RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2024 Summer League Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2024 Summer League Thread

Post by gyso Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:48 pm

Celtics announce 13-man Summer League roster

https://www.celticsblog.com/2024/7/8/24194303/boston-celtics-nba-summer-league-roster-jordan-walsh-neemias-queta-jaden-springer-baylor-scheierman

We’re less than a week away from Vegas, folks!

By SamLaFrance@SamLaFranceNBA Jul 8, 2024, 2:18pm EDT 18 Comments / 18 New

On Monday, the Boston Celtics announced their 13-man roster for the NBA Summer League. Boston’s squad will feature familiar faces like JD Davison, Drew Peterson, Neemias Queta, Jaden Springer, and Jordan Walsh.

Fans have gotten to know the games of the five champs and should expect them to showcase their strengths with the extra opportunity in Las Vegas.

Joining that group will be incoming draftees, Baylor Scheierman out of Creighton, and Anton Watson from Gonzaga.

Boston picked Sheierman with the final pick of the first round last month. His strong play in the Big East caught the attention of Brad Stevens and the Celtics’ front office. Scheierman posted 18.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game at Creighton and did it efficiently. The sharpshooting wing knocked down 44.8% of his attempts from the floor and 38.1% of those from distance.

A day later, the Cs selected Watson with the 54th pick. The six-foot-eight big man has a well-rounded game that could eventually land him a two-way with Boston. He scored 14.5 points, grabbed 7.1 rebounds, and dished 2.6 assists per game at Gonzaga last season. On top of the averages, Watson has shown an ability to sink threes, making 41.2% of his attempts last season.

Those two aren’t the only rookies who will be suiting up for the summer Celtics. Both Tristan Enaruna out of Cleveland State and Jaelen House (son of NBC Sports Boston’s Eddie House) from New Mexico made the summer roster after going undrafted last month.

Enaruna is coming off of an impressive senior season. He was the leading scorer for his Cleveland State squad, averaging 19.6 points per game on 54.5% from the field and 32.2% from beyond the arc.

House, much like Enaruna, just wrapped his senior year. He led New Mexico to a Mountain West Tournament championship after a strong regular season. The 23-year-old posted 15.9 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game while shooting 37.5% from the field and 32.8% from deep.

The remaining four spots belong to Tyler Cook, Ron Harper Jr., Jahmi’us Ramsey, and Killian Tillie, who will be looking to land on an NBA roster by the start of next season. All four guys have previous NBA experience.

Cook spent time with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Brooklyn Nets, and Chicago Bulls, appearing in 45 total games over two seasons. The six-foot-eight center averaged 3.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in the NBA. He’s since spent time playing in the G-League and internationally in Spain and Australia.

Saturday, July 13 at 6:30 pm: Celtics vs. Heat (NBATV)
Monday, July 15, 10:30 pm: Celtics vs. Lakers (NBATV)
Wednesday, July 17 5:30 pm: Celtics vs. Hornets (NBATV)
Friday, July 19, 4:30 pm: Celtics vs. Mavericks (ESPNU)

Harper Jr. was a member of the Toronto Raptors for the past two seasons. He suited up in just 10 total games, averaging two points in five minutes per contest.

Also joining the Cs from Toronto is Ramsey, who played in seven games for the Raptors last year. He averaged 6.7 points, 3.1 rebounds, and 1.1 assists in 17.3 minutes per outing. Prior to his time up north, he was a member of the Sacramento Kings.

As for Tillie, he’s spent the past two years out of the league but was a part of the Memphis Grizzlies organization from 2020-22. The big man took the floor a total of 54 times for Memphis, averaging 3.2 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 0.6 assists per game.

Celtics assistant coach D.J. MacLeay will be the man in charge of the summer squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:12 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:35 pm

Cameron Tabatabaie @CTabatabaie
1 hour ago
New: The Celtics are bringing Tyler Cook to summer league, an athletic forward with strong rebounding skills Cook also happens to be Jayson Tatum's high school teammate Via @TheCelticsWire:

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:56 am

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:05 am

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:02 pm

Kyle Filipowski, in his SL debut for Utah.

