gacracker
Sam
NYCelt
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Russell and Garnett Empty Russell and Garnett

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:23 pm

There are times I think it’s enjoyable to look past the X’s and O’s side of the game. It can be constructive to look past the dry mechanics of elbow position for the proper jumper or free throw.

The Celtic franchise has been referred to as a “way of life”, a concept first floated by the patriarch himself. From time to time we should explore that rich history, and perhaps see if there is indeed a continuation, a fabric, a way of life.

It occurs to me that a great example of that continuity, a passing of the baton containing the ideological Celtic way from one stalwart icon to the next, can now be found in the relationship between Bill Russell and Kevin Garnett.

Much was preserved on video and written about concerning these two during Garnett’s first year in Boston. Each piece had a seemingly recurring theme of the reverence for Russell carried by Garnett and the almost fatherly adoration for Garnett by Russell. To this day little has been said to really analyze what the common denominator is for these two. It has been easy enough to say that to Russ, KG represented the return of his beloved franchise to respectability, and indeed to championship caliber. From Garnett’s standpoint the assumption has always been a deep respect for the accomplishments of Russell. Both of these points certainly must contain a pure thread of truth; however to watch them in each others presence you somehow feel there is much more to it.

What then is the commonality? What is it that brings these two iconoclasts of the game, playing careers separated by decades, together?

The mantle they both carry of being among the greatest big men the game has known? Probably to some degree. Their common awareness of a similar place in history? Quite possibly. Their vision of each man’s game, their very skill set in the other? Likely a factor as well. How about the almost maniacal focus and approach to each aspect of the game from practice to tip-off to final buzzer and back again. The seeming endless well of intensity given to their task. They certainly have that in common.

What then? What is the deep connection that brings about such a bond under the umbrella of one team?

How about a common way of thinking, of seeing themselves as an extension of the team and the team, in turn, of them. How about this; how about leadership.

Leadership that falls specifically under the auspices of what is arguably the greatest sports franchise ever. Not many get to wear that suit.

Interestingly each is a big man brought in as what was thought to be the key piece to a puzzle. In each instance the Celtics had or had at that point secured the complimentary players. Some more than merely complimentary; names like Cousy, Heinsohn, Pierce and Allen. Still each incarnation of the team needed that centerpiece; the big man who could key the defense, block the shot, get the rebound, make the outlet pass and transition quickly to the offensive end. Russ and KG have been those key elements.

There are differences, to be sure. Most significantly the time in each career that these men stepped onto the parquet and called it home.

Each, however, has been the leader from the outside in. That is to say their approach to the game is not isolated or singular. They include others rather than dictate. Neither are the types who will attempt to put the team solely on their own back and carry it. Sure, that can work in rare instances. There have been the Jordanesque types; and I for one will wager that we will not long from now see LeBron James carry his team to a banner with an arguably thin supporting cast. But a single star carrying the major burden all the way to the title ceremony doesn’t often happen more than once in a row.

What Russell did and KG does is to try and understand the strengths of each of their teammates, and fit their own complimentary strengths into the play of the team to complete the picture. They try and help the team by using their skills to allow teammates to flourish. Is either one the player you want taking the final shot with time winding down? Arguably not. In the current Celtics edition that would be Paul Pierce or Ray Allen. But who is it that you want defending your goal and getting the gunners into position to succeed? Few have ever filled that slot better than Russell or Garnett.

The outward display of leadership in these gentlemen has been slightly different. Both, however, lead by creating opportunities for teammates to each in turn lend their particular strength to the total sum of the group. Bill Russell came to a team on a roll at midseason and helped them continue on to a championship. He showed great deference toward the established players he would take minutes from and became more vocal as those initial seasons progressed. Kevin Garnett arrived in a summer of change but refused to be seen as the leader. He deferred to Paul Pierce, the long suffering face of the franchise and insisted on including newly acquired All-Star Ray Allen along with he and Pierce whenever stepping out into the public eye. Vocal to the point of being deafening? Yes. Still KG has always first pointed to someone in another jersey as the team’s captain.

Both Bill Russell and Kevin Garnett will occupy hallowed pedestals in halls reflecting for posterity on the greatest their sport has seen. A team is what they prefer to discuss as their common legacy.

