5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Around The League 2024-2025 Season Empty Around The League 2024-2025 Season

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:24 pm

First up, Kemba Walker officially retires:

https://www.nba.com/news/kemba-walker-announces-retirement

Former All-Star guard Kemba Walker announces retirement

Kemba Walker, who played for the Hornets, Celtics, Knicks and Mavs in his career, was a 4-time NBA All-Star.

From NBA.com News Services
Updated on July 2, 2024 3:13 PM

Kemba Walker scored 12,009 points with the Hornets to set the team’s all-time mark.

• Download the NBA App

Kemba Walker, the all-time leading scorer in Charlotte Hornets history and a four-time All-Star in his 12 NBA seasons, announced his basketball retirement on Tuesday.

Walker, who played for AS Monaco of the Euroleague last season, spent eight seasons with the Hornets (2011-19), two seasons with the Boston Celtics (2019-21) and one season each with the New York Knicks (2021-22) and Dallas Mavericks (2022-23) in his NBA career.

In his social media post, Walker wrote: “Basketball has done more for me than I could’ve ever imagined, and I am super thankful for the amazing journey I’ve had. With that, I’m here to share that I am officially retiring from the game of basketball.

“This has been a dream. When I look back, I still can’t believe the things I achieved in my career.”

The 6-foot guard was a three-time NBA All-Star in Charlotte, and then in his first season in Boston in 2019-20. But the 33-year-old Walker missed significant time recently with knee issues, including playing 37 games with New York in 2021-22 and just nine games with Dallas last season.

Walker retires as the Hornets’ top scorer and ranks in the franchise’s top three in games played, assists and steals while also holding the team record for 3-pointers made and attempted, field goals made and attempted and free throws made and attempted.

He averaged 19.3 points for his 12-year NBA career, which followed him almost single-handedly powering Connecticut to the 2011 NCAA championship in a remarkable late-season run.

Walker played most of the pandemic-altered 2019-20 season, the last of five consecutive seasons in which he averaged at least 20 points per game.

Back to top Go down

Around The League 2024-2025 Season Empty Re: Around The League 2024-2025 Season

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:24 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:26 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:29 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:30 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:53 pm

Terrible decisions Rob Pelinka has made since LeBron James chose to sign with the Lakers:

- A very public and failed pursuit of Dan Hurley

- Missing on Tyronn Lue because he refused to give him a fourth year on his contract

- Failure to trade for Kyrie Irving at the trade deadline

- Failure to land Kawhi Leonard in free agency, who then signed with the Clippers

- In 2018-2019 Pelinka surrounded the best player in the world (who had just dragged the Cavs to the NBA Finals) with a young Lonzo Ball (who had arguably the worst jump shot in the league), a young Brandon Ingram (who was a 67% free throw shooter at that time).
And also signed a bunch misfits such as Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, and a washed Tyson Chandler.

- Couldn’t land Jimmy Butler in the same free agency as Kawhi

- Chose Talen Horton-Tucker over Alex Caruso in free agency, who was then later traded for Patrick Beverley

- Drafted Jalen Hood-Schifino

- Fired a championship coach in Frank Vogel

- Promised Andre Drummond that he’d start, then didn’t start him

- Let Malik Monk walk in free agency

- Let Rajon Rondo go, then signed him back 2 seasons later when he was significantly worse

- Let Dwight Howard go, then signed him back a season later when he was significantly worse

- Traded championship Center JaVale McGee to make room for the corpse of Marc Gasol

- Offered Dennis Schroder (the same player that went scoreless in an elimination against the Suns in 2021) $84 million

- Traded key championship pieces for Russell Westbrook who was taking up $48 million in cap space

- Chose Westbrook over DeMar DeRozan in free agency

- Signed a washed Carmelo Anthony who didn’t move the needle when it came to winning

- Signed Isaiah Thomas to multiple 10-day contracts for no apparent reason

- Hiring Darvin Ham, who lost the locker room

- Put together a team in 2022-2023 with zero three-point shooting outside of Wayne Ellington and Melo when you had Westbrook and LeBron on the roster (two of the best paint drivers in league history)

- Signing Kent Bazemore and Trevor Ariza as rotation guys, who were unplayable

- Failed to trade D’Angelo Russell who has consistently shown he can’t show up in the playoffs and has one of the most tradeable contracts in the league

- Traded Danny Green and a first-round pick for Dennis Schroder, who left as a free agent

- Traded Ivica Zubac to the Clippers for basically nothing leading to Jerry West mocking the franchise

- Trading the 28th pick in 2020, that ended up as Jaden McDaniels

- Failure to pull the trigger on a deal for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield

- Didn’t make a move at the latest trade deadline because he wanted to have three first-round picks to use in a substantial deal this offseason, then proceeded to do nothing this offseason

- Failing to sign Klay Thompson in this free agency

- Failing to sign Jonas Valenciunas (who signed for less than your annual MLE amount)

- Made no attempt whatsoever to sign James Harden this offseason

- Gave unproven Max Christie $32 million

- Gave Maxwell Lewis a four-year guaranteed money contract for no apparent reason

- Signed Bronny James to a four-year guaranteed money deal

- Gave player options to D’Angelo Russell, Jaxson Hayes, Cam Reddish and Christian Wood, all whom picked up their option (for the league minimum by the way outside of DLo), handicapping your entire roster flexibility

- Failure to sign Buddy Hield this offseason, who was your former client when you were an agent

- Failure to sign Terry Stotts to your coaching staff three times

- Taking so long to build a coaching staff around J.J Redick that J.J doesn’t have the time to coach Summer League

Before you say he signed Anthony Davis which ultimately led to a championship, please remember this was the most obvious and necessary move in recent modern NBA history, with already having LeBron and Davis forcing his move to the Lakers as the only suitor
he’d sign an extension with.

And before you say he signed LeBron, LeBron CHOSE to sign with the Lakers after months of speculation, and reports he was leaning there. The  biggest influence in him landing in LA was actually Magic Johnson, not Pelinka.

So there you have it folks. This is what happens when you have personal, not professional relationships in your front office - accountability goes out the window. Does this look like someone that’s maximized the duo of LeBron and AD?

I’ll let you decide.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:Terrible decisions Rob Pelinka has made since LeBron James chose to sign with the Lakers:

- A very public and failed pursuit of Dan Hurley

- Missing on Tyronn Lue because he refused to give him a fourth year on his contract

- Failure to trade for Kyrie Irving at the trade deadline

- Failure to land Kawhi Leonard in free agency, who then signed with the Clippers

- In 2018-2019 Pelinka surrounded the best player in the world (who had just dragged the Cavs to the NBA Finals) with a young Lonzo Ball (who had arguably the worst jump shot in the league), a young Brandon Ingram (who was a 67% free throw shooter at that time).
And also signed a bunch misfits such as Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, and a washed Tyson Chandler.

- Couldn’t land Jimmy Butler in the same free agency as Kawhi

- Chose Talen Horton-Tucker over Alex Caruso in free agency, who was then later traded for Patrick Beverley

- Drafted Jalen Hood-Schifino

- Fired a championship coach in Frank Vogel

- Promised Andre Drummond that he’d start, then didn’t start him

- Let Malik Monk walk in free agency

- Let Rajon Rondo go, then signed him back 2 seasons later when he was significantly worse

- Let Dwight Howard go, then signed him back a season later when he was significantly worse

- Traded championship Center JaVale McGee to make room for the corpse of Marc Gasol

- Offered Dennis Schroder (the same player that went scoreless in an elimination against the Suns in 2021) $84 million

- Traded key championship pieces for Russell Westbrook who was taking up $48 million in cap space

- Chose Westbrook over DeMar DeRozan in free agency

- Signed a washed Carmelo Anthony who didn’t move the needle when it came to winning

- Signed Isaiah Thomas to multiple 10-day contracts for no apparent reason

- Hiring Darvin Ham, who lost the locker room

- Put together a team in 2022-2023 with zero three-point shooting outside of Wayne Ellington and Melo when you had Westbrook and LeBron on the roster (two of the best paint drivers in league history)

- Signing Kent Bazemore and Trevor Ariza as rotation guys, who were unplayable

- Failed to trade D’Angelo Russell who has consistently shown he can’t show up in the playoffs and has one of the most tradeable contracts in the league

- Traded Danny Green and a first-round pick for Dennis Schroder, who left as a free agent

- Traded Ivica Zubac to the Clippers for basically nothing leading to Jerry West mocking the franchise

- Trading the 28th pick in 2020, that ended up as Jaden McDaniels

- Failure to pull the trigger on a deal for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield

- Didn’t make a move at the latest trade deadline because he wanted to have three first-round picks to use in a substantial deal this offseason, then proceeded to do nothing this offseason

- Failing to sign Klay Thompson in this free agency

- Failing to sign Jonas Valenciunas (who signed for less than your annual MLE amount)

- Made no attempt whatsoever to sign James Harden this offseason

- Gave unproven Max Christie $32 million

- Gave Maxwell Lewis a four-year guaranteed money contract for no apparent reason

- Signed Bronny James to a four-year guaranteed money deal

- Gave player options to D’Angelo Russell, Jaxson Hayes, Cam Reddish and Christian Wood, all whom picked up their option (for the league minimum by the way outside of DLo), handicapping your entire roster flexibility

- Failure to sign Buddy Hield this offseason, who was your former client when you were an agent

- Failure to sign Terry Stotts to your coaching staff three times

- Taking so long to build a coaching staff around J.J Redick that J.J doesn’t have the time to coach Summer League

Before you say he signed Anthony Davis which ultimately led to a championship, please remember this was the most obvious and necessary move in recent modern NBA history, with already having LeBron and Davis forcing his move to the Lakers as the only suitor
he’d sign an extension with.

And before you say he signed LeBron, LeBron CHOSE to sign with the Lakers after months of speculation, and reports he was leaning there. The  biggest influence in him landing in LA was actually Magic Johnson, not Pelinka.

