Pick One Center  Vote_lcap7%Pick One Center  Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Pick One Center  Vote_lcap46%Pick One Center  Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 15

Pick One Center  Empty Pick One Center

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:59 pm

Pick one.  Assume the  $ work.

Pick 'Other' if none of them appeal to you.  However,  we need another big and that doesn't include one of Kabengele or Trevion.  We can sign a veteran AND sign one of those two.  If you don't want any of these then name who you do want.  If you want Kabengele AND Trevion but not a veteran, say so.

G-League and two-way contracts are excluded,  we are talking about the regular roster.

No multiple choice.   Vote canceling allowed, so you can change your mind.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pick One Center  Empty Re: Pick One Center

Post by matthehat Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:21 pm

I went with Aldridge.  On second thought, we might get some rebounds out of Howard, so Id change it if I knew how to cancel and re-vote.

matthehat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:03 pm

I went with Baynes. My kind of 5
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:53 pm

Kabangele
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:18 am

It appears that the team has checked Baynes workouts and have decided to pass on him. I have never liked Howard even when in his prime. Aldridge cannot leave the lane any longer. Kabengele is my pick out the offered guys, but believe that Stevens is going to use at least one of his trade exemptions to fill the 3rd center roster spot. he may then keep Kabengele as a 'project' type player since he is still very young and inexpensive.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:41 am

jrleftfoot wrote:Kabangele

Dito...me too.

I honestly do not think Brad is looking to sign one of the aforementioned centers.

The Kornet signing would not have happened if Brad was still kicking tires.

One of the 2 SL centers should do just fine as a 4th center on the team.

I am most impressed with Kabangele. I like his quickness and rebounding fundementals. He is also a lob target.

Celts can sign him to a relatively cheap deal..
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:18 am

Baynes is most likely a physical shell of himself. The Celtics took a look, but it may be too soon in his recovery track for them.

None of the other three guys fit what we need. Too old, no-D inosaurs.

Brad signed The Green Kornet and not them, so that suggests that the inosaurs do not interest him.

Final answer:

Kabangele makes the team and Brad leaves a roster spot or two open for future roster additions and flexibility.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:25 am

Don't we have to the 18th of this month to use the Fournier TPE lest it expires worthless?

Very creative, yso! Memorable.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:51 am

I found a couple of interesting links.  The first one below provides a minimum salary table that is based on the years of NBA experience.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/nba-minimum-salaries-for-2022-23.html

The 2nd one provide a link to the luxury tax calculator.  Just plug in Team Salary (top left hand side of worksheet) Tax Status, Salary Tax Threshold (150,272,000) and it will calculate the luxury tax.

https://public.tableau.com/views/NBASalaryTaxCalculator/Dashboard1?%3Aembed=y&%3AshowVizHome=no&%3Adisplay_count=y&%3Adisplay_static_image=y&%3AbootstrapWhenNotified=true

More comments in my next post
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:07 am

Spotrac displays our total taxable salaries at $163,639,934.

That does not include Galanari's $6,479,000 pending transaction.

In total we are looking at $170 million. The tax on that is $44 million.

We have 3 open roster spots. If we sign kabangele to a vet min with 3 year experience we are looking at around $1.9 mill and if Ryan sticks that would be another $1.6 mill. So add 3.5 mill to the $170 mill and you are at $173.5 mill (just approximately) The tax to add the additional $3.5 million is going cost another $13+ mill.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:10 am

JD and Thomas are now on 2-way deal but their money does not count against the Cap.

The Celtics could just go with 14 players by signing Kabangele and Ryan. I'll comment on my reasoning under the SL thread.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:52 pm

Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 19 minutes ago
Brad Stevens said the search continues for a backup big man, but sounds confident that Luke Kornet can fill that role if needed.

Bob
MY NOTE: I sure hope Brad is just playing it cool...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 19 minutes ago
Brad Stevens said the search continues for a backup big man, but sounds confident that Luke Kornet can fill that role if needed.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I sure hope Brad is just playing it cool...

This is a contradictory statement by Brad.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:31 pm

I am allergic to BS.

Is he searching high and low?  Just looking anywhere and everywhere.  Has he checked the classified ads?...veteran center/big available, will work for short money...Great teammate who does not mind never playing.  Checking account needs influx of cash.  Willing to relocate.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:01 am

It's looking like the supply of available centers has dried up to the point of aging, declining veterans and sub-par journeymen.

We already have three centers who are questionable for various reasons and the situation could get bad fast.

If we're going to have to take a risk, I vote for taking a risk on a couple of young options and not more retreads who are already limited by skills or health.

Kabengele and T. Williams. Give them the last two seats. Inexperience and all. Hope that their raw ability will help if they are needed in relief. Kabengele hasn't shown much since being drafted in '19, but at 24 and healthy at least he can hit the floor when called upon. To me this is better than going with the FAs now available that are going to cost more and be questionable anyway.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:26 am

I also, don't much like the available free agent centers.

Kabengele looks much better than Smith in the Summer League so far, in my opinion, but I would not really mind if both of these guys were to get a roster space to begin the regular season.

However, I see Stevens much more likely to use one of his many trade exceptions to fill out this year's team as getting close last season seems to have him looking to spring forward right now as the owners have given him more money to use, he has already brought in two veteran guys to boost the bench, did not make any changes in the top 8 man rotation from last year, and still knows that he needs more depth at the center spot even after saying that he really likes Kornet.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:46 pm

I vote for both Kabengele and Williams. At first I thought Kabengele was just another journeyman wannabe. But he has turned out to be more than that. I think he would be a better investment than a veteran retread. Initially I was more excited with Williams. His passing is elite, even for the NBA. And he looks to be pretty solid around the rim. Kabengle is the more finished product but a 2-way/G-league investment in Williams would seem like a good move. He needs some next level competition.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:58 pm

wideclyde wrote:I also, don't much like the available free agent centers.  

Kabengele looks much better than Smith in the Summer League so far, in my opinion, but I would not really mind if both of these guys were to get a roster space to begin the regular season.

However, I see Stevens much more likely to use one of his many trade exceptions to fill out this year's team as getting close last season seems to have him looking to spring forward right now as the owners have given him more money to use, he has already brought in two veteran guys to boost the bench, did not make any changes in the top 8 man rotation from last year, and still knows that he needs more depth at the center spot even after saying that he really likes Kornet.

Smith who?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:11 pm

Cowens/Old School,

Sorry, I meant to say Williams.

I guess that my mistake shows that I have not been terribly impressed by Williams, so far at least.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:17 pm

Probably would not keep both of them. As it is a 4th center will have a limited role unless they can also play the 4.

Kabangele would be my choice because he looks to be the better defender and rebounder and he is a legit lob threat. He made a 3 pointer in his last 2 games so that is an area he could develop when playing up top in high screen situations.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Kabengele.

I just don't see what Brad sees in Luke, cool hand or not.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down