Sam
NYCelt
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Russell and Garnett - Page 2 Empty Re: Russell and Garnett

Post by jeb Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Rosalie

I watched it in the den in my house in east Tennessee with my pops. I was only about 12 or so. But shortly after that I picked up a ball and started dribbling and basketball became a huge thing in my life from then on in. I remember Alvin Adams seemed like a giant. My pop was pullin for the Suns hard but something about the Celts grabbed me. I been hooked ever since.

How good was Cowens? Where does he rate amongst the Celts and all of his peers?

Cant believe you were there.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:52 pm

NYCelt wrote

"Each, however, has been the leader from the outside in. That is to say their approach to the game is not isolated or singular. They include others rather than dictate. Neither are the types who will attempt to put the team solely on their own back and carry it. "

Regarding the above, particularly the descriptive phrase, a "leader from the outside in," I just wanted to say, 'Wow!'

There are different layers of leadership on a basketball team, owner, general manager, head coach, captain, and the newly minted, leader from the outside in.

The phrase certainly suits Russ and KG. Until Cooz retired in '63, no one else could have been captain of that team; so Russ filled the role of 'outside' captain. Now it's KG in the same role.

But outside-in leadership doesn't even mean you have to be a captain. A guy like KC Jones is the perfect example (he was Russ's team captain at USF, fittingly enough). Every player on that Cousy-Russell team was a leader.

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Regarding leadership of championship teams, Red seemed to think that enlightened ownership was crucial. Walter Brown famously gave him free reign from the start, since Walter was a hockey guy and knew nothing about basketball. Red proceeded to mystify Walter even before he signed his first contract, when he chose Charles Share over Cousy in the 1950 draft. Later, of course, Red gave Walter plenty of reasons to feel good about signing him.

Leave it to Red to manage to put together a winning team even without enlightened ownership. With a core of a champion left over from the Sixties, he needed only the key addition of a bust-ass center to replace Russ in the Seventies.

For the Larry Bird era, the key ownership interlude was Harry Mangurian, who wrenched the team out of the foolish hands of Mr. Phyllis George, after Red's ultimatum.

Current ownership is right up there, happy to say.

This is not to say that giving the GM a dictatorship is the appropriate model. It's choosing the right GM.

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I guess the best way to put it is Red is irreplaceable. Each man that has followed him has had his own style. Different eras, different styles. They all
hold a place in Celtic lore.

As far as Cowens is concerned, no one played the game with more fight and fire than Cowens. He was a different breed. When he left the Celtics we saw him around for a while. He was a great part of the New England Sports Museum. I believe he dabbled in politics for a short time. Then moved on. We rarely see him as he is now coaching with the Pistons. One
wonders if he has harbored any ill will toward the Celtics for not being considered for any coaching jobs. But, I will say, he was one heck of a ball player, a shock to the league when Red drafted him. They never believed he would play center, but he fooled them all. He was a joy to watch because of his love of the game. He played with such fire that it almost burned him out at one point and he left the team for a short time. But better heads prevailed and he returned to lead his team. His is the kind of story that makes the Celtics history so interesting.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Dave would try anything...on the court or off it.

He was once a player-coach for the Celtics (for a short time)

His telephone number was always listed.

He drove a taxi for a while in Boston.

After winning a championship, he slept on a park bench in th Boston Public Garden or the Boston Common (I can'te recall which).

Dsm
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Spike/Tyrone,

A little break in the middle of the 5th as the Angels tie it up.

"Outside-in" leadership is actually a concept that comes from Russ himself!

I first read about it in "Russell Rules", which is still a book I suggest to anyone in a position of leadership with any form of enterprise. In my opinion, without exaggeration or fawning because it was written by a Celtic, "Russell Rules" may be among the most useful business books ever written.

