RosalieTCeltics
dbrown4
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season Empty Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:31 am

This season's new name for the catch-all thread for stories from around the league that are not about the Celtics.

Let's kick this year's thread off with one that will warm the hearts of Celtic fans everywhere.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/lakers-anthony-davis-dwight-howard-get-altercation-during-loss-suns

Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard get into altercation during loss

OCT 23, 2021

BY ERIC MULLIN
CELTICS

The Los Angeles Lakers' season is off to a less-than-ideal start.

The Lakers dropped to 0-2 with another home loss on Friday night, this time falling to the Phoenix Suns 115-105 in a game Los Angeles trailed by as many as 32 points. And the Lakers' latest defeat featured an altercation between two teammates.

During a second-quarter timeout, Anthony Davis and Dwight Howard got into an argument on the Lakers' bench and had to be separated by teammates after Davis grabbed Howard's left arm.

ESPN
@espn
Things got chippy between Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis on the Lakers’ bench.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1451752404706217984

Following the loss, Lakers head coach Frank Vogel said the Howard-Davis exchange stemmed from miscommunication on a defensive coverage.

"When you're getting your ass kicked, sometimes those conversations get heated," Vogel told reporters. "Those guys love each other. They talked it out. That's gonna happen from time to time. I'd rather our guys care than not care."

Howard didn't play in the second half, but Vogel said that wasn't due to disciplinary reasons.

Howard said he and Davis squashed their argument "right then and there."

Kyle Goon
@kylegoon
Dwight Howard said that he and Anthony Davis squashed their spat on the sideline right after it happened.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1451773863864373252

"We already talked, squashed it. There's no issue between me and [Davis]," Howard said. "That's my brother, that's my teammate. That's what I told him. I said, 'I'll always be here for you. No matter what. I'll always fight for you and do whatever I can to help this team win.' He said the same thing. So, we're good."

Davis also downplayed the spat postgame, saying "it's over with."

"After the situation happened, me and [Howard] talked about it and we left it at that," Davis said.

This isn't the first season Davis and Howard have been teammates, as Howard was part of the Lakers' 2019-20 championship team. After one season with the Philadelphia 76ers, Howard signed back with Los Angeles this past offseason.

Howard, Davis and the rest of the Lakers will try to get things on track when they host the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday.

Bob
MY NOTE: In what I consider to be an even more relevant point, the Los Angeles Lakers' record is 0-2, just like ours. If it's not the end of the world for them it isn't for us either. The feistiness over a blown defensive scheme I see as a good thing. I wish we saw Smart or someone on the Celtic's bench rip someone's head off vs Toronto.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season Empty Re: Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season

Post by dbrown4 Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 am

Ahhh....The 80's!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:44 am

Actually, during the game and a time out, I did see Smart going at the guys in the game. No one addressed it (meaning Gorman or Scal) but he was definitely trying to get a point across. The other thing is the coach, who did not mince words when talking after the game. "WE GOT PUNKED". My definition of that is that Toronto made fools out of the Celtics. I noted during another post that Toronto was actually laughing at times at us.

Those series of totally ridiculous missed rebounds when the ball went up, missed and found it's way back into the hands of a Toronto player several times was comical to them It was sickening to me,

I said it before, I will say it again, Tatum needs to grow up, stop reading his accolades, and stop bitching (sorry Gyso, that is the only thing I can call it at this point), and start playing like the player he can be. I saw Ime go over to him and say something near the end of the game. He is no fool, if I can see it, and you can see it, I am sure he sees it too
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:06 pm

Nets don’t look so good either, no good defensive bigs, they are also missing Shamet and Green; don’t laugh they were key reserves. Less depth

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:03 am

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/james-harden-has-only-nine-free-throws-in-three-games-steve-nash-says-hes-poster-boy-for-new-rule-changes/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

James Harden has only nine free throws in three games; Steve Nash says he's 'poster boy' for new rule changes

Nash and Harden voiced their frustrations with the league's rule changes on Sunday

By Jack Maloney
Oct 25, 2021 at 10:38 am ET
5 min read

This offseason, the NBA implemented new rule changes aimed at limiting the amount of foul calls. In particular, referees were advised not to call fouls on non-basketball moves such as when offensive players jump into defenders at an abnormal angle or use their off hand/arm to hook a defender.

The decision was met with widespread praise from those inside and outside the league. Fewer whistles would help improve the flow of the game, and defenders would no longer be left at such a disadvantage. But after the first week of games, not everyone has been pleased with the results.

Both Steve Nash and James Harden voiced their displeasure on Sunday following the Brooklyn Nets' loss to the Charlotte Hornets, which dropped them to 1-2 on the season. Harden, whose crafty offensive maneuvers were one of the driving forces behind the rule changes, finished with just 15 points on 6-of-16 from the field to continue a disappointing start.

