gyso
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2024 Summer League Thread Empty 2024 Summer League Thread

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:18 pm

GYSO  has already created a thread in the Game On! section that has the schedule and other info.  This thread is for discussing the roster, post-game opinions etc.

This roster will be added to as more players are signed to Exhibit 10 contracts.  You won't need to look further down the thread to find out who will be playing, just if you want to see videos or stats on them:

Players (current contract status):

JD Davison (two-way). 6'1" PG
Jordan Walsh (Boston).  6'7" wing.
Drew Peterson (two-way).  6'9" wing.
Baylor Scheierman (#30 pick, unsigned as of 6/28, most likely will be).  6'6" wing
Anton Watson (#54 pick, unsigned as of 6/28, most likely will be two-way).  6'8" big.
Neemias Queta (Club Option on this year.  Deadline is 6/29).  7', 245# big.
Tristan Enaruna (Exhibit 10).  6'8" big.

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2024 Summer League Thread Empty Re: 2024 Summer League Thread

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:33 pm

I would like to see what Peterson does this summer He has a nice shot and is a pretty good rebounder. I watched him during Maine games this year. Davidson has another year here ??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:50 pm

GYSO,

I am under the impression that two-way players have two years to be upgraded to a regular NBA contract before they must be released by the G-league club and find a new team to sign a contract with.

Is this correct?  If it is then I'm wrong about JD Davison being on our Summer League squad because this is the end of his 2nd year.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:01 pm

That is what I was questioning? Wasn’t sure what the rules were.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:26 pm

Bob,

I found this:

A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract. A player cannot play under Two-Way contracts for the same team for more than three years total

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

I guess the third try's the charm!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I would like to see what Peterson does this summer He has a nice shot and is a pretty good rebounder. I watched him during Maine games this year.  Davidson has another year here ??
Drew had a very good season in Maine.

Will there be a roster spot for him. Right now I think there will be 2 opening with Brissett gone  and Svi  should be right behind him.  We  may lose Kornet if some team out there outbids us.

Drew is 24 and I do not see a need for more development time.  He scores, rebounds and passes very well.  He hustles on defense.  If he has a dominant showing in the summer league he may earn a roster spot.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:43 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

I found this:

A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract. A player cannot play under Two-Way contracts for the same team for more than three years total

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

I guess the third try's the charm!!

GYSO,

Thanks!!  I'd say that answers it.

If JD's shot isn't a lot better he should consider China.  You need to be a shooter in Europe too.  The days of the Avery Johnson type of the non-shooting point guard are gone,  especially on any Joe Mazzulla coached team.  He has excellent court vision,  is great on penetrating and dishing  (and Joe LOVES drivers touching the paint) but you have to help spread the defense.

26% from 3 and 68% from the line last season.  Considering practicing shooting is the only thing he had to do since leaving Alabama that's pretty poor.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:22 am

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:17 pm

32% 3pt fg%. That puts him behind Watson if Watson' 41% is even close to reality. Otherwise, pretty much the same stats. 1" more on the wingspan, 8-10# less.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:08 pm

Here is the schedule of our games:

2024 Summer League Thread Scree554

I posted the complete Summer League schedule in the Game On! Forum:

https://samcelt.forumotion.net/t21046-2024-summer-league-schedule-and-information

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:13 pm

Here's how the summer league playoffs work, per the league:

"After each team’s first four games, the top four teams will advance to participate in the playoffs, beginning with a semifinal doubleheader on Sunday, July 21 at 2 p.m. ET and 4 p.m. ET on ESPN. The two winning teams from the semifinal games will meet in the championship game on Monday, July 22 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. The four playoff teams will be determined by winning percentage in each team’s first four games, with tiebreak criteria available here."

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:01 pm

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 2 hours ago
Former #Celtics guard Romeo Langford, along with #Syracuse undrafted guard Judah Mintz, will play for the #76ers in Summer League.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Romeo was our #14 pick in the 2019 draft.  He didn't play in the NBA last year at all.  He was "the sweetener" in Danny's fleecing of Bryan Colangelo in the Fultz-Tatum massacre.  Romeo was traded, with Josh Richardson, to San Antonio for Derrick freaking White.  JRich came to us in a trade with Dallas in which we sent Cowens' boyfriend, Moses Brown (who is now a still-unsigned free agent.  Portland hasn't resigned him.  They also have RWill, Ayton and drafted Donovan Clingan #7 and don't need him).  Moses Brown came to us as sweetener in the Al Horford for Kemba Walker trade with OKC.  Kemba was done.  He hung on for two more seasons with NY and Dallas but he was effectively on his last legs (specifically, his knees).

