worcester
Sam
sinus007
bobheckler
tjmakz
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Shaq's comments on Harangody signing: Empty Shaq's comments on Harangody signing:

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:57 am

In the middle of the news conference, the C's announced the official signing of Luke Harangody (a 2 yr, $1.3 mil guaranteed deal)... Shaq leans over to Doc and says "who's that?" In fact, reader Section328 has already transcribed it.

Shaq: [turning to Doc] Who is that?
Doc: Rookie from Notre Dame.
Shaq: Guard or big man?
Doc: Big man.
Shaq: Big man. Oh.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Shaq's comments on Harangody signing: Empty Re: Shaq's comments on Harangody signing:

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Shaq's perception of "big" is probably different from Doc's, ergo his response.

What I find interesting about this is not Shaq's response (I hope I don't insult anybody by saying I don't give a fat rat's ass about off-the-cuff, non-basketball related comments by Kazaam) but that Harangody's a very late 2nd rounder and he still got a guaranteed 2 year contract.

He must have really impressed the coaching staff at summer league. I'm not surprised, he led the team in points and rebounds (despite the presence of a much bigger, stronger and more experienced Erden).

bob
P.S. I'm assuming you were serious about this, TJ, and not just busting Shaq's chops.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Shaq's comments on Harangody signing: Empty Re: Shaq's comments on Harangody signing:

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:17 pm

I didn't make this up but I can't verify without a doubt that it happened.
Poor info forwarding journalism on my part...

Shaq makes me laugh.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi,
do you have a link to the announcement of sign of LH?
Thanks,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Sorry, no link yet.

'According to Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston, Luke Harangody signed his rookie contract with the Celtics on Tuesday.

Forsberg added that the C's roster is now full at 15, until Rasheed Wallace's situation is settled.

Harangody likely won't see major minutes for the C's this season, but he'll provide insurance in the frontcourt behind the likes of Kevin Garnett, Glen Davis, Shaquille O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal and potentially Semih Erden to start the season.'
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:46 pm

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/08/10/celtics-sign-harangody-to-contract/

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-52130-NBA-Draft-Examiner~y2010m8d10-Boston-Celtics-sign-2010-secondround-pick-Luke-Harangody-to-twoyear-deal?cid=sharing_twitter:52130

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 2nd link provided)
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Both years guaranteed.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't get the significance of Shaq's reaction upon hearing about Harangody's signing. I'd have to read a lot into the word "Oh" for it to mean anything other than, "I get it. Thanks for letting me know."

With all the veterans on the roster (and hopefully at least one more to replace Sheed), Ii think this season's value of Bradley and Harangody will be similar to stocking a minor league baseball tesm. Nice to have some young guys in the pipeline to be developed for the future and to figure out their best positions. If either makes a contribution this season, other than at the D League level, it will be a most pleasant bonus. And there's always the case that he could be used as a filler in a trade or (if this season is anything like the past one, which I hope it's not) available to fill out the active roster in injury emergencies.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Sam,

If this was directed at me, I posted this because I thought it was comical that Shaq didn't know who Harangody was or what position he played.
I could understand this for a veteran football player with so many players and draft picks, but I would have thought that in the last week, Shaq would have gone on the computer to see who Boston drafted or asked someone about it.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:56 pm

TJ, when I direct a post at someone in particular, I address that person by name 100% of the time.

I don't imagine Shaq's as curious as many of us are, because he knows many of the peripheral players may have their situations changed prior training camp.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 pm

Being a basketball fan alone, I would have thought that Shaq would have at least heard of Luke Harangody, especially since he played multiple years for a large college. Add in the fact that he was one of the 2 players that Boston signed this summer, and it's hard to believe that Luke's name didn't ring a bell with The Shaqrock.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I doubt that Shaq followed Notre Dame much the past few years. He probably watched the Final Four and that was it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:14 pm

worcester wrote:I doubt that Shaq followed Notre Dame much the past few years. He probably watched the Final Four and that was it.

W,

Where is the avatar pic?

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Yesterday Elena wrote that her boyfriend would be gone for a week to Spain, invited me to visit her in Scotland, and said it would be great. I wrote back asking for clarity. Would I be staying with her? Would we still be lovers as always before? She responded that she's madly in love with this guy and has no romantic interests otherwise. So I congratulated her and declined the invitation.

Imagine if I'd gone to the trouble and expense of flying to see her and she,
"settling a pillow by her head,
Should say: ``That is not what I meant at all.
That is not it, at all.''

I may be getting older, but I'm no J. Alfred Prufrock, at least not yet. So in the interim I'd rather contemplate the beauty off Santorini than Elena whenever I post on Sam's site.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:50 pm

TJ,

A lot of fans have the opinion that nba players think a lot about the team in the off-season. It's seldom true. They're human beings, enjoying their vacations like the rest of us at least try to do; and many of them have off-season pursuits they follow, such as camps, golf, business opportunities, recording CDs (lol), appearances, etc. I believe Shaq quite likely has more off-season pursuits than most players to preoccupy him because he's into everything.

The sheer business of being a celebrity in demand undoubtedly occupies his mind much of the time. It's probably significant that his introduction by the Celtics had to be delayed—probably until he could make himself available.

I can pretty much guess what Celtic-related matter been most occupying Shaq's mind in the few days since he was signed. "Where the heck am I going to live?" There's no reason that someone with as many things as he has to preoccupy him would be the least bit concerned about the end of his new team's roster—a couple of guys who could well be D-League material this season. His knowledge of the veterans he's familiar with probably tells him all he needs to know about the makeup and character of this club.

