NYCelt
worcester
dboss
dbrown4
8 posters

Go down

Pre-Game Nets Empty Pre-Game Nets

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:31 pm

I'm glad I checked the schedule.  I thought the league started back up on Friday!  Actually, it starts back up tomorrow.  

Our game vs. BKN will be prime time on TNT Thursday for all the world to see.  I'm sure they will briefly mention our 4-game win streak coming in, cursory mention of Marcus Smart (who sounds like he's not coming back yet?) and that will be about it.  They will want to reduce Boston to a footnote as quickly as possible so they can get on with BKN steamrolling with their latest bench addition who his trying to jump on the Title Bandwagon train pulling out of the station.  

No one will be expecting jack from the Celtics in this game.  Please resume your seat of mediocrity for the season and let the big boys shine.  The 4-0 run coming in a facade.  You deserve no space in the Eastern Conference sandbox.  Something like that.  

So nothing less than a blowout by the Celtics will do Thursday given that load of crap to wake up the NBA.  Now, we have brought all that on ourselves this season.  Don't give me a moral victory.  Come out and clean house.  Play even a 2 minutes of defense and you will have played 8 minutes more than BKN ever plays.  

Again, no one is expecting ANYTHING out of Boston for this game.  We've made little progress since the last AW we received from BKN.  Our record since then indicates we've gotten worse.  

If Marcus is not playing Thursday, whipping the proverbial butt of BKN would be the ULTIMATE team cherry on top gift to him before he finally does come back.  Of course it would be better if he came back Thursday and then we kicked their butts!

Since the all the brain trusts on this forum (which pretty much included all of us) predicted with great accuracy we would be right around the .500+/- mark, please re-predict with greater accuracy your conclusions for the rest of the Celtic season and playoffs.  Include their final record, final place in the East and our playoff results.  Since we did so well with the first half predictions, we are allowed to adjust our 2nd half and playoff predictions if you so choose!  Plus include your predictions for Thursday's game vs. BKN.  Good luck!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Pre-Game Nets Empty Re: Pre-Game Nets

Post by dboss Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20 pm

db

As usual, a big thanks to you in getting this one started.

Everybody remembers that the Nets blew us out but does everyone also remember that it was a preseason game?

I expect our guys to play hard.

With respect to the remainder of the season although we are just North of .500 by 2 games, the overall chemistry on the team seems better.  Brad has tried just about every conceivable combination of players in an effort to see who fits with who and who is dependable.  I think we can get good play from a rotation including

Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, Theis, Thompson, Williams and Pritchard.  Those 8 guys are the ones I expect to play well.

The bench is filled with second and first year players that are still very much in the developmental mode with the exception of Teague and Semi.

We simply do not have enough quality depth on our bench.  Harrison Barnes or Aaron Gordon would be starters on this team.  But the ripple effect is one of our top 8 adds depth to the bench.

The ball is in Danny's court.  He either improves the team or he doesn't.

In either case this team needs to recapture their defensive DNA.  There is no excuse for the lack of defensive effort.  That needs to be fixed more than anything.  

In sum, if Danny adds a quality veteran to the mix and the Celtics actually play good defense we can be right in the mix.

The Sixers look comfortable and the Bucks still have the freak.  The Nets are flat out loaded but they can be beat.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:17 am

dboss,

You are so welcome!  It is surrounding myself with people like yourself and those on this site that force an idea guy like me to produce my best work!

You made a very key statement toward the end that deserves highlighting and expanding...

"...but they can be beat."  We forget that these guys we follow are in a bubble of...now get this...their peers!  It's better to look at this back in the past with say the Bird/Magic era.  

If you remember all of the 80's, the Celtics and Lakers were great as at least one of them appeared in each Finals of the decade, they both had a heck of a time getting to the finals because they had to go up against their peers.  Players just like themselves, so better some worse.  Anything can happen.    

Now in basketball it is a little easier to beat a team 4 times in a series if you are indeed better than they are than it is in say baseball simply because the margins are much thinner in baseball than basketball.  Basketball and in particular professional basketball with 48 minutes and high scores there is more room for error.  But in a baseball series, we've seen time and again the "worst" team beating the better team.  Even more in hockey.  

Now ask the Dallas Mavericks of a few years ago, maybe longer, as they fell asleep as a #1 seed to an 8th seeded team.  So it can happen.  Just not as likely in the basketball world.

No defense BKN can be beaten and IMHBAO will be beaten this year and bounced from the playoffs.  Those 3 shooters/scorers for BKN have to have their legs to keep shooting and making baskets.  If they "waste" their time playing defense, their legs go.  And there is the way they will go down.  Everyone in the playoffs, in particular those from the 2nd round on, play pretty good defense.  When 3/5th of your starters are there for offensive purposes only, eventually they will run up against a team that the 3 amigos will have to play defense.  And there go the legs.  No legs, no jump.  No jump, no score.   No score, watch the Conference Finals and Finals from your living room.  I don't care how great a shooter and scorer you are, if your legs go, you're done.      

