Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus

3 posters

Go down

Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus Empty Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus

Post by dboss Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:19 pm

My Note:  So what do you think?  Fanless games, change of venues and maybe cancellations.  I think this season is in jeopardy.  All it will take is for one player, trainer, coach or staff member to test positive and the games could be shut down.  

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28881794/nba-mulls-moving-games-different-cities-due-coronavirus

As the NBA's board of governors prepares to confer with the commissioner's office Wednesday in a critical conference call on the coronavirus crisis, one scenario introduced into the league's conversation involves moving some games to NBA cities that have yet to suffer outbreaks, league sources told ESPN.

If the virus clusters and forces a team out of its city and arena for a period of time, there has been discussion about moving games to the away opponent's arena if that city hasn't suffered an outbreak -- or even moving games to neutral cities and sites, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA is discussing a number of possibilities -- including eliminating fans from buildings for games or, more drastically, suspending game operations for a period of time -- but sources said decisions on those options remain complicated by the fact that there has been a limited amount of public testing for the coronavirus in the United States. There is no full understanding of how widespread and debilitating the virus could become in the country.

After the board of governors call Wednesday -- which is expected to include one designated ownership representative of each team, sources said -- two additional calls are set for Thursday for team presidents and general managers, sources said.

So far, individual NBA teams have been hesitant to become the league's first to voluntarily eliminate fans from home games, sources said. Even with the conference call set for governors and owners on Wednesday, there has been a tremendous amount of communication among teams, the league and public health experts in recent weeks.
San Francisco health officials have yet to mandate that the Golden State Warriors play games without fans, but those conversations have been ongoing with the franchise. The Warriors are the league's highest-grossing team on game nights, averaging somewhere between $3.6 million and $3.8 million per game, sources said.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine recommended that indoor teams in that state play without fans for the immediate future. The Cleveland Cavaliers are starting a six-game road trip and don't return home until March 24, which gives them time to evaluate the recommendation and decide how to proceed.

The NBA already eliminated media from locker rooms, in what the league said will be a temporary measure in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

ESPN's Ramona Shelburne contributed to this report.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus Empty Re: Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus

Post by gyso Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Games without fans will result in decreased revenue in a big way, especially if playoff games are affected. That's assuming they actually have playoffs. If any refs and/or players test positive, the season may be over.

"The Warriors are the league's highest-grossing team on game nights, averaging somewhere between $3.6 million and $3.8 million per game, sources said." With less than 20 games left it will still make a difference.

The salary cap number for next season will plummet. Many teams that thought they will have cap space will be disappointed. Many teams that are up against the luxury tax line will be over it.

Lots of things that we take for granted may change, at least for a while.

Back to top Go down

Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus Empty Re: Sources: NBA mulls moving games due to coronavirus

Post by dboss Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm

gyso

I do not see a quick resolution.  

This is no ordinary flu.  My guess is that a governmental agency would come into play if the NBA does not do anything.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 pm

I read where the Warriors took quite a bit of flak for still having their game in front of fans last night. With a brand new building, probably sold out most of the time, this is a big hit for them.

Funny, Kemba Walker from the Celtics has said he would rather they cancel the games. LeBron make his feelings known on Sunday, now he is backing off of his statement that he wouldn't play without fans and saying that if the whole league does not play in front of fans he will have to do the same.

Money runs the world, I wonder, will the players take a cut if their team is losing $$$ ????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:10 pm

In the past we have seen seasons end or cut short due to a strike.  I think this pandemic will have a similar economic impact.  Unlike a strike however, players would still have to be paid and that is the real kicker for NBA owners.  Businesses that rely on revenues derived from fans would be hurt the most (i.e. restaurants, bars, etc) But that impact would be more similar to what happens if a sports team is on strike.

The 2019-20 season may be designated with an asterisk.  

At this point the nation and the world must come together to end the pandemic.  There will be a lot of finger pointing but right now we are in unknown territory so the only thing that matters is to slow this thing down from spreading to our communities.

All it takes is for one large gathering like the Biogen Conference in Boston to create an explosion of new cases.  We need not have large gatherings where a lot of people are in close proximity to one another.

Last edited by dboss on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:39 pm

ONE PLAYER.............THAT IS ALL IT WILL TAKE IS ONE PLAYER.........AND THE NBA WILL IMPLEMENT THE BAN ON GAMES IN FRONT OF FANS.

You and I may have the intelligence to not show up anywhere if we are sick, but there are many, many people who will think WHO? ME? SICK??NO WAY, and that is all it will take. I have no idea what the answer is, a little out of my wheelhouse. All I do know is that I hope and pray no one I know and care about has to deal with any of this.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm

In addition............That person would say, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THOSE TICKETS????

I was supposed to be going up to Maine for a day trip with my son and husband, that, of course, has been cancelled. No way I should be near a group of people like that right now with everything else going on with me. Fortunately, my son bought the insurance on his tickets so he will be reimbursed for most of the money.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:In addition............That person would say, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THOSE TICKETS????

I was supposed to be going up to Maine for a day trip with my son and husband, that, of course, has been cancelled. No way I should be near a group of people like that right now with everything else going on with me.  Fortunately, my son bought the insurance on his tickets so he will be reimbursed for most of the money.  
Rosalie

I do not want to tie myself into a knot but I have to be mindful.  People tend to develop a laissez faire attitude because the flue bug is with us every year.  Thousands die in this country every year due to the flue.  It's the flu...so what else is new!

People will determine their own risk tolerance and act accordingly.

New viruses however do increase awareness and fear.  The 1918 Spanish flu had an appetite for killing young people but the Coronavirus likes us older folks.  

Yesterday my hand sanitizer was finally delivered.  I already feel safe-er.  

I have no plans to attend any games, concerts or other large gatherings.  I can live with that.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down