cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
worcester
dboss
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

NBA Draft June 26th - 27th 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA Draft June 26th - 27th 2024

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:46 pm

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 6 hours ago
Brad Stevens said he anticipates actually using the #Celtics two draft picks (30 and 54). Stevens said trades will be difficult because of the second apron.

Bob
MY NOTE:  He might use both picks but I personally doubt it'll be #30.  I still think Brad will trade out of the 1st round UNLESS a quality big falls down to where he's close to #30, say #28 or so, and Brad could give up #30 and some 2nd rounders to get him.  That would be either Missi or Ware.  I don't think he'd go for Filipkowski.  Filipkowski's stock is falling due to his lack of athleticism and his negative wingspan (6'10 3/4" in barefeet, 6'10 1/2" wingspan).  In the NBA database there are 3 bigs with negative wingspans:  Frank Kaminsky, Kelly Olynyk and Mason Plumlee.  The only one that turned out to be a superstar is Kelly O (just kidding, Cow).  Derek Lively left Duke last year in the draft and Filipkowski had to play 5 and he got bullied, and that was by college bigs.  If he struggles with the physicality of college bigs he's going to get clubbed like a baby harp seal in the NBA paint.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA Draft June 26th - 27th 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: NBA Draft June 26th - 27th 2024

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:56 pm

With the KP situation staring the Celtics in the face along with their winning offensive preference to play 5 out, finding a stretch 5 seems like the right way to go.

No one has shorter arms than KO accept Mr. T-REX himself.  

My preferred pick would be Ware, Holmes and Filipowski in that order.  There are other options in round 2 but they are projects.

There are PFs and 3 and D wings available.

Don't be shocked if Brad trades up.  His draft assets have been the key to making trades. Now he may use some to move up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:48 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/lists/all-20-non-withdrawn-2024-nba-draft-prospects-worked-out-by-the-boston-celtics/

MY NOTE:  I bolded the centers

All 20 non-withdrawn 2024 NBA draft prospects worked out by the Boston Celtics

Syndication: Akron Beacon Journal

Justin Quinn

June 25, 2024 7:00 am ET

Fans of the Boston Celtics have been understandably distracted by the team winning its NBA-record 18th title this week, with all of the pomp and circumstance such an achievement brings with it. Reveling in the moment of the City of Boston’s Celtics 2024 NBA Championship duck boat parade, most fans of the storied ball club have not even given the looming 2024 NBA draft a moment’s thought.

And for the fans, that is more than okay. But for the Celtics’ front office, such a footing would be franchise management malpractice of the highest degree, especially considering Boston’s need for cheap supporting players with upside.

But the Celtics’ front office has indeed been hard at work working out prospects for their Nos. 30 and 54 selections.

Let’s take a look at who we know they have had workouts with, thanks to Cody Taylor of our sister site, Rookie Wire.

Pacome Dadiet, Ratiopharm Ulm

Ryan Dunn, Virginia

Jesse Edwards, West Virginia  6'11 1/2", 7'5" wingspan, 236#

Justin Edwards, Kentucky

Tristan Enaruna, Cleveland State

Trentyn Flowers, Adelaide 36ers (NBL)

