Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Draft Day Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Draft Day Thread

Post by gyso Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am

Celtics draft 18-year-old French pro Begarin in 2nd round

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-draft-18-old-french-043814841.html

KYLE HIGHTOWER
Fri, July 30, 2021, 12:38 AM

BOSTON (AP) — The Celtics' priorities this summer are to add some experience around their solid young core. So they didn't enter Thursday night's NBA draft eyeing a lot of fresh faces they'd have to find roster spots for.

Instead, they chose a young prospect they won't feel pressure to rush onto the court anytime soon.

Boston selected 18-year-old French wing player Juhann Begarin with the No. 45 pick, the second straight year it has added an overseas player likely a few years away from playing an NBA game.

Begarin, who didn’t play college ball, has already played two years professionally in Paris and represents another opportunity for the Celtics to watch a developing player from afar, while still getting him valuable experience against top talent.

New Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens said “that’s the likely avenue” for Begarin.

“A big strong versatile guard who can guard up," Stevens said. "He’s a guy we think at his age and his body and his physical ability and the way he works and the time he’s put in so far, he’s gonna have a really good career ahead of him.”

Boston drafted Yam Madar, a 19-year-old Israeli League pro, in 2020 with its second-round pick. Madar, now 20, will play with the Celtics during summer league and could be in line to earn a two-way spot for the regular season.

Boston didn’t have a first-round pick Thursday after trading the No. 16 selection to Oklahoma City last month as part of the deal that sent point guard Kemba Walker to the Thunder.

In Begarin, the Celtics add a skilled guard with a big first step who has a constantly attacking style that could fit in nicely with Boston’s young core. He is also the 2019 MVP of Basketball Without Borders Europe and is an alumnus of the same sports training program in France that helped produce retired NBA players Tony Parker and Boris Diaw.

Last month’s OKC trade also brought back big man Al Horford, who was a member of the NBA All-Defensive team with the Celtics in 2017-18 while also posting the best assist numbers of his career.

It’s a continuation of what’s already been a busy offseason for Boston.

In addition to the trade with OKC, Stevens left the bench after eight seasons to take over for Danny Ainge following decision to retire following this past season.

His second big move in that role after trading Walker was to hire his successor, eventually deciding on former Brooklyn Nets assistant Ime Udoka, one of the preferred candidates of Celtics stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

It’s part of an ongoing effort to build around the duo as Boston tries to compete with the the NBA champion Milwaukee Bucks, Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers.

“I think we need to be mindful of our near and far-term views and at the same time add hopefully edge and some experience to our team," Stevens said. “We know who we’re building this thing around and we know what we’re trying to accomplish.”

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:27 am

Ktron wrote:GD Lakers. Grrrrr

MY NOTE:  This is an excerpt from Bleacher Report's post-draft opinion, specifically, about the Westbrook-to-Lakers trade.

Winner: Russell Westbrook
4 OF 6

Nick Wass/Associated Press
A few hours shy of the draft itself, The Athletic and Stadium's Shams Charania broke news of a mega-trade that would send the Washington Wizards' Russell Westbrook to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The deal isn't official official yet (we'll have to wait for the start of the new league year on Aug. 6 for that), but the main pieces seem to be in place, with Kyle Kuzma, Montrezl Harrell and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope going to Washington.

Regardless of what the final package looks like, Westbrook is a huge winner here. He goes from a Wizards team that scraped its way through the play-in tournament before losing in the first round to a Lakers squad that will be at or near the top of most analysts' contender ladders.

Figuring out how to fit in with two other ball-dominant stars in LeBron James and Anthony Davis will take some time, but his last two seasons suggest he can do that. In both 2019-20 and 2020-21, when he shared the floor and the ball with James Harden and Bradley Beal, respectively, Westbrook had a better box plus/minus after the All-Star break.

—Bailey

Loser: Lakers
5 OF 6

Mark J. Terrill/Associated Press
As good as this trade is for Westbrook, it may have disaster potential for the Lakers.

Yes, Westbrook was able to figure out how to better coexist with Harden and Beal over time, but it's even trickier with L.A. Harden and Beal can shoot and operated plenty from the perimeter. Westbrook, LeBron James and Anthony Davis are all at their best in, near or heading toward the paint. And when all three are on the floor, spacing could be a nightmare.

"Lakers about to have the spacing of a shoe box," Sports Illustrated's Chris Herring wrote. "A small child's shoe box."

It remains to be seen what L.A. ends up with around those three, but it has next to no flexibility while figuring it out. Next season alone, the Lakers are on the hook for $120.8 million for Russ, LeBron and AD. The salary cap is $112.4 million, with the luxury tax kicking in at $136.6 million.

—Bailey

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:27 am

Begarin is listed at 6'5", 195#, 7'0 wingspan.

