Sam
tjmakz
bobheckler
18 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Draft Day Thread Empty Draft Day Thread

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 am

Let's put all the actual trades, etc here. That way we can keep track of the stuff that might effect us.

Let's also use this as a Game On thread when the draft is happening. A one stop shop for all things draft.

If 112288's conference call happens, then that could diminish the Game On part, but this is still a good reference point.

So far, we've got Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton going to Dallas from NYK for C Samuel Dalembert, SF Wayne Ellington, PG Shane Larkin and PG Jose Calderon plus the #34 and #51 picks.

Omer Asik to NOP from Houston for 2015 1st round pick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Draft Day Thread Empty Re: Draft Day Thread

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:22 am

It sure doesn't seem like Orlando received much in trading away Afflalo.

Adrian Wojnarowski: Orlando has agreed to send Arron Afflalo to Denver for Evan Fournier and 56th pick in 2014 Draft, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Twitter @WojYahooNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.Lms59lCg.dpuf
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:26 am

tjmakz wrote:It sure doesn't seem like Orlando received much in trading away Afflalo.

Adrian Wojnarowski: Orlando has agreed to send Arron Afflalo to Denver for Evan Fournier and 56th pick in 2014 Draft, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Twitter @WojYahooNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.Lms59lCg.dpuf

TJ,

Wow, you are right! First Houston gives away Asik for a song and now Orlando ships off a very good guard in Afflalo for next to nothing.

This might be the final piece Denver needed to get Kevin Love.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 am

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:It sure doesn't seem like Orlando received much in trading away Afflalo.

TJ,

Wow, you are right!  First Houston gives away Asik for a song and now Orlando ships off a very good guard in Afflalo for next to nothing.

bob

Bob,

I thought Houston maneuvered Asik extremely well.
1) They signed him as a free agent. They gave up nothing to sign Asik.
2) New Orleans is pay $13.5m of his $15m salary this season. Houston had him cheap for two years.
3) Houston will receive a pick next year between 4-19. With how stacked the West is, there's a good chance that pick will be a lottery pick next year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:39 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

Wow, you are right!  First Houston gives away Asik for a song and now Orlando ships off a very good guard in Afflalo for next to nothing.

bob

Bob,

2) New Orleans is pay $13.5m of his $15m salary this season. Houston had him cheap for two years.
3) Houston will receive a pick next year between 4-19. With how stacked the West is, there's a good chance that pick will be a lottery pick next year.

TJ,

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
Follow
Pick to HOU has Lowry-style reverse protections, per source. NOP keeps if in top 2/3 of lottery, and if it's 20-plus. In b/w, goes to HOU
8:09 PM - 25 Jun 2014

So, this tells me that Houston gets it if it is 10-19, not 4-19.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:44 am

I keep thinking I see flashes of fireworks up around Boston way.  Each time it turns into a Roman Candle dud.

Danny, it's hard to score when all the targets are gone.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:46 am

Bob,

That probably doesn't matter because if New Orleans isn't in the top 3, then they will most likely be in the 10-19 range because they should be much better then a number of teams in the East. It's highly doubtful they would be one of the 8 or 9 worst teams next year.

This was still a good trade for Houston.

It will be interesting to see if they can and will move Lin for nothing.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:51 am

Pretty interesting how agent Art Tellum was able to manipulate the possible landing places for his client, Embiid, by making medical reports available to only certain teams (including the Celtics).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:10 pm

sam wrote:Pretty interesting how agent Art Tellum was able to manipulate the possible landing places for his client, Embiid, by making medical reports available to only certain teams (including the Celtics).

Sam

sam,

The Liars Club is officially open for business.

From what I understand the teams that have the medical records are Cleveland (who did the physical), Milwaukee (they had a reciprocal agreement with Cleveland.  Milwaukee did the physical on either Wiggins or Parker and shared that with Cleveland in exchange for the Embiid record), Philadelphia, Boston and LAL.  So, Orlando and Utah are excluded.  However, there is a rumor running around that some unnamed teams are trying to buy the medical records from those teams who have them.  What a zoo.  Can that be done?  Aren't his medical records confidential and he needs to approve their viewing by others?  Is the NBA exempt from all healthcare confidentiality laws?

Cleveland and Milwaukee seem to be focused on Wiggins and Parker.  That would leave Philly between us and Embiid, unless Orlando and Utah are willing to take a blind leap of faith (or successfully purchase the records).

Unless the Kevin Love deal goes through (and Asik is gone already), and I'm now strongly inclined to believe it will not, I would definitely like to snag Embiid.  Sure, he won't be available for the first half of next season.  Sure, we don't know if he's going to have a nice long healthy career after his bones grow out and strong and gets past all this.  Sure, we don't know if he's going to be a Bill Walton or Yao Ming.  I don't care.  I'll take 6-7 years of Bill Walton or Yao Ming.  Based upon everything I've seen and heard, Joel Embiid is one of the few transformational players in this draft.  Wiggins is an athletic freak and Parker is a mismatch at 2 positions, but Embiid comes across as a game-changer and unless you know a good reason why you shouldn't, you have to take a run at that.  It would be like passing on Kevin Garnett, despite it being SO obvious that he had enormous talent, because he was coming straight out of high school.  He was the #5 pick in 1995.  #1-4 were Joe Smith (GSW fans still kick themselves over that), Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse and Rashid Wallace.  All of them were good players, including Joe Smith, but none of them had KG's talent.  They were just safer picks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:29 pm

A zoo indeed.  If Tellum wanted complete control, why wouldn't he issue some sort of privacy contingency making illegal for teams to share information with other teams?  Sure, teams might still share the info on a wink-wink basis, but at least let them be aware of the possible consequences.