17 minutes, 0 points, 0-4, 0-4 from 3.

Let's see you smoke him, Anton.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:06 am

Boston Celtics
@celtics
Day 2 of summer camp complete ✅

https://x.com/i/status/1810766000549191729

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:12 pm

Bob
MY NOTE:  Jeez, Jordan!  He's a 54 year old man.  You're not supposed to get scored on.  I know it's light-hearted stuff and all but don't let him score.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:38 pm

Here’s a look at the Summer League roster:

Number............Name......................Position.......Height.........Age
13...................Drew Peterson..........Forward.......6-8.............24
20...................JD Davison...............Guard.........6-3.............21
27...................Jordan Walsh............Forward......6-7.............20
28...................Anton Watson...........Forward......6-8.............23
29...................Travis Enaruna..........Forward......6-8..............23
37...................Tyler Cook................Forward......6-8.............26
38...................Killian Tillie...............Center........6-9.............26
41...................Jaelen House............Guard.........6-0.............23
44...................Jaden Springer..........Guard.........6-4.............21
51...................Ron Harper Jr............Forward......6-6.............24
52...................Jahmi’us Ramsey......Guard.........6-3.............23
55...................Baylor Scheierman....Guard.........6-6.............23
88...................Neemias Queta.........Center........7-0.............24

Bob
MY NOTE:  They'll flying out today for their first game tomorrow.  BASKETBALL TOMORROW!!  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:27 pm

SC?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:16 pm

https://nesn.com/2024/07/celtics-wing-ready-to-show-at-summer-league-he-took-major-leap/

Celtics Wing Ready To Show At Summer League He Took Major Leap

Jordan Walsh is a key play to watch on Boston's Summer League team

GREG DUDEK
Digital Content Producer

Boston Celtics forward Jordan Walsh has a big opportunity in front of him over the next week.

The 2023 second-round pick will play in his second straight Summer League, which starts Saturday for the Celtics, and it could be the first step in the 6-foot-7, 205-pound defensive-minded wing securing a spot in Boston’s rotation next season.

Walsh spent the majority of last season either playing in the G League or watching from the sidelines — he played in only nine games for the Celtics. But Walsh, who just turned 20 years old in March, feels like he gained a lot from that experience.

“I would say another thing is just being a better player than I was last year,” Walsh told reporters Friday from Las Vegas, per CLNS Media. “Showing improvement. Showing I’ve had a year in the NBA now (and) now I’m a way better player than I was last year.”

Walsh showed his potential in the G League last season when he averaged 14.7 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists to go along with shooting 42.6% from the field and 36.1% from 3-point range.

Even with Celtics bringing back basically every member of their championship team, there is an opening with it looking like Oshae Brissett could leave in free agency. Walsh could take over Brissett’s limited role next season as he continues to develop.

“I think I’ve gotten better at slowing the game down, changing my pace, I guess you could say,” Walsh said. “I feel like that’s the most important thing. I went with (player enhancement coach) Ross (McMains) slow-stepping a lot. Just slowing down. It doesn’t always have to be 100 miles per hour. It can be 20, 30 sometimes. I feel like that’s the focus I took after (last year’s) Summer League to try to apply to my game.”

Walsh will use the Summer League as a chance to showcase his improved skill set. He understands he will get more chances to do that without having to share the floor with the likes of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. But he will try to strike a balance of playmaking and showing Brad Stevens and Joe Mazzulla he can fill a certain role, which will be needed if he wants more playing time next season.

Being around the Celtics this season, even if it was at the end of the bench, definitely rubbed off on Walsh, who is looking to stick to Boston’s winning culture even if it’s just Summer League.