On a somewhat related matter, I heard someone from either ESPN or Sports Illustrated on Boston talk radio this afternoon. (Shaq's press conference actually induced them to talk a bit about the Celtics for a change.)

This guy (can't recall his name) appears to have followed Shaq closely. He says his biggest concern for the Celtics is Shaq's ability to be divisive in the locker room ever since the Kobe days. He says it happened in Phoenix, it happened in Miami (he specifically named Damon Jones as being in Shaq's hip pocket, and it happened to some extent in Cleveland although Shaq wasn't there long.

He mentioned that it happens if and when Shaq becomes disenchanted about his role, playing time, etc. However, the guy did say he felt it would be less of a concern with the Celtics, given all the veterans they have. Not only would the veterans help keep Shaq straight, but they're also less susceptible than younger players to being receptive targets of Shaq's divisiveness. But he did mention Shrek and (especially) Donkey as being two impressionable targets if Shaq decides to go the divisive route.

He felt that Shaq's number one reason for coming back for short money was to get a crack at denying Kobe another championship, which may be even greater incentive than winning another one or two himself.

I can't guarantee that this guy knows what he's talking about, but it all carries a certain amount of logic. Regardless of whether one believes him, these thoughts give all of us something to be sensitive to this season.

And, by the way, the two talk show hosts chipped in with non-specific comments about how messed up the Celtics locker room was during much of last season. It's interesting to conjecture who might have been the culprits, but perhaps it's significant that Sheed and Tony will apparently be gone this season while Pierce got a new four-year contract. I would ordinarily have assumed that Pierce and Rondo might have butted heads a lot. (I believe it has been established that it happened at least occasionally.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 pm

Sam,

One of the interesting comments I heard from Tony Allen after he signed with Memphis (aka "NBA Purgatory") was that he felt like he was being overshadowed by Ray and Pierce in Boston.

Maybe this could been the source of some of the divisiveness in the Celtic lockerroom last season. If so, as great as Tony played in the playoffs, I'm glad he's gone. You can't always know who's going to be a cancer before they get there, but you can sure spot them when they are there and they gotta go.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Bob, I was really sad to read that comment. In my eyes, it was as though Tony had rolled up a big ball of energy and good feelings and tossed it out the window. We should probably start a poll about the sources of discontent or disruption in the locker room last season, but I'm not really in the mood to do anything except move forward optimistically.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:16 pm

So far, what I like best about the Shaquille O'Neal press conference has little to do with Shaq. It's the fact that KG cut his Hawaii vacation short to support Shaq at the conference.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:13 pm

worcester wrote:Yesterday Elena wrote that her boyfriend would be gone for a week to Spain, invited me to visit her in Scotland, and said it would be great. I wrote back asking for clarity. Would I be staying with her? Would we still be lovers as always before? She responded that she's madly in love with this guy and has no romantic interests otherwise. So I congratulated her and declined the invitation.

Imagine if I'd gone to the trouble and expense of flying to see her and she,
"settling a pillow by her head,
Should say: ``That is not what I meant at all.
That is not it, at all.''

I may be getting older, but I'm no J. Alfred Prufrock, at least not yet. So in the interim I'd rather contemplate the beauty off Santorini than Elena whenever I post on Sam's site.

w-

so good that you asked for clarity. that would have been the ultimate tease- to fly across the ocean to be greeted by her telling you stories about her new boyfriend and telling you to sleep on the couch with a case of blueballitis. That would have absolutely sucked.

Well, onwards and upwards. I can only say one other thing:

"NEXT!"
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 pm

I hope to get a picture of "NEXT" this weekend to put her up as my new avatar.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:59 pm

w-

I like the way you're thinking.

Looking forward to the pics.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

tjmakz wrote:Being a basketball fan alone, I would have thought that Shaq would have at least heard of Luke Harangody, especially since he played multiple years for a large college. Add in the fact that he was one of the 2 players that Boston signed this summer, and it's hard to believe that Luke's name didn't ring a bell with The Shaqrock.

he could have just as easily been play acting.....I've done stupid stuff like this plenty of times

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:56 am

When Shaq suits up on opening night and Harangody is on the bench, Shaq will know who he is. Until then, no BFD.

Shaq was late coming to Boston in the grand scheme of things this summer anyway. He was just trying to get on a winning train heading out of the station.

Shaq's a huge historian of the league anyway, right? Probably not as obsessed as Kobe as far as players go, but right up there, I think. He'll get caught up on everything Celtic in a hurry.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:14 am

cowens,

You very well could be correct that Shaq was joking around.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 pm

dbrown4 wrote:When Shaq suits up on opening night and Harangody is on the bench, Shaq will know who he is. Until then, no BFD.

Shaq was late coming to Boston in the grand scheme of things this summer anyway. He was just trying to get on a winning train heading out of the station.

Shaq's a huge historian of the league anyway, right? Probably not as obsessed as Kobe as far as players go, but right up there, I think. He'll get caught up on everything Celtic in a hurry.

dbrown,

Having Bill Russell and Hondo and Cousy and Tommy strolling through the lockerroom, saying their hellos and being respected as demi-gods by the players there (KG, whom Shaq has said was one of his "favorite young players", considers Russ his father-figure. It was Russ who convinced Shaq to reconcile with Kobe), will make him a Big Shamrock.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next