There are several lessons from that book that I've been able to apply and make a part of my practice. I often credit that book for reminding me to do what I do best, and trust others to take care of areas they can do better. I've taken it to the extent that some have commented that it appears my assistant manages me, which she does. Thanks in part to Russell's book, I just know when to go back to my own office, or leave entirely and stay out of the way!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:35 am

NY Celt
How you doing and greetings to Sam,beat and bobc33,wasn't gonna start posting again until season started,but seeing this great thread started by Deano,didn't know you had that writing ability in you,had to give my regards and glad theres still fans out there that know of Cowens contributions to this franchise.He was definitely in Russell and Garnetts class as a take no prisoners defender and rebounder,pound for pound he was the franchises most physical defender,not the greatest shotblocker,but would wear anyone out with his relentlessness and physical play.He and Garnett are the two best big man defenders I've ever seen on the perimeter that could chase you out that far and cover the whole floor.
Kind of pissed at the Globe for suspending me,I can fight my own battles against any trolls,I had close to 5000 posts,but don't suspend me for putting them in their place and they're still there and I'm still on suspended?Somethings not right with that,so here I am,be seeing you guys.
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:48 am

Cowens,

Great to see you here!

I hope you are well and enjoying life down in your part of the world.

I also sent a private message to you when I saw your name pop up. Check along the line a couple of inches below the top of the form.

Watching this wild Yanks vs. Angels game at the moment.

I'm thinking it's going to be a fun season.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NickFaldo Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 am

You guys are gonna be more pumped and jacked than Pete Carroll when you start utilizing all the features, from embedding videos to inserting images.

Kevin Garnett and Bill Russell Interview

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:24 am

Nick

Being more pumped than during these first couple of days on the board could be life-threatening.

One reinforcement I'm getting from the experience of this site is how we're all bound together by our Celtics fandom...and it brings out the best in all of us. This is the way it used to feel on BDC. I assume that same feeling is pervading Dslack's board.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Russell and Garnett - Page 2 Empty Sunday Morning Ramble

Post by gacracker Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:29 am

Sam wrote:Nick

Being more pumped than during these first couple of days on the board could be life-threatening.

One reinforcement I'm getting from the experience of this site is how we're all bound together by our Celtics fandom...and it brings out the best in all of us. This is the way it used to feel on BDC. I assume that same feeling is pervading Dslack's board.

Sam

I keep going back to BDC to lurk. I guess it's my fascination watching rigor mortis start to set in. Using another metaphor, leaving there and coming here feels like I unlocked the door myself and let myself out of jail. I can even read troll posts and laugh now.

Sam is really taking some troll heat for violating BDC rules (trolling no less, getting banned no less)and then taking advantage of folks by charging them $25 for something they get for free at BDC! Trolls are lamenting the demise of BDC and not understanding why it had to happen. LMAOROFL!!! (Can't we just take individual responsibility for ourselves and get along???)

It wasn't funny a few days ago at all when the ship was sinking (another metaphor) and I had nowhere to go.

I missed the heyday of BDC. Must have been heady times. But these are heady time!

I haven't visited dslack's board and may very well not. I want to keep things simple.

My dad refused to try Breyers I/C when he was alive. Simple man. He was happy with plain old Sealtest I/C. Tasted good. Inexpensive. Nothing fancy.

You know he might have really liked Breyers. Probably would have. Never did. Sealtest's Rocky Road was good enough for him. Why complicate life?

Apples rarely fall far from the tree. Wink

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:48 am

GC,

So are you saying we're plain vanilla? LOL.

As for taking the heat at BDC, I guess I got out of the kitchen just in time, hun?

The one thing I envy about Dslack's site is that they've got their calendar working and have posted the Celtics schedule on it. That's something I've been wanting to do on our calendar for at least a week, but I just can't figure it out. Every time I try to post on a given date, it makes a new thread out of he post, so I delete it.

A calendar would be great not only to display the Celts schedule but also to remind people about parties, times of upcoming interviews, deadlines for our contests, etc.

Maybe there's a calendar expert on the board who can help.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Sam.... I'm not a calendar expert but I am curious. You want to do this by PM? I'll be glad to take a look.

