RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
pete
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Delonte to sign with the Celtics Empty Delonte to sign with the Celtics

Post by pete Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Non-guaranteed contract. What do you think about this? Is he what we need?

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Delonte to sign with the Celtics Empty Re: Delonte to sign with the Celtics

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:30 pm

pete wrote:Non-guaranteed contract. What do you think about this? Is he what we need?

Pete

Pete,

First I've seen of this so my initial reaction is Danny and Doc thought we needed some firearms added to the mix.

Regards

Edit: I changed a word in my original comment to "firearms". After thinking about it the original term I used could be interpreted as insensitive. I hope no-one was offended by it.

Last edited by NYCelt on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I had a feeling this was coming. There were all kinds of spotting of West in
the local area. Last night even had a report of him looking for an apartment in Waltham where the Celtics practice. I would have to guess that there is no one else out there with any kind of talent that Danny would want to sign.

Supposedly it is a non guaranteed contract which leads me to believe that that is what he was running into wherever he went.

Ainge and Doc have always had a soft spot for this kid. I am not the least bit shocked that Ainge signed him, with Doc's approval. Time will tell if it was a signing done in panic or one done with confidence that Delonte can
really help this team. He still has to serve his 10 game suspension before he can play in the regular season, if he makes it that far.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 pm

on one hand im very excited about this.

first, West was always one of my fav celtics when he wore green in the past so from that perspective i'm going to enjoy things once more if he can make it from that perspective

and then, as some here know, much of the issue with Delonte is from mental disorders, something that stikes very near to home for me, as this is a problem within my family and one thats taken a large toll on the family. Seeing Delonte cope with the issue and to have gotten to where he has professionally is always encouraging to behold.

then too, delonte is a very capable player, if he can stay out of trouble we've just become that much deeper, i cant think of anyone who has anything near as deep as our bench look at this lineup
c- shaq
pf- J. O'neil
sf-Quis
sg- West
pg- Robinson = this lineup itself could play against some of the leagues starters and more than hold its own

one the other hand, last time around, wasnt there some friction between him and rondo? i'm concerned about that.

also i'm surprised about the position of this signing, do we really need another guard? wasn't there more of a concern for another body to rest Paul than adding another guard?

and lastly, i'm thinking this fills out our roster doesnt it? Does this spell the end of the Scal era in Boston?? Sad
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:22 pm

If you had had all the Delonte has had going on happening to you, wouldn't you just want things to calm down and just focus on playing basketball. Here's a relatively young gun who can shoot. Perhaps someone to fill the Eddie House void? Prodigal son, maybe? We liked him enough to draft him

Throw him back into the mix and see what happens.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Delonte is overkill at the 1 or 2,we're already fully loaded,unless Bradley is complete bust,do we need him? we need a BU 3.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 pm

This signing doesn't make any sense to me,

I mean we have Nate Robinson as a backup 1, Von Wafer has the 2, and Marquis the 2/3, I thought we would of went after a more athletic backup 3 for Pierce. The last thing we needed is a SG/PG player. Not to mention Delonte's a huge liability.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi,
DW is a tough defender. I hope he keeps his guns at home and brings only his basketball skills to the games.
My guess is that DA and Doc decided to see if he sticks and how good MD is this year. If those 2 aren't on the level they can try to trade them later into the season.
Is it October 26 yet? Laughing

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm sure that one reason DA signed West was to see if he could be queeniebronbron suspended due to possible reaction to certain comments that could possibly be made concerning his mother and Delonte. LOL Seriously, this could be what Delonte needs to get his life back on track and it will help Celtic depth. Remember, there is still the possibility of a trade and all contracts can help in that process.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:06 pm

It certainly won't diminish any animosity between the Celtics and the Heat.

This season will have more subplots than a season of "24." I believe it's fair to say more than any previous Celtics season in history.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Been out of touch for a bit.

I agree with Cow the BU-3 seems to be needed more BUT West knows Doc and the system. Think there are more moves comming!

Sam, hope you have your chin strap on. And all goes OK out on the cape for the next few days.

Made espn for a few seconds at the LL world series. Marcus got autographs from Orel Hersheiser, Gary Carter and the espn crew.

