RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

2024 Summer League Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 2024 Summer League Thread

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:36 pm

vs Dallas

No Queta, no Springer, no Davison.  If this was a real game and not a series of tryouts that would be 3 of our starting 5 not playing.

Ron Harper Jr. is a shorter Wes Unseld.  Jordan might have an inch or two on him height-wise but looks positively anorexic next to Harper.

House was a little powerhouse.  Reminds me a lot of Phil Pressey.  Not a good shooting night but he ran a good offense.  A liability, due to his size, on defense.  Just like his dad.

Jordan Walsh went 4-16 and 0-9 from 3.  This is truly amazing considering he shot 36% from 3 in G-League last year.  I know he's not a shooter but I've never seen a player who averaged almost 15ppg and at least passable 3pt shooting last year struggle so badly in SL.  In the last few minutes of the 3rd he gave up on 3s and started attacking the rim and he got buckets and/or fritos.  He ended up with 12 points and 11 rebounds.  2 steals.  4 assists and 2 turnovers.  If the coaching staff wanted him to show his confidence in his 3pt shot by taking them they saw that.  If they wanted to see him justify that confidence they didn't.  However, he did well when he attacked the rim.  He should continue to do what he does well.  

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
3 minutes ago
Walsh falls to 0/10 from 3 in this game and 0/22 in 4 games.

Watson with another good game, his 2nd in a row.  14 points on 5-11, 2-4 from 3.  8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 turnover and 2 blocks in 28 minutes.  Will he get to play any minutes in the first 2+ months of the season while Porzingis is rehabbing?  He has acclimated to SL faster than Shooterman.

And speaking of Baller Shooterman, 15 points on 5-8, 3-6 from 3.  He came on in the late 3rd and 4th.  His defense is, how shall I put this, slow-footed.  He's going to spend a lot of time in Maine until he learns to move his feet laterally on defense.  His defense was really poor this game.  They should strap him into a chair and make him watch film of his defense this game.

Killian Tillie with some offense but no defense.  In general I was underwhelmed by the defense of this team and have been the whole SL.  I don't know what principles HC DJ MacLeay tried to instill in them but the letter 'D' wasn't in any of them.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:47 am

Jaelen House shines, but Celtics fall, 101-90, to Mavericks in Summer League action

https://www.celticsblog.com/2024/7/19/24202200/boston-celtics-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-101-90-jaelen-house-jordan-walsh-baylor-scheierman

Baylor Scheierman was efficient, and Ron Harper Jr. contributed as well.

By Trevor Hass@TrevorHass Jul 19, 2024, 6:28pm EDT 17 Comments / 17 New

In the most anticipated Celtics-Mavericks matchup of the year (OK, maybe not quite), Dallas found a way in an entertaining Summer League showdown Friday night.

The Mavericks built an early lead and withstood multiple Celtics runs to earn a 101-90 win in Las Vegas.

It may not have carried quite the same weight as the NBA Finals, but it did give plenty of up-and-coming contributors a chance to showcase their skills on a grand stage.

With Jaden Springer, JD Davison, Neemias Queta and Drew Peterson all out, the Celtics (2-2) gave several players some extended run. Six Celtics scored in double figures, led by Jaelen House with 18 points and 9 assists, but it ultimately wasn’t enough.

Olivier-Maxence Prosper (22 points) and A.J. Lawson (21 points) paced the Mavericks (1-3), who shot 50.7 on the evening.

House and Ron Harper Jr. were bright spots in the first half, working in tandem to burn the Mavericks from inside and out.

Baylor Scheierman (15 points) drilled a 3 to tie it at 9 early. After a Mavericks flurry, Harper Jr. hit a 3 of his own to slice the deficit to 23-16. TJ Clark buried one final 3 for Dallas at the buzzer, helping the Mavericks take a 30-22 edge into the second.

The Celtics moved the ball relatively well, racking up six assists, but they also turned it over six times in a choppy quarter.

After the lead ballooned to 13 early in the second, Killian Tillie and Scheierman connected on 3’s to trim it to eight. House, who plays with the same passion and swagger as his father, Eddie, won a jump ball to set up a Harper 3. He then added an and-one, on a crafty hesitation move, but once again, Boston allowed a 3 in the final seconds.