“I feel like for me, obviously, winning is always the No. 1 thing,” Walsh said. “We want to come here and win everything. We want to win it all. That’s always on the front of my mind.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  This is a HUGE opportunity for Jordan.  Oshae is shopping for a team that will play him more, can't blame him for that, but that opens up minutes for someone else.  Brad appears to be in no great rush to fill that 15th spot.  Oshae or no Oshae that gives Jordan some daylight he has a chance to run through IF he proves he deserves it. The biggest obstacle facing young'uns is the 4" muscle between their ears and, let's remember, Jordan just turned 20 in March.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:37 am

Celtics-Heat Summer League takeaways: Scheierman delivers solid debut

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-heat-summer-league-takeaways-005903179.html

Darren Hartwell
Sat, Jul 13, 2024, 9:04 PM EDT·4 min read

Celtics-Heat Summer League takeaways: Scheierman delivers solid debut originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Baylor Scheierman's first game in a Boston Celtics uniform is in the books, and it was an eventful one for the No. 30 overall pick in the 2024 NBA Draft.

Scheierman missed his first three 3-point attempts in Boston's NBA Summer League opener Saturday night but shook off the rust to finish with 13 points on 4 of 9 shooting (3 of 7 from 3-point range) in the Celtics' 119-114 loss to the Miami Heat at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Jaden Springer was Boston's high scorer with 23 points, while Neemias Queta added 20 points and nine rebounds and JD Davison contributed 19 points.

Jaime Jaquez Jr. (game-high 29 points) showed out for Miami, with Josh Christopher (20 points) and Kel'el Ware (17 points) delivering strong performances as well.

The Celtics' next Summer League game is Monday night against Bronny James and the Los Angeles Lakers (10:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Boston), but before that matchup, here are three takeaways from the first of four C's games in Las Vegas:

Baylor Scheierman finishes strong

Scheierman's best attribute is his outside shot, but early on, it was his playmaking ability on display.

Despite going 0 for 3 in the first quarter, the Creighton product found other ways to impact the game with a pair of assists in the opening minutes, including this nice dish to fellow rookie Anton Watson for a layup:

Scheierman finally got on the board late in the second quarter, hitting a pull-up jumper at the free throw line for his first points in a Celtics uniform.

My note: Notice that the jokers on the mike were ignoring the game and talking about the Heat. They even split the screen to show the two media guys with a guest (Haslem), ignoring the game to have a chat.

Unprofessional and disrespectful to the players on the floor and to everyone watching the game.

The 6-foot-6 forward found his shooting stroke in the second half, making three of his five 3-point attempts to reach double digits.

Scheierman added six assists, five rebounds and a steal in a solid all-around performance despite his early offensive struggles. If the 23-year-old continues to find ways to impact the game outside his shooting, he could carve out some minutes at the NBA level this season.

Jaden Springer provides a spark

While the attention was on Scheierman, Springer was the Celtics' best player in this game.

The 21-year-old guard, whom Boston acquired from the Philadelphia 76ers in February, racked up 23 points on 8 of 15 shooting while adding six assists and a pair of steals. He helped Neemias Queta get going early by finding the big man with a nifty pass for an easy dunk, then made an acrobatic play to convert a pull-up jumper in the second half.

Springer likely won't see many minutes this season behind the backcourt of Jrue Holiday, Derrick White and Payton Pritchard, but he's an encouraging long-term project who put on a good show in front of Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens on Saturday.

Neemias Queta active in the paint

Queta might be the most experienced player on the Celtics' Summer League roster, and he played like it in Game 1.

The fourth-year big man brought energy in the paint on both ends, finishing with 20 points on 9 of 15 shooting to go along with nine rebounds (six offensive), two assists, a steal and a block.

Queta did have some trouble finishing around the rim but showcased strong rebounding ability and rim protection. He's a player worth watching early in the season, as head coach Joe Mazzulla may call his number with Kristaps Porzingis expected to be sidelined until November or December.

Anton Watson protects the rim

The Celtics' 2024 second-round pick had a quieter night than Scheierman (eight points on 4 of 7 shooting with two rebounds, a steal and a block), but he delivered an impressive highlight in the fourth quarter by swatting a Jaquez layup attempt:

Watson was a versatile defender at Gonzaga, and he lived up to that scouting report Saturday. Check out full Celtics-Heat game highlights below:

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:45 am

Here's another short vid:

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:26 am

All around, a very entertaining game.  Lots of points but some how the defense was good as well.  MIA almost broke the points record for Summer League.  Given that they play 8 less minutes than regular NBA game, the scoring was very good on both ends.  