It is their leadership style, their mutual intelligence as men and in fostering and keeping a sense of team that may be what allows them to share a sense of reverence for one another.

It will certainly be what allows them to be viewed together, through careers separated by decades, as two of the greatest team players and champions. Two who will forever be seen as representative of what marks one team, one franchise, as a “way of life” that transcends the sport itself.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Russell and Garnett Empty Re: Russell and Garnett

Post by Sam Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 am

NYCelt,

Lord, that's profoundly thought out and beautifully written...a true testament to what makes the Celtics tradition unique. Leadership is indeed that essence that bridges the decades between Russ and KG.

In a sense, it is not the fact of the leadership that characterizes this singularity as much as the type of leadership. You mentioned Michael and Lebron, and a wide range of players from Magic to Willis Reed could also be included in the pantheon of outstanding leaders.

But it is the nature of their leadership that most binds Russ and KG. More so than all the others, their unmatched brand of leadership stems from their mental and emotional approach to the game and to life itself. Each has gone against the typical grain and has marched to his own drum. And, for each, that drum beat(s) with intensity unmatched by other players in his time.

Kevin's intensity is highly demonstrative, like a roaring inferno. Russ' intensity was like a silent, seething, smoldering volcano. Yet the enduring link in their inner fires goes way beyond the triviality of confidence. They unequivocally expect(ed) to win the truly big ones. Their utter insistence on victory would render any other outcome tantamount to an incomprehensible clerical error in their minds.

As we approach the 2009-10 season, Celtics Nation is blessed to have experienced these two icons as cornerstones of this proud franchise...and to have had their intensity reflected throughout the years in other leaders named Cowens and Bird.

GO CELTICS!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks Sam.

I sometimes get a moment of clarity from some inspiration passing within my conscious thoughts and have the opportunity to write them down.

I can do a better diatribe on why I like ice cream.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:52 pm

That was brilliant and nothing less, NYCelt. The young fellow under that Red Sox cap doesn't know how generous the gene pool has been to him.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Again Sam, thanks.

However since you know the players involved we both know my son gets the smarts and the looks from mom.

I'm just happy to be heading out for dinner and a beer. The simple things!

I will report back on the flavor of choice at the ice cream shop afterwards!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:59 am

I marvel at KG's unbridled intensity and will always remember TommyG remarking that KG "burns so very bright" when he was stomping around the court, tugging/stretching at the top of his jersey after a great defensive stop and pointing at something about the uniform.

I thought I was witnessing a psychotic break of some sort as KG seemed to be trying to rip his jersey top off or climb out of his uniform.

I was profoundly moved by the gesture but didn't know at all the language or the message until someone the next day happened to mention that KG was of course pointing to the team name on the front of the jersey. WE ARE A TEAM!!!

He was exploding with team pride, much like I do and have frequently done when watching the C's play great team ball going back to the Russell era... yet someone had to translate for this viewer what was going on. I had never seen such a raw, spontaneous gesture before. YES WE ARE A TEAM!!!

I am sure that Russ burned with that same intensity...and still does. His record speaks for itself.

And no doubt, KG is speaking for Russ and about Russ consciously and unconsciously when he tugs at that uniform and points to the Celtic name on the front... and Russ could not be more proud of what that gesture represents.

Nor could I.

Nor could every Cetic fan living or dead whose sense of teamwork KG perfectly channels when he explodes with pride and tears at his jersey.

TEAM!!!

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:34 am

NYCelt, your comments are well written, heartfelt, and, very meaningful. Once in awhile I think that the real meaning of Celtic Pride has been lost until I read comments like yours. The great thing about the true Celtic success was that they not only won when they were supposed to win, but also used the "team spirit" to win when no one outside of Boston gave them a chance.

I remember reading the same kind of comments we find posted by the "angry Celtic haters" on BDC as a young kid in the 60's. Then, as we found with the unforgettable balloon game, the Celtics' commitment to Celtics' Pride, would always lead the team to the top. Some of us still talk about the balloon game, and some of the "haters" want to bury that success with ignorance about the value that history brings to our civilization, however what better lesson for anyone, including young children, how the "impossible" becomes the "possible" with some faith and commitment in believing in oneself and adopting the “team” concept over the "I" or "me". Who cares how long it has taken, or will continue to take, the accomplishments of the Boston Celtics will never be matched.

