worcester
mrkleen09
cowens/oldschool
18 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Jaylen and Jayson - Page 11 Empty Re: Jaylen and Jayson

Post by dboss Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Both silly philly and the Lakers could have drafted Jayson.

They blew it and the rest will be history.  

Yes Danny wanted Tatum but Fultz was projected to be a great pick.  Ball and his big mouth daddy influenced Magic  to draft ball.  Danny knew that Tatum was going to be a superstar!  He knew that Magic was going to draft ball because Magic saw Ball as him.  Philly is just bat shit stupid!  Danny played this game and won.   The key was to make the trade with Philly.  Those dumb mother fu.....gave us the 3rd pick plus a first rounder to draft Tatum.

Last edited by dboss on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Could the Lakers really have drafted Tatum? I was under the assumption that Tatum was the one Danny wanted, and knew that he would still be there at #3. If that is the case, Danny never would have traded down if he thought there was a chance Magic would draft JT. The only way the Lakers could have drafted JT is either by lying to Danny about their intentions (possible, but good luck fooling Ainge) or if Danny liked Fultz, Ball, and Tatum equally well and would have been happy with any of the three. Anyone know the real story?

Shamrock,

Your assumption is that Magic told Danny who he was drafting.  Colangelo in Philly, who traded for the #1 pick and immediately announced he was taking Fultz.  The only reason why Colangelo did it is because, with the #1 pick, nobody could take Fultz ahead of him.  He also did that with Ben Simmons, for the same reason. His selection of those two players were not at risk.

I think it was a combination of Ball being an LA homeboy, went to UCLA, his father spoke it into existence and, from what I heard, Ball had a great workout with the Lakers. Another point is that Magic already had Kuzma and Ingram, so the Lakers were set at the 3/4 spot and didn't need Tatum.  Laker fans seem to be down on Kuzma now, based upon the Comments From The Other Side thread, but a few years ago he was their fair-haired boy (now he's their bleached-hair boy).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Bob (and Dboss)

Yes, my assumption was that Magic told Danny (or somehow let him know) that he was taking Ball. Or at least that he wasn't taking JT. Your logic on Colangelo is spot on, but I imagine he also confirmed to Danny that Fultz was his guy. My question was whether or not my assumption was correct. Did Danny specifically want Tatum and knew how the whole thing would play out, or did he rank Tatum, Ball, and Fultz equally, and thus saw no downside to trading down to #3 while still picking up a future pick? I strongly suspect the former.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am

Great discussion on First Take, Jay Williams, Steven A and Max debating who they would take as first pick in an under 21 pick right now. Max went with Zion Williamson, Jay went with Luka and Steven A went with our boy Jayson Tatum....saying Tatum has the better long ball and is better defensively than Doncic.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:32 pm

JT is now number five in real plus-minus. No stat is perfect, and this one is no different, but analytics folks (and the GMs who pay them), take note of this stat. The four people ahead of him, starting from number one are Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, then Tatum, followed by Jokic. Seems like a decent representation of the top players in the league. Love JT, but was honestly surprised - pleasantly so - that he ranks this high. Next Celtic is Kemba at 51...

Here is the link to the complete list:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 pm

https://nesn.com/2020/02/former-celtic-calls-jayson-tatum-the-next-larry-bird-paul-pierce/

Former Celtic Calls Jayson Tatum The Next Larry Bird, Paul Pierce

by Alexandra Francisco

on Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 5:50PM

It’s been quite the stretch for Jayson Tatum since making his first All-Star team.

In his last five games, the Boston Celtics wing is averaging 35.4 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. After Wednesday night’s win over the Utah Jazz, he’s reached or surpassed 30 points six times this month, including his last three-straight games.

Tatum is up to 11 30-point games on the season, tying with Antoine Walker’s franchise record for the most by a 21-year-old. The former Celtics forward weighed in on Tatum’s potential Thursday.

“What he’s doing right now on the offensive end, he’s that next Celtic,” Walker said on FS1’s “First Things First.”

“He’s that next (Larry) Bird, he’s that next Paul Pierce for the Boston Celtics. He has arrived.”

Walker went on to say that he see’s Tatum as one of the top four wings in the Eastern Conference, behind the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo and in the mix with the Philadelphia 76ers’ Ben Simmons and the Toronto Raptors’ Pascal Siakam.

Walker said though he’s been showing out as of late, Tatum’s sample size is too small.

“He’s still got some work to do to prove,” Walker said.

“I mean, we’re going off a sample size the last, I would say six weeks, where he taken his game to the next level. I said this last year that he was going to have to get better, get back to playing the way he played his rookie year, and he did that. He put the work in, you see it. His offensive game has evolved know. He can score from anywhere on the floor. Obviously his most impressive part has been his 3-point shooting.”

