bobheckler
sinus007
dboss
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Celtics Playoffs 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Playoffs 2024

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:51 am

https://theathletic.com/5435975/2024/04/22/celtics-nba-player-poll-paul-pierce/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=13921316

Why NBA players aren’t picking Celtics to win the title — but Paul Pierce as the GOAT?

By Jared Weiss

Apr 22, 2024

This piece is part of The Athletic’s Anonymous NBA Player Poll. Read the full poll here.  

https://theathletic.com/5433545/2024/04/22/nba-player-poll-2024-lebron-jordan-goat-celtics-nuggets-rudy-gobert-timberwolves/

It was two games, but it changed everything. The Celtics came close to beating the Nuggets this season, yet Denver outlasted them both times.

Despite everything the Celtics accomplished this year, those two Nuggets wins made the difference. The majority of the players surveyed in The Athletic’s NBA player poll picked the Nuggets to win the championship.

This anonymous poll has asked players across the league since 2019 for their thoughts on questions everyone wants to know. It’s not just the MVP, but who is the coach you’d least like to play for. What’s the best and worst arena to play in? How would you grade the refs and Adam Silver?

Several results pertained to the Celtics (more on that later), but there was one of real consequence. In one question, “Which team, other than you own, will win the title this season,” 55.9 percent of the 127 votes cast anointed the Nuggets as champions. Only 33.9 percent of voters picked the Celtics. The Clippers, Thunder, Bucks and Wolves were the only teams to receive multiple votes, but it essentially came down to the defending champs and the 64-win Celtics.

There is varying rationale for why the Nuggets are the majority pick. The two obvious factors are they are the defending champions and they beat Boston both times in the regular season.

But this is a more layered discussion and the way the league is set up right now, we might get our answer in June. A big part of that is how well-positioned the Celtics are to make a long playoff run.

The East was a mess this year below them in the standings. Entering the Play-In Tournament, there was debate over whether the two best contenders to knocking Boston off its perch were the teams favored in the Play-In, Miami and Philadelphia. But with Joel Embiid not looking fully healthy, Tyrese Maxey dealing with illness and Jimmy Butler potentially missing the first-round series against Boston, nobody in that group is looking formidable yet.

The Bucks made a big statement in Game 1 against Indiana without Giannis Antetokounmpo, and the Knicks look well-organized running through Jalen Brunson, but there is nobody in the East that should be making Boston sweat at this point. While this survey was conducted before the playoffs, it was already apparent there was no clear-cut threat to Boston in the East, and that played into the thinking of some voters picking Denver.

“Whoever comes out of the East is going to lose to the Western Conference teams,” one player said in the survey. “I just think when you look at the landscape out West, the best teams — Denver is my pick.”

Their prior matchups this season were arguably two of the best games this year.

Why did Denver manage to outlast the Celtics in both meetings? Jayson Tatum explained the puzzle that is containing Nikola Jokić after Boston lost in Denver on March 8.

“He’s such a good passer, but sometimes you help off the dunker (spot) and Aaron Gordon’s a great crasher,” Tatum said. “There’s no wrong answer, but the right answer can be different each possession.”

Even on a night when Jaylen Brown scored 41 points, Boston struggled to take care of the ball and finish off stops on Jokić. The Nuggets big has consistently been able to back down Kristaps Porziņģis and score through him. When Brown would rotate off of Aaron Gordon on the baseline to help stop Jokić, Gordon would find a way to score either off the pass or on a putback slam.

Porziņģis is a factor in the debate about whether the Nuggets should be favored. This should be his first deep run into the postseason, where his health and stamina will be tested. If Boston can make it all the way to face Denver, will Porziņģis be able to handle defending Jokić at that point?

Can Jrue Holiday battle Jokić for position all night? Brown wanted to get that opportunity as well — would that work? Al Horford is a good fit to guard Jokić in crunch time, but that also takes one of Boston’s starters off the floor. There is no wrong answer to Jokić, but there is no right answer either.