Delonte to sign with the Celtics Little10

Marcus with Hersheiser
Delonte to sign with the Celtics Marcus12

The ESPN crew
Delonte to sign with the Celtics Espn_c10

Gary Carter
Delonte to sign with the Celtics Gary_c10

And I got my first ever hole in one last Thursday Marcus was with me and I beat him by a stroke........(also got a triple boggie before and after it.)

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Beat, what a life you live! Congratulations especially on the hole-in-one. What were the details? Beat, what a life you live! Congratulations especially on the hole-in-one. What were the details? Length of hole? Blade or mallet putter?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Sam

It was last thursday a dry but cloudy and cool day and Marcus and I decieded to go to the local 9 hole course. and play 18. Its a short course with 6 holes between 165-140yards one about 200 and the other 2 about 320yds. We had played 9 holes and I was ahead by 5 but playing poorly miss hitting the ball, ect. We had just gotten off the 6th green, a par four I had a tripple boggie and Marcus a par. My 5 shot lead was down to one now with 3 par 3 holes left. At this time I changed balls as I finally determined that was my problem. Marcus hit first on the 7th hole a par 3 165 yard hole with a green that slopes from left to right slightly. He was short a little. I am always short on this hole it seems so I pulled out a 4 iron. And for the first time all day I hit a shot clean. Nice and high and straight, heading a little to the uphill side of the pin. Told Marcus I hope I have the right distance. The ball landed about 12-15 feet left of the hole and hopped towards the pin and began rolling. I thought this will be close. The ball kept going and was going so slow then, all of a sudden I could not see it anymore. I thought at first it was behind the pin. Then i moved a bit and still couldn;t see it. I looked at Marcus and said "did that go in?" The people just that had just left the green were hollering towardss me then it sunk in!!

And of course the next hole was another triple boggie!! Suppose to be in the paper tomorrow!

And Sarah is off to a great start at Potsdam too, took her there last Friday!!

And Brenda had a flat on the interstate today! The tropper changed her tire and then informed her that the inspection ran out yesterday!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Beat!

Congrats on the hole in one, and you needed it to beat Marcus by a stroke, now that is clutch!

Who gives a hoot (except Matty) what you did on the next hole. I'll have a gin and tonic please.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Bob just to set the record straight, There were 2 holes to go AFTER the hole in one and I had a 1 shot lead BEFORE the Ace and a 4 shot lead after. I triple boggied the 8th (17th hole on the day) Marcus parred it to again cut the lead to 1. We both pared the last hole with 3's.

But I will tell you this, Marcus bought a new Walter Hagen driver for $30 bucks, thats about 4-5 inches longer than the one he has been using. A couple weeks ago before the hole in one he was hitting on the longest hole on the course a par 4, 322 yarder. There was a little tail wind and it is a wide fairway so I cut loose and hit one with a very slight slice and it was right in the middle and I had less than 100 yds to the green. A very good drive for me!

Marcus steps up and absolutely crushed the damn thing. I knew it was well past my drive but i sort of lost it in the distance. As I got to my ball I still couldn't see his yet. So I hit mine down near the green and continued walking. I then saw his ball on the front edge of the green. He had driven the ball about 320 yards AND hit it straight as an arrow. That was the round he finally beat me for the first time in his life. Once he aquires a bit more touch arouind the greens he will be tough. If it were not for baseball I am sure he could make the Varsity Golf Team.

beat

Last edited by beat on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm

At this point none of us should be surprised at what DA does.

I thought a back up 3 was the hole that needed to be filled?

d west can help this club but it does appear that we have too many players at the 1 and 2 and not enough depth at the 3.

One thing that the Celtics wanted was to add another shooter and from an offensive viewpoint that makes sense because more attention will be paid to keeping our bigs out of the post. The Celtics will be a very difficult team to contain.

But my main concern is on the defensive end. We simply do not have a shut down wing on this team.

Overall I would have to say that DA filled one need (another outside shooter) but has not filled the other need (replacing TA's defensive skill set)

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:16 pm

West is not a bad signing but I don't think he helps Boston to any great degree. I do expect him to outplay Wafer and earn the back up SG spot. He is an excellent defensive player and pretty reliable shooter. I expect Wafer to be the one to be waved if Boston needs to sign another player.