Tatum has been lethal from beyond the arc, shooting 50 percent from long in February. He’ll get another opportunity to ball-out on national television again Saturday, Feb. 29 when Boston hosts the Houston Rockets at 8:30 p.m. ET.

bob
MY NOTE:  I agree with everything 'Toine says, which makes me feel uncomfortable just by itself.  He's right.  Jayson probably is the next franchise player and the sample size is too small to say for sure.  What gives me confidence is that we have the 3 Musketeers (Kemba, Jaylen and Marcus) to keep him in the fold.  All 3 of those players are on long-term contracts with the Celtics and they all love each other.  Now, all we need is for Danny and Wyc not to try to get too cute in negotiations.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Just had another thought relevant to this thread. Many have commented on how happy they are Danny didn't trade either J. Totally agree. But this probably wasn't Danny's original plan. His plan was most likely a repeat of the 2008 model - horde picks/assets and convert them into established stars. I actually really admire Ainge - even though the GSW model was probably not his original plan, as situations unfolded, he had the objectivity to switch course and continue to develop the talent he drafted rather than trading for a star. Also, Ainge has now shown he can draft at all levels. He found Rondo, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Perk, Bradley, all of whom were great picks for their position in the draft. He has also shown he can pick at the top of the draft. Picking Brown and Tatum now looks like genius, especially considering both picks were initially considered stretches, especially Brown. So, hats off to Ainge both for making great picks and for having the flexibility to switch up on his rebuilding plan based on what he saw unfolding.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:26 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://nesn.com/2020/02/former-celtic-calls-jayson-tatum-the-next-larry-bird-paul-pierce/

by Alexandra Francisco

It’s been quite the stretch for Jayson Tatum since making his first All-Star team.

In his last five games, the Boston Celtics wing is averaging 35.4 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. After Wednesday night’s win over the Utah Jazz, he’s reached or surpassed 30 points six times this month, including his last three-straight games.

Tatum is up to 11 30-point games on the season, tying with Antoine Walker’s franchise record for the most by a 21-year-old. The former Celtics forward weighed in on Tatum’s potential Thursday.

“What he’s doing right now on the offensive end, he’s that next Celtic,” Walker said on FS1’s “First Things First.”

“He’s that next (Larry) Bird, he’s that next Paul Pierce for the Boston Celtics. He has arrived.”

Walker went on to say that he see’s Tatum as one of the top four wings in the Eastern Conference, behind the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo and in the mix with the Philadelphia 76ers’ Ben Simmons and the Toronto Raptors’ Pascal Siakam.

Walker said though he’s been showing out as of late, Tatum’s sample size is too small.

“I mean, we’re going off a sample size the last, I would say six weeks, where he taken his game to the next level. I said this last year that he was going to have to get better, get back to playing the way he played his rookie year, and he did that. He put the work in, you see it. His offensive game has evolved know. He can score from anywhere on the floor. Obviously his most impressive part has been his 3-point shooting.”

Tatum has been lethal from beyond the arc, shooting 50 percent from long in February. He’ll get another opportunity to ball-out on national television again Saturday, Feb. 29 when Boston hosts the Houston Rockets at 8:30 p.m. ET.

bob
MY NOTE:  I agree with everything 'Toine says, which makes me feel uncomfortable just by itself.  He's right.  Jayson probably is the next franchise player and the sample size is too small to say for sure.  What gives me confidence is that we have the 3 Musketeers (Kemba, Jaylen and Marcus) to keep him in the fold.  All 3 of those players are on long-term contracts with the Celtics and they all love each other.  Now, all we need is for Danny and Wyc not to try to get too cute in negotiations.

Jesus Bob, you are scaring me...Is there a chance the Celtics won't offer JT the max???? Or that they would trade him??? Say it ain't so.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Hmm...we are quoting a guy who thinks he would have been worth over 300 million in a contract. Something about taking what he says as gospel, but with Tatum he might me right. It is just that this guy is dying to put his word out there and he just is not someone I care to agree with
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:01 pm

They'll sign him to a max extension (maybe this summer).

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:08 pm

I have no doubt about that, they are not going to take the chance of losing him or ticking him off. This kid is well worth the $$$
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:53 pm

Jalen Rose: The guys I feel sorry for are Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball . They will forever be remembered as the guys picked before Jayson Tatum. His ESPN sidekick: And Jayson Tatum will always be better
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://nesn.com/2020/02/former-celtic-calls-jayson-tatum-the-next-larry-bird-paul-pierce/

by Alexandra Francisco

bob

Jesus Bob, you are scaring me...Is there a chance the Celtics won't offer JT the max???? Or that they would trade him??? Say it ain't so.