Most notably, Harden shot just one free throw in 33 minutes against the Hornets, and for the season has been to the line just nine times combined in the Nets' first three games. For comparison, he's averaged over nine free throws per game in eight of the past nine seasons.

"I feel like he's unfairly become the poster boy of not calling these fouls," Nash said. "Some of them could definitely be fouls still but they're so alert and aware and he's the poster child of these new decisions. I get it, there's a line, but some of them are still fouls. He's just gotta stick with it. He's gotta keep going to the basket and do what he does because a large portion of them are still fouls."

Harden agreed, and then broke out the classic move of saying he didn't want to complain about the issue before doing exactly that.

"I'm not the type to complain about it," Harden said. "I ask every official if they see a foul just call a foul. Sometimes I feel like coming into a game it's already predetermined or I already have the stigma of getting fouls calls. I just ask for officials to call what they see... I can't stop playing basketball. A foul is a foul no matter what league it is. But it's bigger than that. I gotta just keep playing. I gotta play better, obviously. That's it."

To some extent, Harden is right that the main issue is he just needs to play better. He dealt with a pesky hamstring issue at the end of last season, played limited minutes in the preseason and is still working his way back into a rhythm. Rule changes aren't the only reason he's averaging 18.3 points and 5.7 turnovers on 38.8 percent shooting from the field. But what about those foul calls? Is there any validity to Nash and Harden's complaints?

So far this season, Harden has 70 offensive possessions that have led to either a shot attempt, foul or turnover. On about 8-12 of those, give or take a few depending on your point of view, there's been contact that possibly could have been called a foul -- or, at least, likely would have been in the past. That's somewhere between 10-17 percent of his possessions where he might have been expecting a whistle, so it's not hard to understand why he feels frustrated.

This drive, from the first quarter against the Hornets, was a perfect example. It's a classic Harden move where he sizes up his defender with a series of dribbling moves, then puts his head down and barrels into the lane. Jalen McDaniels puts his hand on Harden's arm and Cody Martin swipes in as well. In years past this would have been called a foul every time, especially once Harden tosses his head back. This season? No dice.

https://streamable.com/l3b8li

Here's another play from the Nets' win over the Philadelphia 76ers. Out in transition, Harden tries to get downhill into the pain and runs into Tyrese Maxey. The Sixers' young guard puts his hand right into Harden's chest to slow him down, and then may or may not have gotten part of his arm on the way up. Harden muscles his way through the contact for a layup anyway, but doesn't get the call.

https://streamable.com/xy0l8e

These type of drives are the plays that bother Nash the most.

"I think it's on the drive," Nash said. "They're hyper aware of him reaching for guys' arms. But guys aren't set and they're getting caught not in a legal guarding position, bumping him. That's a foul. That has nothing to do with the hands. Those are the ones that I take a little exception to."

Here, Nash certainly has a point. As does Harden, who added, "No matter how much of a big deal we try to make it, a foul is a foul. It's pretty simple. I feel like we're putting too much emphasis on rules or not even rules, just certain people to where you look at it it's clear fouls."

On both of these possessions, Harden's defender made illegal contact to try and slow him down but he didn't get the call -- in part because he's so strong and in part because the refs have changed how they call the game. But neither of these examples are supposed to be part of the rule changes. These are not non-basketball plays where Harden is searching for a call.

Harden is supremely talented, and there's no question he's going to improve as the season goes along, regardless of what the refs or are not calling. Still, it will be interesting to see how both he and the refs adapt. Will they maintain this level of scrutiny all season long? Or, as Nash suggested, will they find a middle ground?

"James will get there," Nash said. "He'll get there. He's gonna round into his shape and rhythm. Like I said he's had a long, long layoff and they're hypersensitive to some of these things right now and it usually goes back to the middle. We'll find a nice balance."

Bob
MY NOTE:  I agree with Nash and Harden, he is the Poster Boy for that rule.  He has been abusing the system for years and the refs let him get away with it.  And on that 2nd video it looks to me like Maxey got all ball.  He had been averaging about 24.5ppg in Brooklyn.  This year, without having to share the ball with Kyrie, he's averaging 17.3.  That's because, in part, he's getting 4.5 ftas fewer per game so far.

On another note, here's Harden's pic from his page on basketball-reference.com.  Tell me he doesn't look like the groundhog in the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray.

Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season Hardeja01

Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season 5SUMEYWRVRCUHI5JR3DZJJLDVY

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:50 am

On a team with 4 all NBA level defenders, even if some never made the team in Smart, Jaylen, Tatum and RWill and some up and coming good defenders; I gotta think this rule is gonna be good for us. Forgot Schroder, who also defends very well….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:18 am

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 8 hours ago
Thunder come from 26 down to beat the Lakers. Wolves win at Milwaukee Cavs up double-digits late on the Clippers in LA. Nets lose at home Suns lose at home Celtics lose at home The early season NBA is drunk.