Fultz = Tatum + Romeo
Cooked Kemba = Champion Al Horford + Moses Brown
Moses Brown = Josh Richardson
DWhite = JRich + Romeo

Romeo was free (and has no value because he's out of the league).  Moses was free (and has no value because he's out of the league), which means JRich was free.   Ergo, ipso facto, Derrick was free because zero + zero = zero.  Free Derrick + Champion Al, all for free.

Thank you, Danny.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:20 pm

Ah yes, summer league.

The Orioles look great again this year if the pitching holds.

Basketball? In the summer? Sure, we still play some pickup games in the driveway and at a local college when we have energy left after a round of golf. I can't really compete with the young guys on the court anymore, though.

I'll watch the NBA Summer League recordings at 2X speed. On nights I can't sleep.

Basketball
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:37 am

NYCelt wrote:Ah yes, summer league.

Basketball? In the summer? Sure, we still play some pickup games in the driveway and at a local college when we have energy left after a round of golf. I can't really compete with the young guys on the court anymore, though.

I'll watch the NBA Summer League recordings at 2X speed. On nights I can't sleep.

Basketball

NYCelt,

I understand baseball in the summer vs basketball. To everything there is a season, as Ecclesiastes and Roger McGuinn and The Byrds have told us, but I don't understand how people can watch college sports but not semi-pro.  College athletes aspire to become pros, semi-pros aspire to become full-time pros.  If being a ML baseball player is the ultimate goal then why wouldn't you watch a AAA game over a college game?  You won't even make the squad in AAA if you aren't good enough, if you're not right below ML quality.

In the case of NBA Summer League some of those players will be on our team come October.  Scheierman will be, for sure.  If Queta plays in SL he will as well.  Jordan Walsh will get more minutes this year with the departure of Svi (Svi got 413 minutes last year.  Jordan got 83.  That would be a nice step up for a 2nd round pick and he could easily get more than that if Brad doesn't replace Svi OR Oshae) and he will definitely be playing in just his 2nd SL.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:11 am

Link to Summer League rosters:

https://www.nba.com/2024-summer-league-vegas-roster

NO DATA AVAILABLE is the current results, but this should change over time.

Note: even the link from the ESPN summer league page comes back to the nba.com page.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:51 pm

GYSO's link is still showing "Data Unavailable", but it's only one week until our first SL game and they need a few days of practice before that, so that means the roster has to be at least mostly formed.

Players (current contract status):

JD Davison (two-way). 6'1" PG
Jordan Walsh (Boston).  6'7" wing.
Drew Peterson (two-way).  6'9" wing.
Baylor Scheierman (#30 pick, unsigned as of 6/28, most likely will be).  6'6" wing
Anton Watson (#54 pick, unsigned as of 6/28, most likely will be two-way).  6'8" big.
Neemias Queta (?) .  7', 245# big.
Tristan Enaruna (Exhibit 10).  6'8" big.

Update:

Ron Harper Jr. - Raptors 905 (G-League).  6'4", 233# guard.  Yeah, the son of Jordanaire Ron Harper

This now brings the roster up to 8.  We need 4 more.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:12 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Basketball

NYCelt,

I understand baseball in the summer vs basketball. To everything there is a season, as Ecclesiastes and Roger McGuinn and The Byrds have told us, but I don't understand how people can watch college sports but not semi-pro.  College athletes aspire to become pros, semi-pros aspire to become full-time pros.  If being a ML baseball player is the ultimate goal then why wouldn't you watch a AAA game over a college game?  You won't even make the squad in AAA if you aren't good enough, if you're not right below ML quality.

In the case of NBA Summer League some of those players will be on our team come October.  Scheierman will be, for sure.  If Queta plays in SL he will as well.  Jordan Walsh will get more minutes this year with the departure of Svi (Svi got 413 minutes last year.  Jordan got 83.  That would be a nice step up for a 2nd round pick and he could easily get more than that if Brad doesn't replace Svi OR Oshae) and he will definitely be playing in just his 2nd SL.

Bob

Bob,

You may recall this is an annual tradition of sorts. Every year going back to the Globe days I would tell Dick how useless I thought summer league was. We had some fun with it. When I would see him, sometimes along with112288 each summer, the last thing we would talk about was basketball. And under no circumstances summer league. If I see someone start a summer league thread, I try to make similar comments every year.

For the record, and since you took the trouble to come up with examples, I don't think NBA summer league has anywhere near the value of a full season of a college sport or minor league baseball. I won't go into a whole debate, but in part I think it's too small a sample size.