Rock,

Sorry about that.  I think they will do what it takes to keep Tatum.  I try to keep 2 things in mind on matters like this:

1.  Everytime I think I know what Trader Danny is thinking he proves I don't.  He didn't want to trade either J for Davis but suppose Milwaukee got the idea Giannis wasn't going to resign with the Bucks.  Don't yoy think Danny would trade Tatum for The Freak?  He is one of the very few players I would trade Tatum for.

2.  It's not my money and I don't understand the salary cap wranglings enough to know.  Kemba's on a max contract.  Jayden is making > $20M.  Smart will be coming up for a renewal soon.  Hayward isn't a max contract player but he is quite valuable and won't be cheap. Even if Danny trades Gordon he needs to take about the same amount of salary back, so the salary cap impact would still be an issue.

Having said all this let me reiterate I believe Danny and Wyc will do what it takes.

Unless Jayson fell in love playing for Pop this past summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkwqi2TUJqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKzLjoOs4C4
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Death, Taxes, and Tatum getting paid by Boston.

There are now three certainties in life.

Count on it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:59 pm

NYCelt wrote:Death, Taxes, and Tatum getting paid by Boston.

There are now three certainties in life.

Count on it.
NYCelt

Watching those clips of Jayson and Jaylen is the reason why this particular thread is so relevant.

Maybe Danny's decision to retain Jaylen early in the process was a surprise but there is no doubt that he will lock Jayson in and the stage will be set for these two guys to create their own history with the Boston Celtics.

Thank you for KG and PP.  They did not bitch and moan about being traded to Crooklyn.  That trade yielded two flat out stars.  They are full blown ballers, both young and ascending to greatness. KG will have his number retired and that is historical and deserving.  It reflects what he did in uniform and his the willingness to move on.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Danny has enough young guys under cheap contracts and a basket of draft picks to retain both Hayward and Tatum.

We will be a tax payer no doubt.  As long as the team is a top contender as they are today I see no good reason why the owners would not be willing to pay for our talent.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:JT is now number five in real plus-minus. No stat is perfect, and this one is no different, but analytics folks (and the GMs who pay them), take note of this stat. The four people ahead of him, starting from number one are Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden, then Tatum, followed by Jokic. Seems like a decent representation of the top players in the league. Love JT, but was honestly surprised - pleasantly so - that he ranks this high. Next Celtic is Kemba at 51...

Here is the link to the complete list:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2

How am I reading this incorrectly? To me it looks like JT is #20 on the RGM rating scale.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:34 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jayson-tatums-historic-month-theres-170237109.html

After Jayson Tatum's historic month, there's still room to grow

Chris Forsberg
NBC Sports Boston

March 1, 2020, 9:02 AM PST

BOSTON - When Jayson Tatum's exploits weren't causing Paul Pierce to explode out of his baseline seat and swing his fists in excitement, Pierce often watched Tatum with a snarled lip, some of Tatum's finishes around the rim causing Pierce's exaggerated reactions.

Pierce, who had already boldly declared on a special edition of ESPN's The Jump that Tatum was going to be better than him, seemed mesmerized by some of what Tatum was doing on the latest stage.

Tatum capped one of the best months in Celtics history with his fourth straight 30+ point night during Houston's 111-110 overtime triumph. Tatum put up 32 points but struggled with his efficiency, connecting on just 9 of 27 shots and missing eight of the 12 triples he hoisted. Tatum added 13 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 blocks, but also had 5 turnovers.

All of which is to say it wasn't his finest performance but it definitely had its moments. The Eastern Conference's Player of the Month award likely awaits Tatum for his February exploits that muscled him into an elite group of Celtics scorers.

Tatum is only the fifth player in team history to finish a calendar month averaging better than 30 points over a minimum of 10 games. He joins only Isaiah Thomas, Paul Pierce, Larry Bird, and John Havlicek - or four of the best pure scorers the team has employed.

Still, Tatum will undoubtedly be left lamenting the shots he didn't make Saturday night, most notably a driving layup with under a minute to play in overtime that he airmailed (and that Daniel Theis couldn't quite clean up) with Boston up 1. Tatum was a spectator on the final possession as Jaylen Brown's 15-foot pull-up found front rim.

The Celtics might not have had a chance to win without Tatum. He breathed life back into TD Garden early in the fourth quarter and a driving finger roll that knotted the game at 87 had Pierce excitedly pumping his fist with 2008 teammate Kendrick Perkins seated next to him.