Enrique Freeman, Akron

Blake Hinson, Pitt

Harrison Ingram, North Carolina

Dillon Jones, Weber State

Chris Ledlum, St. John’s

Malevy Leons, Bradley

Judah Mintz, Syracuse

Jonathan Mogbo, San Francisco

Tristen Newton, UConn

Cormac Ryan, North Carolina

Baylor Scheierman, Creighton

Armel Traore, ADA Blois Basket

Anton Watson, Gonzaga

Jaylin Williams, Auburn

Bob
MY NOTE:  They're not working out Missi or Ware.  They're either 100% comfortable with taking them if they fall (although I doubt they will) or their agents won't let them work out for a team picking at #30.  We're not working out Filipkowski, even though nbadraft.net now has him dropping out of the 1st round.  Interesting.  Filipkowski has said he has worked out for 8 teams:  Bulls (#11), Kings (#13 & #45), Jazz (#29 & #32), Thunder (#12), Blazers (#7 & #14 & #34 & #40 ) and 3 others.  NYK not one of them.  The current draft spots of those 5 teams is interesting to me.  Except for the Jazz at 29 and 32 and Portland at #34 none of the rest are likely to take Filipkowski with the picks they have.  He's not a lottery pick, and he'll be gone by Sacto's #45. This tells me they are at least considering trading down to take him, which means someone is trading up and that will change who will still be on the board for us tomorrow.

A little over 24 hours from now and the 1st round begins.  By 11PM EDT we should have an idea as to what next year's roster will look like.  If Brad doesn't draft a center then he's going to have to figure out how to retain Luke and/or Xavier.  He has Bird Rights on both of them.  He might be able to pick up a cheap replacement for one of them (e.g. 31 year old UFA Andre Drummond) but legit back up NBA centers are hard to find and, if we keep Queta, wouldn't Drummond be redundant?  Two centers who must be in the paint to be effective, but outstanding rebounders and shotblockers, neither one a shooter but Drummond is a notoriously awful frito shooter.  We need a veteran wing to replace Oshae, and probably Svi too, and we need to shore up our depth at big.  Other than that we have our top 7 locked in (they are working on Derrick's extension but he is under contract next year.  The extension is to make sure he's here after next year).  Sam is also under contract for next year, so we actually have our top 8 locked up for next year at least.  When your biggest worry is "who's your 9th man?" and last season just ended as the World Champions you're in pretty good shape.  Ring Wraiths will come calling for vet minimums.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:18 pm

dboss wrote:Here is my center wish list

1.  Kel'el Ware
2.  Kyle Filipowski
3.  DaRon Holmes

Ware is a clear favorite for me.  High level above the rim athleticism and a developing 3 point shot (has a smooth stroke)  He looks like a dominant center down the road.

Kyle is a high energy guy from a great program.  He is not great at any one thing but has all around skills and a high octane motor.  I think he has the best passing skills of these centers.

Holmes at 6' 9"  looks like a 4/5.   He has the best off the bounce ability to get to the rim.  A bit TOV prone.  he is another high energy guy.

All 3 of these centers can stretch the floor so there is upside for all of them to fit into the Celtics pace and space offense.

You are not getting Ware unless you trade up in the draft.  However if you can draft any of these 3 bigs you will have upgraded your center position.

If the Celtics really want Ware, I think they will need to move up to #21.  

Teams below the Celtics will be looking to find a wing scorer because you really cannot compete with the Celtics unless you have quality wings.

Moving up will be difficult.  The knicks have the 24th and 25th pick.  I do not see the Knicks doing anything to help the Celtics and you cannot blame them for that.

I'm thinking a trade with NOLA could work.   In any event, you are unlikely to get a quality center at #30.  Brad has draft assets to make a move up the board.  As we have seen, he is not afraid to make bold moves.  We could actually see a multi-move up the board.

Dboss have you seen Filipowski play or going by reports? I haven’t seen him play, but just read some comments that he is a terrible defender. Our culture is defense and 2 way players.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:18 pm

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 16 minutes ago
ESPN now also connecting the #Celtics to Cal wing Jaylon Tyson after previous predicting Pacome Dadiet: espn.com/nba/insider/st… Still think it's more likely than not Boston moves back from 30.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:24 pm

First round pick:

The cost of #30 averages $3.2M over 4 years.  

"Rookie scale contracts are always for two seasons, with team options for the third and fourth seasons."  [per Larry Coon #47]  

Long term cost control with full Bird rights and restricted free agency at the end.

2nd apron cost per year: $9M. (or so I've read)

Second round pick:

The cost of an early second round pick averages the vet minimum, $1M (plus change) over two guaranteed years.  