We haven't even mentioned the old standby no one considers anymore which is foul trouble.  If those 3 guys are going to be standing around on defense, drive passed them to the basket.  They'll start fouling just from a pride standpoint and then start sitting on the bench.  

This is where Brad comes in and the players to a certain degree but Brad should see it first and adjust since that's his job.

I believe we've played BKN twice, once in the preseason on Dec 18th, then regular season on Christmas Day.  Both times our asses were handed to us on a platter and were forgettable performances.  

We know the Bucks are beatable...it's the post-season!  Jury still out on Sixers.  Regardless, no matter how you slice it up, 3 of those 4 teams will not be in the Finals, possibly all four. But for us to advance, and by advance I mean get to the Finals, Brad is going to have to be the one in the spotlight, the one to be quick on his feet and have to shine.  Clock's running...

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 am

Willie Pep:

"First the legs go. Then the money goes. Then the women go."

The greatest defensive boxer of all times.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Willie+Pep&t=chromentp&atb=v101-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDzM_R4j-_ag
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Very funny, worcester!

db Laughing Laughing
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:45 pm

worcester wrote:Willie Pep:

"First the legs go. Then the money goes. Then the women go."

The greatest defensive boxer of all times.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Willie+Pep&t=chromentp&atb=v101-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDzM_R4j-_ag

Ah crap. My knees are killing me today.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 pm

dbrown4 wrote:dboss,

You are so welcome!  It is surrounding myself with people like yourself and those on this site that force an idea guy like me to produce my best work!

You made a very key statement toward the end that deserves highlighting and expanding...

"...but they can be beat."  We forget that these guys we follow are in a bubble of...now get this...their peers!  It's better to look at this back in the past with say the Bird/Magic era.  

If you remember all of the 80's, the Celtics and Lakers were great as at least one of them appeared in each Finals of the decade, they both had a heck of a time getting to the finals because they had to go up against their peers.  Players just like themselves, so better some worse.  Anything can happen.    

Now in basketball it is a little easier to beat a team 4 times in a series if you are indeed better than they are than it is in say baseball simply because the margins are much thinner in baseball than basketball.  Basketball and in particular professional basketball with 48 minutes and high scores there is more room for error.  But in a baseball series, we've seen time and again the "worst" team beating the better team.  Even more in hockey.  

Now ask the Dallas Mavericks of a few years ago, maybe longer, as they fell asleep as a #1 seed to an 8th seeded team.  So it can happen.  Just not as likely in the basketball world.

No defense BKN can be beaten and IMHBAO will be beaten this year and bounced from the playoffs.  Those 3 shooters/scorers for BKN have to have their legs to keep shooting and making baskets.  If they "waste" their time playing defense, their legs go.  And there is the way they will go down.  Everyone in the playoffs, in particular those from the 2nd round on, play pretty good defense.  When 3/5th of your starters are there for offensive purposes only, eventually they will run up against a team that the 3 amigos will have to play defense.  And there go the legs.  No legs, no jump.  No jump, no score.   No score, watch the Conference Finals and Finals from your living room.  I don't care how great a shooter and scorer you are, if your legs go, you're done.      

We haven't even mentioned the old standby no one considers anymore which is foul trouble.  If those 3 guys are going to be standing around on defense, drive passed them to the basket.  They'll start fouling just from a pride standpoint and then start sitting on the bench.  

This is where Brad comes in and the players to a certain degree but Brad should see it first and adjust since that's his job.

I believe we've played BKN twice, once in the preseason on Dec 18th, then regular season on Christmas Day.  Both times our asses were handed to us on a platter and were forgettable performances.  

We know the Bucks are beatable...it's the post-season!  Jury still out on Sixers.  Regardless, no matter how you slice it up, 3 of those 4 teams will not be in the Finals, possibly all four.  But for us to advance, and by advance I mean get to the Finals, Brad is going to have to be the one in the spotlight, the one to be quick on his feet and have to shine.  Clock's running...

db
dbrown you make some great points but for us to advance to the finals (or even sniff it for that matter) Danny is going to have to make a move or 2. Brad can be as quick on his feet as Usain Bolt, he/we will still get smoked with what we currently are sending out there.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Durant will not play tomorrow.

Db and ktron, we do need to add something to this team. We did not replace the production GH.

The Nets are all in to make a run this year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:17 am

A bit surprised and not sure what drug the oddsmakers are on after the break and why theiy're not sharing, but today's spread is BKN-3!

Well, Boston, there's your respect. They ain't going to put your name in front of the minus yet, but somebody believes you've got something going on and has completely forgotten your last two games against a team that has far more than they did at that time.