So there you have it folks. This is what happens when you have personal, not professional relationships in your front office - accountability goes out the window. Does this look like someone that’s maximized the duo of LeBron and AD?

I’ll let you decide.

Bob

When it comes to the Lakers I’m reminded of my middle school gym teacher, Mr. Gilmartin. When handing out punishment (wooden paddle with holes drilled in it) he’d make us say “thank you sir, may I have another”. He’d continue until he decided that it was enough. When it comes to Laker woes, “thank you sir, may I have another”… to infinity and beyond!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:16 pm

Preaching to the choir here, BobH.  I've been asking for his resignation for the last two years based upon about a quarter's worth of evidence from your exhaustive list.  I don't know what Jeannie is looking for, what she has on him or what she sees in him.  Unless he actually is Row Lowe!!  Then that changes EVERYTHING!!!

Yet, we Celtics fans benefit IMMENSILY from his bumbling around like a fish out of water.  We'll have at least another year of absolute trash from the West Coast ahead of us and an infinite list of things to criticize the Lakers on as the Titanic heads further South.  Maybe we should back off and let nature take its course!!  Let's hope for a continued, very slow leak!!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:38 am

Read that he is going to be on Charles Lee's staff in Charlotte.  That means he still gets to be part of the game and can help young players develop.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:26 pm

Cameron Tabatabaie @CTabatabaie
about 1 hour ago
Adjusted for inflation, the previous NBA TV deal signed in 2014 was worth about $3.5 billion per year The NBA just inked a new 11-year, $76 billion dollar deal, worth about $6.9 billion per year

Bob
This deal begins in 2025-2026 (so next year!) and ends 2036-2037.  Now we know why Wyc's signing all these big contracts.   He's locking in the talent now knowing the pain will ease next year because the new TV contract will raise the salary cap (and aprons) significantly and thereby reduce the team’s luxury taxes.  The new owners will be walking into a guaranteed gold mine with a Championship caliber roster and they will be expected to bid accordingly.  Boy, Wyc and his father Irving are GOOD businessmen.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:49 pm

Bob,

Unfortunately, the cap will not have a huge jump in the first year of the new TV deal. That's what happened last time with a new contract and the league has made adjustments.

The salary cap is set to increase by a set rate of 10% each year. That's it.

Because existing contracts allow for a 8% raise year to year, that makes for only a 2% bit of headway on those.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:42 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 4 hours ago
New: Former Celtics big man Mike Muscala tells @jxlorenzi he is calling it a career at age 33

Bob
MY NOTE:  Not BIG Celtic news, but he did wear green, so...Moose played on 7 teams in his 11 years. That has to be close to some kind of record.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:40 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5625293/2024/07/16/nba-power-rankings-offseason-celtics-mavericks/?campaign=10475805&source=article_email&source=targeted_email&userId=13921316

NBA Power Rankings: Has your favorite team gotten better this offseason?

Zach Harper

Jul 16, 2024

How’s your summer? So much has been going on. We had an NBA Draft, Paul George and Klay Thompson grabbed new jerseys, we’re in the throes of summer league, and the Olympics will soon decide world supremacy in international hoops.

I know what you’re thinking: What a perfect time for some updated Power Rankings! And you’re right.

Reminder: The Power Rankings don’t just rank 30 teams. We divide them into tiers, which teams can move in and out of. We currently have the tiers broken into six categories:

Cooper Flagg Positioning — The 2025 draft class is potentially loaded with star talent.
Are they just filling out Play-In criteria? — They have to get to 10 teams somehow!
Play-In Tournament teams or better — They should be in the mix unless something disastrous happens.
Playoff teams — Teams that should only be happy with making the top six in their conference.
On the brink of contention — A piece away from us believing they can win the title.
Contenders — They are contending for the championship, barring a massive injury.

As always, I am sure we will all agree on the placement of all 30 teams, especially your favorite team.

Here’s how the Power Rankings work:

It’s up to my discretion how the rankings shake out. For some teams, they’ll be hit in the short term. Others will be given the benefit for the long term. Yes, it is entirely subjective.

If I have a team ahead of another team, there’s no reason to ask why they’re ranked above the team you like.
The answer is pretty simple: I think that team is set up better for success.

Yes, I watch the games. And yes, I watch your favorite team.

This is supposed to be fun, so let’s have fun.

With all that said, let’s dive into the summer edition of The Athletic’s NBA Power Rankings.

Tier 1 - The Contenders

1.  Boston Celtics

Last Rank - 1

Additions/re-signs: Luke Kornet, Xavier Tillman, Neemias Queta, Baylor Scheierman, Anton Watson

Subtractions: None

Did they get better? Not really, but the world champion Celtics don’t have to be much better. Boston locked up its core for at least the next two seasons and doled out big money to Jayson Tatum for his superstar extension. This team was the best in basketball last season and is coming off a dominant NBA Finals run. The Celtics remain the team to beat in the NBA, and the rest of the league has a lot of work to do to prove they can challenge them.

By the way, The Athletic’s commemorative book about the Celtics’ 2023-24 season is on sale now. Order a copy today. Books will ship on Aug. 2, 2024.

2.  Oklahoma City Thunder

Last Rank - 3

Additions/re-signs: Isaiah Hartenstein, Alex Caruso, Isaiah Joe, Aaron Wiggins, Nikola Topić

Subtractions: Josh Giddey, Lindy Waters III

Did they get better? Absolutely. The additions of Caruso and Hartenstein transform this team to pretty much complete. The only things that could get in the way are health and inexperience. Yes, the Thunder got a taste of the playoffs as a group last year, and their convincing first-round sweep of New Orleans was great, but OKC showed its youth in the second round and has to apply its lessons from that. This should be the team to beat in the West. It’ll have to handle having that target on its back from here on out.

3.  Dallas Mavericks

Last Rank - 5

Additions/re-signs: Melvin Ajinça, Naji Marshall, Klay Thompson, Quentin Grimes

Subtractions: Josh Green, Derrick Jones Jr., Tim Hardaway Jr.

Did they get better? In a word: yes. I love swapping out Jones for Marshall. Even though Thompson isn’t what he used to be, he’s still going to be a player opponents will be afraid to leave open. The Mavericks’ team defense might suffer a bit, but they’ll also have a full training camp with P.J. Washington and Daniel Gafford. I also think they pulled off the rarely successful salary dump by swapping Hardaway for Grimes, which helped them save money and get better.

4.  Minnesota Timberwolves

Last Rank - 4

Additions/re-signs: Joe Ingles, P.J. Dozier, Rob Dillingham, Luka Garza

Subtractions: Kyle Anderson, Monte Morris, Jordan McLaughlin, Wendell Moore Jr.

Did they get better? Not yet. I think the loss of Anderson will be significant. It’s been a few years since Ingles was super-effective on the court. If he can regain any of that magic, he’ll be a productive bench player. Dillingham (eighth overall pick) was a shrewd pickup on draft night, but this team might be too good for him to get significant time on the court. The 19-year-old lottery pick is probably a year away from being what they need.

5.  Denver Nuggets

Last Rank - 2

Additions/re-signs: DaRon Holmes, Dario Šarić

Subtractions: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Reggie Jackson

Did they get better? They did not. Losing Caldwell-Pope and replacing him internally will not help. I do like the Šarić addition. He’ll help replace Jeff Green’s departure from a year ago. The Nuggets are hoping a longer offseason will have them refreshed to get back in the title hunt, but the expected financial crunch from the top has affected this roster.

Tier 2 - Brink of Contention

6.  New York Knicks

Last Rank - 6

Additions/re-signs: Mikal Bridges, Pacôme Didet, Tyler Kolek, Kevin McCullar, Ariel Hukporti, OG Anunoby, Keita Bates-Diop, Cameron Payne

Subtractions: Isaiah Hartenstein, Alec Burks, Bojan Bogdanović, Shake Milton, Mamadi Diakite

Did they get better? Even though losing Hartenstein is big, I still think they got better with the Bridges move. If Mitchell Robinson can remain healthy (a big if), the Knicks can find a solid backup center to round out their rotation. If Robinson can’t remain healthy, then coach Tom Thibodeau has some tough decisions to make. The team chemistry will be off the charts. The Knicks can play many different styles, and their perimeter defense could be tremendous.

7.  New Orleans Pelicans

Last Rank - 9

Additions/re-signs: Yves Missi, Antonio Reeves, Dejounte Murray, Daniel Theis

Subtractions: Dyson Daniels, Larry Nance Jr., Naji Marshall, EJ Liddell, Jonas Valančiūnas, Cody Zeller

Did they get better? I think they did, but the Pelicans still need an answer at center with the departure of Valančiūnas. I love the addition of Murray. He didn’t fix the Hawks’ defensive issues, but he will absolutely bolster an elite defense in the NBA (New Orleans ranked sixth last season). I like the Theis addition, but I’m not sure New Orleans can utilize him as its full-time center. We have to see what happens with Brandon Ingram due to the team’s perimeter logjam.

8.  Philadelphia 76ers

Last Rank - 13

Additions/re-signs: Jared McCain, Paul George, Adem Bona, Kelly Oubre Jr., Eric Gordon, Andre Drummond, Caleb Martin

Subtractions: Nicolas Batum, Buddy Hield, De’Anthony Melton, Mo Bamba, Paul Reed, Cameron Payne

Did they get better? They absolutely got better. Depending on how you feel about Tyrese Maxey’s continued ascension, George is either Philly’s second or third star. Drummond could be massive for helping keep Joel Embiid healthy and maximized for a deep playoff run. Adding Martin was huge. But Embiid and the Sixers will still have plenty of questions to answer upon reaching the postseason … until they find their way into at least the conference finals.

9.  Milwaukee Bucks

Last Rank - 12

Additions/re-signs: AJ Johnson, Tyler Smith, Taurean Prince, Delon Wright

Subtractions: Malik Beasley

Did they get better? A little. I like the additions of Prince and Wright, though I’m not sure how much they move the team’s actual margins. Most of that will depend on how much Damian Lillard bounces back and meshes with Giannis Antetokounmpo. Khris Middleton being healthier than he’s been in recent years would also be huge. And, even though Doc Rivers wouldn’t wish taking this job on anybody, it’s on him to prove what this team can do with a full training camp.