It's just so strange to conceive of taking a risk with a #1 pick when we've all become so used to taking risks with mid-round picks.  I understand there are transformational upsides associated with Embiid, but I'm also thinking about the possible transformational downsides if he doesn't pan out for one reason or another.  Maybe Portland has an owner's manual on that sort of thing that they could share with Danny....unless of course the manual comes with a "do not share" warning.

A zoo indeed!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

Bob,

TJ,

Once Asik came to Houston, however that happened, he became a valuable asset.  That's why Morey was asking for so much (too much!) last year before the trade deadline.  

The rights to Rondo came to us in a purchase with Phoenix.  Does it makes sense that Danny would just give away Rondo for a pittance just because he barely cost anything to acquire?  What matters is Rondo's worth today, not what he was worth or what we paid when we acquired him.  Same with Asik.

Morey just gave up a starting NBA center for a future mid-teen draft pick.  That's all that matters today.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Bob,

You also have to figure into the equation that Asik is making $15m this year and he will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Who is going to overpay for Asik when there's a good chance he will only spend 1 year on the team that trades for him?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:49 pm

bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

I've been reading the same thing, that Afflalo was another piece for Love going to Denver.

Ainge Miight have to roll the dice with Embiid, if he's still there at #6 and just go for a complete rebuild.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 pm

I would assume that is the best offer that was on the table for Morey or he would have dealt Asik to a different team with a better offer.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:52 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

You also have to figure into the equation that Asik is making $15m this year and he will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Who is going to overpay for Asik when there's a good chance he will only spend 1 year on the team that trades for him?

TJ,

Part of me says "we would". Except that we didn't and, since I'm not Danny or in his inner circle, I don't know why we didn't.

Why do you say it's a good chance he'd leave after next year? Have you heard he has a preferred team?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:57 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Bob,

TJ,

Part of me says "we would".  Except that we didn't and, since I'm not Danny or in his inner circle, I don't know why we didn't.

Why do you say it's a good chance he'd leave after next year?  Have you heard he has a preferred team?

bob

No, I have not heard of any rumors of Asik wanting to play for a specific team.
If Asik wants to play for a true contender next year, it might not be for the Pelicans...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm so glad to have lived during a time when what mattered most in the NBA was basketball.  Trades were made based on perceived player value in playing the game of basketball.  It was an honor, not a fiduciary windfall, to be one of the roughly 100 players in the NBA.  And that honor was appreciated by the players.

Yes, their services were controlled by a contract to which they agreed, but they had the option of leaving the game if they wished.  Yet that seldom happened, because basketball—even with the comparatively lower salaries in those days—paid them more than anything else most of them could do.

Loyalty meant something, even if that loyalty was enforced by the stringent nature of the contracts.  Fans could usually count on a decade of rooting for a player favorite.  Many players developed roots in the community.  Bonds between the players were tighter then.

Sports journalists were forced to delve deeply into the human interest aspects of basketball because they couldn't fall back on "easy news" such as financial maneuvering, suspensions, collusion, blah, blah, blah.  And fans were rewarded with better and less sensationalistic journalism as a result.

So, although I'm not at all sure I'll see another Celtics championship, given what's not happening so far at draft time, when it comes to basketball, I would not trade my life span for that of any other person on earth.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 pm

In other news on Draft Day, the USA survive the "Group of Death" and move on to the Knockout Round where they will be promptly knocked out given how they have been playing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:03 pm

For what it's worth, Chad Ford of ESPN still has us taking Embiid and Saric.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:In other news on Draft Day, the USA survive the "Group of Death" and move on to the Knockout Round where they will be promptly knocked out given how they have been playing.

bob

Oh, c'mon, Bob, have faith. They can beat Belgium - stranger things have happened in this WC. sunny 
After that, yes - their chances drop to practical 0 vs Argentina (most probably).

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:43 pm

sinus007 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:In other news on Draft Day, the USA survive the "Group of Death" and move on to the Knockout Round where they will be promptly knocked out given how they have been playing.

bob

Oh, c'mon, Bob, have faith. They can beat Belgium - stranger things have happened in this WC. sunny 
After that, yes - their chances drop to practical 0 vs Argentina (most probably).

AK

sinus,

Suppose we dangle passage of a NAFTA-like agreement that includes South America?

It's not bribery, it's parallel competitions...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Bobh,
don't think so. If we do that there'll be influx of players from Argentina and Brazil, the popularity of soccer will skyrocket, NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL won't allow that.
BTW, do you know if Sam happened to talk with DA about what he finally decided to do today?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:01 pm

sinus007 wrote:Bobh,
don't think so. If we do that there'll be influx of players from Argentina and Brazil, the popularity of soccer will skyrocket, NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL won't allow that.
BTW, do you know if Sam happened to talk with DA about what he finally decided to do today?

AK

sinus,

I think Sam is so besides himself at the loss of Asik and the clock ticking down towards the Celtics actually keeping the picks that he's too distraught to share his thoughts with Danny right now in a convivial way.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:04 pm

sinus007 wrote:Oh, c'mon, Bob, have faith. They can beat Belgium - stranger things have happened in this WC. sunny 
Their chances were practically zero to get out of the group, so that scenario has worked out well for them so far.

They didn't play well at all against Germany, but they have plenty of time to rest before the next match. Belgium, their presumed opponent (that still has to play out this afternoon), has won both matches but hasn't been impressive and is in a weak group. I don't know how well the U.S. matches up with them, but they've got a decent shot.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:05 pm

sinus,

Sam said that Ainge is looking to acquire Steve Nash as a defensive stopper in case he can't re-sign Avery Bradley...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next