shooting is a premium in the NBA, and then to do it contested and make it with a good degree of regularity, that’s a good asset to have as a player coming in.”

It’s an improbable asset, too, though for as long as Edwards has heard that his 6-foot frame isn’t cut out for making it as an NBA shooting guard, he’s generally responded with big performances.

He had two 42-point nights in the NCAA tournament, including a second-round display against Villanova that drew its power from nine 3-pointers. He one-upped that total during an overtime loss to Virginia in the Elite Eight, shooting 10-for-19 from downtown, this time with DeAndre Hunter as part of the defensive rotation sent out to somehow cool down Edwards.

Didn’t matter. Open shots, contested shots, Edwards seemed to hit them all, and at high volume. He ultimately shot 28-for-61 (.459), averaged seven made 3’s and 15.25 attempts over four tournament games.

So the size of the stage, as well as the opponent, doesn’t seem to matter, though Edwards downplays his nascent big game reputation.

“I wouldn’t say that. I just try to play and be effective every single game,” he said.

And though Edwards’ tournament performance may have increased his national celebrity, he already was well past proving anything to himself.

“Nah, it didn’t. I’m just working to improve,” he said. “I didn’t learn anything about myself in the tournament. Just try to work, try to prepare to have a decent tournament.”

Lawson points to another aspect of Edwards’ size as an indicator of why he’s consistently able to create room, and allow his quick release to take care of the rest.

“He has great range, tremendous strength, you look at his body, his legs, his upper body – for him to shoot and maintain his form, he can do that from very deep,” she said. “He does have a great deal of confidence because he’s put the time in. We want him to play confidently, but we want him to take the right kind of shots.

“So the challenge, not just for Carsen, is teaching him within our system what those right kinds of shots are,” Lawson said. “Every shot he took, and where he can improve, eliminate one or two of those questionable shots — but you can see out there. He’s going to be somebody who can produce while he’s on the court.”

It helps that Edwards had a scorer’s mindset from the start. He shoots with impunity, dares the competition to find someone long and quick enough to disrupt him. His father, James, famously told him at a young age that he had to be fearless with the ball if he was going to succeed on the game’s top level.

“He didn’t necessarily say that to be successful I needed to score. He was like, if I wanted to be able to play at a high level, I have to be able to score and do a lot of different things,” Edwards said. “Being able to score gets you noticed. But around middle school he was like, I’ll be confident if I’m able to score the ball efficiently.”

That meant finding space, and increasing his range. Edwards’ first appearance as a Celtic – his 20-point performance during the team’s summer league-opening win against Philadelphia included shots from all over the floor, including deep pull-ups – mapped it all out. Thanks to that quick release, he found a way to get his shot off, regardless of the defender thrown at him.

Heading into Game 4 tonight against Memphis, Edwards is averaging 19.0 points and shooting 48 percent from downtown — a number almost identical to his 3-point efficiency in the NCAA tournament.

“It’s not even separation, really. For me it’s having a quick release as well,” Edwards said. “If you’re able to get your shot off, with as much space as you can get, that’s most important, especially at my size. Being able to change speeds helps with separation, but if you’re not able to get the separation you want, you can still get your shot off. The release has to be quick, and that’s mainly what I focus on.”

He shrugged when asked about his range. Think about some of those deep shots against Villanova and Virginia.

“I don’t know — I feel pretty confident from deep. I don’t feel that range is really an issue for me,” he said. “But I’m trying to find ways to become a better shooter. A couple of dribbles inside the halfcourt line, I feel pretty comfortable.”

Ultimately the Celtics also need Edwards to find someone else once he’s a couple of dribbles inside the halfcourt line, with an open shot available. The playmaking part of his game didn’t get as much exposure — he averaged just under three assists in his sophomore and junior years — but Lawson sees progress here.

She also points to how conditions will change once Edwards starts playing with a more mature and demanding cast in training camp.

“He has playmaking capabilities in his game. We’ve been able to see that in practices,” she said. “At Purdue he was asked to score a lot, so that’s mostly what we saw. But he can make reads, he can play off ball screen actions, so he’s very capable of doing that. And I imagine when we get to camp, with the talent that will be on this team, he understands to make the right play.

“In summer league we need him to score more,” Lawson said. “With this group we need him to be aggressive. He has a malleable game I think that can change when he gets around our big group and our veteran group, and he’s shown in practice that he can make reads.”

And with the arrival of that veteran group, and a world class defender such as Marcus Smart, Edwards understands his quick release won’t be the answer for everything.

“I don’t think I can get it off on everybody. I’m still trying to get better,” he said. “Still just working, not even just scoring. Keep my confidence to make shots, and deal with what the defense gives me to make good decisions.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level Empty Re: Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level

Post by worcester Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

We are going to love this guy's game.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level Empty Re: Carsen Edwards readies his deep shot for the next level

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:09 pm

We might have stumbled onto the next Curry.