Tier 3 - Playoff Teams

10.  Indiana Pacers

Last Rank - 17

Additions/re-signs: Johnny Furphy, Tristen Newton, Enrique Freeman, Pascal Siakam, Obi Toppin, James Wiseman

Subtractions: Jalen Smith

Did they get better? The Pacers are the latest team to take a chance on making the 23-year-old Wiseman a thing in the NBA. He’ll be tasked with replacing Smith in some way, but the Pacers are mostly the same team from last season. That’s not a bad thing considering they appeared in the conference finals. Indiana will try to find more defensive balance while maintaining its high-octane offense.

11.  Orlando Magic

Last Rank - 15

Additions/re-signs: Tristan da Silva, Gary Harris, Goga Bitadze, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Mo Wagner

Subtractions: Joe Ingles

Did they get better? Definitely. I’d still love for them to find a way for Tyus Jones to be their main point guard, but I love what the Magic did after a super-successful season for such a young team. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will give a great presence on the perimeter. They still need more shot-makers, but that problem is more solvable if Franz Wagner can shoot the basketball again (career-low 28.1 percent last season, 35.9 percent clip through first two). The Magic, as is, are capable of winning 50 games next season.

12.  Phoenix Suns

Last Rank - 8

Additions/re-signs: Ryan Dunn, Oso Ighodaro, Mason Plumlee, Monte Morris, Bol Bol, Royce O’Neale, Damion Lee

Subtractions: Drew Eubanks, Eric Gordon

Did they get better? I do think the Suns are slightly better. Mason Plumlee should be an upgrade over Drew Eubanks. Monte Morris is a better fit for their backcourt needs than Eric Gordon. Ultimately, this comes down to how this team performs under new coach Mike Budenholzer. Will the stars be healthier and more accountable in championship-building tendencies? Can they get Bradley Beal to care in that way? Will Kevin Durant, who turns 36 in September, hold up physically with everything he’s asked to do? The Suns have ample talent but still so many questions.

13.  Golden State Warriors

Last Rank - 10

Additions/re-signs: Lindy Waters III, Buddy Hield, Kyle Anderson, De’Anthony Melton

Subtractions: Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, Dario Šarić

Did they get better? I actually think they did. Losing Thompson is a gut punch due to nostalgia and his place in franchise history. His replacement Hield can really shoot the ball, though. Anderson is a good defender and playmaker. Melton, when healthy, is a huge difference-maker in the backcourt. The Warriors feel a bit more balanced and reliable, as long as Draymond Green stops getting suspended.

14.  Sacramento Kings

Last Rank - 14

Additions/re-signs: Devin Carter, Jalen McDaniels, Alex Len, Malik Monk, DeMar DeRozan, Jordan McLaughlin

Subtractions: Harrison Barnes, Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, Sasha Vezenkov

Did they get better? I love what the Kings did and do not understand the negativity surrounding the DeMar DeRozan sign-and-trade move. Sacramento absolutely got better, but its defense will remain as shaky as the prior two seasons. Carter was one of my favorite players in the draft. The Kings will be in the mix for top six in the West.

15.  Cleveland Cavaliers

Last Rank - 16

Additions/re-signs: Jaylon Tyson

Did they get better? The Cavs believed coach J.B. Bickerstaff, not their roster construction, was the problem, so they replaced him with Kenny Atkinson and are hoping they can keep their defensive prowess while boosting offensive output. The Cavs’ big offseason move was signing Donovan Mitchell to his extension. Now, do they make decisions between Jarrett Allen and Evan Mobley? (The wise move is picking Mobley.) Do they move Darius Garland?

Tier 4 - Play-In Tournament Teams Or Better

16.  Los Angeles Lakers

Last Rank - 11

Additions/re-signs: Dalton Knecht, Bronny James, LeBron James, Max Christie

Subtractions: Taurean Prince

Did they get better? No, they haven’t, no offense to Knecht and Bronny. The Lakers seem stuck in neutral with their roster construction. They’re hoping JJ Redick replacing Darvin Ham as coach will be a massive improvement. Maintaining last season’s health would also be good. And the Lakers remain patient in thinking a significant trade will eventually materialize to boost things. For a team that needs a big man next to Anthony Davis, the Lakers seem to have failed in adding a necessary role player there. And banking on Davis and an almost 40-year-old LeBron staying as healthy as they did last season is a huge risk.

17.  LA Clippers

Last Rank - 7

Additions/re-signs: Cam Christie, Nicolas Batum, Kevin Porter Jr., Derrick Jones Jr., James Harden, Mo Bamba

Subtractions: Paul George, Mason Plumlee, Daniel Theis

Did they get better? Absolutely not. The Clippers have done an admirable job of filling in gaps due to George’s departure, bringing in Batum, Jones and Porter as replacements. The problem is those players don’t combine into one player on the court. The Clippers are already managing Kawhi Leonard’s knee after his Olympic departure. They’re hoping James Harden will be back to his old ways of carrying star-level responsibility. The Clippers are still good but are on shaky ground as they enter their new arena.

18.  Memphis Grizzlies

Last Rank - 24

Additions/re-signs: Zach Edey, Jaylen Wells, Cam Spencer

Did they get better? It depends on what you believe rookie Edey (ninth overall pick) can be at the NBA level. The Grizzlies are going to be better simply because Ja Morant will be back in action. We saw his impact on the team in his nine appearances last season before his season-ending shoulder injury (6-3 record, improved team’s net rating by 7.4 points in 318 minutes). It was a reminder of how dynamic Morant is. A healthy Grizzlies team is a playoff squad. Memphis needs a center next to Jaren Jackson Jr. on the court. It moved Steven Adams last year and will try to make Edey a thing. It could be the difference between the top six in the West and battling for the Play-In.

19.  Houston Rockets

Last Rank - 21

Additions/re-signs: Reed Sheppard, AJ Griffin, Aaron Holiday

Did they get better? Not really, but I’m not sure the Rockets needed to get better this offseason. They could still pull off a big trade with their resources. I’m not a big believer in Reed Sheppard, and I mostly think he’s a backup guard in the NBA. But this team is so loaded with talent and showed how dangerous it can be last season. Jalen Green turned the corner late in the season. Alperen Şengün is a star. The Rockets are for real by just sticking to the status quo.

20.  Miami Heat

Last Rank - 18

Additions/re-signs: Kel’el Ware, Pelle Larsson, Thomas Bryant, Haywood Highsmith, Kevin Love, Alec Burks

Subtractions: Caleb Martin, Orlando Robinson

Did they get better? Not at all. Losing Martin matters, and it feels like the Heat were waiting for the Mitchell-Cavaliers thing to fall apart. Now, they’re left trying to figure out how to build back their culture and turn into a major player in the East again. All of this is contingent on how much Jimmy Butler, who turns 35 in September, has left and if they want to maintain that partnership. The Heat, once again, will look for the diamond in the rough to fill in for departed players.

Tier 5 - Are they just filling out Play-In criteria

21.  San Antonio Spurs

Last Rank - 23

Additions/re-signs: Chris Paul, Stephon Castle, Harrison Ingram, Harrison Barnes

Subtractions: Devonte’ Graham

Did they get better? Absolutely. I love the Spurs’ offseason so far. They brought in two very important veterans to raise the professionalism and approach of a team that was just throwing things against a wall to see what sticks last season. I think Castle will probably be the best player in this draft. And with Victor Wembanyama, all things are possible. This could be a Play-In team, even in the loaded West.

22.  Atlanta Hawks

Last Rank - 20

Additions/re-signs: Zaccharie Risacher, Larry Nance Jr., Dyson Daniels, Nikola Djurisic, EJ Liddell, Cody Zeller, Vit Krejci

Subtractions: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin, Saddiq Bey

Did they get better? They did not, but they’re hoping there is addition by subtraction here. The Murray-Trae Young backcourt didn’t raise their level. Risacher doesn’t have the expectations of most No. 1 overall picks. Daniels could be a nice development project. Ultimately, the Hawks have switched out coaches and changed the main guys around Young. If this team is still mediocre, then what’s the next move?

23.  Toronto Raptors

Last Rank - 26

Additions/re-signs: Ja’Kobe Walter, Jonathan Mogbo, Davion Mitchell, Sasha Vezenkov, Jamal Shead, Ulrich Chomche, Immanuel Quickley, Garrett Temple

Subtractions: Jalen McDaniels

Did they get better? I think they’re mostly the same. We’ll see what happens with Gary Trent Jr. and his free agency. For the most part, the Raptors were so bad last season because they went hard on the tanking front to protect a pick they didn’t even keep. They’re banking on Scottie Barnes, Immanuel Quickley and RJ Barrett leading their future. The big money to Quickley greatly increases expectations for him. He now has to play like a franchise point guard.

Tier 6 - Cooper Flagg positioning

24.  Utah Jazz

Last Rank - 25

Additions/re-signs: Cody Williams, Isaiah Collier, Kyle Filipowski, Drew Eubanks

Subtractions: Kris Dunn, Omer Yurtseven

Did they get better? We’re in a wait-and-see mode as far as gauging whether the Jazz improved. This will all depend on Lauri Markannen’s future with the team. Utah should be tanking to go after one of the top prospects in the 2025 draft. It’s something the Jazz should’ve done two years ago with Wembanyama available. I love the pickups of Cody Williams (10th overall pick) and Isaiah Collier (29th overall). The Jazz have a strong youth movement but still need that top prospect to develop and lead the rebuild.

25.  Chicago Bulls

Last Rank - 19

Additions/re-signs: Matas Buzelis, Josh Giddey, Jalen Smith, Patrick Williams, Chris Duarte

Subtractions: Alex Caruso, DeMar DeRozan, Andre Drummond

Did they get better? Welcome to the teardown of the Bulls … something that should’ve happened a year or two ago. Caruso, DeRozan and Drummond were some of the best Bulls last season. Chicago is now going heavy with its youth movement, which should eventually lead to Nikola Vučević and maybe Zach LaVine getting moved. The Bulls are a lot worse now, and it’s a good idea.

