Garnett story

4 posters

Go down

Garnett story Empty Garnett story

Post by steve3344 Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Part of Mitch Lawrence's hoops column in today's NY Daily News...

KEVIN SENT

The day the Minnesota Timberwolves went to see a high schooler named Kevin Garnett in his pre-draft workout in 1995, the team decided to let it leak out to the other general managers in attendance that it was definitely going to take Garnett with the fifth pick, even though that was never its true intention.

“We figured that by saying that, somebody who was picking above us would take him, and then we’d be able to get one of the four other guys, who we thought were the top players,” recalled Flip Saunders, then working in the front office with Minnesota GM Kevin McHale. “Plus, our coach at the time, Bill Blair, didn’t want to take a high school kid. He wanted to win.”

This was before Kobe Bryant, in a time when NBA teams were loathe to take a player who didn’t play at least two seasons of college ball. So that was the T-Wolves’ plan. They wanted either Maryland’s Joe Smith, Alabama’s Antonio McDyess or North Carolina’s Jerry Stackhouse or Rasheed Wallace, projected to go in the top four. Then Saunders and McHale went to Garnett’s workout and witnessed a 7-1 freak of nature.

“He was doing these double-jumps — putting his hand several inches above the box on the backboard, coming down, and then going right back up and doing it again,’ Saunders said. “Kevin and I were blown away. Once we saw him, we were like, ‘We better hope this guy is still around at No. 5.’ We figured there was no way he’d last that long.”

But the four collegians were taken ahead of Garnett, so Minnesota had its foundation player for the next 12 seasons. Still close to Garnett, Saunders laughed when he told that story the other day in Miami, where he accompanied the Celtics as an adviser to Doc Rivers. Saunders not only takes notes on the Heat, he recommends strategy on what to do against LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Rivers also asks him for a game-by-game assessment of the Celtics, including their veteran center who turned 36 last month and is a free agent at season’s end.

Even if the Celtics don’t reach the Finals, they intend to re-sign Garnett, as long as they don’t have to break the bank to keep him.

“The only way Kevin won’t play next season is if he says, ‘All the preparation that it takes me to be this good is just too much,’” said Saunders, who was fired by the Wizards this past season. “But I don’t see that happening. I think he will continue to play because he sees that he still is an impact player. When he doesn’t think he can make an impact, that’s when he’ll get out.”

Probably after two more seasons.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/steve-nash-bolts-phoenix-suns-a-push-deron-williams-article-1.1088841#ixzz1wfbiGoy5

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Garnett story Empty Re: Garnett story

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Great read Steve, I think KG has 2 more years at close to this level, especially on defense, I'm amazed how good/fierce he has been defensively even without Perk, what a freak, outrunning younger players down the floor. He's actually much better all around than 2010, he might be getting stronger.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Sort of reminds me of the time Red saw Dave Cowens for the first time. Wasn't real sure about drafting him till he saw him. Remember Florida State was on probation and could not play in the NCAA's that season. And FS was not allowed to be on national TV at that time either so Big Red did not have a lot of exposure.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:40 pm

beat would you still take Love or Griffen on this team over KG right now?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:08 am

Cow

Now is not the next 10 years!

Go back and read my posts..... for a game or a series NOW no. But for next year and beyond i'd take either the others simply do to age.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am

beat

Those 2 young guys ended the season banged up and in worse shape than KG, and Love plays defense almost as bad or equal to David Lee thats why he couldn't play with Big Al, all his big games are against the junk of the league. Griffen avg around 5 rebounds per in his last playoff series, got ripped by Barkley.....theres no guarentee these puppies will take you anywhere, even at 36 KG can destroy either one. I'd rather have a 2-3 year window now with KG than the unknown with 2 undurable kids with alot of flaws as championships are hard to come by. With the draft coming up and getting AB and Jeff Green back next year, we could be so close. Surprised thought a HoFer like yourself knew better.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:35 am

Cow

Not budging Cow, I'd take either for next year and beyond. If an even up swap was offered but it will never happen.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:09 am

beat you would weaken us, bad move, were still contenders for the next 2 years with KG and with the draft coming up and better health we'll be even better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 am

Cow

Weaken us?? Now that is truly debateable.

Gaining 10 years of service.

Sorry you ask 100 basketball fans if they swap KG for either even up for NEXT year and beyond and I think the vast majority would take it.

I know I would. 2 years??? questionable at best.

Again let it go cause no way I'm budging on this.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 am

We go from having a great chance in the next 2 years to no chance as these young guys can't even stay healthy themselves and don't have near the impact of KG on both ends......did you see how meekly Griffen ended the playoffs? Love even admitted hes no match for KG. KG can still play 2 positions at this level, these guys would get eaten up as a 5. Did you see how many plays KG made on defense last night and has this whole run? put Love in his place, we give up easily over a 100 each game and are sent packing 2 rounds ago.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 am

Cow

I'm done witht he debate

You will never change my mnd

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:44 am

glad you agree with my points

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:47 am

Cow

????????????

beat!

No way bud no way!
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 am

Cow & Beat:

I would trade KG for Durant, Ibaka & Hardin throwing in the rights to Rasheed Wallace & Stephon Marbury & Mikki Moore but that's as far as I'd go. (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down