jrleftfoot
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
dboss
16 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 9 Empty Re: Boston Celtics News (2023-2024)

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:49 am

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
10 hours ago
Your overnight fun fact...

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jarrett Allen
Dereck Lively
Jonas Valanciunas
Evan Mobley
Jusuf Nurkic
Ivica Zubac
Nikola Jokic
Bam Adebayo
Ausar Thompson

Derrick White has blocked more shots than any of them.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 9 Empty Re: Boston Celtics News (2023-2024)

Post by dboss Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:11 pm

Bobh That is an amazing stat for D White.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:41 pm

Gotta love Derrick, he does whatever is asked of him on any given night.  This is the sign of a true team player who wants to win, big time.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:40 pm

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-yGxWOHQ9icfF5Z_La1NYiWqin6i6DFwTLw7qKPePGK5fNhsah7u2touldHpmeKrA6F676llwJijNHGM9Rx73ng/messages/@.id==AH6_SOp3TJApZeogqQrRiA6Ocqc/content/parts/@.id==2/thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:50 pm

Won’t open Bob
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:55 pm

Bill Russell said he'd pick ex-Celtics teammate "over any player who's ever walked on a court" in crucial playoff moments
By Julian Eschenbach

Throughout the league's history, there have been many players known for their clutch performances. With such a diverse pool to pick from, choosing the standout performer in critical moments, particularly during the playoffs, can be quite the challenge. However, for NBA icon Bill Russell, the choice was crystal clear: his longtime Boston Celtics teammate, Sam Jones .

"His presence gave me comfort in key games. In the seventh game of a championship series, I'll take Sam over any player who's ever walked on a court," Russell wrote in his autobiography, ' Second Wind .'

Unsung hero of the C's dynasty

The poster boys of the dominant 1960s Celtics era included iconic Hall of Famers like Russell himself, head coach Red Auerbach, Bob Cousy, and later John Havlicek. However, Bill also acknowledged Jones' significant contributions to their historic run.

Being praised in such a manner by one of the greatest players ever certainly spoke volumes about Jones' clutch gene and his status in the league back then. However, it wasn't just 'Whiskers' who lauded the shooting guard, drafted by the C's in 1957.

Sam earned the league-wide nickname 'Mr. Clutch' throughout his 12-year career (similar to Lakers legend Jerry West). Those clutch abilities were not only a result of his outstanding on-court talents but also his exceptional mental strength.

The 6'4" guard embodied a steadfast resolve and tireless quest for success, with Auerbach once saying, "All he wanted to do was win."

Jones was the ultimate clutch player

Upon closer examination, Russell's choice to designate Jones as the premier clutch player wasn't surprising, and it certainly didn't come solely from the fact that they were teammates.

A blueprint for a future great shooting guard, the athletic Jones stood out as a very good rebounder and defender, enhancing his clutch performances on the defensive end. On offense, he showcased a great first step and a smooth-looking outside shot. His legendary bank shot was particularly efficient, earning him another moniker, 'The Shooter.'

Sam led the Celtics in scoring for three seasons. He usually shot above the league's average and earned All-NBA second team honors three times and the All-Star team five times.

Numerous clutch moments exemplified his greatness in that regard. One of the most memorable instances came during Game 7 of the 1962 NBA Finals against the Lakers. In the dying seconds, Jones, using a screen set by Russell, went up for the jump shot. The towering opponent Wilt Chamberlain stretched to block the attempt by 'Mr. Clutch'. However, true to his nickname, Sam confidently sank the shot over Wilt's outstretched arms.

This iconic basket clinched the series victory for the C's and added another championship title to Jones' impressive career tally. Thus, Sam, who passed away in 2021, currently stands as the second-most decorated player in NBA history, trailing Russell by just one ring.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:54 pm

Thanks Will, great read!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:42 am

Having lived thru that era, being a season ticket holder back then, and watching and listening to every game Celtics played, there is no doubt about the value of Sam Jones. Besides being a terrific all around player, he was one of the greatest pure shooters I ever watched. Give all the accolades to Curry, Allen, Miller, i would take Sam on my team any day. You could always tell how much Russell loved Jones as a teammate, it was so obvious on and off the floor. Havlicek was not too far behind though, there is nothing that guy couldn’t do and never looked for the accolades. Knowing he was on the floor brought a calmness to that team, he worked his ass off night in and night out,, as did Sam. I will forever be grateful that i lived and was a fan during this era, they won my heart so easily.