26.  Detroit Pistons

Last Rank - 30

Additions/re-signs: Ron Holland, Tobias Harris, Wendell Moore Jr., Bobi Klintman, Simone Fontecchio, Malik Beasley, Tim Hardaway Jr., Paul Reed

Subtractions: Quentin Grimes, James Wiseman

Did they get better? The main addition here is J.B. Bickerstaff taking over as head coach for the recently fired Monty Williams. The Pistons had an atrocious coaching influence last season. They had to trade Isaiah Livers and waive Killian Hayes just to get Williams to stop playing them. Holland (fifth overall pick) is an interesting project. Harris is there to raise the floor of the team. Above all, the Pistons just need to provide Cunningham with actual help to see where his ceiling is.

27.  Portland Trail Blazers

Last Rank - 27

Additions/re-signs: Donovan Clingan, Deni Avdija

Subtractions: Malcolm Brogdon

Did they get better? As of right now, the Blazers are mostly running it back with a squad that really struggled last season. And they still want to build with guys like Scoot Henderson, Anfernee Simons and Shaedon Sharpe. Clingan was taken with the seventh pick, so they’re hoping he can provide the defensive anchor Deandre Ayton couldn’t. With Brogdon out, Henderson will get the keys full-time.

28.  Charlotte Hornets

Last Rank - 28

Additions/re-signs: Tidjane Salaun, Miles Bridges, Josh Green, Reggie Jackson, Seth Curry

Subtractions: Davis Bertans, Bryce McGowens, Aleksej Pokusevski

Did they get better? The Hornets have gone through massive organizational changes in terms of new ownership, management and coaching. The roster? We haven’t seen big changes yet, so that’s going to remain a work in progress. We know they have a star with LaMelo Ball. They have a budding star with Brandon Miller. Charlotte decided to bring back Miles Bridges. There are hints of solid role players, but next season will mostly be about how new coach Charles Lee changes Charlotte’s culture of losing.

29.  Brooklyn Nets

Last Rank - 22

Additions/re-signs: Nic Claxton, Bojan Bogdanović, Shake Milton, Mamadi, Diakite, Trendon Watford

Subtractions: Mikal Bridges, Keita Bates-Diop

Did they get better? Not at all. The Nets are gearing up for a teardown and rebuild through the draft. They regained some control of their draft situation in their move with the Rockets, so they’re going to reset everything. Sending out Bridges for a handful of first-round picks was the white flag. Bringing back Claxton could provide a big trade piece for them at the deadline. This is Cam Thomas’ team now … at least for next season.

30.  Washington Wizards

Last Rank - 29

Additions/re-signs: Alex Sarr, Bub Carrington, Malcolm Brogdon, Jonas Valančiūnas, Richaun Holmes, Saddiq Bey

Subtractions: Deni Avdija, Landry Shamet

Did they get better? I want this to be a yes. It will largely depend on how ready to play Sarr is. This year’s second overall pick has fun potential, but he could have a rough transition to the NBA. If they retain Tyus Jones (current free agent), that could also help. If Brogdon actually plays for Washington, the team would also benefit from that. If not, you’re relying on Jordan Poole to be better in Year 2 with the Wizards. As someone who predicted Poole for the scoring title last season, I’m staying far away from that concept.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:58 pm

MY NOTE:  And now for your "feel good" story of the year", if not decade...

https://hoopshype.com/2024/07/16/nate-robinson-has-received-thousands-of-offers-for-kidney-donations/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=5067485

Nate Robinson has received 'thousands' of offers for kidney donations

On April 10, the Daily Mail published an interview describing the severity of his situation, in which Robinson said he didn’t know how long he’d ultimately live if he didn’t receive a new kidney. Tank Johnson again reached out, and this time Robinson gave his blessing. So Johnson helped narrate a video that aired on the jumbotron during the University of Washington’s spring football game in Seattle on May 3. In that video, viewers were directed to a university site where they could fill out a form to see if they were the right match for a kidney donation. A few days later, on May 6, the school tweeted out the same information. Soon after, on May 18, Crawford tweeted Johnson’s video call to action, saying, “We need everyone with this one.” On the same day, Robinson shared the video to his Instagram. Then, as hundreds of thousands of people wanting transplants do, he waited for a response. About a week later, it arrived. Robinson was driving through Seattle when he received word from a friend who had been in touch with UW. The school had been inundated with offers from people willing to donate their kidneys. “Thousands,” Nate Robinson said.

Source: ESPN

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:39 pm

https://talksport.com/sport/1906476/vinnie-johnson-detroit-pistons-net-worth-billion-steph-curry/

Forgotten Pistons star worth half a billion dollars is richest NBA player you’ve never heard of – with bigger net worth than Steph Curry

Joshua Rogers

Published: 13:39, 5 Jun 2024Updated: 11:03, 7 Jun 2024

Vinnie Johnson achieved a lot as an NBA player.

Nicknamed 'the Microwave' for his ability to score quickly off the bench, Johnson was a member of the Bad Boy Detroit Pistons in the late '80s and early '90s that won back-to-back NBA titles.

Around The League 2024-2025 Season JohnsonN_91NSB_6640-JS772924704
Johnson won two titles with the PistonsCredit: Getty

The former guard was selected with the 7th overall pick in the 1979 NBA Draft after a collegiate career at McLennan Community College in Waco, Texas, and Baylor.

He was drafted by the Seattle Supersonics and two years later was a member of the Pistons.

The 6ft 2in star was mainly a sixth man and would usually come off the bench for either Isiah Thomas or Joe Dumars.

He was part of the no-nonsense Pistons squad that roughed Michael Jordan up during his early years with their uncompromising 'Jordan Rules'.

In the 1990 NBA Finals, Johnson made a championship-clinching 14-foot shot with 0.7 seconds left to beat the Portland Trail Blazers 92–90 in Game 5.

That captured Detroit's second straight world title and earned Johnson the nickname '007.'

He spent the latter part of his career with the San Antonio Spurs and retired in 1992 with 11,825 points, 3,212 assists and 3,109 rebounds for his career.

Johnson's No. 15 jersey was also retired by the Pistons organization.

He retired in 1992 having 'only' earned $6 million

Johnson is richer than four-time NBA champion Curry

He famously only earned around $6 million during his basketball career between 1979 and 1992.

Now, the 67-year-old is worth an estimated $500 million, meaning he's richer than Lakers legend Shaquille O'Neal ($400 million net worth) as well as current stars Steph Curry ($180 million) and Kevin Durant ($300 million).

After retiring, Johnson founded an automotive company called the Piston Group in 1995 - the world’s largest value add assembly supplier.

The company achieved huge success supplying car parts for major international companies, particularly the Ford Motor Company and General Motors.

Johnson is founder, chairman and CEO of the company, and has accumulated a staggering personal net worth.

The Piston Group generates around $3 billion in annual revenue and employs over 11,500 people in 3.5 million square feet of facilities around the US.

These days he is worth half a billion dollars

Johnson has also served as the Chairman of the Board of Directors for the joint ventures JL Automotive, LLC and PASA Modules, LLC.

In addition to his philanthropy and charity work, Vinnie is a member of the Michigan Minority Business Development Council, and the Detroit Chamber of Commerce.

It's fair to say Johnson has done pretty well for himself.

His success off the court, at least financially, far exceeds what he managed on the court.

Johnson's business acumen and entrepreneurial spirit has seen him generate hundreds of millions of dollars and become one of the richest former athletes in the world.

One you've probably not even heard of.

However, as rich as Johnson might be, he's still not as rich as another forgotten NBA star.

Former Milwaukee Bucks star Junior Bridgeman made 'only' $350,000 a year during his playing days.

Now, though, he's richer than Shaquille O'Neal with an eye-popping $600 million fortune.

Still, he has a way to go to catch the wealthiest NBA stars of all time.

Three current/former NBA players are currently billionaires: LeBron James ($1bn), Earvin 'Magic' Johnson ($1.2bn) and Michael Jordan ($3bn).

Jordan reached billionaire status in 2016. His immensely popular Jordan brand, famous for the Nike's Air Jordan sneakers, is a large reason why.

Steph Curry, meanwhile, had made his $180 million fortune on and off the court.

In 2017, the NBA's all-time leader in 3-pointers signed the league's first $200 million contract with the Golden State Warriors.

Last year, he received $75 million worth of shares in sportswear company Under Armour and became president of its Curry Brand, which sits under the Under Armour umbrella.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:52 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-offseason-grades-for-every-team-in-the-east-76ers-celtics-earn-high-marks-others-get-d-135751647.html

NBA offseason grades for every team in the East: 76ers, Celtics earn high marks, others get 'D'

Ben Rohrbach

Senior writer

Tue, Jul 23, 2024, 6:57 AM PDT·14 min read

We are nearing the midway point between the end of the NBA Finals and the start of training camp, and most of the league's offseason business is done. A dwindling contingent of players, including Tyus Jones, Luke Kennard and Markelle Fultz, remains unsigned, but it is unlikely any of them swings a championship.

So we feel comfortable issuing report cards for each of the Eastern Conference's 15 teams. Here goes ...

Atlanta Hawks

PICKS: Zaccharie Risacher (No. 1) • Nikola Đurišić (No. 43)
IN: Dyson Daniels • Larry Nance Jr. • Cody Zeller
OUT: Dejounte Murray • Saddiq Bey • Wesley Matthews
DEALS: Zeller (3 years, $11 million) • Vit Krejci (4 years, $10 million)

The Hawks lucked into the No. 1 overall pick, moving nine spots up in the lottery, and from there it is difficult to earn a bad offseason grade. They pegged Risacher as the best prospect in an underwhelming draft class. The 6-foot-9 wing is heralded for his defense, and he shot 38.7% from 3-point range for his French league team last season. Theoretically, he fills a position of need on a Trae Young-heavy roster.