With respect to your comparison between Russ and KG, I appreciate the praise of KG and do believe that he is one of the all time great NBA big men. However, Russ, Cousy, Hondo, Sam, Jo Jo, Satch, Tommy, and even Larry, to name a few, would prefer to be remembered as a great Celtic before being remembered as a great NBA player. Maybe it’s free agency, as we saw with Manny playing for the Dodgers against Pedro who is playing for the Phillies, or Damon and Teixeira’s “Yankee comments” after deserting their previous so-called loyalties, but there are select few that actually "get it" when it comes to what loyalty and pride can do for excellence in sports, not to mention what it can do for individual careers and family lives for that matter. Time will tell about whether KG and Paul Pierce have accepted the Celtics’ family philosophy. On the other hand, there will be question as to their status as two of the best ever in the NBA.

The time and effort you offered with your write-up definitely deserves a response. Thanks for the reminder that the true Celtics' meaning was not yet lost on the world.

David

Last edited by David14 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar corrections)
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:00 am

David,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I especially want to address your thoughts on the value of the team concept to young children.

I see it already in my 5-year old. He's playing baseball and soccer (both indoor right now, thankfully) and is in kindergarten. We parents and the coaches are working as much on lessons about the power of the team as on individual skills. It's amazing to see that carry over to the classroom and individual relationships as these kids help others, and in turn get help themselves.

You're right, and I've seen the proof, that the team concepts and history learned from a place as unique as a basketball franchise have farther reaching applications.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:04 am

Cracker,

You point out one major truth about KG's intensity level; if you're sitting up and breathing it's contagious.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:11 am

David

I think a lot of us on here feel exactly the same. From those of us that have fleeting memories of the Russell years to the new-bees that only look at black and white grainy film from those bygone years.

My reason for joining Sam's site was twofold, to relive cherish and define the past while anticipating the future.
Yeah it was a long drought, too long. But now we are back at or near the top for the third year in a row. I remember watching the total dominance of the Bird era and thinking no way this can last. Hopefully this era of KG can transition without the “gap” that makes us irrelevant again for a number of seasons. At the very least we have a very recent championship to celebrate and a contender for now.

The impressive thing about KG is the total commitment. Nothing short of his best effort is expected by him and so he will expect that in turn from others. I just can’t see Sheed putting in a ¾ effort and KG accepting it. Will he get in Sheeds face like BB? No but I willing to bet he will behind closed doors.

I think we will see this season defined very early.
I just don’t see anyone beating us except the nights that we beat ourselves.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:30 am

Beat, I agree. KG is probably one of the most committed "competitors" that ever played the game. This year's team, without question, offers more hope then the 2008 team since the bench is more balanced and experienced. KG may try to "temper" his "push" on Sheed in the early stages, however my bet is that his natural instincts will take over. I think KG and Sheed will have many "one on ones" if there are any "team" or "effort" issues.

I know I am not alone, but, given the garbage coming out of LA with last year's win (ouch), #18 this year has very special meaning. It reminds me of how we felt back in the 60's, part of the 70's, and for sure in the 80's when the C's championship became very personal.

I like your view on Sam's site, "cherishing and defining the past while anticipating the future" is certainly exciting for me as well. Just for the record, I really appreciate the respect and unity that you guys have created between each other. The unity should be infectious and help the site grow. I really do thank all of you for allowing me to be part of the team.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by David14 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add a comment)
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:59 am

David

No doubt Sam has had a profound influence on an already 100% Celtic fan. When I first joined BDC he was one of the first to welcome me aboard. As I met more "regulars" it became my second home. Finally when the idea of a playoff party in Boston came up I wondered if i should attend. My wife thought I was nuts and perhaps I was, but sometimes you just gotta go with your heart and my heart told me NOT to pass this by. So I hooked up with NYCelt enroute (thank goodness he drove) and with my second hand with me (Marcus my son) off to beantown we went. If I tried to mention all that were at the party I'm sure I'd miss someone. So there we were, 12-15 of us talking Celtics, on the phone overseas with other Celtic fans and unfortunately watching the Celtics lose to Atlanta!! ( the only setback of the evening).