". . . since the Minimum Player Salary exception limits contracts to two seasons, it is not uncommon for teams to use a portion of their Mid-Level exception in order to sign the player for three seasons." [per Larry Coon #48]  

One of the penalties for teams over the 2nd apron is no MLE.  So, maximum 2-year contract with no path to full Bird rights for the 2nd round pick.  

2nd apron cost per year: $3M plus change (est.).

Go another route?  Sign him to a 2-way contract.  Still, little or no control after 2 seasons. (see JD Davidson)

Conclusion:

For $6M~ish difference, maybe Brad keeps (and uses) our first-round pick due to the long-term control aspect.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:32 pm

Cow,

I've seen Filipowski being compared to Kelly Olynyk. Shocked

At #30, who says no?

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:47 am

gyso wrote:Cow,

I've seen Filipowski being compared to Kelly Olynyk.   Shocked

At #30, who says no?

Me, Kelly O has never been part of a winning situation ever….

Bob Heckler likes his hair 😂😂

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:28 am

What about Eadey from Purdue? Why does he get zero love?
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:53 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
gyso wrote:Cow,

I've seen Filipowski being compared to Kelly Olynyk.   Shocked

At #30, who says no?

Me, Kelly O has never been part of a winning situation ever….

Bob Heckler likes his hair 😂😂

Cow,

Actually, if there was one thing about Kelly I did NOT like it was his man bun. I admit, however, to a perverse scientific interest in whether he played better when his hair was up or down.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:56 am

Cameron Tabatabaie @CTabatabaie
58 minutes ago
The Celtics have picks 30 + 54 in the NBA draft: Notable players to go No. 30 since 2010: Peyton Watson Santi Aldama Desmond Bane Kevin Porter Josh Hart Kevon Looney Kyle Anderson Jimmy Butler Notable players to go No. 54 since 2010: Shake Milton Alec Peters Kay Felder

Bob
MY NOTE:  To be honest I'm surprised there were 3 NBA players @ #54.  Shake Milton is a good little player off the bench.  I don't know Alec Peters, and I think Key Felder was overrated, but Shake was adequate as an energy 4th guard.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:19 am

I am not as concerned about Fili defense because you can learn how to be at least serviceable.  Plus when you are on a team of dogs your bark is bound to get louder.

I like his offensive fit (screen, pass, relocate, dribble and stretch the floor)

At just 20 he will get stronger.

Was thinking that Brad may move up because everyone says he always moved down.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:20 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/celtics-nba-draft-preview-brad-stevens-first-round-mocks/

Boston Celtics NBA Draft primer: Is this the year Brad Stevens makes a first-round pick?

By Matt Geagan

Updated on: June 26, 2024 / 8:23 AM EDT / CBS Boston

BOSTON -- Since taking over as Boston Celtics president, Brad Stevens has not made a first-round pick in the NBA Draft. That might change Wednesday night.

Stevens and the defending champion Celtics are slated to make the 30th overall pick in the first round Wednesday night. They also have the 54th overall pick in Thursday's second round. This is the first year that the NBA Draft will take place over two days -- Wednesday's action starts at 8 p.m. while Thursday tips off at 4 p.m. -- and it sounds like Stevens will be active on both evenings.

"I anticipate making a couple of picks," Stevens said when asked about his draft plans Tuesday.

Stevens could still trade out of the first round, but he's got an eye to the future heading into the 2024 NBA Draft.

Developing for the future

The cost of winning will be felt immediately in Boston, as the Celtics will be well over the salary cap in the 2024-25 season. And with the team in the second apron last season, owner Wyc Grousbeck will already have a hefty luxury tax bill to pay over the next few years.

The good news is that Boston's core -- Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, Jrue Holiday, Kristaps Porzingis, and Al Horford -- are all signed through at least next season. Tatum will get his super-max extension in a few weeks, and White could also sign a four-year extension this summer. So the band will be back together next year when the Celtics go for a repeat, and the core could be in place for several years to come.

