Celtics vs Heat - Game 6 keys To winning

Go down

Celtics vs Heat - Game 6 keys To winning Empty Celtics vs Heat - Game 6 keys To winning

Post by dboss Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Game 6 presents the same set of objectives for the Celtics as the previous game.  

The Heat cannot change who they are.  They have to play zone because they do not have the players who can defend one on one.   I suspect they will try to mix and match variations of zones against our guys.

On offense they want to get into their PNR game with Bam and Goran.  Bam was upset after game 5 because he played below his series average (20/10 guy)  They set a lot of screens and they move the ball well on offense.

Keys To Winning

Energy and intensity leads to winning more 50/50 balls.  This series has proven that games are often decided by 1 or 2 possessions.  We have the athletes and the physicality to win those opportunities.  We cannot let them outwork us.  Winning the 50/50 games means winning more possessions.

Beating zone defenses requires that you play team basketball.  It takes patience and intelligence.  The Celtics destroyed the Heat because they destroyed their zones.  We need more of the same in game 6.

I have come to the conclusion that if we do not turn the ball over they simply cannot beat us.  We reduced the turnovers down to 11 in game 5.  We still saw some bad turnovers especially in the first QTR.  We need a mistake free game.

The pace of this game will favor Boston provided they get up and down and not get lulled into playing slow which is what works best for the Heat's defense.

Other Factors

Marcus Smart stepped into the starting lineup after GH twisted his ankle and we really needed him to score.  In game 5 he shot 3-9 which is not particularly appealing but he also had 8 rebounds and 8 assists plus 4 steals and only 1 turnover.   He scored 12 points which is right where they need him to be.  We need him to stay focused on what he does best.  We need him to shut down somebody like Dragic or Herro.  We do not need him to be a big time scorer.

GH has yet to break out but I think he is overdue.  This will be his 3rd game back so I am looking for him becoming more aggressive.  He only took 9 shots in game 5.  He is playing like he does not want to get in anybody's way but we need him to make good trouble.

Daniel Theis was special in game 5 but I really do not look for him to replicate that showing.  Kanter is probably going to get some minutes and I just hope we get the good Kanter and not the bad one.  Most likely we will get a combination of both just like we did in game 5.  He will rebound and get us some points in the post and he will also get beat on rotations and miss point blank layups.  My new nickname for him is Mr. Bunny.

Brad rolled out a dreadful rotations in game 5 with 3 non-shooters/scorers in the lineup.  We do not need any more of that nonsense.  Keep 3 scorers in the game at all times by rotating your 4 best offensive players.  

For example, Grant is one of the worst offensive players that I have seen in recent years.  He has no basketball moves.  It is kind of amusing but probably more ironic.  He went scoreless in game 5 and had just one rebound.  He got taken off the bounce twice and he committed 2 fouls.  His one opportunity to add some measure of value to his 8 minutes of play occurred when GH passed the ball for Grant to get an open corner 3 uncontested shot.  GH expected him to be there.  I expected him to be there.  The only shot that he has been making with some degree of accuracy is that left corner 3.  Instead Grant heads down the baseline and the pass goes out of bounds.  If you only have 8 minutes of rotation time at 5 those minutes need to go to Robert Williams because he can rebound and he can score in the post.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down