Draft Day Thread - Page 2 Begarin

Celtics Select 18-Year-Old French Guard Juhann Begarin at No. 45

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
July 30, 2021

The Boston Celtics used their lone 2021 Draft pick Thursday night, No. 45 overall, to draft 18-year-old Juhann Begarin out of France.

The selection of Begarin marks the second consecutive Draft during which the C’s have used their second-rounder to select a young prospect from overseas. Last year, they selected Yam Madar, who has quickly become a highly-regarded international prospect, with the 47th overall pick.

“We really like Juhann,” Celtics President of Basketball Operations Brad Stevens said following the Draft. “I think that he’s a guy that’s a big, strong, versatile guard that can guard up (one position) with his strength and athleticism.”

Stevens then shared his takeaways from a recent visit Begarin made to Boston’s practice facility.

“He came in for a workout the other day. We got to see him up close, and we’ve been paying attention to him for a long time,” Stevens commented. “He’s a guy that we think, at his age, and his body, and his physical abilities, and the way that he works and the time that he’s put in thus far, he’s gonna have a really long career ahead of him.”

Stevens said that “the most likely avenue” for Begarin is that he will continue to play overseas next season, although that decision has not been finalized. Likewise, no decision has been made as to whether or not Begarin will be a part of Boston’s Summer League roster that is set to begin play Aug. 8.

Regardless of the outcome of those decisions, Stevens believes that the competitive level of Begarin’s French league will serve as a strong developmental environment for the young guard should he continue to play as a draft-and-stash pick overseas.

“I do think that it can be very, very beneficial,” the coach-turned-executive said of Begarin continuing to play overseas. “And that level of basketball is awfully good, and the coaching in all the different countries and all the different places around the world, as we see, awfully good. And so great preparation for next steps should that be the avenue that Juhann follows, and certainly what Yam has done.”

Begarin hails from Les Abymes, Guadeloupe – the same French commune and island as former Celtic wing Mickael Pietrus. He began playing professionally in 2017 with Centre Federal Du Basket-Ball of the French NM1 league at the age of 15. He remained there for two seasons before moving on to Paris Basketball of the French LNB Pro B league for the last two seasons, where he began to gain traction as an NBA prospect.

Begarin, who stands in at 6-foot-5 and 192 pounds, is coming off of a strong season with Paris Basketball, where he averaged 11.7 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.4 steals per game while playing an average of 26.6 minutes per game over 39 contests. He is an improved shooter who connected on 45.6 percent of his shots and 34.2 percent of his 3-pointers this past season. During one stretch of the season, he logged five consecutive double-digit scoring performances while helping to elevate his squad to the French LNB Pro A League.

The selection of Begarin is the first made by new Celtics President of Basketball Operations Brad Stevens. Stevens traded away Boston’s first-round pick, No. 16. overall, in the Al Horford-Kemba Walker deal just days after taking over his new position.

The next order of business for Stevens and the Celtics is to finalize their Summer League roster, including a decision on Begarin’s status, prior to the group’s first practice Aug. 3. The team will then dive head-first into free agency, which begins Aug. 2.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:31 am

Age 18? The young man may still be growing. May wind up 6'6", 210#.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am

worcester wrote:Age 18? The young man may still be growing. May wind up 6'6", 210#.

When do wingspans stop growing?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am

Bob, Overall height growth stops between 18 and 20. Perhaps 2% of people keep growing until 20. I assume the same is true for wingspan.

https://coloradoprimaryhealthcare.com/2014/06/when-do-you-stop-growing/

Most boys stop getting taller by age 16.

Last edited by worcester on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 am

Runs the floor like a deer, looks like a great defender in space

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Runs the floor like a deer, looks like a great defender in space

And the wingspan of a California Condor.  Talk about "defending in space", having a few extra inches onto your reach while still having the footspeed to stay in front of your man will help with that.

For comparison, Marcus Smart's 6'3" and has a 6'9" wingspan.  Now, Marcus is 220# which helps him body up on players but 6'3" and a 6'9" wingspan is an excellent ratio for a defender (81" wingspan and a 75" height = 1.08:1).  6'5" and a 7'0" wingspan is 1.09:1 (84" wingspan and a 77" height).  Nesmith is 6'5" and has a 6'10" wingspan, and that's considered to be good.  This french kid is the same height as Nesmith at 18 but already has 2" on his wingspan.  

I know, I'm geeking out on physical stats but you have to work with what you've got and if you've got alligator arms (see Olynyk, Kelly) then your defense has to adjust to compensate for that limitation.  