But that will carry a massive price tag, plus all the restrictions that come with repeat luxury tax offenders. The Celtics will only be able to add free agents with the veteran minimum, as the new CBA takes the taxpayer mid-level exception away from teams in the second apron. There are also restrictions on Boston's ability to sign players who have been bought out and make more than the mid-level exception.

Stevens will have to get creative in terms of adding to this team over the next few years, which is why the draft is pretty important to Boston. Stevens' best bet will be to draft a player with a lot of upside, but will likely need some time to develop in the G League or overseas.

"There are a lot of moving parts to keeping this roster sustainable beyond this year," Stevens said Tuesday. "Specifically to this year, we have a lot of guys back. It will be hard for any draft pick to crack our rotation when healthy, so we'll think about how we can best continue to invest in young players and their development and growth, with the reality that if we're able to continue to move forward with this group, these guys will be on the court."

Stevens basically said that they'll be looking to add someone who can help the team down the road. That could mean a trade out at 30 -- since picking there will also be pricey for the team -- and a focus on two-way players in the second round.

"If the right person is available at 30, we'll take him. If there are a couple of people we think are the right person, we'll see what our options are and what kind of flexibility we have," he said. "If they come in and crack our rotation then they're really good, and that would be really good too."

Potential picks for Celtics at 30

Maybe Stevens will continue his Belichickian run of trading out of the first round on Wednesday. The Celtics roster is stacked at the top and pretty good in the middle, but they may have to plug some holes. They own a team option on Sam Hauser for $2 million, and will either pick that up or decline and try to work out a long-term deal with the sharpshooter. But if Stevens feels Hauser could become too expensive next offseason, he could pick up the option and draft a shooter for the future.

There are also needs in the frontcourt -- both now and for the future -- given Porzingis' injury history and Horford's age. Luke Kornet and Xavier Tillman are unrestricted free agents, and the Celtics have a team option on Neemias Queta. Chances are all three won't be back, so another big man wouldn't be a bad pick at number 30.

Here are some potential options for the C's with the last pick of the first round:  

Baylor Scheierman, Creighton

The 6-foot-7 swingman shot 45 percent for the Blue Jays last season, averaging 18.5 points per game. He shot 39 percent from downtown over his five-year college career.

Yves Missi, Baylor

The 20-year-old seven-footer averaged 10.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks for the Bears last season.

Pacome Dadiet, France

An 18-year-old wing, Dadiet can hit shots from all over the floor and also has some defensive upside. He's currently playing in Germany and may stay overseas for another season.

Kyle Flipowski, Duke

The seven-foot sophomore has seen players overtake him on mock draft boards, but he's coming off a strong season for the Blue Devils where he averaged 16.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks per game.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Brad Stevens has not made a first-round pick in the NBA Draft. That might change Wednesday night."  But I doubt it.

From what I understand, Scheierman could play somewhere.  Brad might draft him (I'm sticking to my guns and saying he'll trade out of the 1st round, so if he drafts Scheierman it will be with a 2nd rounder) and stick him in Maine, to ripen him up for a possible sign-and-trade with Sam later this season or next off-season.  If he drafts him #30 then he's on the payroll and occupies a roster spot regardless of where he plays (e.g. see Walsh, Jordan).  Scheierman might be a good player someday, but signing him to a 1st round NBA contract is an expensive project for a team over the 2nd apron.

Based upon what I've read Missi will not be there @ #30.  He doesn't fall that far on any mock draft I've seen. Not even close.

Dadiet might be a draft-and-stash.  IF Brad drafts him it might be with #30, but only because Brad knows he won't be on the team, and therefore won't hit our salary cap, until future years.