Tatum finished February averaging 30.7 points over 37.2 minutes per game in 12 appearances. He shot 49.4 percent overall and 48.1 percent beyond the arc, all while adding 7.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.3 blocks, and 1.2 steals over 37.2 minutes per game.

His minutes total got driven higher by two overtime games, including a thrilling double-OT win over the Clippers before the All-Star break. In the five games since the All-Star game, all without Kemba Walker, Tatum averaged 34 points while shooting 50.9 percent overall and 50 percent beyond the arc over 37.9 minutes per game.

Tatum's per-36 numbers for February shuffle him ahead of some of Bird's finest months (all but March 1986). Only Pierce's February 2006, and nearly the entirety of Thomas' absurd 2016-17 campaign, were better in terms of pure scoring output.

Celtics players spent the month as mesmerized by Tatum as Pierce was. Enes Kanter said teammates openly wondered on the bench what had gotten into Tatum during this absurd run, particularly the way his confidence exploded as his game blossomed on some big stages. The consensus seems to be that Tatum earning an All-Star nod paved a path to playing like a true star without the pressure of that goal weighing on him.

The Rockets game is a nice reminder that there's still plenty of room for growth for Tatum, something that coach Brad Stevens highlighted before Saturday's showdown.

"He's got a lot of room to improve, which is good," said Stevens. "We saw that on the west coast in the Lakers game. He saw a bunch of doubles and we watched those all as a team. And then, in the Utah game, I thought he was way better against them, and that's just because he sees some of that stuff for the first time.

"That's the thing about the special players in the league - and [James] Harden's a good example of this, he's seen everything. But he's seen it for years and years and years now. And even the doubles that maybe haven't come as frequently as they do now, he's seen them at times over the last couple of years. Tatum's greatest strength to me is his emotional ability to be great at any moment and his ability to quickly learn something.

"I always remember one of his first exhibition games, Charlotte ran a play that a lot of NBA teams run, and we had not gone through it in any way. He got burned on the first one. And on the second one he figured it out. And that's why I think he has a chance to be really special. But he'd be the first to tell you he's not finished and he can still get a lot better. Because he's going to see all this new stuff."

Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni dubbed Tatum "another superstar," and wondered about his team's ability to contain him. The Rockers did about as good of a job as they could have hoped for and, if not for a flukey sequence off Tatum's intentionally missed free throw at the end of regulation, might not have needed an extra session to sweep the season series from Boston.

The atmosphere and the energy of Saturday's game will help Tatum as he moves forward. There are no silver linings for the Celtics in these sort of losses - especially not ones in which they were up 17 before letting Houston back in, and ones that could have been put away in the extra session.

Tatum still has room to improve. It's hard to imagine that he'll have as good of a month, statistically, any time soon, especially when a healthy Walker returns. But he can continue his ascent to NBA superstardom by more consistently impacting both ends of the court in a positive way, including saving his best work for crunch-time moments.

That's when superstars like Pierce used to really assert themselves among the league's elite. Tatum must learn to do the same.

bob
MY NOTE:  I hadn't heard that Paul Pierce thinks Tatum could be "better than him".  That's a strong statement coming from an understandably proud ex-player.  It will be interesting to see which Tatum we get on Tuesday.  Stars shrug off bad games and are right back at it the next game.  Superstars come back even stronger, with even more of a vengeance, as if the next team they play were to blame for his previous game.  Tatum had lots of points and rebounds against Houston but wasn't the efficient player he was earlier in February, shooting 9-27.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:17 am

He said it right before the game on national TV.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 am

Sierra Goodwill
@SierraGoodwill
Jaylen Brown... my GOD!

Puts VP on a poster at #Celtics practice.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1234549293597577218

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:47 pm

bobheckler wrote:Sierra Goodwill
@SierraGoodwill
Jaylen Brown... my GOD!

Puts VP on a poster at #Celtics practice.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1234549293597577218

bob

Meh

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:25 am

Boston Sports Info
@bostonsportsinf
Jayson Tatum becomes just the 3rd Boston Celtic, in team history, to have ≥ 32 points in 5 straight games

Jayson Tatum - 2019
Larry Bird - 1985
John Havlicek - 1972

Stats By STATS
@StatsBySTATS
Jayson Tatum is the first player in @celtics history to score 30+ points and make 3+ three-pointers in 5 straight games.#Celtics

6:36 PM - Mar 4, 2020

bob
MY NOTE: How about 6 straight? Has that ever happened?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:51 am

Hi,
I think they showed that there was 1 player with 6 games, don't remember who.
Also, let's be fair - there was no 3pt for Hondo, it was implemented in '79.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:22 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content