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am

Kid looks like a warrior. I like it at 47. One of the weaknesses noted in the video BobH posted was trouble finishing at the rim. I feel like that might be a little misleading. He isn't missing bunnies at the rim, it looks like he has just driven/woven through a number of defenders to barely get to the rim. Many players would not have been able to get to the rim in the first place. In a way, his athleticism allows him to take "difficult" shots at the rim.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am

Marcus runs like a Deer as well, a John Deere tractor.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:19 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, Overall height growth stops between 18 and 20. Perhaps 2% of people keep growing until 20. I assume the same is true for wingspan.

https://coloradoprimaryhealthcare.com/2014/06/when-do-you-stop-growing/

Most boys stop getting taller by age 16.

That was me at 16. I bought a pair of Bobby Orr hockey skates in size 12, thinking that I'll grow into them. At the time I was size 10.5-11. Those skates never fit, and I paid for them with my own money. I also never grew taller after then, just broader. My feet are now size 12 due to gravity and time. Those skates are now long gone.

My father, on the other hand, graduated high school under 6 feet tall. In the next 2-3 years, he grew to 6'-5". When he started to go to his high school reunions, nobody knew who the heck he was except a couple of his closest friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:53 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:GD Lakers. Grrrrr

MY NOTE:  This is an excerpt from Bleacher Report's post-draft opinion, specifically, about the Westbrook-to-Lakers trade.

Winner: Russell Westbrook
4 OF 6

Nick Wass/Associated Press
A few hours shy of the draft itself, The Athletic and Stadium's Shams Charania broke news of a mega-trade that would send the Washington Wizards' Russell Westbrook to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The deal isn't official official yet (we'll have to wait for the start of the new league year on Aug. 6 for that), but the main pieces seem to be in place, with Kyle Kuzma, Montrezl Harrell and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope going to Washington.

Regardless of what the final package looks like, Westbrook is a huge winner here. He goes from a Wizards team that scraped its way through the play-in tournament before losing in the first round to a Lakers squad that will be at or near the top of most analysts' contender ladders.

Figuring out how to fit in with two other ball-dominant stars in LeBron James and Anthony Davis will take some time, but his last two seasons suggest he can do that. In both 2019-20 and 2020-21, when he shared the floor and the ball with James Harden and Bradley Beal, respectively, Westbrook had a better box plus/minus after the All-Star break.

—Bailey

Loser: Lakers
5 OF 6

Mark J. Terrill/Associated Press
As good as this trade is for Westbrook, it may have disaster potential for the Lakers.

Yes, Westbrook was able to figure out how to better coexist with Harden and Beal over time, but it's even trickier with L.A. Harden and Beal can shoot and operated plenty from the perimeter. Westbrook, LeBron James and Anthony Davis are all at their best in, near or heading toward the paint. And when all three are on the floor, spacing could be a nightmare.

"Lakers about to have the spacing of a shoe box," Sports Illustrated's Chris Herring wrote. "A small child's shoe box."

It remains to be seen what L.A. ends up with around those three, but it has next to no flexibility while figuring it out. Next season alone, the Lakers are on the hook for $120.8 million for Russ, LeBron and AD. The salary cap is $112.4 million, with the luxury tax kicking in at $136.6 million.

—Bailey

Bob

I hope there’s a 3 way head on collision at mid-court. One the likes never even seen on the Southeast Expressway.

Big 3>>Big dig. LOL!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:59 pm

Not going to be able to stop Westbrook and Davis in the PnR. Westbrook also eliminates the need for James to be the primary ballhandler for long stretches. LA gave up good depth to make this happen, that's the tough part for them.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:59 pm

I cant believe Jerad Butler went at 40. Whole bunch of teams sleepy sleep.
Remember where you heard it from.

PS. Yeah Huge man Crush on this player. LOVE HIM.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Another comparison for Bergarin:  He has almost a 7'0" wingspan and almost an 8'9" standing reach.  Jaylen Brown has an almost 7'0" wingspan and almost a 8'9" standing reach.  Just about identical.  However, Jaylen is 1" taller at 6'6" without shoes.  I realize it's not all stats, I am not saying that these figures indicate that Bergarin is, or will ever be, comparable to Jaylen Brown on the court (so don't jump salty at me), I'm just saying that physically we've got ourselves another physical specimen to Jaylen Brown except for weight.  195# vs 220#.  That is a big-ass difference right there.  As currently built Bergarin would get shouldered out of the way by NBA 3s because he's a lightweight.  Let's remember, though, he's only 18 years old (will turn 19 on August 7th).  Put him on a "See food" diet and introduce him to Element 26.

Having said all this, suppose he can only guard one position?  Suppose he never puts on enough muscle to guard 3s?  Suppose he isn't quick enough to guard NBA 1s?  Having a 6'5" defender with a 7' wingspan isn't bad either.  

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:58 pm

Salty has become the new "in" word.