This younger generation of players may be more athletic (although I dare them to try and outrun Havlicek). They have the advantage of this three point shot, so their stats are padded higher but in my hear of hearts that was a time to love pure basketball. They trusted each other, worked together and Russ was the head of the dragon, what more could you want.

Just an old time Celtic fan giving my two cents
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:00 am

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-jayson-tatum-brutal-clutch-time-stat-boston-fans-playoff-nightmares

Jayson Tatum's brutal clutch time stat will give Celtics fans playoff nightmares

Jayson Tatum's stats in the clutch is not a good sign for Celtic fans...

By Nathan Yasis
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:21 PM GMT-52 min read

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 9 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwp.clutchpoints.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2024%2F03%2FJayson-Tatum_s-brutal-clutch-time-stat-will-give-Boston-fans-playoff-nightmares-1
Jayson Tatum shooting bricks with shotclock running out

Why does Jayson Tatum disappear in the clutch? The Boston Celtics superstar always seems to fall short when closing out games.

Tatum has struggled in the clutch this season, converting just 15 of his 46 attempts (32.6%), which places him dead last among 25 players with a minimum of 45 field goal attempts in clutch situations.

ClutchPoints
@ClutchPoints
Jayson Tatum has shot 15-of-46 (32.6%) in clutch time this season, which ranks 25th out of 25 players, minimum 45 FGA 😳

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 9 GIBkRKsXEAAELsr?format=jpg&name=small

The seven-year veteran grew up idolizing Kobe Bryant. From the smooth spin moves to the quick crossovers and the deft touch, Tatum's style of play bears a striking resemblance to the Black Mamba.

But there is one simple difference between the two, Tatum still lacks Kobe’s Mamba Mentality.

Despite being in a team widely regarded as one of the most talented in the league for over two seasons, Jayson Tatum and the Celtics have continuously faced disappointment when it matters most.

Boston's quest for championship glory has been marred by a series of heartbreaks and upsets. In the 2022 Finals, they were stunned by the Golden State Warriors in six games. The following year, their hopes were dashed in a grueling seven-game series against the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals.

The Celtics also suffered a surprising defeat to the Indiana Pacers in the In-Season Tournament Quarterfinals, despite entering as the favorites once again.

Their latest game against the Cleveland Cavaliers was no different, as the Celtics blew a 22-point mountain of a lead in the fourth quarter.

In the crucible of clutch moments, sinking shots becomes an immense challenge, especially for star players who find themselves swarmed by two or even three defenders.

The Celtics' fate often hinges on Jayson Tatum's performance, as his style of play largely dictates the team's destiny. In crucial moments, it boils down to Tatum's ability to execute the right plays when the game hangs in the balance.

Entering the post-season, will Tatum find his groove and finally get the C's to the promised land? Only time will tell.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Like I said in my post-Denver thoughts.  Tatum does not have Mamba Mentality.  This SOB stole my line...

"Tatum has struggled in the clutch this season, converting just 15 of his 46 attempts (32.6%), which places him dead last among 25 players with a minimum of 45 field goal attempts in clutch situations." It's hard to win a Championship when your top player isn't clutch. Just saying...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:22 am

My line would be,

Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results

is

just

insane.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:20 am

gyso wrote:My line would be,

Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results

is

just

insane.

Can a team win and go all the way when its best player is so prone to dumb plays and NOT coming thru in the clutch? I heard on another site Tatum set a record for most turnovers in a playoff run in 22 with over 100 turnovers.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:31 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Having lived thru that era, being a season ticket holder back then, and watching and listening to every game Celtics played, there is no doubt about the value of Sam Jones.  Besides being a terrific all around player,  he was one of the greatest pure shooters I ever watched.  Give all the accolades to Curry, Allen, Miller, i would take Sam on my team any day.  You could always tell how much Russell loved Jones as a teammate, it was so obvious on and off the floor.  Havlicek was not too far behind though, there is nothing that guy couldn’t do and never looked for the accolades.  Knowing he was on the floor brought a calmness to that team, he worked his ass off night in and night out,, as did Sam.  I will forever be grateful that i lived and was a fan during this era, they won my heart so easily.  

This younger generation of players may be more athletic (although I dare them to try and outrun Havlicek). They have the advantage of this three point shot, so their stats are padded higher but in my hear of hearts that was a time to love pure basketball.  They trusted each other, worked together and Russ was the head of the dragon, what more could you want.  