Baller Shooterman finally got going after a couple of air balls.  Kid's for real.  Good all-purpose game for him.  

Jerry Springer provided some good scoring.  

Al Qaeda and JD also came to play!  Very good games from those two as well.  Not a lot of mistakes on either side until we folded up near the end.  They will fix that come next game.

Have to follow Ramsey off the bench more in the next game.  He came out firing as well.  

Looking forward to tomorrow night!  

MIA still sucks.  Announcers and all.  Hang it up, Pat.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:26 am

I was impressed with Queta’s variety of finishes around the rim, he showed me some good hands, off our offense he can get a lot of feeds down low.

Loved what I saw from the 2 rooks, once Shooterman got the jitters out, he looked really good. Anton did his job and showed enough that want to see more.

The 2 little guys Springer and Davidson were really on, scoring in traffic and both efficient making it look easy. Brad has really stockpiled some decent young pieces on this team!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Some Summer League Ground Rules, first:

1.  The final score doesn't matter.  What matters is how you play.

2.  More experience is better than less experience and players should be judged accordingly.  Second year SL players should be better than rooks, players with more NBA experience should be better than those with less.

3.  Personal fouls and turnovers tend to be higher since the players haven't played together much, so there's less chemistry nor knowledge of their system.

So, after the first game of SL for our Celtics:

The best players on the floor for the two teams were Jaime Jaquez Jr for the Heat, with 2113 NBA minutes under his belt (including a win vs the eventual World Champions in a start in Boston) and Jaden Springer for the Celts, with 602 NBA minutes played.  There should be no surprises here.  Both looked extremely comfortable.  In Springer's case (who gives a F about Jaquez anyway?) there was a lot to like.  He shot 8-15.  He was 3-6 from 3.  He defended very well and had two steals, but the thing that impressed me the most about his game were his 6 assists and zero turnovers.  Will that be normal for him during the regular season?  Probably not, he is playing against inferior talent and see the SL Ground Rules above.  This would be Springer's 3rd SL, he should be the best we have every game.

JD Davison started out slow, a lot of dribbling and not much else.  He looked like he was hesitant to shoot, which is his biggest weakness as we know, but then he settled down and started to play well.  He went 6-7 and, more importantly, he was 3-3 from 3.  Shooting from range has been his nemesis, if he has any hope of getting an NBA contract he has to show material progress in this area and last night he succeeded.  He had 7 assists and 4 turnovers which sounds about right for him.  A lot of playmaking and a lot of bad decisions with playmaking.  If he ever reduces his turnovers he is a natural-born point guard.  This is his 3rd SL, he needs to show his learning curve has flattened out.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
JD Davison says that he was planning on coming back to the Celtics regardless of whether they gave him a two-way contract.

Baller Shooterman had rookie jitters in the 1st half but still managed 3 assists.  I saw evidence of good BBIQ and court feel.  I was quite impressed with his floor generalship, he didn't have tunnel vision.  He was 0-3, all from 3, then 1-4 from 3, and ended up 3-7 from 3.  So he was 2-3 from 3 in his last 3 3pt fgas and that's bodes very well.  Brad told him "shoot 3s, defend and rebound".  In his first SL game of his first SL season Shooterman had 13 points on 4-9, 5 rebounds (3 offensive), 6 assists and 1 turnover in 24 minutes.

Souichi Terada @SouichiTerada
yesterday
Baylor Scheierman admitted he had jitters heading into his debut. Plus, the C's had him guard Jamie Jaquez Jr. But the rookie embraced the matchup: "I was happy they gave me that assignment. That’s something I enjoy and I’m not going to back down from."

Didn't do a very good job of defending him, but that was a coaches decision not the player's.  I don't understand that decision but there it is.  A feeling out process by our coaches to see what he can do on defense, I guess.  