Atlanta deemed its Young-Murray backcourt a failure two years into the experiment and dealt Murray to the New Orleans Pelicans. The Hawks did a decent job recouping the assets they traded for Murray, securing two first-round draft picks in addition to Daniels, Nance and Zeller. The 21-year-old Daniels, a top-10 pick in 2022, is full of potential, and the veteran Nance will be a benefit both on and off the court.

GRADE: B

Boston Celtics

PICKS: Baylor Scheierman (No. 30) • Anton Watson (No. 54)
DEALS: Jayson Tatum (5 years, $314 million) • Derrick White (4 years, $118 million) • Sam Hauser (4 years, $45 million) • Xavier Tillman (2 years, $4.8 million) • Luke Kornet (1 year, $2.8 million)

What do we want from a champion? A legitimate title defense, and the Celtics have gotten the band back together with aplomb. They returned every member of the rotation but Oshae Brissett, who could still re-sign. Kornet and Tillman already opted to return on minimum deals. An injection of Scheierman, the final pick of the first round, should also inspire some healthy competition among the team's reserves.

Extensions for Tatum and White locked up Boston's top six for next season and its vaunted starting lineup for at least the next two seasons. Tatum's contract was a foregone conclusion. White and Hauser accepted slight discounts from what they could have earned next summer, when they were eligible to become free agents. The Celtics' tax bill will soar in 2025, but that is a concern for a different day — or someone else, if you are the team's ownership group, which announced its intent to sell the storied franchise.

GRADE: A

Brooklyn Nets

IN: Bojan Bogdanović • Shake Milton • Ziaire Williams
OUT: Mikal Bridges • Keita Bates-Diop • Dennis Smith Jr.
DEALS: Nicolas Claxton (4 years, $97 million) • Milton (3 years, $9.2 million)

Claxton is an average starting center, so a near-nine-figure deal for solid defense and limited offense feels steep, but the Nets likely could return equal value if they decide to move the 25-year-old's contract.

The big news of Brooklyn's summer was the Bridges trade, and the Nets managed to extract a king's ransom from the New York Knicks, receiving the rights to six first-round draft picks in return. Not only that, but they retrieved their own first-round picks in 2025 and 2026 from the Houston Rockets, clearing the way for a two-year tanking period. At least Brooklyn has its direction in the post-Kevin Durant era.

GRADE: B-

Charlotte Hornets

PICKS: Tidjane Salaün (No. 6) • KJ Simpson (No. 42)
IN: Josh Green • Reggie Jackson • Taj Gibson
OUT: Dāvis Bertāns • Aleksej Pokusevski • Bryce McGowens
DEALS: Miles Bridges (3 years, $75 million)

The Hornets rightfully leaned into youth, drafting Salaün, who has as much upside as anyone in his class, and acquiring Green, a 23-year-old who cracked an NBA Finals rotation last season. Charlotte also added some second-round draft capital in exchange for taking Jackson's deal off the Denver Nuggets' hands.

At the same time, the Hornets recommitted to their existing core through the 2026-27 season, signing Bridges for the next three seasons. They owe a combined $97 million to Bridges, Green, LaMelo Ball and Grant Williams in 2026-27, when Brandon Miller will be in line for his rookie-scale extension. Charlotte's success will entirely depend on the development of that core under new head coach Charles Lee, which is a fine plan, though I am not sure there is a paradigm-shifter in that mix. Maybe Salaün will be the savior.

Chicago Bulls

PICKS: Matas Buzelis (No. 11)
IN: Josh Giddey • Jalen Smith • Chris Duarte
OUT: DeMar DeRozan • Alex Caruso • Andre Drummond
DEALS: Patrick Williams (5 years, $90 million) • Smith (3 years, $27 million)

The Bulls drafted Buzelis, a hometown kid who has shown promise in summer league, and acquired Giddey, a 21-year-old who has shown promise at the NBA level. This is good work, as is the decision to (finally) embrace a rebuild. Chicago has been stuck in the league's dreaded middle for some time now, and choosing a direction, even if it is a downward spin, at least lays out the front office's game plan.

You know what might have helped this plan? Trading DeRozan, Caruso and Drummond — all of whom held some value — before the February deadline. The Bulls instead received just two second-round draft picks for the lot of them. They also committed $117 million to Williams and Smith, a pair of players whose NBA futures are uncertain at best. Nothing about this summer in Chicago screamed "maximizing value."

GRADE: D+

Cleveland Cavaliers

PICKS: Jaylon Tyson (No. 20)
DEALS: Evan Mobley (5 years, $224 million), Donovan Mitchell (3 years, $150 million)

The Cavaliers cemented their most important players, Mitchell and Mobley, as franchise cornerstones. Mitchell is signed through the 2026-27 season, when he holds a $53.8 million player option, and Mobley has been extended through the 2029-30 campaign, when he will be owed $51 million. Assuming Mitchell is content in Cleveland and Mobley continues to develop, they are the foundation of a near-50-win team.

How well the Cavaliers perform in the playoffs depends on how they manage the redundancies on the roster. Mitchell and backcourt mate Darius Garland both need the ball to be at their best, while Mobley and fellow big Jarrett Allen are both non-shooters. The Cavaliers did nothing to address these issues, other than ousting head coach J.B. Bickerstaff in favor of Kenny Atkinson. The latter may extract more from this misfit group of All-Star-caliber players, but their collective shortcomings are not going away.

Detroit Pistons

PICKS: Ron Holland (No. 5) • Bobi Klintman (No. 37)
IN: Tobias Harris • Malik Beasley • Tim Hardaway Jr. • Paul Reed
OUT: Quentin Grimes • James Wiseman • Evan Fournier • Malachi Flynn
DEALS: Cade Cunningham (5 years, $224 million) • Harris (2 years, $52 million) • Simone Fontecchio (2 years, $16 million) • Beasley (1 year, $6 million)

The Pistons rebuilt much of their roster. In what direction is unclear. They probably could have squeezed more draft capital or kept Grimes in exchange for assuming Hardaway's expiring contract. Draft experts seem split on Holland. They had little choice but to grant Cunningham his max contract, despite only 138 games to support their evaluation. They had plenty of choice about paying Harris a $52 million contract.

Detroit did surround Cunningham with some shooting. Harris, Beasley and Hardaway can all space the floor. None can defend it all that well, which will be a problem on a team that rated 25th in that regard last season. Claiming Reed off waivers was smart, but he clogs an already inflexible frontcourt. Even the good decisions have a downside. In other words: This summer feels like treading water for a 14-win team.

GRADE: C-

Indiana Pacers

PICKS: Johnny Furphy (No. 35)
IN: James Wiseman
OUT: Jalen Smith
DEALS: Pascal Siakam (4 years, $189 million) • Obi Toppin (4 years, $58 million) • Wiseman (2 years, $4.8 million)

As expected, the Pacers re-signed Siakam and Toppin from a roster that reached the Eastern Conference finals last season. That is a fine bit of business, even if it means paying a max contract to a fringe All-Star.

Indiana made minimal improvements, adding Furphy in the draft and Wiseman in free agency. Furphy could be a find at the top of the second round, and Wiseman was the No. 2 overall pick in 2020. Both are unlikely to meaningfully contribute to marked improvement this season. The Pacers seem satisfied with the status quo, hoping development raises their ceiling as they lay in wait for their next trade upgrade.

GRADE: C

Miami Heat

PICKS: Kel'el Ware (No. 15) • Pelle Larsson (No. 44)
IN: Alec Burks
OUT: Caleb Martin • Delon Wright
Deals: Bam Adebayo (3 years, $165 million) • Haywood Highsmith (2 years, $10.8 million) • Kevin Love (2 years, $8 million)

The Heat lost Martin to the Philadelphia 76ers for less than they offered him in the lead-up to free agency. They wanted him. Martin was instrumental to Miami's 2023 NBA Finals run, nearly winning Eastern Conference finals MVP honors. He did not sustain that success this past season, but losing anyone who can perform at that level is a problem, especially without a replacement. They did land Burks, who only cracked the New York Knicks' playoff rotation once they exhausted any alternatives, and Ware, the latest embodiment of Heat Culture.

Meanwhile, the Heat have made public their unwillingness to offer Jimmy Butler the maximum extension he desires. Their hesitancy to commit long term to a 35-year-old is not misguided, but there should be some concern about how Butler will respond to their stance. Miami cannot afford to lose Butler's trust.

GRADE: D+

Milwaukee Bucks

PICKS: AJ Johnson (No. 23) • Tyler Smith (No. 33)
IN: Gary Trent Jr. • Taurean Prince • Delon Wright
OUT: Malik Beasley • Patrick Beverley • Jae Crowder • Danilo Gallinari

The Bucks did not have a lot to work with. They had the No. 23 overall pick in the draft and selected Johnson, a 19-year-old project who may not contribute to their championship pursuit in the near future. There was some consideration that Milwaukee could package that pick with Bobby Portis and/or Pat Connaughton for another contributor, but any discussion has yet to yield the return the Bucks needed.

Instead, they reshuffled their veterans, adding Trent, Prince and Wright. Both Trent and Prince shot nearly 40% on a handful of 3-point attempts per game last season and represent a slight upgrade on defense. Wright is a fine replacement for Beverley at the backup point guard position. All three can fill out a playoff rotation. How much they swing Milwaukee's fortunes in the postseason is still a question.

New York Knicks

PICKS: Pacôme Dadiet (No. 25) • Tyler Kolek (No. 34) • Ariel Hukporti (No. 58)
IN: Mikal Bridges • Keita Bates-Diop • Cameron Payne
OUT: Isaiah Hartenstein • Alec Burks • Shake Milton
DEALS: OG Anunoby (5 years, $213 million) • Jalen Brunson (4 years, $157 million)

The Knicks paid Anunoby $42.5 million per season and lost Hartenstein. Anunoby is no All-Star, though his on/off rating (+23.9 points per 100 meaningful possessions) edged MVP Nikola Jokić for the league's best mark. He had to be paid, and he is worth it if he makes the same drastic impact. Hartenstein may have been worth it, too, but the Knicks could not match the Oklahoma City Thunder's $87 million offer.