The following summer my daughter visited Boston for college (pharmacy) (she has since been accepted and is currently at Albany Pharmacy School). Sam made reservations for lunch in downtown Boston and my family of 4 got to met him. What a nice resturaunt he picked out. And when it got time to leave .........the man picked up the check.

He has been very supportive in ways with his thoughts and kind words when times have gotten a bit tough. When the word went out about a get together in Boston this past summer there was no doubt Marcus and I would be there.

Another great time sharing the ride and room with Bobc33 this time. By the way if you ever go to the harbor area of Boston take him as your tour guide, Bob has worked in virtually every building there, he pointed them all out to us.

(guess the guy really had a hard time holding down a steady job) LOL

This second party brought even more faces to names on BDC so now when I speak to them It makes it so much more meaningful.

To come here and not see the last post of various threads with a trolls name attached is fantastic. This is what a Celtic site should be. Yeah, we can be critical of Doc and some things management should do, but beyond the minor disagreements I'm sure in the end we will just agree to disagree and time will be allowed to determine if one or the other was right.

This is going to be a great season made even better by sharing it here with friends.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks Beat. I won't miss a minute of the upcoming season (DVR technology is great), and I will look forward into reading and commenting on the guys and girls that have the best insights.

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:22 pm

As the Celtics were about to make the trade of Al Jefferson, et al, for Kevin Garnett, my thoughts started to turn to what this could mean for the Celtics.
I loved Al, however, I knew he would never be the leader that this team needed to move in the direction of a World Championship. My son is a huge
Kevin Garnett fan. We sat on the computer all day waiting for the trade to come to fruition. When it was finally made, I started to think of the future, the next season to come. Just what will happen with this team.

As anyone who has read my posts on "the other site", I am a huge Ray
Allen fan. His presence excited me also. Then we saw the three of them
together on the stage that first night. It was obvious that they were excited about joining each other in a quest for a title. The sense of excitement was in the air all over the Garden and outside with fans.

I watched Kevin and thoughts came rolling back to Russ. He, too, hated to
be interviewed. He was a man of few words, letting his playing do his talking for him. With Russell, it was Red who could get him going. They
truly loved one another. Now Russell is paying it forward, embracing the
energetic Garnett and honoring him time after time. Their likenesses are
so obvious. Russ is a little more talkative today in his later years, but he
has done nothing but letting the world know how he feels about his fellow
Celtic. As he said in his interview, Kevin finally got it right, he has the right uniform on now and he is one number away from Russ. I feel that Garnett
has formed a bond with Doc, maybe not as strong as Russ and Red, but
I believe he truly is thankful that Doc is his coach.

NY Celt, your post was just wonderful. It forces people like me to think back to the days when "winning wasn't everything, it was the only thing", according to Red. That is the way I feel about this team. I want them to win every game. Red, Russ, Garnett. All the same, believe it or not.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm

My introduction to the Celtics was the triple overtime game against the Suns. So I never got to see Russ play. I did see Cowens and jojo and was able to see all of Bird and those breathtaking 80's teams. I hated the Lakers then but now look back on the Magic teams with great respect. To me the Celtics represented that stark unity of purpose and willingness to grow and sacrifice. No flash no dash just be busy all summer WORKING and come back from summer with something new that will help your team. The extra pass was a given. The pain from taking a charge or diving for a loose ball not a factor. I remember Larry and Magic (and hence all their teammates) would come back from summer with a new skill. One that worked during games. A skill that could HURT the other team.

Plus those squads really and in fact hated each other.

That s why it is so strange for me in terms of what is happening now. The Lakers are the same tinhorn flashy bunch they always were. Their fans the same fairweather geeks as always. They are the same. They PLAY a lot alike. And this new bunch of Celtics with 3 hall of famers and all of their experience are all celtics. They PLAY LIKE CELTICS. It gives me chills. They all bought in. The fans in Boston are the same as they were the very very best ( I grew up in tennessee) in terms of hoop knowledge and history. It's like the whole thing just WOKE up again with a different cast. I did'nt ever really expect to see this again in my lifetime with all the horrible luck the Celts have had. It is such a gift. I am so grateful. I guess those of you on this board who saw the Celts of Russ play the Laker of west yall must have felt this way in the 80's and it must give this whole new incarnation some extra juice. What a great thing!

