+4
wideclyde
cowens/oldschool
tjmakz
dboss
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Will Howard end up back with the Lakers - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Howard end up back with the Lakers

Post by gyso Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:43 pm

I believe that someone said on this thread (or another thread) that Avery Bradley will play PG, but on defense only. L. James is the primary point-whatever on that team.

The Lakers do not need a guard to distribute the ball. If James is on the floor, the ball is primarily in his hands.

Back to top Go down

Will Howard end up back with the Lakers - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Howard end up back with the Lakers

Post by dboss Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Gyso

Yes James will be on the ball quite a bit but as he ages the energy required to be the primary ball handler will take its' toll.  I am surprised that teams do not press him more from end to end.  AB play some PG for us but he was an average to below average ball handler.  

They will need a reliable ball handler in the starting lineup and another one off the bench.  I think Rajon Rondo will be the starting PG.  The other two guys on that team that are listed as PG's are Cook and Demetrius Jackson.  Neither have proven capable in running an offense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 pm

dboss,

That cat ain't gonna change his stripes. IMO, the Lakers don't need a starting PG. They only need one off the bench when James sits, so that may be Rondo. A team has to work off their strengths. Running an offense is one of James' strengths, playing off the ball is not.

Time will tell. Until then, all we have is our own opinions to bring to the table.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm

gyso

Last year LAL played with a starting PG so I see no reason why they would not do the same this year with or without James.

I still consider Rondo to be a starting PG.  He started 29 games last year was second on the team behind James in touches per game 71.3 RR and 85 for Lebron.  Rajon had 8 assists last year and James had 8.3.  Lonzo Ball started at PG in 45 games until he got injured and Rondo took over for him.  That's 74 games with a starting PG.

I am pretty certain that they need a starting PG and a backup just like every team in the NBA.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 pm

With James handing out 7 assist per game - a point guard that is noted for his assist skills may not be a priority. Perhaps the focus will be on a guard with a superior EFG percentage or standout defensive capabilities. And then there is the possible sleeper who will be a surprise at the point - See Caruso stats below - who when given big minutes over the last 6 games this past season, did quite well.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/carusal01/gamelog/2019

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:01 am

Add on to my previous post.
Average per game for last 6 games of 2018-19
Minutes - 36.2
Points - 18.2
Assist - 8.0

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:05 am

Dboss,

The Lakers started two point guards last year in James' first season with the team. Both point guards were not shooters, nor were either of them all that good on the defensive end. The results were . . . James' team did not make the playoffs.

They would be better served if they instead went with shooters who can play defense at that position. They can save their true point guard for whenever James sits.

The Lakers ARE NOT like every other team in the NBA. They have James. He always has and always will handle the ball on offense. Facts is facts.

Touches per game is meaningless without context. Rondo's stats there may have been gained mostly off the bench, since he only started 29 games, as you say. The same goes with his assists, mostly off the bench.

Actually, I hope you are right that the Lakers waste the point guard position with a no defense non shooter. I prefer that the Lakers fail in every way, now and forever.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am

gyso wrote:Dboss,

The Lakers started two point guards last year in James' first season with the team.  Both point guards were not shooters, nor were either of them all that good on the defensive end.  The results were . . . James' team did not make the playoffs.  

They would be better served if they instead went with shooters who can play defense at that position.  They can save their true point guard for whenever James sits.

The Lakers ARE NOT like every other team in the NBA.  They have James.  He always has and always will handle the ball on offense.  Facts is facts.

Touches per game is meaningless without context.  Rondo's stats there may have been gained mostly off the bench, since he only started 29 games, as you say.  The same goes with his assists, mostly off the bench.

Actually, I hope you are right that the Lakers waste the point guard position with a no defense non shooter.  I prefer that the Lakers fail in every way, now and forever.