Brunson's decision to accept a far lesser extension than he would have been eligible for next season offsets some of the overpay to Anunoby and enables the Knicks to pursue a Hartenstein replacement more freely. The big coup for New York, though, was the acquisition of Bridges, who amplifies the vibes generated by fellow former Villanova Wildcats Brunson, Josh Hart and Donte DiVincenzo. Bridges and Anunoby should form a dynamic defensive wing duo, a counter to Boston's Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

GRADE: A-

Orlando Magic

PICKS: Tristan Da Silva (No. 18)
IN: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
OUT: Joe Ingles
DEALS: Franz Wagner (5 years, $224 million) • Jonathan Isaac (5 years, $84 million) • Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (3 years, $66 million) • Goga Bitadze (3 years, $25 million) • Moe Wagner (2 years, $22 million) • Gary Harris (2 years, $15 million)

The Magic plucked Caldwell-Pope from the Denver Nuggets and paired him with Jalen Suggs in a backcourt that ranks among the league's best defensively. Orlando desperately needed shooting around Franz Wagner and Paolo Banchero, and Caldwell-Pope shot 40.6% on 4.1 attempts from distance last season.

Orlando also did $370 million worth of business with their existing roster, including a maximum rookie-scale contract extension for Wagner, whose 28.1% clip from 3-point range last season raised red flags. He needs to be better in order to live up to that contract. Likewise, Isaac needs to be healthier to meet the value of his deal. Sometimes you have to live with some question marks when you are in a small market.

Philadelphia 76ers

PICKS: Jared McCain (No. 16) • Adem Bona (No. 41)
IN: Paul George • Caleb Martin • Eric Gordon • Andre Drummond
OUT: Tobias Harris • Nicolas Batum • Paul Reed • De'Anthony Melton • Buddy Hield
DEALS: George (4 years, $212 million) • Tyrese Maxey (5 years, $204 million) • Martin (4 years, $35 million) • Kelly Oubre Jr. (2 years, $16.3 million) • KJ Martin (2 years, $16 million) • Drummond (2 years, $10 million) • Gordon (2 years, $6.8 million)

The Sixers had a one-year window with maximum salary cap space and a single player to fill it, which is why landing George was so significant. Plan B was a scramble at best. George fits on the wing between Joel Embiid and Maxey, who got his own max extension. Few Big Threes make as much sense. Of course, Philadelphia just paired an injury-plagued 34-year-old with the injury-plagued 30-year-old Embiid. Not doing so could have meant losing Embiid's commitment, which left the Sixers with little other choice.

They also did well to construct a playoff rotation, re-signing Oubre and Kyle Lowry, swiping Caleb Martin from Miami and adding both Drummond and Gordon. That could have gone a lot worse, too. When disaster is the alternative, it is hard to ask for anything better than emerging from free agency a legit contender.

GRADE: A

Toronto Raptors

PICKS: Ja'Kobe Walter (No. 19) • Jonathan Mogbo (No. 31) • Jamal Shead (No. 45) • Ulrich Chomche (No. 57)
OUT: Gary Trent Jr.
DEALS: Scottie Barnes (5 years, $224 million) • Immanuel Quickley (5 years, $175 million)

The amount of talent Toronto has lost to free agency is startling. Trent is not a game-changing talent, but he is the latest representation of a suspect strategy. The Raptors traded Norman Powell for Trent in 2021, gave Trent a three-year, $51.8 million contract and did nothing to improve over the life of the deal. Weird.

They also lost the No. 8 overall pick in this year's draft, Rob Dillingham, because they sought Jakob Poeltl in 2021. Poeltl is now working on a $78 million deal. Toronto did land several picks, including Walter and Mogbo, via trades of Anunoby and Siakam, which also resulted in a $175 million payment to Quickley — a wild overpay. There are few teams in the league with less of a clear direction than the post-title Raptors.

GRADE: D

Washington Wizards

PICKS: Alex Sarr (No. 2) • Bub Carrington (No. 14) • Kyshawn George (No. 24)
IN: Jonas Valančiūnas • Malcolm Brogdon • Saddiq Bey
OUT: Deni Avdija • Tyus Jones • Landry Shamet
DEALS: Valančiūnas (3 years, $30 million), Bey (3 years, $19 million)

The Wizards finally embraced a rebuild last season, when the draft class was the worst in some time, and they came away with the Nos. 2, 14 and 24 overall picks (Sarr, Carrington and George). They are the most recent representation of hope in Washington, where the Wiz have not won a playoff series in nine years.

One of the last potential saviors was Avdija, a recent No. 7 overall pick who the Wizards shipped to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Brogdon, the rights to Carrington and an additional future first-round pick. Avdija is good, and the Wizards should not want to get rid of good, young players, but they were due to pay him soon, and they are far from relevancy. All in all, Washington embraced its youth movement (smart) and cheaply added both Brogdon and Valančiūnas to shepherd its youth (also smart).

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:04 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5656665/2024/07/24/nba-media-rights-deal-nbc-tv/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=13921316

Sunday Night Basketball on NBC — part of new NBA media rights deal — could be a hit

Around The League 2024-2025 Season GettyImages-460992051-1-1024x683
OAKLAND, CA - 1995: The NBA on NBC displayed on the scorers table during a game played circa 1995 at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, California  (Photo by Brad Mangin/NBAE via Getty Images)

By Richard Deitsch

Jul 24, 2024

Some titles just have a sweet sound and “Sunday Night Basketball” is such a thing. It sounds like a program an NBA fan would want to check out. We’ve seen what NBC has done with its primetime Sunday NFL package — Sunday Night Football has been the No. 1-ranked show in primetime for 13 consecutive years and last year averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 21.4 million — and while no sane person would argue that the NBA and the NFL are equal in terms of popularity among American sports fans, it’s NBC’s acquisition of a Sunday Night window for the NBA that has my interest piqued.

By now many of you have seen the litany of elements NBC received from the NBA when it comes to NBC Universal’s 11-year, $2.5 billion deal with the league. Those rights include an NBA conference finals in six of the 11 years of the deal: 100 NBA national games each regular season across NBC and Peacock; first-round playoff games that will be exclusive in all markets; approximately 50 Peacock-exclusive national regular-season and postseason NBA games, including national Monday night games and doubleheaders. There’s also six NBA Conference Finals series (every other year beginning with 2025-26 season); “NBA Tip-Off” doubleheader each season; the rights to NBA All-Star Saturday Night and the NBA All Star Game on NBC and Peacock; more than 50 regular season WNBA games between Peacock, USA and NBC; the WNBA conference finals in 2026, 2028, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2034 and 2036; the WNBA Finals in 2026, 2030, and 2034; USA Basketball men’s and women’s games; the return of “Roundball Rock,”  and what we are writing about here – Sunday Night Basketball after the NFL season concludes.

We are a long way from the debut Sunday Night Basketball telecast, but the working premise is to air something that resembles the Sunday Night Football franchise, including amplified production values for games. Matchups will feature best on best or teams with a national draw and Rick Cordella, the president of NBC Sports, says the overarching goal is to air an hour-long pregame show leading into the games, which will serve as “the paper of record for the league” as well as provide highlights, analysis and entertaining discussion.

“We hope to have a fantastic studio show and studio talent around what we see as the game of the week and we will use our team appearances working closely with the NBA on making it the best matchup that we possibly can have at that point of the season,” Cordella said. “We’ve obviously had a lot of success on Sunday Football. I’d love to say someone had a eureka moment coming up with the idea for Sunday Night Basketball but I think it was just natural to us at NBC Sports that this would be a franchise we wanted to create outside of football season. Certainly we have a (broadcast) window open there (after the NFL season). We pitched it to the NBA and it’s an easy to understand concept.”

The NBA reportedly worked with other partners to make Sunday evenings free for NBC where Disney/ESPN has Sunday afternoon NBA games. In theory, Sunday Night Basketball will debut the Sunday after Super Bowl LV, which will be played on Feb. 8, 2026, in Santa Clara. One big wrinkle is that date coincides with the Milano-Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics, which run Feb. 6 through Feb. 22, and will air on NBCU platforms. But that’s not a bad problem to have given how much promotion Sunday Night Basketball can get during the first week of those Olympics.

Cordella said the key to Sunday Night Basketball feeling big will be scheduling. He likes the idea of pitting the best Eastern Conference teams against the best Western Conference teams in that slot. The NFL has long worked with NBC to make Sunday Night Football feel like destination viewing and NBC plans to work with the NBA’s broadcasting department for the same style matchups.

“The best matchups that we have access are what we will attempt to put on that night,” Cordella said. “So a rematch of the NBA Finals would be a Sunday night matchup we’d want. Things that are big market and big ratings. We’ll have a research team that goes through all this. There is some flexibility to move games in and out within reason during the NBA schedule. You have seen Turner previously move games in and out and we will work closely with the NBA on that. Then it’s about putting production values against this.We want to showcase our production capabilities. We will have our ‘A’ team on the game in terms of announcers and analysts and a great studio show.”

On that note: Cordella said NBC plans on Mike Tirico being the “A” voice on NBC’s NBA games. NBC will obviously need multiple game teams and studio analysts given the inventory.

NBA announces $77 billion deals with ESPN, NBC and Amazon

Sunday Night Basketball should end prior to 11 p.m. ET, which will provide the ability for a quick postgame wrap-up before getting off the air for nightly news and other programming. In theory, Peacock could pick up studio coverage after that. “There are still lots of details to be sort of settled out,” Cordella said when asked about a Sunday night NBA show on Peacock.

Cordella said his group has high hopes for the product. NBC will need some hits given the company has a monster challenge — it has fewer games than Turner to monetize and has to offset a higher rights fees acquisition cost. That will not be easy.