Dallas took a 55-45 edge into halftime behind 12 points from Prosper. The Celtics didn’t register a single steal, Jordan Walsh shot 0 for 6 from 3-point range and Anton Watson was 1 for 5 from the floor.

Despite the Celtics’ overall sluggishness and sloppiness, with 11 turnovers, they found themselves down 10 and well within striking distance.

Walsh turned it up a notch in the third, hustling to set up a Tillie 3. Watson added a silky smooth post move, Walsh attacked the basket and House drilled a 3 and hit the Mavericks with a celebratory shoulder shake.

Dallas still led, 76-69, through three, but the Celtics had momentum on their side.

The Celtics narrowed the deficit to 83-78 on a Watson putback, then Dallas extended it to double digits once again. Every time Boston made a push, Dallas responded to stay ahead.

The Mavericks then pulled away in the final minutes. The Celtics are now officially eliminated from semifinal contention and will play one more game this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:12 pm

vs Sixers

What's nice is that we have competed in every SL game even though, for the last two games at least, we've been without Queta, Springer and Davison.

Jordan Walsh with his best SL game BY FAR (not that that's saying a lot).  A very solid game on both ends.  18 points on 7-14, 4-8 from 3.  7 rebounds.  6 turnovers, unfortunately, but he shouldn't have been the ballhandler anyway.  I really don't understand what our coaching staff was trying to do for most of these games.  I'm glad he went 4-8 from 3.  He's a mediocre 3pt shooter, we know that, but he was just plain awful all SL until now.  I'm glad he was able to show the coaching staff that he can shoot them.

I'm going to stop calling him Baller Shooterman if he doesn't figure out how to ball and shoot.  He has to earn that.  He took a couple of charges today, I'll give him that, he stood in there and took the hits.  He also had 7 rebounds, 4 offensive.  3-12, 2-7 from 3 though.  Some will disagree with me but I did not see one single good game from him in SL.  Granted he's only the #30 pick, the last pick of the 1st round, but he's still the highest drafted player on the Celtic team.  I was really jazzed about him when he was drafted.  Now I'm scared he's another McBuckets, a player that is too slow-footed to play NBA ball.

Ty Cook with a solid, strong game.  Hopefully he'll hook up with someone.

Drew Peterson brought the ball up court and started the half court offense a lot in the 2nd half.  Don't understand it, but he did.  I don't see him as an NBA player.  Too soft for his size, not skilled enough to play a real wing in today's NBA.

House is a good little player.  That's his problem, he's a little player.  Knows all the "tiny guard" tricks but that won't help him in the NBA where he's a midget.

Watson with another solid game.  15 points on 6-12, 2-5 from 3.  3 assists and zero turnovers.  I've liked what I've seen from Anton Watson this SL.  I think Brad was a bit premature on offering a two-way to Drew Peterson.  I'd have given that to a wing.  Davison is a two-way guard, Watson is a two-way big(gish) and then, if the third two-way is a wing, you're developing players at every position.  Watson said he wants to be a young Al Horford.  A nice goal considering Al was the #3 pick and is a 5X All-Star.  Overall I liked Anton Watson's Summer League play.  Some seasoning in Maine could produce some very nice dividends down the road.

Philly shot over 50% again.  Did we hold anybody under 50% this SL?

Well, it's over for us, Summer League is over.  Now it's time for the Summer Doldrums.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:11 am

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar-sumnmer-240721-walsh-heats-up-closes-out-summer-league-on-high-note

2024 Summer League Thread - Page 3 WalshUntitled-1

Walsh Heats Up, Closes Out Summer League on High Note

Taylor Snow

Sr. Writer

July 21, 20249:04 PM EDT

Jordan Walsh found his shooting stroke Sunday afternoon, turning what had been a cold start to the Las Vegas Summer League into a flamethrowing finale.

After shooting 0-for-22 from 3-point range through the first four games, the second-year wing opened Game 5 by sinking three consecutive triples. He finished with a team-high 18 points on 7-of-14 shooting, including 4-of-8 from long range in a 103-98 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

Walsh excelled in a few other areas besides scoring, posting a team-high two blocks along with team-high-tying marks of four offensive rebounds and seven total rebounds. The 20-year-old also handed out a pair of assists as part of a well-rounded, 31-minute effort.