Rosalie,

Here’s another generational change; ticket prices.

We have been looking for finals tickets, which you almost have to buy now, risking your team will make it. For game one at home in Boston the going price is $2,400. Apiece. And that’s about 2/3 of the way up in a corner. You can find them behind the basket, back to the wall up in the nosebleeds, for $1,200. Inflation is one thing but paying salaries and arena costs contributes in a major way. So for 3 tickets that’s $7,200, before adding in taxes and fees that take it to over $8,000. For one game. We can rent a waterfront house on the Cape for a week in the summer for that, or a little less. Seven days versus a couple of hours.

Should they end up playing Cleveland along the way in the playoffs, going to Cleveland might be the better bet. Even then, especially if it’s a conference finals, it still means 4 figures per ticket. Miami or Orlando, you have to add in air fare and ticket prices are no better. Philly, they find out you’re a Celtic fan and the game is a survival challenge.

There’s another modern day NBA difference. And then if the game ends with the Celtics down by 2 and Tatum putting up a brick…
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:07 pm

I know what you are talking about. I tried to buy tickets for my son and i for the Laker game, $1200. We always sit in the Loge section, Balcony not great for me these days. For years and years i always got tickets for christmas as a gift from my son and my husband, Way out of whack now. My question is, were are those kids getting the $$$ for the tickets that you see game after game. I guess a lot of Daddy’s with season tickets!!! Oh well, even though I always tell people, being there is twice the fun, I am relegated to television these days. No freebee’s coming this way these days!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:00 pm

Cameron Tabatabaie
@CTabatabaie
Jaylen Brown passed the 1k mark for 3-pointers made

He and Tatum are chasing Paul Pierce for most 3s made in a Celtics jersey

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 9 GIUK2hfWUAAWmxa?format=jpg

Bob
MY NOTE:  Never mind Tatum and Brown, how about Al Horford passing Larry Bird next year?!  Al has 79 3pt fgm this season.  He's averaging 1.5 3pt fgm/game.  If he plays in even 12 of the remaining games this season he'll end up at 97.  That would leave him only 62 short next year, and he's doing it in significantly fewer games than Larry.  Yes, yes I am fully aware of how much more the 3pt shot is in today's NBA, I'm not suggesting Al Horford is a better shooter than Larry Legend, but it is still remarkable how much Al has accomplished in the time he has been here.  He has already passed Avery Bradley.  How many years was AB here?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:36 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Having lived thru that era, being a season ticket holder back then, and watching and listening to every game Celtics played, there is no doubt about the value of Sam Jones.  Besides being a terrific all around player,  he was one of the greatest pure shooters I ever watched.  Give all the accolades to Curry, Allen, Miller, i would take Sam on my team any day.  You could always tell how much Russell loved Jones as a teammate, it was so obvious on and off the floor.  Havlicek was not too far behind though, there is nothing that guy couldn’t do and never looked for the accolades.  Knowing he was on the floor brought a calmness to that team, he worked his ass off night in and night out,, as did Sam.  I will forever be grateful that i lived and was a fan during this era, they won my heart so easily.  

This younger generation of players may be more athletic (although I dare them to try and outrun Havlicek). They have the advantage of this three point shot, so their stats are padded higher but in my hear of hearts that was a time to love pure basketball.  They trusted each other, worked together and Russ was the head of the dragon, what more could you want.  

I was trying to think of current players who matched Havlicek's non-stop energy. Curry maybe? He's always in motion.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:37 am

NYCelt wrote:

Rosalie,

We have been looking for finals tickets, which you almost have to buy now, risking your team will make it. For game one at home in Boston the going price is $2,400. Apiece. And that’s about 2/3 of the way up in a corner. You can find them behind the basket, back to the wall up in the nosebleeds, for $1,200. Inflation is one thing but paying salaries and arena costs contributes in a major way. So for 3 tickets that’s $7,200, before adding in taxes and fees that take it to over $8,000. For one game. We can rent a waterfront house on the Cape for a week in the summer for that, or a little less. Seven days versus a couple of hours.

Should they end up playing Cleveland along the way in the playoffs, going to Cleveland might be the better bet. Even then, especially if it’s a conference finals, it still means 4 figures per ticket. Miami or Orlando, you have to add in air fare and ticket prices are no better. Philly, they find out you’re a Celtic fan and the game is a survival challenge.

