Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20

+2
worcester
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20 Empty Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am

Finally!  REAL, meaningful basketball is back.

We started off down 2-17.  Missing open shots and they were running layup drills and hitting their shots.  I thought we showed well by coming back and taking 1 point leads 2X in the game.  As we have said many times over the last few years we cannot have ice cold starts and not get bit in the ass.

Jayson Tatum had the worst game as a professional I can remember.  He was 2-18, and one of those fgm was a accidental put in by the Bucks.  They had to give credit for the points to the nearest Celtic and, because Jayson Tatum was the slowest back on defense, he was the nearest.  That made him, actually, 1-17.  He looked extremely tentative with his shots.  They were all bricks, no rimming around and almost going in, just way off.  On defense he made the same bad decisions about staying in front of Giannis again and again and again, and paid for it.  I'm not worried about him, he'll turn it around maybe next game, but he was awful last night.  If he had even a mediocre game we would have won.

Or forget about Tatum's nightmare, let's talk about Kemba Walker.  He only played 19 minutes, all in the first half.  He had 16 points on 5-9, 3-6 from 3.  If this was the playoffs he would have played some in the 2nd half, wouldn't he?  If he played even 25 minutes total, at his first half's efficiency, that would be good for another 5 points.  We lost by 7, and the refs missed a goal tend that should have been 2 more points for us.  See where I'm going with this?  If either one of our top 2 players had either not stunk the joint up or played solid rotation minutes (much less starter minutes) we would have beaten them.  There's no need to panic.

This game would not have been even close, though, without our living, breathing heart, Marcus Smart.  I love that guy.  As we all seemed to agree on the Post-Game Members Only Zoom call he, along with Brown and Tatum, are the only untouchables as far as Danny should be concerned.

Kanter was ineffective.  He was getting blocked by Robin Lopez, who had 6 blocks or getting blown past on defense.

I don't know why Brad didn't put Semi on Giannis more.  It's his #1 reason for being on the team.  He's one of the few players who can move his feet fast enough to stay in front of him and strong enough so he can't just get bullied.

Wanny with a standout game.  VERY solid.  I'd call him the best bench player but Smart came off the bench.  If you consider Smart to be a 6th starter, he played 32 minutes after all, then Wanny gets the blue ribbon for the bench.  14 points on 5-9, 6 rebounds and 2 steals in 26 very productive and efficient minutes.  It was also his 31st birthday yesterday.  

His German pal Theis also played well.  13 points and 12 rebounds.  2 blocks.  It's amazing how well he played given that either Lopez brother dwarfed him.  Theis and Wanny are two players with significant playoff experience.  Not NBA playoff experience, but they've been in "win or go home" situations.  That, I believe, will prove to be invaluable over the coming month, even more than the stats.  They will settle the kids down.

Giannis had to have had 12 fouls, but they only called 5.  The League gets what the League wants.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401224691

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20

Post by worcester Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 am

Well now we know that you can punch someone in the stomach in the NBA and not foul out of a game.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am

Bucks should have killed us, well they were without their starting pg too, but they really should have blown us out with Tatum so non existent. Tatum has to get stronger mentally, when his shot is off, the greats still impact the game in intangible ways, defense, hustle plays, setting up others. He could have made more effort plays. At crunch time Bucks got all the calls, the biggest one being Smarts charge on Giannis being reversed when the film clearly showed both feet were out of the restriction area. Shocking if we get that call, we could easily have won the game despite Tatum. Well glad Tatum got this stinker out of his system.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am

worcester wrote:Well now we know that you can punch someone in the stomach in the NBA and not foul out of a game.

Yeah, that was a palm strike, how was that not a foul? The play where he crashed into Smarts back, landing on top of him, how was that not a flagrant?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am

Hi,
Sorry, couldn't participate in Zoom last night.
I think it's a disgrace what the refs did last night. I think they decided the outcome of the game.
As for the individual performances, let's not forget GH: very quietly he got 17-9-6.
Overall, the team seemed to be lethargic. Hopefully, they'll get into fighting mode after a game or two.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:21 am

worcester wrote:Well now we know that you can punch someone in the stomach in the NBA and not foul out of a game.

NO, unless your name is Giannis Antetokounmpo.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 am

As a man with two Greek parents, I love Giannis, but he is being treated with undue deference by the refs. With last night's terrible game, Tatum just lost his luster, and it will be a while before refs give him the easy calls again.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Watching the second half I was impressed with the team defense and individually with Gordon, who looked physically as athletic as he’s ever been post injury. And of course Marcus and Theis as already noted.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:27 pm

BingBang! wrote:Watching the second half I was impressed with the team defense and individually with Gordon, who looked physically as athletic as he’s ever been post injury.  And of course Marcus and Theis as already noted.