“If we are successful, people will write that NBC kind of copied a little bit of its winning NFL formula from the fall,” said Cordella, “and brought it through to the NBA season.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Avery Bradley has switched gears to retirement, but his high hopes remain

By Gary Washburn Globe Staff,Updated

July 27, 2024, 11:29 a.m.

Around The League 2024-2025 Season Mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbostonglobe-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com%2Fresizer%2Fv2%2FKPY74LGOIII6NECD67LAQQIFTU.jpg%3Fauth%3Dc02ca8b914bfb3d231568be1ecc5381f7db55a99f5a8ec9053b70689a15fb82d%26width%3D1440&t=1722183307&ymreqid=b302b2ee-e6ee-a14f-1cca-cf0014014e00&sig=.jE_
Avery Bradley played seven seasons with the Celtics.Avery Bradley played seven seasons with the Celtics.Jason Miller

Avery Bradley said the toughest thing to acknowledge after 12 years in the NBA was that it was time to retire. It didn’t seem that long ago the Celtics drafted the 19-year-old Bradley in the first round out of the University of Texas.

It really wasn’t that long ago — 2010. But that’s an entire NBA generation ago, and the 33-year-old Bradley could have either continued to play NBA journeyman or find another job to fulfill his basketball itch. He chose the latter.

Bradley is now a member of the front office of the Jazz, hired by the man who drafted him, former Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

Bradley played seven seasons with the Celtics before being traded to the Pistons in 2017 in the deal that netted Marcus Morris. Jayson Tatum quickly took Bradley’s No. 0, a number not likely to be worn again in Boston, and the Celtics moved forward.

Bradley played with six teams over a five-year period before officially retiring after the 2021-22 season. But with a bright basketball mind and still relatively young, Bradley wanted to stay close to the game.

“First, it’s a blessing,” he said. “Second, it’s just been fun. It’s good to have the opportunity to learn the game from this perspective. I’ve been able to learn so much in a short period of time and I’ve enjoyed the experience.”

Bradley was one of the league’s top backcourt defenders in his prime and turned himself into a top reserve during his later years. When play resumed in the NBA Bubble during the 2019-20 season, Bradley opted out of joining the Lakers to be with his ill son. He still received a championship ring.

After stints with the Heat and Rockets, Bradley spent his final season with the Lakers, playing in 62 games. He said he knew it was time to stop grinding for roster spots and minimal chances.

“I’ve been playing for life after,” he said. “I don’t think there was one moment where I decided. I kind of was going with the flow of life and opportunities just opened up.”

Bradley arrived in Boston when the Big Three — Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen — were aging and they didn’t have enough to return to the NBA Finals after the 2009-10 season. But he spent most of his career here, helped Boston get back to the Eastern Conference finals in 2017, and consoled Isaiah Thomas when he lost his sister during that playoff run. Garnett recently told a story on social media of Bradley coming back from a stint with G-League Maine determined not to go back, and dunking so hard on Kendrick Perkins that the team had to stop practice.

“Boston is always going to still be home for me regardless of anything,” he said. “When they won, as you can see, Paul feels like he won the championship. I think we all kind of feel that way, like we’re a part of it and we’re just happy for them.”

Bradley’s goal is to become a general manager, but that requires a process. He was observing games at Las Vegas Summer League, taking notes and getting familiar with front office work. The Jazz are in the midst of a rebuild.

“I call myself the intern in the room at all times,” he said. “I’m just trying to learn as much as possible. I’ve been there for three or four months. The ultimate goal is to be a GM, president, whatever. I’m just taking it one day at a time, even if I’m led to a [coaching] role on the floor. Whatever it is, I’m going to prepare for it.”
Bradley had a plethora of emotions after finally deciding to retire. Inasmuch as 2010 doesn’t seem like that long ago, only two players — Paul George and Gordon Hayward — are still active from that draft class. Landry Fields, a second-round pick of the Knicks, is a general manager. Reality had set in about moving on for Bradley.

“You’re going through all those different emotions,” he said. “I’m just thankful for the opportunity that I had to be able to play for so many good organizations and then being with one in my post career and a new part of my game. I’m happy.”

Around The League 2024-2025 Season Mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbostonglobe-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com%2Fresizer%2Fv2%2FSGBOMDV67QI6JEUW777UG6BDXA.jpg%3Fauth%3De549bd8be6087bf2335046435d383941140f07b319f1c13c8b8fc110d3fc8c8c%26width%3D1440&t=1722183307&ymreqid=b302b2ee-e6ee-a14f-1cca-cf0014014e00&sig=NKRin6pG4qYpIIAfNBg

Bob
MY NOTE:  An elite defender.  I'll never forget the look on SVG's face as he watched AB blow up Jameel Nelson, and that was the year Nelson was on the bubble to make the All-Star game.  He stood there with his arms crossed and his eyes and mouth wide-open.  We've all seen SVG stand there with his squinty-eye look as he sees stuff he doesn't like but you rarely saw him in complete shock.  That season AB got one vote for DPOY and I believe it was SVG who gave it to him.  AB was full-court pressing Nelson every trip up court, stealing the ball, forcing him to give up the ball sooner than he wanted to to avoid a back court foul.  He so thoroughly traumatized Nelson he didn't even want the ball back after he gave it up because Bradley was immediately in his jersey smothering him. I remember cheering out loud during that game for AB.

AB's problem was that coach after coach, first Doc and then Brad, looked at his 6'2" body and tried to shoehorn him into the point guard role, but point guards are born, not built, and AB just didn't have that.  The Rondo/Bradley back court worked, even though it was very short, because Rondo was a born point-guard and AB was a defensive bulldog.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:10 pm

34 year old Gordon Hayward has announced his retirement from the NBA.

Not surprised. He's not even close to who/what he used to be and nobody is going to pay him more than a vet minimum contract. Time to spend time with his kids.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:56 pm

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rankings-predictions-top-30-point-guards-2024-25/

Ranking: The Top 30 point guards for the 2024-25 seasontop 30 point guards nba 2024-25

By Frank Urbina | August 2, 2024

With the 2024-25 NBA season coming sooner than you may think, we have started our new ranking series for the summer, one in which we will rank each position group in the NBA from No. 1 through No. 30.

First up today, we rank the Top 30 point guards in the NBA for the 2024-25 season, using some projection and some analysis of what they have done over their most recent campaigns in the Association.

Point guard is currently the most loaded position in the NBA, making this exercise today a difficult one. To determine our ranking, we did a team vote and aggregated the results to make it as fair of a result as possible.

Without further ado, below are the Top 30 point guards in the NBA for 2024-25.

1.  Luka Doncic (Dallas)

2023-24 stats: 33.9 ppg, 9.8 apg, 9.2 rpg, 1.4 spg, 48.7% FG%, 38.2% 3P% in 70 games
2024-25 earnings: $43,031,940 (projected 17th overall in salary)

Dallas Mavericks superstar Luka Doncic checks in at No. 1 in our point-guard rankings, an easy decision considering the season he just had and the career’s worth of evidence we have on him.

Doncic ended up third in the 2023-24 MVP vote, the highest finish of his career, after leading the league in scoring at 33.9 points per game to go with 9.2 rebounds, 9.8 assists and 1.4 steals per contest. He did that on 48.7 percent shooting from the floor and 38.2 percent accuracy from three, the latter being a career-best rate for him.

Doncic finished second league-wide in BPM and VORP and, post-trade deadline, had Dallas looking like a full-blown contender. That wound up being true, too, as Doncic led the Mavericks all the way to the NBA Finals through a crowded and tough Western Conference.

All in all, the 25-year-old continues to somehow improve year over year, an even more impressive feat considering he’s coming off of five straight 1st Team All-NBA nods.

For the record, the only players to make 1st Team All-NBA five years in a row since the year 2000 are Doncic, Lebron James, Shaquille O’Neal, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kevin Durant and Dwight Howard, putting Doncic is some very prestigious company. Out of that group, only Doncic and Howard have not or did not win MVP, and Howard made 1st Team All-NBA so many times in part due to how weak the center position was in the NBA at the time, so Doncic doing it in this loaded era and while so young is all the more notable.

It would not be surprising in the least to see Doncic win the first MVP award of his career now that he has the right supporting cast around him.

For the latest Luka Doncic news, rumors and salary info, click here.

2.  Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City)

2023-24 stats: 30.1 ppg, 6.2 apg, 5.5 rpg, 2.0 spg, 53.5% FG%, 35.3% 3P% in 75 games
2024-25 earnings: $35,859,950 (projected 33rd overall in salary)

Doncic finished third in the MVP vote last season, as stated above. The player who finished second in that very same vote? That was Canadian superstar Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who just had the best season of his career, putting up 30.1 points per game along with 5.5 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 2.0 steals per contest on absurdly efficient 53.5 percent shooting from the floor.

Gilgeous-Alexander has become one of the toughest players to guard in the NBA (former Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Smart actually believes he’s tougher to defend than Doncic)…

…and that’s due to his midrange shot-making prowess, his impossible-to-predict moves, his shiftiness and his ability to draw fouls. He draws some ire from fans for that last thing but it’s impossible to deny how effective the Oklahoma City Thunder star is at getting to the foul line and scoring easy points that way.

Gilgeous-Alexander finished second league-wide in WS/48 last season and with the way his game has progressed over recent seasons – and with how talented this current Thunder team is – he’s another player who could very well be in line for his first career MVP award in 2024-25.

For the latest Shai Gilgeous-Alexander news, rumors and salary info, click here.

3.  Jalen Brunson (New York)

2023-24 stats: 28.7 ppg, 6.7 apg, 3.6 rpg, 0.9 spg, 47.9% FG%, 40.1% 3P% in 77 games
2024-25 earnings: $24,960,001 (projected 65th overall in salary)

New York Knicks star point guard Jalen Brunson had already shown signs of being a great player in 2022-23. In 2023-24, however, the two-time national champion at Villanova proved that he’s unquestionably an elite one, finishing Top 5 in the MVP vote, leading the Knicks to the second round of the playoffs and earning 2nd Team All-NBA honors.