I am surprised that Boston hasn't significantly upgraded the back up SF position. They must have confidence that Daniels will be healthier and perform better then he did last year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Beat

Nice ace bruddah.

INre Delonte. It is a low risk move. It's up to him. There were times when especially under pressure I thought Delonte was the second best Cav. There is no doubt that the kid can ball. Maybe the fellas can have a strong influence on him and help him get his life together. As we all thought...it now seems very clear that the Cleve locker room was a Machiavellian freakshow. I like the signing and feel like our bench is just stacked. On paper this team is much improved over last years. But a lot of crap has to go right and Doc will prolly long for the "simple" times of last year before this season is over.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:31 pm

beat,

Congrats on the Ace!

I'm with Bob on this one; where do we place our drink orders?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Well, there are a lot of ifs with this signing, and I agree with need for another 3.

However, since he looks exactly like the leprechaun on the parquet, I can't help but feel ok with it.

Beat, congrats as well!

Sam, good luck with the storm. Down here they recommend all the usual provisions, but I'll second NY's legal beverages suggestion, and you may want to stock up on extra ice!

Pete

pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Maybe they plan on playing some Nellie small ball. It would be interesting to see it on a second unit with Shaq.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 am

I think we need another 3, to back up Pierce, but West was one of my favorite players on that team and I was sorry he was part of the trade to Seattle to acquire Ray Allen (I'd still do the deal, of course, but I just wished Seattle would have taken someone else).

We said we needed another shooter. Well, we got one who knows the system already. He can play point (he's definitely a better ball handler than Tony Allen was/is) and SG . He's also has better range on his shot than Tony although he's not as good a slasher. He's a much better defender than Von Wafer. He'd make a nice backcourt partner for Nate, who likes to shoot as well.

I'd still love to see someone in the 6'6"-6'8" range come on board, but I don't know where on the roster we'd fit him now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 pm

bobheck

One thing about Delonte is he an score under pressure. And man oh man have we upgraded our scoring.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 pm

jeb65 wrote:
bobheck

One thing about Delonte is he an score under pressure. And man oh man have we upgraded our scoring.

jeb,

Actually, if you look at Delonte and Tony on a 36mpg comparison, Tony does better scoring, fg%, steals and blocks.
Delonte is a better ball handler and has a better assist-to-turnover ratio. Could Delonte have guarded DWade and LeBron and Kobe like Tony did in the playoffs? I doubt it, but the thing about Tony was that when his head was in it, he was great and when it wasn't you didn't want him on the court. Delonte seems to be good on the court and bad off the court but he's consistent in these ways.

Where I see this is as an upgrade in our point guard and shooting guard depth and protection for Ray. We had Rondo and Nate and had Ray Allen bringing the ball up sometimes. I didn't like that, since it wore Ray out, but Tony was a liability if he brought the ball up. Delonte has played point guard for years. I'd be very comfortable with either Nate or Delonte bring the ball up, saving Ray. Also, on offense, Tony was a space compressor, because he was a slasher but an inconsistent jumpshooter. West will spread the floor more and that's better for Shaq and Davis.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allento01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westde01.html

Also, check out Tony and Delonte's shooting charts on the link below. Pick 'Celtics', 'Tony Allen' and '2010 season' (or 2010 playoffs) and then do the same and do the Cavaliers and Delonte. See where they're each effective from and you'll see what I mean about compression and spreading.

www.nba.com/hotspots

As far as "clutch shooting" goes, you're dead on, my friend. In 2010, Delonte was 4th in the league in clutch fg%.

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT6.HTM

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Bobheck

He is not afraid of big moments and in fact seeks them. I think he is a major upgrade over Tony Allen. Consistency is the reason as you well stated.

The main reason I am happy to see him again? Clutch scoring on well defended floors. If we had just a tiny (4 points) bit more of that we would have won it all.

With all this new scoring I feel we are in an excellent position to win it all again (the top 3 in the nba)

Can we just start the season already!

jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next