Very Happy

I agree with your points.
The Lakers do need defense and shooting at the PG position, that's why I think Caruso has a very good shot at being the Lakers starting pg.
For some crazy reason dboss does not agree that he is a pg.
Other than experience and possibly leadership, there's nothing that Rondo does better than Caruso.
Caruso was the only Laker besides Lebron to have a game of 32 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists last year.
The Lakers could easily have Avery Bradley or KCP at the point when Lebron is on the floor.
The Lakers are not stressing over the pg position.
LA won 5 championship with Derek Fisher who was an 8 point, 2 rebound, 3 assist player during his career.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:03 pm

The Lakers started two point guards last year in James' first season with the team.  Both point guards were not shooters, nor were either of them all that good on the defensive end.  The results were . . . James' team did not make the playoffs.  

They would be better served if they instead went with shooters who can play defense at that position.  They can save their true point guard for whenever James sits.

The Lakers ARE NOT like every other team in the NBA.  They have James.  He always has and always will handle the ball on offense.  Facts is facts.

Touches per game is meaningless without context.  Rondo's stats there may have been gained mostly off the bench, since he only started 29 games, as you say.  The same goes with his assists, mostly off the bench.

Actually, I hope you are right that the Lakers waste the point guard position with a no defense non shooter.  I prefer that the Lakers fail in every way, now and forever.

Very Happy
When the Lakers open up the season I would bet that Rajon Rondo will be the starting PG on the team barring any injury or Starting level PG addition.  Last year Ball started at the point.  Once he got hurt Rajon took over for him. The Lakers are not starting Lebron at PG.

For the sake of functionality, every team needs more than one ball handler in their lineup. LA is no different than any other team in that regards.   The context for touches is related to who has the ball the most.  James followed by Rondo and Ball initiated the offence.  The context is that Rondo averaged 30 MPG as did ball.  Even though Rondo played fewer games as a starter he still played 45 games and Ball played 47.  The PG spot was indispensable.
James had a total of 454 assists followed by Rondo with 367 and ball with 255.  Total team assists 2096.  

Having a starting PG in there is not a waste.  Considering that Rajon has already played with Davis and Lebron, he is the most logical choice at the PG spot.  

I hope Boston wins the East and LAL wins the West
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:16 pm

dboss wrote:

Very Happy
When the Lakers open up the season I would bet that Rajon Rondo will be the starting PG on the team barring any injury or Starting level PG addition.  Last year Ball started at the point.  Once he got hurt Rajon took over for him. The Lakers are not starting Lebron at PG.

For the sake of functionality, every team needs more than one ball handler in their lineup. LA is no different than any other team in that regards.   The context for touches is related to who has the ball the most.  James followed by Rondo and Ball initiated the offence.  The context is that Rondo averaged 30 MPG as did ball.  Even though Rondo played fewer games as a starter he still played 45 games and Ball played 47.  The PG spot was indispensable.
James had a total of 454 assists followed by Rondo with 367 and ball with 255.  Total team assists 2096.  

Having a starting PG in there is not a waste.  Considering that Rajon has already played with Davis and Lebron, he is the most logical choice at the PG spot.  

I hope Boston wins the East and LAL wins the West

In my opinion - there is way to much attention given to assist stats - ditto for rebound stats - for both player and team.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:

Very Happy

The Lakers do need defense and shooting at the PG position, that's why I think Caruso has a very good shot at being the Lakers starting pg.
Other than experience and possibly leadership, there's nothing that Rondo does better than Caruso.
Caruso was the only Laker besides Lebron to have a game of 32 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists last year.
The Lakers could easily have Avery Bradley or KCP at the point when Lebron is on the floor.
LA won 5 championship with Derek Fisher who was an 8 point, 2 rebound, 3 assist player during his career.
TJ

I do not see Caruso as a PG because he is not a PG.  You can refer to him as a combo guard and that works but I have never seen any stat in college or in the NBA that lists him as PG.  Caruso only played 25 games last year and only 4 as a starter.  Rajon has played in 825 games and 736 as a starter.  He remains a premier ball handler and playmaker and he stills is an above average rebounder at the PG spot at 5.3 per game.  Caruso appears to be a better defender but lets keep in mind that he had 4 starts last year.  Most of the time he is matching up with rotation guys.  Caruso is a better 3 point shooter than Rondo.  