I usually make similar comments until the World Series is over. I like to remind myself, and sometimes others, not to take a game I'm not even playing in too seriously. It's all in fun.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:40 pm

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Basketball

NYCelt,

Bob

Bob,

You may recall this is an annual tradition of sorts. Every year going back to the Globe days I would tell Dick how useless I thought summer league was. We had some fun with it. When I would see him, sometimes along with112288 each summer, the last thing we would talk about was basketball. And under no circumstances summer league. If I see someone start a summer league thread, I try to make similar comments every year.

For the record, and since you took the trouble to come up with examples, I don't think NBA summer league has anywhere near the value of a full season of a college sport or minor league baseball. I won't go into a whole debate, but in part I think it's too small a sample size.

I usually make similar comments until the World Series is over. I like to remind myself, and sometimes others, not to take a game I'm not even playing in too seriously. It's all in fun.

NYCELT,

Sorry for being such a curmudgeon.  I made amends and adjusted my 'tude by posting a video, Derrick White’s Greatest blocks" on the Celtics BLISS thread.  I hope you enjoy it.

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:14 am

The link to nowhere still goes nowhere.

Meanwhile, there's this:

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:33 am

Today is Monday, July 8th.  Our first SL game is only 5 days from now on Saturday, July 13th.

Despite this the Celtics have not announced their fully-formed SL roster.

I would expect, based upon prior years, the squad will get together 2-3 days before they have to get on a plane to Vegas.  A couple of days to learn a few plays, run some skeleton drills and a couple of days for the coaches to see what they've got in terms of talent as well as the players' physical conditioning.  They will either fly everybody to Boston for that "mini-camp", and then everybody gets on a plane to Vegas on 7/12, or everybody will rendezvous in Vegas and do their "mini-camp" there and just flow directly into the games.  You'd think that this would all fire off no later than  7/10 if they're starting in Boston and flying to Vegas and no later than 7/11 if it's all going to happen in Vegas.

We have 8 players identified so far.  That's all.  That's barely a bench-shortened playoff roster much less a SL team.

Everybody knows that just because you're on a SL team it doesn't mean you're getting an invite to a pro camp.  Everybody knows that if you shine in SL your chances of being invited to a pro camp, even if it's not the camp of the team you played for, go way up.  There might not be any room on our teams but there are some possibilities nevertheless.  Drew Peterson has one two-way slot, JD Davison is a likely candidate for the second one.  That leaves one unfilled two-way.  Furthermore there is a Boston Celtic NBA roster spot open because Oshae and Svi are unsigned.

WTF Austin?  If there are no openings because you and Brad already know who are getting those last spots then don't be so stingy with SL offers.  On the other hand, if there are still chances for a newbie to make one of our teams then there should be no shortage of eligible G-League and/or overseas pros who would/should snap at an offer by the World Champions to showcase themselves in Vegas.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:05 pm

SL is methadone for hard core basketball junkies that go through their annual withdrawal once the season is completed.

Gotta get my fix!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:14 pm

Yup and wouldn't you know I will be in Maine in a house with as little cable coverage as possible. Guess i will have to suck it up!!! There is always the olympics at the end of the money
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:03 pm

NYCelt,

As I was reading through the more recent posts in this thread and came upon your 7/3 post, I immediately thought and was going to say you had stolen a few lines from some of Sam's prose!!  As I ready further, you cleared things up!  Thanks for bringing back memories or our beloved Sam. 

I may check in a few SL games over the next few days before vaca kicks in at the end of the month since my boys are armpit deep into everything Celtics.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:07 pm

Well Bob, your answer was on facebook. Celtics have resigned JD to another 2 way contract
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:38 pm

Jaelen House (Eddie's son) is playing for us in Vegas.
23-years old, 15.9 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game while shooting 37.5% from the field and 32.8% from deep @ New Mexico.

The remaining four spots belong to Tyler Cook, Ron Harper Jr., Jahmi’us Ramsey, and Killian Tillie, who will be looking to land on an NBA roster by the start of next season. All four guys have previous NBA experience.

Tyler Cook.  6'8", 255#, 7' 1/2" wingspan.  Almost 27 years old.   692 NBA minutes.  Has taken a total of 2 3pt fgas.

Jahmi’us Ramsey.  6'3", 190#.  23 years old.  349 NBA minutes.  < .300 3pt fg%.

Killian Tillie.  6'9", 220#, 6'8" wingspan.  26 years old.  643 NBA minutes.   2 years in the league,  both with Memphis.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next