When asked after the game if the Nuggets had their number, Porziņģis pushed back.

“I don’t like this, that they have our number. I don’t like that kind of phrase,” Porziņģis said. “They beat us a couple times. The margins of who wins and who loses is small. They beat us at home. Hats off to them. Then, they beat us in their own home. It’s very small. It could’ve went our way.”

He was right, the margins were slim. Boston would have seven games to try to take down Denver, and its shooting prowess could win out in the end. But while the Celtics are built to mold to just about any team and execute an effective gameplan, Jokić may be the one player in the game against whom they don’t match up well.

It was just apparent that Denver frustrated Boston. The Celtics have taken care of the ball, avoided defensive mistakes and just shown a steady hand all year, but their composure faltered a bit that evening. And the Nuggets showed that, while Boston had all the statistical markings of an all-time great team this year, the Celtics are still vulnerable like everyone else.

“I like that we have this loss in the regular season. It stings. It has to sting,” Porziņģis said. “And we have to learn, and we have to improve and also some mental things that we could take from this game. We had some emotional plays that we cannot allow to happen in the playoffs.”

Who knows if there will be a Nuggets-Celtics NBA Finals? But if it happens, it’s going to be a thriller.

Celtics Playoffs 2024 - Page 2 Paul-Pierce-scaled-e1587246980956-2048x1363
(Paul Pierce earned a GOAT vote in The Athletic’s recent player poll. Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

Underrated D White, Pierce the GOAT?

While the Celtics didn’t get the players’ ultimate respect for their title hopes, the franchise did get a lot of love (and a bit of criticism) in the player poll.

In last year’s poll, Jrue Holiday was named the league’s best defender. While he was dethroned this year by Victor Wembanyama, he held on to second place with 12.9 percent of the 132 votes. Last year, Holiday had 28.7 percent of the votes with Lu Dort finishing second at 11.4 percent.

That’s hardly a surprise, as Wembanyama has turned the league upside down in his first season.

But what was notable was that Brown received a pair of votes, while Derrick White received one. Brown has campaigned to be All-Defense throughout the season and has taken a step forward as a defender. Considering many reporters discussing their All-Defense votes often put White on the team even ahead of Holiday, it was interesting to see how highly the players value Holiday for his physical on-ball impact and versatility to guard every position.

In the most overrated category, Jayson Tatum managed to snag a pair of votes while Brown received one. But White tied Oklahoma City’s Jalen Williams for most underrated played with 10.3 percent of the 126 votes, while Holiday finished third behind them. Perhaps the most surprising player valuation of the survey came in the GOAT category, where Paul Pierce somehow managed a vote.

The fans also earned some accolades, with the TD Garden trailing Madison Square Garden for the players’ favorite arena to play in. Boston also received several votes for least favorite arena, so that may be the biggest accomplishment for some Celtics fans.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:21 am

Who really cares what they have to say. Of course they hate it here, fans root for the home team and let them know when they let them down. I have given up a long time ago worrying about other teams, fans, players. Funny, when they get traded here, they love it. S.....them all. I only wish one thing,,,,,that the Celtics keep their heads up high, and beat the heck out of any team they play. NY has been a looser for so long, now all of a sudden, the world is in love with them. Good, the harder they will fall
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:11 pm

Tonight the Celtics can take complete control over this series with the Heat.  

You know that Spoelstra will come up with a new wrinkle or 2 in an effort to stave off the inevitable.

The Celtics will be fine as long as they remain focused on playing great defense.  The refs are letting more contact go so the Celtics need to use that to their advantage  as part of their overall defensive presence.  The screws can be tightened more!  Jimma declared before the 3rd game that the Heat would go up 2-1.  Maybe he believed that his teammates needed an extra dose of confidence.

The Celtics are really really hard to beat when they play defense.

My expectation is that the Celtics stay in the moment with a very singular focus on tonight's game.  If the Celtics want to return to Miami, let them do it in the off season while on vacation.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm

Payton Pritchard supplying Celtics with intangible qualities: toughness and swagger

By Gary Washburn
Globe Staff,

Updated April 28, 2024, 8:55 p.m.