I get the sense that most of the Celts on this squad have been working all summer. I honestly cant wait.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Jeb

None of us can.
And it won't be long now!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:40 pm

NYCelt

Thanks. It's well-written and a joy to read. I've developed this saying since I started writing about the Celtics. It took a mere 40 years to figure it out. 'You're only as good as your material.' You chose your subject matter wisely.

In an interview back in 1999, Russ was asked about his favorite players who were playing at that time. He only singled out one forward - guess who? He said the thing he liked the most about KG was his "enthusiasm" for the game.

Since we're comparing the two, how about this? After Russ's first championship in his first season with the team, he got hurt and didn't lead them to the title in his second year. Then he/they won eight straight.

Too much to hope for, and yet . . .

Last edited by tyroneshoelaces on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Spike

To get to eight. You gotta start at 1.

Right now I want 1!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 pm

NYCelt, I'm so glad you are applying the heart of the Celtics Pride philosophy to your son. I firmly believe that my life and my approach to life was shaped by believing in what Red and the organization preached to the community. Our "group" could have ended up on either side of the tracks. However, those of us that decided to become Celtics followers have done very well in our lives.

I became a better athlete in school in school and community sports leagues and was fortunate enough to be selected on some teams based simply on my "team first" approach. I also applied that philosophy throughout my schooling, through networking with family and friends, and subsequently in my "too many" years of executive life.

Like you, I carried the message to my own kids and have been amazed as to the extent of the network of friends they have developed, the success they had in sports where they were chosen for teams they did not believe they could make, and then with some great success and following they have establshed in their own careers. I smile when I hear them explain to their own kids (our grandkids) such things that "scoring soccer goals" is secondary to the team success, and to the extent that they and their teammate freinds enjoyed playing the game. My kids were fortunate enough to meet some of the Celtics players who "preached" the unselfish approach to sprorts and to life themselves. DJ actually "adopted" my youngest as his "good luck charm". Obviously, they became "huge" Celtic fans.

Good to hear the success you are having with your son. Those lessons and beliefs will go along way with his future success in all aspects of life.

Thanks for the response, and for your intial posting of the subject matter.

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:34 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:..."winning wasn't everything, it was the only thing", according to Red. That is the way I feel about this team. I want them to win every game. Red, Russ, Garnett. All the same, believe it or not.

Rosalie,

Thanks. I have a couple of questions for you.

Red, having started the idea that the Celtics were more than a basketball team, was the patriarch up until his passing.

Do you think that patriarchal role is an important role for this franchise to have?

It's something unique that not a lot of sports franchises really have. You might point to an Al Davis with the NFL Raiders or a George Steinbrenner, but it seems if either have occupied that role they've done so in a dysfunctional manner.

Also; If there is a new patriarch is it Russell, Tommy or possibly Hondo?

I'm interested in your opinion.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Jeb,

What an introduction you had! That amazing triple-overtime game. I wonder if the next few years didn't feel a bit anticlimactic for you.

When you think about it, this team has had four distinct life renewals. When I began as a fan in 1950, they had a Big Three of Cousy, Sharman and MacAuley, but we fans became used to their being also-ran lifers. Renewal number 1: Russell (and you can't leave out Rookie of the Year Heinsohn's advent at the same time). All of that turned out quite well, to say the least.

Then Russell broke the Lakers' balloons, and the team's fortunes plummeted again. But I remember being at the Celtics' practice on the day that Cowens arrived. The team scrimmaged. Cow knocked over everything in sight, including a few teammates, and onlookers just were agape. And there was Red, smiling like a cheshire cat. Renewal number 2, and enter Jeb.

Then Mr. Phyllis George, Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe conspired to put the Celts in another tailspin, which saw the ignominious exit of John Havlicek, wo deserved so much more. But Red made THE JUNIOR-ELIGIBLE SIGNING and THE TRADE and here came Renewal number 3. Another extended one.