Ditto.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:19 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/controversial-calls-surround-giannis-antetokounmpo-in-bucks-bubbleopening-win-020445509.html

Controversial calls surround Giannis Antetokounmpo in Bucks' bubble-opening win

Jack Baer
Writer
Yahoo Sports

Jul 31, 2020, 7:04 PM

The Milwaukee Bucks opened their season reboot with a 119-112 win over the Boston Celtics, but a pair of Celtics players had some gripes about the officiating around Giannis Antetokounmpo after the game.

The Greek Freak was at the center of multiple controversial calls as the Bucks closed out the game, starting with a questionable non-call on what looked like goaltending midway through the fourth quarter. A few minutes later, the real drama began.

Giannis Antetokounmpo’s close calls

Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20 27ef5790-d39b-11ea-b7fd-2ac3f8d251ed
Giannis Antetokounmpo might have benefited from some close calls. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis, Pool)

The first big swing came with two-and-a-half minutes remaining when Antetokounmpo tried to move through a screen set by Boston center Daniel Theis. The result of the play was what looked liked hard contact to an ... unfortunate area on Theis’ body.

gifdsports
@gifdsports
Refs didn't call a foul on Giannis on this play, would have been his sixth
https://twitter.com/i/status/1289368190427058178

That play led to a whistle from officials, who determined Antetokounmpo had not committed a “hostile act.” In doing so, they also told Celtics coach Brad Stevens they could not call a personal foul, which was not insignificant as Antetokounmpo was on his fifth foul. One more would have removed the reigning MVP from the game.

After the game, crew chief James Capers said he saw no illegal or hostile contact on the play.

Marc J. Spears
@MarcJSpears
NBA Referee James Capers Comments to a pool reporter after tonight's Celtics-Bucks game:
Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20 EeTVgZxXYAEfDik?format=jpg&name=small

A few plays later, Antetokounmpo found himself with the ball on offense and did his usual thing, driving from the top of the perimeter for a pretty lay-up. However, as Antetokounmpo took flight, Celtics guard Marcus Smart took position between him and the basket, leading to the classic block or charge conundrum.

Initially called a charge, the call was later overturned to a blocking foul as Antetokounmpo again avoided a foul-out. The subsequent and-1 free throw gave the Bucks a 113-110 lead with 1:28 remaining in the game.

Rob Perez
@WorldWideWob
Giannis
https://twitter.com/i/status/1289368637338345473

Another angle of the play showed how close the call was. Smart had his left foot initially in the restricted area when Antetokounmpo put his shot up, then pulled it out as contact occurred.

Mich M.
@MirazNBA
Giannis again almost fouls out. Refs reviewing. Looks like a blocking foul.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1289368630652579841

The Bucks coasted to a win from there, with Antetokounmpo finishing with an MVP-esque 36 points on 14-of-20 shooting, 15 rebounds and 7 assists. Obviously, a lot more went into that than some favorable calls, especially when Antetokounmpo’s fifth foul seemed to be of the phantom variety.

Smart was still wasn’t happy about the call, and threw out an interesting theory after the game.

Jay King
@ByJayKing
Marcus Smart on the charge being overturned: “The excuse was I was late on the charge. ... Quite frankly I think we all know what was about. Giannis (would have had) six fouls.”

Another member of the Celtics went even further on his Instagram story:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Jaylen Brown’s Instagram story:
Post Game Thread - Bubble Game 1, vs Bucks 7/31/20 EeTXtQHXYAA9mle?format=jpg

Bold statements from some players who are all sharing the same hotel.

bob
MY NOTE:  Bitching isn't going to change anything, not by us, not by Brad and Danny, not by the players but I do like that they are taking these games VERY seriously.  So a little bitching might be chicken soup for their soul.  I'm not sure it was wise of normally very prudent and measured Jaylen Brown to post a picture of Ken Mauer and Giannis walking hand-in-hand.  You're going to see Mauer again, Jaylen, before this is over.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:09 pm

Bobh,
True, Celtics performance left much to be desired. But the blatant disregard of the rules of the game that we saw yesterday has to be addressed. If we (fans) and players voice our disagreement the league will listen.
Heck, even one of the announcers said: " ... they want to keep Giannis in the game"
Actually, I was surprised how mildly Brad and players reacted to the obvious refs' mistakes.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm

The Heat are spanking Denver.  This just aggravates me because the refs last night decided that they were not going to call out Giannis.  They blew the goal tending call, they called grant for a fingernail foul on a 3 point shot and they let Giannis foul Theis who was setting a screen.  They could have called Giannis for a flagrant on Smart as well.