There’s another modern day NBA difference. And then if the game ends with the Celtics down by 2 and Tatum putting up a brick…

Wow! That IS very steep. I had gone to Game 1 of the Warriors-Celtics final. It was less than that for decent seats. This is more expensive than Chase Center.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:23 pm

KP is out and several starters are listed as day to day.   (JT, JB, DH and DW)

It sounds like the Celtics are going to take this game off.  Too bad that they blew 2 games on this trip.  The Celtics have games in the bank so maybe they will spend one tonight.  Roll out the unused portion of the rotation and let's see what they can do.

Portland has nothing of value to play for except improving their lottery odds. (by losing)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm

Banton has scored 55 points over the last 2 games
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 pm

Doesn’t it figure, guy does nothing for two teams, gets traded and plays like a hero
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:53 pm

prakash wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Rosalie,

Wow!  That IS very steep.  I had gone to Game 1 of the Warriors-Celtics final.  It was less than that for decent seats.  This is more expensive than Chase Center.
Prakash, Iwent to that same game with my grandson.We had decent seats too. If you don't mind, please tell me what you paid.I'm curious
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:07 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Doesn’t it figure, guy does nothing for two teams, gets traded and plays like a hero
       steroids-- lol, just kidding
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:15 pm

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 5 hours ago
#Celtics head coach Joe Mazzulla and assistant coach Tony Dobbins are here at the Herd-Stars G-League game in Salt Lake City, watching Isaiah Thomas and several other former NBA players and college standouts. @gleague.

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 4 hours ago
Salt Lake City Stars beat Wisconsin Herd 139-129. Isaiah Thomas with 34 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists in 36 minutes on 8 for 20 FG, 7 for 13 3pt. He can still shoot. #Celtics #NBA #GLeague.

Bob
MY NOTE: IT for 15th man?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:23 pm

I have such torn feelings about this. I love that kid, he loved Boston, Boston loved him, is he ready to not be the most valuable player on a team, is he ready to take a back seat to the J’s, Holiday, White? What does this do to PP and Sam? It would be a great story, to see him succeed here were he had his glory days, and did get a raw deal in a way. I just wonder?????????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 am

There is a seat available.  It would be the feel good story of the century for Boston.  Can you imagine how that would go down?  I don't even think an agent would be involved.  Brad just calls up IT on the phone.  You could just imagine him breaking down and sobbing tears of joy for several minutes, literally unable to control himself.  Heck, the whole city of Boston would be balling!  Pun intended.    

It makes you wonder.  Why in Hells Bathroom would CJ be watching THAT game and THAT team in his spare time?!  Oh well, time will tell.  I'm pretty sure all CJ has to do is text Brad..."I've found that 15th player.  You know it and I know it.  It's the right thing to do."  Just in case we need to go small ball on MIA and put the nail in that coffin. While I think we've solved the zone problem from last year's ECF playoff debacle, it certainly won't hurt to have IT in the line up. Our bench is going to tighten up in the playoffs, and I mean that in the bad way. Having PP/Eddie House, Jr. (or Sr. some may argue) come off the bench like the Celtic no-name from the 60's in the 4th/OT (BTW, who was that?!). No one will have a scouting report on IT. He can come out and fill it up....   

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:31 am

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
In real time, the Celtics 3rd straight double-digit win on the road trip, and they once again have the 5th best scoring differential in NBA history...

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 9 GIhQhFWWcAA7Mst?format=png

Bob
MY NOTE:  It should not be lost that we won by 16 last night on the road without 3 of our top 6 players.  Our Margin of Victory (MoV) is +11.2.  The #2 MoV belongs to OKC @ +7.7, so there's nobody really close.

1972 Lakers - NBA Champions
1971 Bucks - NBA Champions
1996 Bulls - NBA Champions
2017 GSW - NBA Champions
2024 Celtics - ??????
1972 Bucks - Lost in Conference Finals (to Lakers lead by Elgin, Wilt and West)
1997 Bulls - NBA Champions
2016 GSW - Lost in Finals (to Cleveland)
2016 Spurs - Lost Conference Semi-Finals (to GSW)
1992 Bulls - NBA Champions
2008 Celtics - NBA Champions
2015 GSW - NBA Champions
2020 Bucks - NBA Champions

9 of these 13 teams became Champions.  Three fell short and we are still TBD.  That means 9 out of 12 with completed seasons became Champions.  75%.  That's a pretty decent correlation.  Don't look down, boys, you're up pretty high.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next