Walsh was just one of several Celtics who closed out the summer session on a high note.

Jaelen House scored 17 points off the bench, giving him 35 points over the last two contests. The 6-foot guard also handed out a team-high six assists following a nine-assist effort against Dallas Friday afternoon.

Tyler Cook was cookin’ off the bench, too. The 6-foot-8 center scored 15 points through the first three quarters to lead all scorers and finished with 16 points on 5-of-8 shooting from the field and a 6-of-8 effort from the free-throw line.

Anton Watson stepped up with 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting while also grabbing four rebounds and handing out three assists. The second-round pick has been a model of consistency of late, scoring between 14 and 15 points in each of his last three games.

First-round pick Baylor Scheierman was the fifth and final Celtic to score in double digits, finishing with 13 points. The starting wing also tied Walsh for the game lead in offensive and total rebounds.

Boston grabbed its first lead of the game at the 4:05 mark of the first quarter and didn’t trail again until the 4:45 mark of the third frame. That was around the time when Philly caught fire, as it entered the fourth quarter on a 13-3 run while holding onto a 10-point lead.

The C’s slowly chipped away again down the stretch before tying it back up 96-96 with 1:39 left in the game. However, leading scorer David Jones (23 points) responded for Philly with a go-ahead 3-pointer and then teammate Judah Mintz hit a turnaround dagger to seal the game.

It wasn’t the finish the Celtics had hoped for, as it closed out the summer with a 2-3 record; however, their rookies and second-year players gained some valuable experience in the process.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:32 pm

Thanks Bob, glad Jordan finally showed some flashes. Keep working kid, he can still be a force off the bench at some point that can help us. A Tayshaun Prince type that could fit in like clockwork with our defensive culture.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:29 am

A REMINDER:

Jordan Walsh and Anton Watson were traded to Boston in the 2023 draft.

Boston had the #34 pick, we picked 6'6" guard Colby Jones out of Xavier.  Brad then traded Jones to Sacramento for their 2023 #38 pick and a future, 2024 2nd round pick they got from Dallas in an earlier unrelated trade.  Brad took Jordan Walsh with the #38 pick and the following year picked Anton Watson with that 2nd rounder.

Colby Jones played 192 minutes in 30 games (6.4mpg) for Sacto last year.   He was 39.4% from the field, 9.1% from 3, 54.5% from the line.

Walsh, as we all know, spent virtually all his time in Maine, played 82 minutes for Boston but in just 9 games (9.2mpg).  He shot 40%, 22.2% from 3 and was 1-for-2 from the line.  Nothing impressive, but comparable to Colby Jones' also meager minutes.  In my opinion it is more helpful for a young, marginal player to get more NBA mpg in fewer games than it is to play in more games but fewer minutes per game, especially if they're getting a lot of minutes elsewhere.  They aren't veterans who can just come off the bench and already have their rhythm.  Giving them a little longer court time at one time let's them settle down, vs running around like kindergarteners on a sugar high in the final few minutes of a blow out.

We will see what, if anything, Watson turns into.  The point I'm making is that Anton Watson is, effectively, free.  He was the sugar in the Jones/Walsh trade.  Jones' career has gotten a slight (VERY slight!) head start on Jordan's but that's because Sacto was a mediocre team (finishing 46-36, 9th in the WC and a play-in spot) while we were the best team in the league.  Sacto could afford to give Jones a few more minutes (110 more, to be precise), they weren't going anywhere special, while our trajectory squeezed Jordan out of the rotation but got him a ton of reps in Maine.

Brad might be good at this GM stuff.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:42 pm

Walsh played well at times in Maine, but, in my opinion, still has a long way to go. The one thing I do like about him is he never stops trying. A hard worker, but still really a kid. This is going to be a tough road for him this year. Maine will still see alot of him just to keep him fresh and learning. I only saw Watson play in 2 games, was on vacation in Maine during Summer league. He impressed me the 2 times I saw him. Another player with Maine in his future I believe. He is aggressive, I like that about him
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:08 pm

I like Walsh, in glimpse’s you can see he can defend. Has to put on some weight, but he’s still a kid in a man’s game. Let’s see how hard he can work

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3