Who's afraid of the Bucks?  I'm not.  Last night Boston proves beyond a doubt that they can beat the Bucks.

Sufficient comments about contributions from our guys have already been made so I will not over indulge you.  

I do have one observation with respect to the rotations.  The Celtics went with a 9 man rotation plus 4 minutes for Grant Williams.  

We got the Blazers tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 on ABC.  I expect to see Tatum snap out of Wonderland.  Kemba looks like he is ready to play a few more minutes.  With the Blazers fighting to make the play in round you can expect a very competitive game.

We will have another Zoom postgame recap after the game.  I will post the link on the home page under For Members Only: Zoom Board Meetings and More!

Special Thanks to dbrown, Cow, KDP59 and the great Bob Heckler for joining our post game wrap last night.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:13 pm

incidental contact?

Definition of incidental (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: being likely to ensue as a chance or minor consequence
social obligations incidental to the job
b: MINOR sense 1
2: occurring merely by chance or without intention or calculation

"his hand touched the belt line of Theis..." So now punching or smashing with the heel of your hand is just touching? The ref must have failed either English in school, or his last eye test, or both.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:59 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/08/boston-celtics-marcus-smart-fined-15000-for-saying-officials-tried-to-keep-giannis-antetokounmpo-in-the-game.html

Boston Celtics’ Marcus Smart fined $15,000 for saying officials tried to keep Giannis Antetokounmpo in the game

Updated Aug 01, 8:39 PM; Posted Aug 01, 8:37 PM

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart has been fined $15,000 for criticizing the officials following Boston’s 119-112 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks, according to the Athletic’s Shams Charania.

Smart was livid at the officials following Boston’s loss and accused officials of trying to keep Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo in the game when he had five fouls for a lengthy portion of the fourth quarter.

“Quite frankly I think we all know what that was about: Giannis’ sixth foul and they didn’t want to get him out,” Smart said. “Let’s just call that spade a spade and that’s what it is.”

Twice in the final minutes, Antetokounmpo appeared to commit his sixth, but both times officials overturned the call, allowing Antetokounmpo to stay in the game.

In the first play, Antetokounmpo appeared to make a lot of contact with Daniel Theis’ midsection. The play was reviewed for a hostile act, but officials determined Antetokounmpo did not commit his sixth foul.

“They just said he didn’t get hit in the stomach,” Brad Stevens said after the game. “They said they could not call a personal foul, so that must be when you go to the review to see if it’s a hostile act I guess you can’t call a personal foul. That was what they told me. So we moved on.”

On the second play, Smart initially appeared to draw Antetokounmpo’s sixth foul on a charge. But the call was overturned and changed to a blocking foul upon review, and Antetokounmpo -- who made the layup -- was given a free throw as well. That was a six-point swing, and perhaps more importantly, it allowed Antetokounmpo to stay in the game.

“Smart was not established in a legal guarding position at the time of Antetokounmpo’s gather on the driving shot attempt,” the league said in its last two-minute report.

Despite the loss, and his frustrations with the officials, Smart said he was proud of Boston’s effort.

“We knew eventually we’ll make a run and that’s what we did. We came up short tonight but I’m proud of my guys for fighting and that’s what we’ve got to do. We can’t wait until we’re down 15 or 12 to start fighting, we’ve got to fight right off the bat.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Heat/Raptors on and Butler is playing
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:05 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/08/boston-celtics-marcus-smart-fined-15000-for-saying-officials-tried-to-keep-giannis-antetokounmpo-in-the-game.html

Boston Celtics’ Marcus Smart fined $15,000 for saying officials tried to keep Giannis Antetokounmpo in the game

Hi,
I wonder if one of the announcers (JVG or Mark Jackson) is going to be punished for saying practically the same...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 pm

JVG also noticed the Jayson had not crossed half court when he threw the ball to Gordon. Thus no foul should have been called there.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:22 pm

worcester wrote:JVG also noticed the Jayson had not crossed half court when he threw the ball to Gordon. Thus no foul should have been called there.

Worcester,
Absolutely correct. But it happened in the Blazers game.
I wonder if the refs also need a few games to get in shape: of seeing and remembering the rules...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:24 pm

Actually I have heard the refs talk about that very thing. It takes a few games for their eye speed to acclimitize to the speed of the game.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down