I never suggested they were stressing over the PG spot but you can believe that they need a starting quality guy.

With regards to Fisher he played PG in the triangle offense.  The Triangle offense lessens the responsibilities of a Pg running an offense.  Using him as a point of reference is a non-starter.

LAL have made a huge investment in putting together a competitive team.  They are not going to screw around with a make believe PG.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:20 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Very Happy

TJ

I do not see Caruso as a PG because he is not a PG.  You can refer to him as a combo guard and that works but I have never seen any stat in college or in the NBA that lists him as PG.  Caruso only played 25 games last year and only 4 as a starter.  Rajon has played in 825 games and 736 as a starter.  He remains a premier ball handler and playmaker and he stills is an above average rebounder at the PG spot at 5.3 per game.  Caruso appears to be a better defender but lets keep in mind that he had 4 starts last year.  Most of the time he is matching up with rotation guys.  Caruso is a better 3 point shooter than Rondo.  

I never suggested they were stressing over the PG spot but you can believe that they need a starting quality guy.

With regards to Fisher he played PG in the triangle offense.  The Triangle offense lessens the responsibilities of a Pg running an offense.  Using him as a point of reference is a non-starter.

LAL have made a huge investment in putting together a competitive team.  They are not going to screw around with a make believe PG.

dboss,

By continuing for some odd reason to say that Caruso is not a point guard, it shows that you have not watched him play in the G-League or for the Lakers.
Here's some highlights of Caruso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyX3TWghMW4
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:37 pm

dboss,

I never said that James would be a point guard, I said he would be their primary point-whatever.

I guess we will have to await and see.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Tj

I am not interested in seeing G-league highlights of Caruso.

The season is going to start soon and we will see who starts at PG

Caruso had a 1.8 A/TO ratio.  Rondo lead the team at 2.9
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm

Never heard of Caruso

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:35 pm

dboss wrote:Tj

I am not interested in seeing G-league highlights of Caruso.

The season is going to start soon and we will see who starts at PG

Caruso had a 1.8 A/TO ratio.  Rondo lead the team at 2.9

The video is Caruso Lakers highlights, not G-League highlights.
Yes, we will see who starts at pg soon.
It’s between Rondo, Caruso and Bradley.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 pm

wrong
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 pm

dboss wrote:wrong
LOL
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:49 pm

https://lasportshub.com/2019/07/07/los-angeles-lakers-alex-caruso-fit/
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Won’t be Bradley

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Won’t be Bradley

Probably right, but if LeBron is going to be the main playmaker, I can see Bradley playing a role like Patrick Beverly who is mainly used as a perimeter ball-hawk on defense.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:49 pm

This Laker team figures to be a very good team - especially when it comes to shooting - so what's the big deal about who plays the point - perhaps it will be shared by a committee consisting of Rondo, Bradley, Caruso, and Cook.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Dwight Howard has convinced the Lakers that he is in a great place mentally.
As we can see by this video, he is in great shape physically.

https://twitter.com/LakersChapo/status/1170952679788445696
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:26 pm

That's great, wonderful and  stupendous!  we're thrilled.

Now all they need to do is convince the sissy AD that he needs to play 5 so that they can have another quality shooter in the lineups and convert Caruso into a starting quality point guard, something that he is not.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:56 pm

dboss wrote:That's great, wonderful and  stupendous!  we're thrilled.

Now all they need to do is convince the sissy AD that he needs to play 5 so that they can have another quality shooter in the lineups and convert Caruso into a starting quality point guard, something that he is not.

Somebody's a little salty today... Very Happy
AD will play center at the end of games and when needed.
I think LA will make the best decision about their starting lineup, their closing lineup and how many minutes each person plays.
Dwight could be a difference maker that Cousins might not have become because of his athleticism.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next