I am about as useful as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest but...... who knows?

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:27 pm

gacracker

My personal fave is been busier than a one legged man at a snaked stomp.

I also like Squirming like a worm in hot ashes ...and that car "runs like a scalded dog."

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:31 pm

GC,

I'll watch the message board.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickFaldo Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Sam wrote:Nick

Sam

BDC forgot who was buttering their bread. Dottie was saying one thing in the Ask BDC thread, yet that wasn't being applied in the Celtic's forum. I don't think we had the numbers like Red Sox Nation to overcome the few trolls gutting up the Celtic's forum, but I agree with you there is a bond we all share despite any political or world view differences. We each seem to truly understand the concept of Celtic tradition and teamwork. I started following them as a very young kid during the last Tommy Point coached finals. Then I got into watching every game the next years when they became dreadful. But I didn't mind. I got into watching hoops as a pure sport. The running. The passing. All that stuff. I started shooting hoops in backyards. Then I witnessed firsthand the brilliance of Red Auerbach. The Robey for DJ trade. Drafting Bird a year before he could play. Getting Ainge. Making that Joe Barry Carroll trade for McHale and the Chief. From then on, the Celtics were my reprieve from the lovable losers known as the Red Sox.

The only thing that kept me sane as a young sports fans experiencing the horror of continual Red Sox choke jobs was the fact that the Celtics had fully dominated the league. I remember keeping track of the percentage of titles won by the C's during the Bird years. The Lakers have surely been impressive getting to the finals half the time, albeit the results have been the epitome of mediocrity. The C's had won around 40% of all titles. I can only imagine what the stat was at the pinnacle of the 60's.

I wish I'd been around for those years. I got to see a bit of it on ESPN Classic, but now my cable company has taken that away. On a related but off-topic note, I loved watching anything and everything on Ali. I'll wrap this up by saying it's now halftime for the Patriots. It's 45-0 Pats.

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Nick,

You really need to be on our game-on thread this coming Tuesday. It could solve your concerns about paying to stay on this board. All you have to do is come closest to the final combined scores of the two teams that evening, and you win a free year's subscription to this site.

Today's contest was won by a native Swede who's studying in Estonia. How cool is that? And he was watching the game in Estonia and has combined with GYSO to offer expertise to our board members as to how to watch the game if it doesn't seem possible. How cool is that?

Looks like the Pats are about to score in Hoyer's first official stint on the field. I heard a rumor that they're going to make the Pats turn around and play the rest of the game backwards.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:47 pm

P.S. to Nick.

You know those Minutemen who fire their rifles each time the Patriots score?

I heard they just ran out of ammunition.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Brady is tearing it up.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Swede

If you are one of the big brains that let me watch Celts on my computer today

a big hearty thanks. Just pressed a button and boom.

cheers.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:34 pm

I dunno what linked you followed but yeah those are the best.

Most games during the regular season are available in one way or another for the Celtics.

The year they won I saw almost all the regular season games online (not league pass or whatever) and then a Swedish channel actually showed the finals (god forbid).

Remember barely making it home to the first finals game after working a really late shift to my girlfriend having made some good texmex, a cold beer and then the hearing the "defense" chant in surround. Goosebumps right there.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by NickFaldo Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Sam, thanks for the heads up on the next contest. Maybe I'll give it a try, study who might be resting, the opposition, what Doc's plans are for the game, etc.. Otherwise, I might be able to come up with the money. Maybe you have a p.o. box we can mail a check, or maybe I'll figure out paypal. I don't have a credit card, so I'm unsure if paypal is an option for me. We're having a bit of fun at dslack's studying your forum. Not too much, so don't worry. Some conjecture is a big reason you have asked for membership dues is to deter trolls signing up.