The other rook we're watching is Anton Watson.  He had a relatively quiet first game, I thought.  He seemed to move well without the ball, and that's a good thing.  A decent first game of his professional career.

Queta was Queta.  20 points and 9 rebounds in 23 minutes.  482 NBA minutes and is in his, I think, 4th SL tournament?

Ramsey had a good game but I'm withholding judgement for more games because I'm completely unfamiliar with him.

The player that I thought looked to worst for us was Jordan Walsh (marginal players like Ron Harper Jr., who looks like a modern-day version of Wes Unseld; as wide as he is tall, doesn't count).  This is Jordan's 2nd SL tournament.  He got a ton of minutes in Maine and has played an, admittedly meaguer, 83 NBA minutes.  He should be ahead of Shooterman on the curve, not behind him.

My overall opinion of how the team played is somewhat negative.  Our transition defense sucked, they were getting easy buckets all game.  We were decidedly mixed in our half court defense anytime there was a lane for a driver to go to, our rotations were slow.  Yeah, I know, first game and all, but that's what I saw.  They shot almost 62% for the game, and that is just unacceptable.  They took 36 ftas vs 24 for us with Jaquez taking 11 of them.  I would have expected that Jordan would have been assigned to stop him, and do a decent job, but that didn't happen.

They shot 12-20, 60%, from 3.  That's crazy good and, to be fair, a lot of them were contested.  They just hit them and we can just tip our hat to them.  We were 11-32, 34%, from 3.  Drew Peterson was 0-4 and Jordan Walsh was 0-6.  Take that 0-10 out of the numbers and the rest of the team shot 11-22 and that's really good.

Another player for the Heat that looked pretty good was Josh Christopher, of the G-League's Sioux Falls Skyforce.   22 years old, has played 2120 NBA minutes in 138 games, including 4 starts (these are NOT a typos) in 2 seasons with Houston.  He looked like a player who isn't in awe of this opportunity.  He plays the same role as Springer, so I don't see him as someone we'd pick up for our 3rd two-way, but you never know what Brad will do with Springer.  Springer's $4M contract is enough to move the needle a little bit, so who knows what Brad is thinking?

Ok, one down and however more to go.  I'm just glad we don't have to play Miami again.  If I never see or hear Udonis Haslem again it will be too soon.  Cole Anthony said this was one of the most entertaining SL games he's ever done.  So why then didn't he talk more about the game and less about everything else?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:03 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Souichi Terada @SouichiTerada
about 1 hour ago
Neemias Queta told me he didn't talk to other teams in free agency because he "really wanted" to be back with the Celtics. That and more from the big man: "My mind was fixed on coming back. We had just won. I didn’t want to break it back." masslive.com/celtics/2024/0…

Bobby Manning
Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 1 hour ago
Anton Watson expects to shoot more threes in #Celtics #Lakers tonight: "I don't even remember shooting one (on Saturday). It's really just being ready when my teammates kick it out to me or just finding those opportunities, pick-and-pop." pic.twitter.com/U1XpkxGiuG

Bobby Manning
about 2 hours ago
Followed up w/ Walsh about his aim to be w/ the Boston #Celtics this year: "It's a goal I've set for myself for sure. Obviously, the front office and them believe in me. They think that I have a chance. As long as that window's open, I'm gonna try my hardest to get through it." pic.twitter.com/SVHu1yfkmx

Bobby Manning
about 2 hours ago
Jordan Walsh shook off his bad game vs. MIA this morning: "It's no secret. The first game for me was terrible. My focus was on the wrong thing. I should've focused more on playing how I would play if Tatum and them were on the floor." pic.twitter.com/2sAjvVLFzZ

Bobby Manning
about 2 hours ago
Anton Watson said he hasn't thought about his contract with the #Celtics yet. He's just focusing on Summer League for now. "Just finding my role on the team, whether I play 5, 4, 3. Just finding out what works for me."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:15 am

Always fun beating the Slackers even if it is a meaningless win in a meaningless game in a meaningless tournament.  Joy is where you find it.