Celtics Playoffs 2024 - Page 2 Mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbostonglobe-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com%2Fresizer%2Fsf1aHAiUfADH5fLhlYYLIJpBbjM%3D%2F960x0%2Fcloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com%2Fbostonglobe%2FX6LUGRGYFJBPYD2UVGT4LXRZOE
Payton Pritchard is a Celtic who doesn't mind when play gets chippy on the court, like here against Bucks guard Patrick Beverley. Payton Pritchard is a Celtic who doesn't mind when play gets chippy on the court, like here against Bucks guard Patrick Beverley.MATTHEW J. LEE/GLOBE STAFF

MIAMI — The smallest man on the court stood up tall when the Celtics needed his toughness. Payton Pritchard came to the defense of Sam Hauser, who fouled a driving Tyler Herro and then tried to brush off Herro’s frustration and walk away when a basketball was thrown at his legs.

Hauser is mild mannered. Pritchard not so much. The 6-foot-1-inch guard approached Caleb Martin and the two had words as the Celtics were running away from the Heat in a Game 3 win. Such conversations are part of the NBA playoff culture, part of the scrapes that occur between two competitive teams that realize the most physical likely will prevail.

Pritchard relishes those conditions. He’s one of the toughest guys on the floor and there’s no question about that. The Celtics have all the talent to reach the NBA Finals, but at times they may lack toughness, an enforcer. Pritchard is not your traditional NBA enforcer — he doesn’t conjure up memories of Rick Mahorn — but he’s prepared to defend his teammates and himself.

“He threw the ball at Sam and obviously I’m going to be there for my teammates, like we all are,” Pritchard said after Sunday’s practice at Kaseya Center. “I love chippy and I’ve never been one to back down from any situation. It’s kind of the fun part of the game. I don’t think it’s nothing like crazy. It’s not like we have hatred necessarily on the court, but when we’re on the hardwood, we’re going to war.

“We’ve seen them every playoffs, so it’s turned into a rivalry. We play each other seven times in the playoffs. That’s a lot of games against the same people. It brings the best out of you.”

The Celtics can’t allow themselves to be bullied in this series. The Heat want to be the more physical team, they want to push the Celtics into frustration, they want to challenge their toughness. In previous years, they have won that emotional battle.

During last year’s Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals, Grant Williams was lambasted for jawing with Jimmy Butler during the pivotal second half. Williams didn’t get much support from his teammates, and the Heat owned the emotional edge in the series.

Pritchard is trying to ensure that doesn’t happen again, and if he has to interject and exchange words or even shoves, that’s playoff basketball.

“I like that,” Pritchard told the Globe when asked about the chippiness. “It brings out the best, the biggest competitors. We’re not going to back down. They be chippy and we’ll be chippy back. We’re going to compete at a high level. It’s part of the game and of course it’s not going past anything past the game. We’re competitors and we’re bringing our best.”

Pritchard doesn’t lack confidence. He feels as if he belongs on the floor, as if he deserves a major role. It’s been a difficult past two years for Pritchard in terms of playing time. He was one of Brad Stevens’s favorites off the bench during his rookie season.

When Ime Udoka inherited the job, Pritchard’s playing time suffered, and last season under Joe Mazzulla, he was an afterthought. He played a total of 16 seconds during last year’s first-round series against the Hawks.

This time, he’s one of the first players off the bench, not only because of his ability to shoot, but also his knack for rebounding and even using his strength to score at the rim against bigger players. In Game 3, he gathered a Hauser 3-point miss, leaping for the rebound and scoring a putback in the middle of three Heat players.

“Payton is one of the most confident guys I’ve ever been around,” forward Jayson Tatum said. “Any given moment, he walks out there like he’s the best player. And to have that confidence is special and we need him to be like that. He’s been impressive on both ends, being able to attack close-outs, create his own shots, create for others. And to have that off the bench is special.”