I've always enjoyed writing on internet forums. I'm scared to reveal who I've been elsewhere and would rather people not try to figure that out. There are a lot worse hobbies than being a blogger. I wrote in another post how you should be able to deactivate accounts without deleting us. Then it would be an easy click or two to reactivate us at any point. Forumotion should be able to answer any questions you have. I assume they have a forum for webmasters like yourself. I also think there's a way for you to upload all the Roundball shows. Otherwise, I don't understand how so many people are able to upload to youtube. Those few Red shows have been at youtube for a long time. I think you could even write the company who owns the copyrights and see if they'd mind you uploading them. I think the NBA owns the show. Thanks for starting this forum.

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Nick,

If you do decide to pay the fee (and haven't won a contest in the meantime), I'll be happy to work out a private P.O. box deal with you.

I'm sorry if some people are moved to ascribe every motive except the real one to my charging of a nominal fee. I've seen some comments that people won't pay for what they can get for free. What they don't appreciate (and may not need for themselves) is that I'm trying to offer something they CANNOT get elsewhere.

I'm not simply trying to give people a place to post without trolls. I'm trying to provide something that's dynamic, unusually informative, filled with high-caliber posts, congenial, and a veritable breeding ground for friendships. I happen to believe all of those goals cannot be achieved and sustained without the intense attention of the founder (as one of several key factors including the invaluable assistance of members). And that intensity comes in the form of hours that will diminish the revenue with which my little company (I'm the only consultant) has provided me for 41 years. People can believe or not believe this as they see fit. If they don't believe it, they're dead wrong.

And they're welcome to study this forum as much as they wish...I'd be more honored than worried. I tend to be concerned mainly about doing my best; and, if I do that, I don't worry about much of anything except taking my next breath. I'll even give them some "competitive" information. In the 48 hours since I introduced this forum, our totals are 48 members (or an average of one an hour), 32 threads, and 512 posts. And, right now, the numbers seem to be escalating at an increasing rate. Our first game-on thread—a fairly pedestrian exhibition game opposite Sunday pro football (as you know) generated 98 posts. Not at all bad. I expect Tuesday's thread (in a game against the Knicks that a lot of people should be able to watch on tv) will produce some even more impressive numbers for an exhibition game.

So we're pretty happy. And I like to think that the intensity of attention I talked about has been an important catalyst—one of several, but very important nonetheless.

We can upload video on this forum. But I would not tread on anyone's copyright, and the owners of that series would certainly want to be paid to allow me to run it. The best I can do is to tell people where they can get hold of it themselves: EdAgwit@aol.com. I don't know the exact price, but I do know I was astonished that it wasn't greater.

Your presence and comments and questions are always welcome.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticFan Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 am

NY Celt wrote a very cogent and profound observation in the initial post to this thread. My compliments to him for his thoughts and his mode of expression. The relationship of Russell and KG would be like a father to a son. Maybe if we were in Mideval times it would be like King Arthur to Lancelot. The link between the two provides a very stable cornerstone for this group of players and a visible source of pride for pulling together all generations of the Celtic Fanbase I think you have several Patriarch figures now: Russ, Tommy, Cousy, Hondo, Sam Jones. All these men have a role in inspiration and a type of mentoring the current roster concerning what it means to wear the Green-MD.

MDCelticFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:45 am

And you can't omit Satch In fact, by working for the NBA for 18 years in mentoring young players, he arguably did more than any other single Celtic to solidify the Celtics influence throughout the recent NBA.

JoJo's another one. Both he and Satch are very visible at Celtics events, and K.C. Jones and Loscy occasionally show up.

I guess Danny's the main one from the 80s, since ML Carr has moved on to other (notice I didn't say "greener") pastures.

I do have to show my bias, though, by making a special note of the enduring camaraderie and family closeness that has continued to mark the Celtics teams of 45-50 years ago. They have a way to go in order to match the 60-year best-buddy friendship between Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Dom DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky (an absolute phenomenon of a relationship); but who knows?

At this point, I'm just extremely that so many of them are still on this earth.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next