Now, go out and do as I said. We know you get up for the big games and this one is about as big as they get for a marker.Get in the sandbox!! Then throw everyone out starting with BKN.

If MS comes back, I'm betting he throws MS back into starter role out of the chute and wrecks any of the 6-week chemistry already built to that point. Has he ever brought a starter back off the bench? That's a sucker bet.

Was not expecting that at all, but I'll take the respect part. This is a very winnable game as currently constructed.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:35 am

i assume it has pointed out that smart may finally play this game.

also i saw Romeo WAS ready with the wrist finally, but now is in Covid protocols or something?

talk about snake bit!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:37 am

kdp59,

Danny always knows what (and who) he's getting into, believe it or not! He wouldn't be there all these years if he didn't.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:04 am

dboss wrote:db

Everybody remembers that the Nets blew us out but does everyone also remember that it was a preseason game?

I seem to recall a game on Christmas that was definitely NOT a preseason game and the Celtics were definitely completely annihilated by the Nets in it....

Looked it up: https://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=401266798

Kemba was out, but we had Marcus and the Js were fresh. They will have to show a LOT more fight tonight if they want to have a chance even if Durant is not playing.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:12 pm

My comment: Ridiculous title to the article.  Griffin is on the injury list: Griffin (injury management) will not be available for Thursday's game against Boston, Malika Andrews of ESPN reports.  Usually one of the team leaders is named here and he isn't one, he is just a Nazgul.

Blake Griffin, Nets tip off second half vs. Celtics

https://sports.yahoo.com/blake-griffin-nets-tip-off-212736824.html

Wed, March 10, 2021, 4:27 PM

While the Brooklyn Nets sent Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving to the All-Star Game in Atlanta, their front office was busy securing the services of Blake Griffin for the second half of the season.

Griffin officially joined the team on Monday and is expected to make his Nets debut Thursday night when Brooklyn hosts the Boston Celtics.

Griffin was waived by the Detroit Pistons on Friday, and the Nets reportedly used one of their veteran minimum contract spots to sign the veteran forward.

"We're fortunate to be able to add a player of Blake's caliber to our roster at this point in the season," Brooklyn general manager Sean Marks said in a statement. "Blake is a versatile frontcourt player with a long track record of success in our league, and we're excited about the impact he'll make for us both on and off the court in Brooklyn."

Griffin is not the same player known for high-flying dunks during his time with the Los Angeles Clippers but is expected to play a reserve center role when he joins forces with Durant, Harden and Irving and reunites with former "Lob City" teammate DeAndre Jordan. In 20 games this season with the Pistons, Griffin averaged 12.3 points and 5.2 rebounds and last appeared in a game on Feb. 12.

Griffin is going from the Eastern Conference's worst team to a club that entered the All-Star break on a 10-1 roll since a 122-111 loss at Detroit on Feb. 9. Durant, who missed the last nine games before the break with a hamstring injury, could return Thursday.

Without Durant, Harden has been spectacular, averaging 25.5 points, 11.4 assists and 8.7 rebounds in 23 games as Net. Harden also has eight triple-doubles with the Nets and entered the All-Star break by totaling 29, 14 assists and 10 rebounds in a 132-114 win in his return to Houston on March 3.

Brooklyn's final win before the break marked the 22nd time the Nets scored at least 120 points. It also was their 19th time shooting at least 50 percent and 23rd time the Nets made at least 15 3-pointers.

"I'm excited. We got a win. To finish out strong like this going into the All-Star break means a lot," Harden said.

Boston started with eight wins in its first 11 games and won seven of its next 21 before ending the first half with four straight wins. The Celtics ended the first half by sweeping a four-game homestand over Indiana, Washington, the Clippers and Toronto Raptors and won those games by seven points or less.

Boston entered the All-Star break with a 132-125 win over Toronto last Thursday. Jayson Tatum posted a double-double with 27 points and 12 rebounds while Jaylen Brown added 21 points and seven rebounds.

"I thought it was big, especially after starting off slow," Brown said. "We played hard man. It was good going into the break. We needed that win."

Boston's offense has clicked better of late by averaging 119.5 points on 51.7 percent shooting over the winning streak. In the previous 21 games, the Celtics averaged 109 points and shot 45 percent.

"I think we're learning and growing as the season goes on," Brown said. "I think we've definitely made improvement in different categories and that's that it's all about."

Celtics guard Marcus Smart plans to play Thursday, marking his return from a calf injury sustained on Jan. 30.

Smart missed 18 games and was not able to practice during his rehab. He was averaging career-bests in scoring (13.1 points per game) and assists (6.1) before the injury.

--Field Level Media

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:36 pm

dbrown4 wrote:kdp59,

Danny always knows what (and who) he's getting into, believe it or not!  He wouldn't be there all these years if he didn't.  

db

Danny Ray better get busy

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down