His stroke and game sure are impressive!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Humble too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Cow, but unlike Steph, Carsen was not drafted 9th, and he doesn't have bad ankles which sidelined Steph for much of his first 3 years. Edwards is a steal at 33.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 am

I was thinking he reminded me of Vinnie Johnson and tonight the announcer said the same thing. He also said he thought Carson was the steal of the draft. I have seen a lot of guys so far this summer play really well and I know they can't all be great players but I was impressed with him in March Madness. Anyone that can put the ball in the hole can help you.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 am

Rob williams played a great game tonight as did Edwards. G Will showed a lot too. Grant can hit the 3. Dependably.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 am

I don't remember the microwave having Edwards' range. He was a phenomenon with his ability to score in bunches, though.  Edwards' build is similar to Vinnie. Looking at his thighs tonight put me in mind of Saquon Barkley. I'm trying not to  get too excited, but I love these kids and we haven't even seen Romeo yet.

Last edited by jrleftfoot on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:43 am

Carsen is so quick in all ways, especially getting his shot off. Tacko impressed me a lot last night too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:48 am

worcester wrote:Cow, but unlike Steph, Carsen was not drafted 9th, and he doesn't have bad ankles which sidelined Steph for much of his first 3 years. Edwards is a steal at 33.
Yep, he has exceeded expectations, as has Grant and Tacko, and Robert Williams just had his most dominant performance in 20 minutes. Love Tremont too, he knows how to play....gotta love this draft class so far and we haven’t even seen Romeo.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am

Is anyone reminded of Eddie House with CE the way he could provide a spark and light it up from 3 coming off the bench or am I in the wrong ballpark? Definitely agree with the Microwave comparison.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 am

Unusual to have so many rookies on a team. More unusual that at least two of them will be top 10 rotation guys.

Edwards is Eddie House with a better handle and a better ability to get to the rim. House was just a shooter. Vinnie was a killer midrange.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:45 am

worcester wrote:Rob williams played a great game tonight as did Edwards. G Will showed a lot too. Grant can hit the 3. Dependably.

Worcester,

On the highlight film I saw a play where GWill got the rebound and took it full court and dished to RWill.  Keeping in mind the speed, size and quality of summer league opponents that sequence by GWill reminded me of stuff Charles Barkley used to do.  Grant is an inch or two taller than Charles but is the same weight.  Really impressive for a man that size to motor like that, with his head up, and run a fast break that well.  Kudos to RWill for running.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Grant used to weigh 260. He trimmed down to 235. He is one strong dude. He has a good sense of himself. That's why he did not feel the need to assert his dominance over that Duke punk last night who kept hitting him on the head. Grant could have cleaned his clock with a pinky finger. Grant has emotional composure combined with physical strength and a 3 point shot. A great combo. He may be better than Morris in year 1. Maybe not. That's a big ask.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

worcester wrote:Grant used to weigh 260. He trimmed down to 235. He is one strong dude. He has a good sense of himself. That's why he did not feel the need to assert his dominance over that Duke punk last night who kept hitting him on the head. Grant could have cleaned his clock with a pinky finger. Grant has emotional composure combined with physical strength and a 3 point shot. A great combo. He may be better than Morris in year 1. Maybe not. That's a big ask.
And he’s a good passer and he QBd the team’s D, at least in the summer league.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm

worcester wrote:Grant used to weigh 260. He trimmed down to 235. He is one strong dude. He has a good sense of himself. That's why he did not feel the need to assert his dominance over that Duke punk last night who kept hitting him on the head. Grant could have cleaned his clock with a pinky finger. Grant has emotional composure combined with physical strength and a 3 point shot. A great combo. He may be better than Morris in year 1. Maybe not. That's a big ask.
Will +1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:26 pm

No brainer

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Did you see Danny down on the bench last night with all the young guys? He talked to each of them as they came off the floor. Grant sat down right beside him and chatted with Danny. This group of kids seems to have won Danny's heart already. He is very involved with them. I like the
way he seems to attach himself to the kids and when he has to trade one of them it kills him.

I think he hit a home run this time, this is a good group of young men
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm

The guy can score and is not afraid of the moment so I can see him doing fine/ok with the big boys too if nothing else as a scorer of the bench. He has a defined skill (scoring) and he plays defense so there should be room for a guy like that.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 pm

4 year deal, 4.5m guaranteed per Himmelsbach

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 pm

So happy to hear that. 4 years at a bargain basement price. Reminds me of Filene's.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 37 minutes ago
New: Per source, 2nd round pick Carsen Edwards has agreed to a four-year deal with the Celtics that will pay him more than $4.5 million in guaranteed salary. The first 3 years are fully guaranteed and the 4th is a team option:

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:01 am

So it's 1.5m per year + 1y team option? That's a bargain, the kid can ball.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 am

Great deal for Boston. Edwards looks like he is ready to help now. Interesting team being assembled.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 am

dboss wrote:Great deal for Boston.  Edwards looks like he is ready to help now.  Interesting team being assembled.

Dboss,

No traditional 4s (Theis?).  Just paint monsters and wings and guards.  Brad said he looks at positions as ball handlers, wings (2s and 3s), swings (3s and 4s) and bigs and that he could even reduce it down to just three categories by eliminating swings.  That's what we've got now.  This current roster fits Brad's paradigm.

However, everybody is saying Danny's not done yet.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next