When teams aren’t as talented as the Celtics, their best option is to challenge their toughness, be the more physical team. It wasn’t that the Celtics were pushed around in Game 2, but they definitely weren’t physical enough. During Game 3, the Celtics were the aggressors, frustrating Herro into barking at officials and trash-talking, with Martin finally throwing the ball at Hauser.

The Celtics don’t want to initiate any skirmishes, but they aren’t going to run away from any either. Last year’s team was too finesse at times and the Heat capitalized. This year’s team is more assertive, and that was evidenced in Game 1 when Jaylen Brown confronted Martin after he committed a hard foul on Tatum in the final two minutes.

Of course, the Heat are missing their primary enforcer in Butler, but their methods remain physicality and intimidation. Pritchard has done an admirable job of letting the Heat know this edition of the Celtics is different. He may not be the biggest guy on the floor but he’s definitely the toughest, and his teammates admire his fearlessness.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Swaggy P.  Just goes to show, you can't measure heart.  I can't think of any Celtic who sticks his nose in there and wrestles away more offensive rebounds than him.  I once posted an analysis that showed what kind of careers players were likely to have based upon where they were  drafted (I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to find that post now), but I remember that players picked at #26 like Payton were lucky to be in the league after their rookie contract ran out and were likely to be deep bench players.  Payton is the first guard off the bench on the best team in the NBA and signed an extension last summer.  In other words he has beaten all the odds already.  What a steal at 26.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:46 pm

Speaking of C R A Z Y...how bout Bug Eyes Portis getting tossed in the Bucks loss to the Pacers. Stupid is as stupid does.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:42 pm

Is Payton going to make Derrick expendable/tradeable. I sure hope not, that is a backfire I would be sick over. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:07 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Is Payton going to make Derrick expendable/tradeable. I sure hope not, that is a backfire I would be sick over.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rosalie

heck no.

D White may very well be the best all around player on this team. He does everything really well. PP has improved greatly but I do not see him as an everyday starting PG. His role as a pace setter and scorer off the bench seems to be a good fit. He simply cannot defend at the same level as White. He's too small.

White is still under contract for the 24-25 season. He will be 31 when he would become an UFA. The Celtics will probably try to get an extension inked during the offseason. I do not see White leaving in free agency and I do not see the Celtics letting him leave. I predict they extend him in October, 2024.

Fans concerns about $$$$ are based on Apron penalties that reflect current revenues. I previously mentioned a new TV contract that is coming and also the impact of expansion. The CAP, luxury tax threshold, as well as the 1st and 2nd aprons will be positively impacted with an increased revenue stream.

I think the other important element is winning. These owners have stuck to their promise to spend on a winning team.

Get #18 this season and the willingness to keep spending should prevail.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm

I am a huge Derrick fan, want him here for the duration. He is the kind of player that I am always drawn to, no flash, no glamour, just plain damn good at what he does. Just like my all time favorite John Havlicek. He did his job, and went about his business. That is Derrick all over. It is a real joy to watch him, and I believe, tonight, he should be a focal point and use JT and JB as decoys. Let our backcourt take over????

I only made that statement because everyone keeps saying we cannot afford this team next year. As far as I am concerned, if they win, they can afford anything. But watch out, they are gunning for us!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:15 am

"will be good" can wait until the next round?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 pm

The 'Great Derrick White'

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Jaquez has been ruled out for Wednesday's Game 5 against the Celtics due to a hip flexor strain, Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports.

Time to finish them off and get ready for Magic/Cavs
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu May 02, 2024 3:06 pm

Celts went into game 5 with a 28-0 record when leading a series 3-1.

Now 29-0
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 03, 2024 12:59 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/05/nba-announces-start-times-for-game-1-of-celtics-second-round-series.html

NBA announces start times for Game 1 of Celtics second round series

Updated: May. 03, 2024, 11:02 a.m.|Published: May. 03, 2024, 9:45 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics are still awaiting their opponent for their second round series but the NBA officially released two potential options for Game 1 start times in that series.