How much did Jaylen weigh at age 18? May 1, 2015 he weighed 220#, when he was 18!

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm

worcester wrote:Marcus runs like a Deer as well, a John Deere tractor.

Love red necks

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 pm

bobheckler wrote:Another comparison for Bergarin:  He has almost a 7'0" wingspan and almost an 8'9" standing reach.  Jaylen Brown has an almost 7'0" wingspan and almost a 8'9" standing reach.  Just about identical.  However, Jaylen is 1" taller at 6'6" without shoes.  I realize it's not all stats, I am not saying that these figures indicate that Bergarin is, or will ever be, comparable to Jaylen Brown on the court (so don't jump salty at me), I'm just saying that physically we've got ourselves another physical specimen to Jaylen Brown except for weight.  195# vs 220#.  That is a big-ass difference right there.  As currently built Bergarin would get shouldered out of the way by NBA 3s because he's a lightweight.  Let's remember, though, he's only 18 years old (will turn 19 on August 7th).  Put him on a "See food" diet and introduce him to Element 26.

Having said all this, suppose he can only guard one position?  Suppose he never puts on enough muscle to guard 3s?  Suppose he isn't quick enough to guard NBA 1s?  Having a 6'5" defender with a 7' wingspan isn't bad either.  

Bob

I know they were only highlights, but they sure exceeded my expectations, you won’t find that many highlights of Romeo or AN running full speed like a blur for that many dunks!! We might have gotten a real steal here, saw on a few boards no one thought he would last that late, been a pro since 15.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Another comparison for Bergarin:  He has almost a 7'0" wingspan and almost an 8'9" standing reach.  Jaylen Brown has an almost 7'0" wingspan and almost a 8'9" standing reach.  Just about identical.  However, Jaylen is 1" taller at 6'6" without shoes.  I realize it's not all stats, I am not saying that these figures indicate that Bergarin is, or will ever be, comparable to Jaylen Brown on the court (so don't jump salty at me), I'm just saying that physically we've got ourselves another physical specimen to Jaylen Brown except for weight.  195# vs 220#.  That is a big-ass difference right there.  As currently built Bergarin would get shouldered out of the way by NBA 3s because he's a lightweight.  Let's remember, though, he's only 18 years old (will turn 19 on August 7th).  Put him on a "See food" diet and introduce him to Element 26.

Bob

I know they were only highlights, but they sure exceeded my expectations, you won’t find that many highlights of Romeo or AN running full speed like a blur for that many dunks!! We might have gotten a real steal here, saw on a few boards no one thought he would last that late, been a pro since 15.

From the videos I watched, lots of dunks, lots of outside shots, some blocks but not many (any?) passes. He's a shooting guard and not a point guard.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:38 pm

His nickname - the Blur?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm

The kid clearly has some upside. good handle, big hops and likes to run the floor. A worthy draft and stash.

The more interesting news may be a Report that Boston Celtics sign UVA forward Sam Hauser to two-way contract.

Has a little Duncan Robinson in him. He can flat out shoot and is not half bad getting to the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Gj9fUTH_M

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:10 am

dboss wrote:The kid clearly has some upside.  good handle, big hops and likes to run the floor.  A worthy draft and stash.

The more interesting news may be a Report that Boston Celtics sign UVA forward Sam Hauser to two-way contract.

Has a little Duncan Robinson in him.  He can flat out shoot and is not half bad getting to the rim.

In a little over a year from our 2021 draft day thread our expectations for Sam Hauser have reached new heights.

I had a pretty good feeling that he could be a steal.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:35 am

dboss wrote:
dboss wrote:The kid clearly has some upside.  good handle, big hops and likes to run the floor.  A worthy draft and stash.

Has a little Duncan Robinson in him.  He can flat out shoot and is not half bad getting to the rim.

In a little over a year from our 2021 draft day thread our expectations for Sam Hauser have reached new heights.

I had a pretty good feeling that he could be a steal.

dboss,

To make it in the NBA you have to be great in at least one thing.  Players like Denzel Valentine, who are good at everything but not great at anything, don't last.  We all know what Sam is great at and, more importantly, so did he (and so did you!).

Gallo uses up a roster spot but Sam might fill his role very well.  Brad just needs to improve the end of the bench because the #15 spot is Gallo's.  #14 has to be better than the usual #15 project because #14 has a decent chance of minutes if there's an injury or two, especially if the injuries are at the same position (e.g. RWill and Luke.  If Al tweaks anything whomever is behind him will be playing rotation minutes almost immediately).

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:10 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02ZxRY5pLr9pq7BYEX9Zi4msyqeUUgRQ8v7zabja7PwFPqsXqUgKQAnBmEGsALuJn3l&id=172635502843901

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2