Bronny only scored 2 points on 1-5, 0-3 from 3, 1 assist with 2 turnovers.  Nepotism, it's not just for the Buss family anymore.  Knowing how much Laker fans hate the Celtics having the scion of their leader play so poorly must hurt a bit more.  

The Laker's #17 pick, Dalton Knecht, showed some skills but he was 7-21 and 2-6 from 3.  For a shooter that's not that great.  Better than Baller Shooterman so far, but Shooterman was #30 and won't get much run time this year with the Boston team.  We can afford to be patient with Shooterman, the Lakers can't afford to be patient with Knecht 3 because their centerpiece is going to be 40 years old in December.

Neemy lookin' good, really good.  His next step up has to be to work on his mid-range game.  Fritos, elbow Js.  Give them a need to leave the restricted area and come out to him.  Other than that he's been a complete beast through two games.  The best big for either team in the first two SL games.  

about 7 hours ago
MacLeay gave Queta a lot of credit because he decided to play Summer League. Added that they’re changing the defense to suit his strengths. That’ll be the biggest factor in how much he plays for Boston.

Unfortunately, what this says to me is that Neemy doesn't have a high defensive BBIQ.  If we're changing our defenses to compensate for his weaknesses/shortcomings then NBA coaches will run offenses to exploit those weaknesses.  SL doesn't matter, the regular season does.  He should spend the rest of the summer working on those flaws because, with Z our for the first 2 months minimum, he's going to get minutes.

Neither team scored well, so those numbers aren't going to look good.  Take Neemy's 7-10 out of the boxscore and the rest of the team shot 23-61, 37.7%.  Jordan was 4-12, 0-5 from 3.  JD was 3-9, but 2-5 from 3.  Drew Peterson was 4-10, not great, but he was 4-8 from 3.  Finally coming out of his shooting slump.  He's 6'9" but looks and plays like he's 6'5", and I don't mean that in a good way.  Drew Peterson looks soft to me.  Mason Plumlee he's not.  He shot 37% from 3 in the G-League last year, so he's not great there either, but his has a 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio and that's good for a big.  I'm fishing for compliments here...

Jordan shot poorly, again, but he had 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists with zero turnovers, and a block.  He's not getting 27 minutes in a game during the season except after we have everything locked up, he's not going to be taking 12 fgas, so I'm not worried about that.  I want to see the rebounds, the steals, the lack of turnovers.

JD with 7 assists and 4 turnovers.  That is not a great assist-to-turnover ratio for a point guard, but it looks llike par for the course for JD.

Jahmi'us Ramsey scores well but he had 5 turnovers last night and pretty much all of them were ugly.  6'3" and not a great 3pt shooter.

Ron Harper Jr, who just signed an Exhibit 10 contract with us (which doesn't really mean anything) is 6'4", 245#.  That's sick.

Shooterman with another poor shooting night.  1-7, 1-6 from 3 but he had 3 assists and no turnovers.  His court vision and awareness is looking like the best part of his game so far.  I'm sure his shooting will come along, but so far he's been very good at getting his teammates involved.

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore/_/gameId/401686845/league/nba-summer-las-vegas

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:15 am

Is Bronny James a pro? Jaylen Brown doesn’t think so: He’s with Lakers ‘because of his name’

By Chuck Schilken
Staff Writer

July 16, 2024 12:38 PM PT

2024 Summer League Thread - Page 2 Mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fca-times.brightspotcdn.com%2Fdims4%2Fdefault%2Fb1ca29a%2F2147483647%2Fstrip%2Ftrue%2Fcrop%2F1709x1654%2B745%2B251%2Fresize%2F1200x1161%21%2Fquality%2F75%2F%3Furl%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%252F9a%252F91%252Fe805b72b42c7a556d9c7cbc446fb%252Fgettyimages-2161600288

NBA Finals MVP Jaylen Brown had courtside seats to watch his Boston Celtics beat the Lakers in a Summer League game Monday night.

That means he had a front-row view of one of the NBA’s most talked-about rookies, Bronny James, the son and now teammate of Lakers superstar LeBron James. The 55th overall pick of this year’s draft started the game, played 25 minutes and finished with two points on one-for-five shooting, three rebounds, one assist and two turnovers. He was zero for three from three-point range, including two airballs.