If the Cavaliers beat the Magic on Friday night in six games, the Celtics will host Cleveland at TD Garden on Sunday afternoon with a 1 p.m. start. If the Magic/Cavs series goes a full seven games, the Celtics will host the winner of that matchup for Game 1 on Tuesday with 7 p.m.

Boston will be well rested for either option after wrapping up their series against the Heat in five games on Wednesday night. The Celtics are expected to be without starting center Kristaps Porzingis for the entire second round as he recovers from a right calf strain, making the additional rest valuable for the rest of Boston’s roster who should see added minutes.

The Celtics should end up being heavy favorites against whatever team advances out of the Magic-Cavs matchup. Orlando hosts Cleveland in Game 6 on Friday night, trailing 3-2 in the series.

Here are the two full series schedule options depending on the start dates:

If Cavaliers win on Friday night to win the series:

Game 1: Cavaliers at Celtics on Sunday, May 5, 1 p.m. on ABC (get tickets at StubHub or Vividseats)

Game 2: Cavaliers at Celtics on Tuesday, May 7, 7 p.m. (get tickets at StubHub or Vividseats)

Game 3: Celtics at Cavaliers on Saturday, May 11, 8:30 p.m.

Game 4: Celtics at Cavaliers on Monday, May 13, TBD

Game 5: Cavaliers at Celtics on Wednesday, May 15, TBD (if necessary)

Game 6: Celtics at Cavaliers on Friday, May 17, TBD (if necessary)

Game 7: Cavaliers at Celtics on Sunday, May, 19, TBD (if necessary)

If the Cavaliers vs. Magic series goes the full seven games:

Game 1: Cavaliers OR Magic at Celtics on Tuesday, May 7, 7 p.m.

Game 2: Cavaliers OR Magic at Celtics on Thursday, May 9, 7 p.m.

Game 3: Celtics at Cavaliers OR Magic on Saturday, May 11, 8:30 p.m.

Game 4: Celtics at Cavaliers OR Magic on Monday, May 13, TBD

Game 5: Cavaliers at Celtics on Wednesday, May 15, TBD (if necessary)

Game 6: Celtics at Cavaliers on Friday, May 17, TBD (if necessary)

Game 7: Cavaliers at Celtics on Sunday, May, 19, TBD (if necessary)

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri May 03, 2024 3:44 pm

I haven't checked in here in a while. Life intervenes sometimes.I've been watching the games, though. Being from Miami, I feel like a burden has been lifted...lol. Just wanted to say hi to everybody. Go Celtics!
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri May 03, 2024 8:13 pm

Jr,

Thanks for stopping in!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri May 03, 2024 9:48 pm

I'll take door number two for a Tuesday night Game One, thanks Orlando!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 04, 2024 12:22 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 8 minutes ago
Kristaps Porzingis said he’s not on the court yet but expects to start doing stuff there soon. He said he’s making progress. He said this is “stronger” than the calf injury he suffered during the regular season and will “take a little bit longer probably.”

John Karalis @John_Karalis
4 minutes ago
Porzingis says he's taking big steps every day with his recovery and he thinks Monday will be a big step forward

Souichi Terada @SouichiTerada
3 minutes ago
Kristaps Porzingis said he had the same injury earlier this season that knocked him out for a week but this strain is more severe. Called it week-to-week.

Cameron Tabatabaie
@CTabatabaie
Porzingis at practice moving around ok

https://twitter.com/i/status/1786789492864524536

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat May 04, 2024 2:04 pm

Celtics will be fine as long as they do not bank on KP getting back.

All the hope and prayers could not change him getting hurt again.  Next thing we hear will be him out for the season.  

When it comes to KP the focus is always about availability. I feel bad for him because I know that he wants to be out there.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 05, 2024 4:02 pm

Here we go!!

https://www.nba.com/playoffs/2024

Celtics Playoffs 2024 - Page 2 Playof13

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Yesterday at 3:11 pm

Bob