Filipkowski is, from what I've read, a mediocre offensive player (34.8% from 3, 67% ft%, 1.3:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.  He takes a TON of fgas, so his ppg is high, shots which he won't get in Boston) and aspires to be mediocre on defense.  I've been reading comments from Blue Devil fans who loathe his defense.  When Derek Lively left, and Filipkowski moved over to 5 and had to defend against centers and not forwards, he got pushed around a lot.  Working in his favor is that Steve Pagliuca is a Dukie, as is Tatum.  Tatum's vote might not count for much, but Pags' does.

In summary, Scheierman might be a good 2nd round pick that lives in Maine, and Missi falling to us is a pipedream.  Dadiet is a good draft-and-stash and Filipkowski is, for me, a "thanks but no thanks".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:37 am

Thought 2nd apron teams could not do sign and trades???
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:11 pm

dboss wrote:Thought 2nd apron teams could not do sign and trades???

Teams over the 1st apron cannot so s&t:

Teams cannot acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if that player keeps them above the [I added this for context: 1st] apron.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-second-apron-explained-salary-cap-team-spending/efo6htjzzmzrswoncvvlbmhi
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:15 pm

Boh

you are like an oversized winter coat on a hot summer day.  stop sweating me.   lol

We really do not know what Brad is going to do.  

I believe that he will look to add a big and he could still find one in round 2.  Maybe start them out on a 2-way deal.

The kid Ulrich Chomche could be an option.  He's raw as fresh fish but has the profile of a center that could fit our goal to have bigs who can play inside and outside.

Our Maine affiliate mirrors the style of play in Boston.  Development of young talent will help the Celtics migrate talent from the G-League and help the team to withstand more limits on trades and other transactions to improve the roster.

We could always use another wing (3andD) guy on the roster as well.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:24 pm

Savings from No. 30 pick to second-round pick signing for the rookie minimum.

$1.35 million in salary
$3.25-4.25 million in luxury tax penalties savings
Total savings: $4.6-5.6 million

The money is guaranteed for these players for at least the first year or two but at a healthy percentage less of the cost the No. 30th pick would be making. If the Celtics end up agreeing to an extension with Hauser and giving him a huge bump from his $2 million salary for this season as part of the deal, saving a good chunk of money on any rookie picks could help considerably on this front. Boston worked this situation very well last year, moving down from No. 25 to No. 37 overall to select Jordan Walsh, getting a talented prospect on the cheap along with several additional picks for their moves.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:58 pm

You know we may go into next season with KP still in a recovery mode.  

I have read recovery time in the 3-6 month range and other estimates.

4 to 7 months for MPFL reconstruction surgery.  "That timeframe  may vary and can be dependent on your individual anatomy, capacity to heal and general health prior to surgery"

A more pessimistic timeframe indicates a return to activity in a 6 month to 1 year window after reconstructive surgery.

It was clear that Brad is unsure about KP's status after surgery based on his comments in his recent interview.

The KP injury combined with AH getting ever so closer to retirement is the reason why I would like to see the Celtics add a stretch 4 or 5.   It seems that every time the Celtics, under both Ainge and Stevens, have added a player with injury history that player gets injured.  It is sort of like running through a red light and hoping you will not get T-boned.  Sooner or late you are going to get T-boned.

We need another big who can stretch the floor.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:40 pm

Another big not named Kelly O.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:44 pm

Ware gone to Indy @ 15.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:Ware gone to Indy @ 15.

His school was Indy, he was picked by the Heat.

NBA Draft June 26th - 27th 2024 - Page 3 Scree539

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:24 pm

gyso wrote:

Gyso,

I was about to make the correction. Thanks.

Well, this sucks.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:27 pm

There goes another . . .

NBA Draft June 26th - 27th 2024 - Page 3 Scree540

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:29 pm

Missi picked @ 21.

Now I'm really convinced Brad will take the Frenchman,  Didiet, with #30 or trade out of the 1st.  No player left is worth the $9M GYSO says it would cost us with luxury taxes etc this year.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Gyso,

I was about to make the correction.   Thanks.

Well, this sucks.

Bob

Well, let's hope he sucks and he went there to help them suck even more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next