Bob
MY NOTE: Lakers are currently 2-3. Clippers are 1-3. The Chicago Bulls are 4-0. Bulls GM Marc Eversley is on track for GM of the Decade if he pulls this off.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 am

Clippers don’t have Kawhi, Lakers are without Lebron

We right now are not that good for many reasons….

Montrez wasn’t happy playing with Lebron and AD, wish we could have signed him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:39 am

https://lakersdaily.com/lebron-james-says-something-is-really-wrong-with-russell-westbrook-after-seeing-him-crip-walk-during-lakers-game/

LeBron James says ‘something is really wrong’ with Russell Westbrook after seeing him crip walk during Lakers game

By David Akerman

SaveRussell Westbrook
Los Angeles Lakers guard Russell Westbrook made waves on social media on Friday after he crip walked during the team’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Lakers superstar LeBron James proceeded to react to Westbrook’s moves, joking that “something is really wrong” with the nine-time All-Star.

https://streamable.com/90gugv

It’s good to see that amidst the Lakers’ struggles so far this season, Westbrook is able to find a way to enjoy himself a bit.

Westbrook and James both contributed heavily to Los Angeles’ 113-101 win over the Cavs. James recorded 26 points, three rebounds, eight assists and three steals in the matchup. As for Westbrook, he had 19 points, six rebounds and five assists in the contest.

After being acquired by the Lakers during the offseason, Westbrook has been trying to get accustomed to his new team. In six games this season, the 32-year-old is averaging 18.0 points, 8.8 rebounds and 8.7 assists per game while shooting 44.7 percent from the field and 20.8 percent from beyond the arc.

The former first-round pick has received lots of criticism recently, as he and the Lakers have not had the best start to the season. L.A. opened up its season with two straight losses, but the team is now 3-1 in its last four games.

The win on Friday lifted the Lakers to an even 3-3 on the season. They now have two straight games against the Houston Rockets coming up, with both of them set to take place in Los Angeles. The first of those two matchups is set to take place on Sunday night, and the second contest will occur on Tuesday.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I don't know if I'm qualified to say this, but I don't think what Westbrook did is "crip walking".  A little overly dramatic perhaps, but "crip walking"?  Not by half.

Just to show how old and out of touch I am, the first time I heard that expression was from the recent Olympics, although I now know from the research I did for this post that it was first started by the LA street gang "The Crips" (as in "The Crips and The Bloods") back in the early '70s.  Here's the video I first heard it in.  BTW, the Kevin and Snoop Show was hilarious throughout the recent Tokyo Olympics, this is just one of their shows aired during those Olympics.  Those with delicate ears who do not like curse words should probably skip this.  The whole clip is pretty funny but the crip walking part starts about the 1:15 mark, if you want to skip ahead.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season Empty Some Early Season Surprises.

Post by dboss Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:55 pm

Trending up, Chicago, Washington and Cleveland all 7-3 last 10 games.  I should add Philly and Miami to this list although there is no surprise how those 2 teams are playing.

It looks like the addition of DeRozan  and Lonzo Ball have helped this team quite a bit.  The same can be said for Washington.  Adding Kuzma, Harrell and Dinwiddie gives them much more than just the Beal option.  I am most surprised by the Cavs.  Rookie center Evan Mobley is off to a good start.

Trending Down, Charlotte , Milwaukee, Boston and Atlanta

The Bucks struggle without Middleton.  He is out with Covid.  Not sure what is going on with the Hawks.  Maybe teams are taking them seriously this year.  They are struggling on offense.  The Celtics are bobbing up and down in the water.  The recent 4 game road trip, tripped up the Hornets.  You have to be able to win on the road.

Holding steady Brooklyn, NYK and Toronto.  While the Nets are also 7-3 in the last 10 games their offense is surprisingly bad.  even without flat earth 105 PPG is really low.  The Knicks now know why we no longer wanted kemba.  He cannot get to the rim off the bounce and is shooting poorly and of course he remains a defensive liability.  Fournier's numbers also look pretty average to below average for him.  the raptors just dropped B2B games after winning 5 in a row.  they are also an offensively challenged team (104.7 PPG)

Out West

trending up we have GSW who at 9-1 are the top dog in the NBA.  Their offense looks solid and their defense looks solid.  Utah and the Mavs are right behind them.

Trending Down and holding Steady - the rest of the West

Memphis and Dallas are giving up more points than they score so I see them trending down.  Dallas is 7-3 over the past 10 games but they do not look like a good team to me.  The Suns, Clippers and the Lakers and probably Denver are all pretty average teams.  Injuries to Leonard and James will keep both LA teams down for a while and Denver is still without Jamal Murray.  