The end of that era was caused by a combination of bad health breaks, the Celtics' family loyalty (laudable refusal to trade Larry and Kevin), deaths, and the gradual fade of The Godfather. A serious drought was inevitable. But the "New Redhead" named Ainge emulated his opportunistic mentor and catapulted the Celtics into Renewal number 4. And here we are.

You may consider yourself a relative newbie. But, when you really think about it, you've been around for three of the four Celtics life renewals. Enjoy every second of it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Rosalie, welcome to the forum. This is really shaping up as a wonderful group of people. Dare I say it's sort of cookin' already?

I know how much those past years meant to you, and you really experienced them personally. You may have gone to more Celtics games than anyone else on this board.

Anyway, it's great to see you here.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:32 pm

NY Celt--It is an interesting question that you ask. The only people associated with present Celtics team who had real team contact with Red were Ainge and Pierce. Paul Pierce tells the story of how when he came to the Celtics first practice Red called him over and gave him advice. They formed a real relationship, and it still shows whenever PP talks about Red.. Ainge, of course, has Red to thank for his basketball career. It was Red who talked him into leaving baseball and joining the Celtics.
The owners were wonderful to Red when they took over and reinstated him as the President of the team. When Gaston owned the team and hired Pitino, he insisted on having the title attached to his name. In Russell's book he tells how hurt Red was about this. The new owners showed real
class and a knowledge of how important Red was to the image of the Boston Celtics.

Whenever there is something going on with the team, do you notice how many former players return to the Garden to help celebrate with their Team.
As Russ says, the Celtics are a way of life and it shows. Not having Red here does not diminish the importance of TEAM. He layed the groundwork
in his years here, and it has gone on. Is there someone to take his place?
I dare say NO. Tommy Heinsohn is the most devoted former player around the team. He will be here until he cannot talk any more. But, he will never
take Red's place. Russ has shown that he will always stay involved in some
way with the team, but he is not ready to take that kind of a step, and as far as Havlicek, he is still around often, but has other things in his life. I would, however, love to see him more involved. He is, besides Russell, my
favorite Celtic of all time.

So your question is interesting, and my only answer is that as long as the former players stay involved, this will always be "Red's" team. He certainly
laid the ground work for a wonderful organization. Look at how many long
time fans are still with the team. Me? I have been here since the 60's.
I have seen some of the greatest games. I have never wavered in my loyalty to the Celtics.

It is great to have others who feel so strongly about this team.

PS-JEB--I was in the second balcony in section 127 as John Havlicek hit that runner to put the game into overtime. You certainly had a wonderful introduction to the Boston Celtics. That was probably the greatest game I
ever saw (And, I have seen many). I love it!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Rosalie and NYCelt,

I've always had a philosophy that a person is never really dead until there's at least one person (s)he touched still around. And that's the way I view Red's influence today.

I don't necessarily think the owners run the team the way he would have. (Can you say, "Dancing girls?") I think Danny has his own style and, while being an opportunist as red was, I expect he does not use Red as a model.

But where Red comes into play are, on one hand subtle, and on the other hand profound. Red never shrank from a challenge. He operated from strong conviction and seldom wavered in that respect. He could be cold and calculating, but he had an innate respect for the human condition. He was relentless in the pursuit of excellence. He had vast analytical powers and even better instincts. His sense of family was second to none. He valued loyalty tremendously, and the only times he deviated from being loyal was when he felt he had been double-crossed. And, for Red, it was (my favorite saying) all about the team.

All of these traits have been woven by time into the fabric of Celtics tradition. That is Red's enduring legacy, and it permeates the team and embraces all of us today. Our personal lives are influenced by it. We impart it to our kids. And, when it comes our time to join Red, we'll have been better people for the experience.

Heinsohn is the ambassador...the Johnny Pesky of the Celtics. Ainge is Trader Joe. Havlicek is the Celtics' logo. Russell is Zeus. Cousy is...well... Cousy is mine; you can't have him. They're all great role players in the pantheon of the Celtics. But there is only one Godfather.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Rosalie and Sam,

So to draw on an analogy from the movies, you both seem to feel that there is no new Godfather. No Michael Corleone is really needed to take the place of Don Vito.

Rather it's a collection of descendants each playing their own role to keep the family going.

I get it, and it seems appropriate.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next