At one point during the game, TV cameras caught Brown as he turned to his girlfriend Kysre Gondrezick, a former WNBA player, and gave an assessment of the younger James’ play. While there is no audio available of the conversation, Brown appears to say, “I don’t think Bronny is a pro.”

Gondrezick appears to respond, in part, “I think he’ll be on the G League team, for sure.”

Brown appears to reply, in part, “Because of his name, he’s gonna be with the Lakers.”

Chicago Sky star rookie Angel Reese was in attendance with Brown and Gondrezick, but wasn’t part of the Bronny James chat.

2024 Summer League Thread - Page 2 Mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FGSk_rRcXQAA9WHm%3Fformat%3Djpg%26name%3D900x900&t=1721225396&ymreqid=b302b2ee-e6ee-a14f-1cff-d70028016b00&sig=hrjIGMK7h
Angel Reese, Kysre Gondrezick & Jaylen Brown courtside in Las Vegas.

Early Tuesday morning, Brown retweeted a video showing the conversation between him and Gondrezick and did not deny what was widely reported the couple said. Instead, he offered more thoughts on the 19-year-old former USC player joining his 39-year-old father as a member of the Lakers.

“It’s a flex to have your son alongside you in the nba,” Brown wrote. “It reflects greatness and longevity! Bronny has all the tools around him to be successful I look forward to watching his growth.”

LeBron James is the NBA’s all-time leading scorer and is entering his 22nd season. In the past, he publicly mentioned his desire to one day play on the same team as his oldest son but had backed off those statements more recently.

Bronny James suffered sudden cardiac arrest during a Trojans workout last summer but was able to start playing with the team Dec. 10. In 25 games as a USC freshman, he averaged 4.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists.

He declared for the draft this spring and worked out for only two teams, the Lakers and Phoenix Suns, before being drafted in the second round by his dad’s team. On July 3, Bronny James signed a guaranteed contract with the team, agreeing to a four-year deal that could be worth nearly $8 million. The same day, LeBron James re-signed with the Lakers on a two-year deal that included a no-trade clause and a player option for the second season.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:21 pm

https://www.nba.com/game/bos-vs-cha-1522400041

The game is at 5:30 PM

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Game 3 vs Charlotte

Queta didn't play, nor did Springer. Our team was missing its two best SL players, and it showed. Oh well. The better the regular season team the worse the SL team, and vice versa. We're the World Champions, we should expect our SL team to be stocked with marginal players even at that level because we have no roster spots and we're drafting at the end of the 1st round.

Baller Shooterman wasn't a shooter man again. 1-8 from 3.

Jordan Walsh having an all-round miserable SL. He is making every mistake he could make. He has said his goal is to spend more time in Boston this season. Better start showing something or you'll be there as a tourist.

The best Celtic on the floor was Anton Watson. 15 points on 6-12, 3-9 from 3. 4 rebounds, 2 assists with zero turnovers and 2 blocks in 2 minutes.

We were 25% from 3, so Anton's 33% actually pulled our numbers up. Rolling Eyes

Ramsey with another strong game. I don't think we have a spot for him, but he has been playing well. Someone should consider picking him up.

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore/_/gameId/401686857/league/nba-summer-las-vegas

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:05 am

For those of you who want to just watch the Cliff Notes and not watch the whole game...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:48 pm

Boston Celtics
@celtics
Did you get our riddle 🤔😂

https://x.com/celtics/status/1813967770452955168

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:29 pm

Bob
MY NOTE:  Some stats after 3 games:

JD Davison is shooting 59% from the field and 55.6% from 3 on 3.0 3pt fgas/game.  That is what they're looking for from him, the ability to spread the floor.
Baller Shooterman is shooting 24% from 3 on 7.0 3pt fgas/game.
Anton Watson, one of the heroes of last night's game, is shooting 27% from 3.  Not expecting great numbers from him here, but he's taking 3.7 3pt fgas/game.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next