So far this year the East looks better than the west
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:49 pm

Gyso can we add this on to Bob H’s thread “Around the Horn 21-22 Season” I don’t think Dboss would mind….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:06 am

Knicks/Thibs have done a great job hiding Frenchy and Kemba’s defensive weaknesses so far, let’s see if they can do it for the whole season…..

Bulls are very lethal because with Ball and Levine both can play point at a very high level and hit 3’s and neither is small and DeRozan is now hitting 3’s too. Love that old friend Javonte Green has found a home defending and running the floor.

On another note glad Chuck and Shaq defended Jokic and I completely agree with them. Who started it and was it a basketball play? Coach Spro acts like his player turns his back so now he’s innocent? Anyway see the play yourself and I agree with Shaq and Barkley that you pull that sh!t with me, doesn’t matter if your looking at me or away, you are getting smacked….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:27 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Gyso can we add this on to Bob H’s thread  “Around the Horn 21-22 Season”  I don’t think Dboss would mind….

If Dboss agrees, I will merge it.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 am

Morris was the first one with the cheap shot, that sets this action in motion. He played the rold, rolling around on the floor, making is seem like he was shot in the back. If I was the big guy, I would have done the same thing. Those Morris brothers have written the book on cheap shots.
You are right Cowens, I agree with Shaq and Chuck.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Morris was the first one with the cheap shot, that sets this action in motion.  He played the rold, rolling around on the floor, making is seem like he was shot in the back.  If I was the big guy, I would have done the same thing. Those Morris brothers have written the book on cheap shots.
You are right Cowens, I agree with Shaq and Chuck.  

Rosalie,

I also agree with Chuck when he said, "Don't cheap shot a guy and turn your back and walk away".  

I saw the video the night it happened, multiple times.  I had to listen to the cHeat feed and wow were they showing their bias.  Even that night I was almost yelling that he turned his back, what do you expect?

Then Butler was gesturing to Jokic to meet him outside.  And then there was a crowd of cHeat players hanging outside the Denver locker room.  They all are a bunch of pretend tough guys.

Last edited by gyso on Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : of, not or)

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:20 pm

You know, I know Smart can be hot headed at times, and has challenged opposing players. The difference is , he gets suspended or fined. What makes Jimmy Butler any different? Prima Donna, that is what. Pat Riley has the protection from the league. We are the Boston Bullies.

They both should have been thrown out. But Morris started th whole thing and then rolled around on the floor as if he had ben beheaded. Learning from his brother and Kyle Lowry
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 pm

Exactly you cheap shot a guy, turn your back and act all innocent, glad he got hit and any normal guy would have reacted just like Jokic. He’s a real 5, the most physical position in the L, like you expected him to do nothing you punk a$$. Morris the fake tough guy should be suspended too, the Heat are bunch of whiners/babies, now I hate them more.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:19 pm

If you think Jokic looks like someone you don’t want to
Mess with, check out his brother. Dude is terrifying!
As far as the Incident, they were both wrong. Morris didn’t like a previous play with Jokic so he nailed him. Jokic responded with a cheap shot of his own. I probably would have reacted the same way  if I got side swiped like he did.
There’s no room in this league for cheap shot artists.
The Morris brothers are picked up by these teams because they want physicality and both specialize in it. That’s one of the main reasons they’re still active. In their defense, that’s what’s asked of them. However, The cheap shot crap is not
And needs to stop.

Last edited by Ktron on Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Strahinja “Yikes” Jokić

Around The Horn 2021-2022 Season 54b8c910

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:30 pm

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Gyso can we add this on to Bob H’s thread  “Around the Horn 21-22 Season”  I don’t think Dboss would mind….

Yes please do that.  Hey cow,  I need to rearrange my garage.  Any ideas?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:59 pm

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:

Yes please do that.  Hey cow,  I need to rearrange my garage.  Any ideas?

Done.

Hey, with your permission, I can merge your garage into mine. I get all the stuff and you won't have a messy garage. drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:25 pm

Funny guy huh Cowens???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:56 pm

Lmao hey I used to have a shine box!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Speaking of, I was exchanging ideas with someone and they said I called our coach an idiot, I disagreed and even pointed out in my post I said the comment was idiotic, that it didn’t mean the coach was an idiot….

I am declaring someone a full fledged total official idiot, that person is Scal….Mr I have NO IDEA what is going on…??? Over and over and many more pure idiotic comments that prove he is a full fledged idiot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:50 pm

And to think they pay him for that. That whole Celtic crew leaves a lot to be desired. I can take Foster for just so long, Mannix thinks he is Bill Simmons, and I guess Mike and Abby are the only two I can now tolerate. And poor Mike, he is losing it, has made many miscues this year. I cannot believe he will last out his contract. Father Time is catching up with him.. I still like hearing his voice on the broadcast though
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next