There may still be some discourse on whether or not Brunson can be the best player on a championship team, but considering his selflessness in taking less money now to sign an extension in New York, which will help the Knicks keep contending in the East for years to come, Brunson might be able to shut that talk down and prove it without a doubt in the coming seasons.

Brunson’s strong 2023-24 regular season and his even more impressive playoff run, in which he averaged 32.4 points and 7.5 assists over 13 games, has us thinking big things for soon-to-be-28-year-old in 2024-25.

For the latest Jalen Brunson news, rumors and salary info, click here.

4.  Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana)

2023-24 stats: 20.1 ppg, 10.9 apg, 3.9 rpg, 1.2 spg, 47.7% FG%, 36.4% 3P% in 69 games
2024-25 earnings: $42,176,400 (projected 21st overall in salary)

The league leader in assists per game last season at 10.9 nightly dimes to go with 20.1 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.2 steals, Indiana Pacers floor general Tyrese Haliburton looks like the best pure passing lead guard in the NBA right now.

He’s also more than capable of scoring 20-plus points on any given night, as was the case in 2023-24 even with Haliburton having an uncharacteristically poor season shooting from beyond the arc. Over Haliburton’s first three seasons, he shot 40.8 percent from three, even despite his funky-looking jumper. In 2023-24, that mark dropped down to 36.4 percent, which could very well have been injury-related.

Even with the mediocre deep shooting marks, Haliburton helped lead Indiana back to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 2013-14, an incredibly impressive feat for the former Iowa State standout. Haliburton might not quite be in that MVP tier but we fully expect him to have another All-NBA-level campaign in 2024-25.

For the latest Tyrese Haliburton news, rumors and salary info, click here.

5.  Stephen Curry (Golden State)

2023-24 stats: 26.4 ppg, 5.1 apg, 4.5 rpg, 0.7 spg, 45.0% FG%, 40.8% 3P% in 74 games
2024-25 earnings: $55,761,216 (projected 1st overall in salary)

This may seem like a bit of a low ranking for superstar point guard Stephen Curry. After all, he’s coming off 3rd Team All-NBA honors, just won Clutch Player of the Year, was an All-Star and put up over 26 points and five assists per contest on 40.8 percent shooting from three.

But despite his impressive production, the Golden State Warriors missed the playoffs for the second time in the last four seasons. Plus, Curry’s next season will be his age-36 campaign, so if we project a slight drop-off for the former two-time league MVP and progression from other promising young point guards like Haliburton and Brunson, Curry’s place on this ranking starts to make more sense.

Even so, we expect Curry to remain among the elite of the position in 2024-25 and challenge for All-NBA honors once more. We just think that the next campaign might be a bit of a passing-of-the-guard season in the point-guard hierarchy in the NBA.

For the latest Stephen Curry news, rumors and salary info, click here.

6.  Tyrese Maxey (Philadelphia)

2023-24 stats: 25.9 ppg, 6.2 apg, 3.7 rpg, 1.0 spg, 45.0% FG%, 37.3% 3P% in 70 games
2024-25 earnings: $35,147,000 (projected 36th overall in salary)

The reigning Most Improved Player, Philadelphia 76ers lead guard Tyrese Maxey just missed out on All-NBA honors in 2023-24 despite averaging 25.9 points, 6.2 assists and 1.0 steals per game on 45.0 percent shooting.

Maxey ranked as roughly a Top 35 player in the league last season according to VORP and BPM, helping the Philadelphia 76ers finish the season 47-35 despite being without then-reigning MVP Joel Embiid for much of the campaign.

With Maxey still just 23 years old and coming off the first All-Star nod of his career, his lofty place in this ranking is based in part on projection by us, as we fully believe he’ll take another leap in 2024-25 thanks to his elite quickness, ability to get buckets off the dribble and nail shots from deep beyond the arc.

For the latest Tyrese Maxey news, rumors and salary info, click here.

7.  Ja Morant (Memphis)

2023-24 stats: 25.1 ppg, 8.1 apg, 5.6 rpg, 0.8 spg, 47.1% FG%, 27.5% 3P% in 9 games
2024-25 earnings: $36,725,670 (projected 27th overall in salary)

After missing basically all of 2023-24 due to suspension and then injury, stock in two-time All-Star Ja Morant couldn’t be much lower heading into 2024-25. Even so, we believe he’ll remain one of the best point guards in the league once he gets back out there next season, as Morant is just so explosive and energetic he’ll still be borderline unguardable once he gets back out there for the Memphis Grizzlies.

In his last fully healthy season, the Murray State product averaged 26.2 points on 46.6 percent shooting to go with 5.9 rebounds, 8.1 assists and 1.1 steals per game. Morant didn’t get All-NBA honors in 2022-23 but he was an All-Star, and we think he’ll get right back to that borderline All-NBA level in 2024-25.

For the latest Ja Morant news, rumors and salary info, click here.

8.  Damian Lillard (Milwaukee)

2023-24 stats: 24.3 ppg, 7.0 apg, 4.4 rpg, 1.0 spg, 42.4% FG%, 35.4% 3P% in 73 games
2024-25 earnings: $48,787,676 (projected 12th overall in salary)

2022-23 was a year of change for Damian Lillard, who had to acclimate to not just being on a team other than the Portland Trail Blazers for the first time in his career, but also had to do so for a Milwaukee Bucks squad in which he wasn’t the team’s best player. Lillard hasn’t been a team’s second-best player since early on in his career when he’d play some Robin to LaMarcus Aldridge’s Batman and even then, Aldridge wasn’t as ball-dominant – or as good – as former league MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo is.

As such, Lillard struggled to an extent, posting the third-worst VORP and BPM of his career while averaging 24.3 points and 7.0 assists on 42.4 percent shooting from the floor. It speaks to how brilliant Lillard has been in his career that those numbers are seen as a drop-off in play for him. What was concerning was seeing Lillard’s three-point percentage falter to 35.4 percent from the floor last season, also the third-worst mark of his career.

Regardless, we expect Lillard’s three-point accuracy to return to more normal rates next season (he’s at 37.1 percent for his career), which will help him return to previous borderline All-NBA levels. Further buoying our belief in a Lillard bounce-back is the fact that he shot 67.7 percent from within three of the basket in 2023-24, the highest mark of his career and one indicative that he’s still got something left in the tank athletically.

For the latest Damian Lillard news, rumors and salary info, click here.

9.  De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento)

2023-24 stats: 26.6 ppg, 5.6 apg, 4.6 rpg, 2.0 spg, 46.5% FG%, 36.9% 3P% in 74 games
2024-25 earnings: $34,848,340 (projected 38th overall in salary)

Sacramento Kings point guard De’Aaron Fox had a good season in 2023-24, upping his scoring average from 25.0 points to 26.6 points per game to go with 5.6 assists and a league-leading 2.0 steals per contest on 36.9 percent shooting from three – the highest mark of his career in a season where he shot more than three triples nightly.

His VORP and BPM likewise improved this season but with how loaded the guard position is in the NBA, especially in the Western Conference, Fox was snubbed from any accolades in 2023-24. The one slightly disappointing part is that his for Fox is that his improved production didn’t lead to the team success many had hoped, as the Kings went a somewhat disappointing 46-36 on the year.

Regardless, Fox remains one of the top point guards in the NBA, a lightning-quick attacker with much-improved off-the-dribble scoring chops as a shooter, and we expect another explosive year out of the former Kentucky Wildcat in 2024-25.

For the latest De’Aaron Fox news, rumors and salary info, click here.

10.  Trae Young (Atlanta)

2023-24 stats: 25.7 ppg, 10.8 apg, 2.8 rpg, 1.3 spg, 43.0% FG%, 37.3% 3P% in 54 games
2024-25 earnings: $43,031,940 (projected 17th overall in salary)

One of just two players in league history to lead the NBA in total points and in total assists in the same season, which happened back in 2021-22, Atlanta Hawks lead guard Trae Young remains extremely productive, putting up over 25 points and 10 assists per game this season, a campaign in which he was named an All-Star for the third time in his career.

But the Hawks haven’t won over 43 games since 2015-16 (they were on pace to in 2020-21 but that was the post-COVID shortened season), with things really bottoming out last year as Atlanta went 36-46 and missed out on the playoffs. Maybe things will be better now that Young’s backcourt mate Dejounte Murray was traded but truth be told, the soon-to-be-26-year-old’s stock is pretty low right now. (That was reportedly reflected with his trade market this summer, too.)

Young may be a great player on offense – a huge scorer with excellent playmaking abilities – but he’s just not that efficient with his buckets, shooting 43.6 percent from the floor for his career and 35.5 percent from three, and his defense is next to non-existent.

Right now, it looks like it would take some very impressive roster-building for the Hawks to be able to build a contender around Young, with Atlanta’s 2020-21 march to the Eastern Conference Finals – led by Young – looking more and more like an aberration.

Regardless, his production is impossible to ignore so even with all that said, we still believe Young to be roughly a Top 10 point guard in the NBA today.

For the latest Trae Young news, rumors and salary info, click here.

11.  Kyrie Irving (Dallas)

2023-24 stats: 25.6 ppg, 5.2 apg, 5.0 rpg, 1.3 spg, 49.7% FG%, 41.1% 3P% in 58 games
2024-25 earnings: $41,000,000 (projected 24th overall in salary)

It may be surprising to see 2016 NBA champion Kyrie Irving rank this low among the top point guards in the league, especially after his recent playoff run in which he helped guide the Dallas Mavericks to the NBA Finals for the first time since 2010-11.

His 2024 Finals performance left something to be desired but prior to the championship series, Irving was fantastic, averaging 22.8 points, 5.2 assists and 1.2 steals on 48.5 percent shooting, 42.1 percent from beyond the arc, over 17 games.

Irving would rank him higher on talent alone or based on recent playoff performance, but his body of work in the regular season usually falls a bit short. Irving has only made one All-NBA Team since 2019, a 3rd team appearance in 2021, three full seasons ago now.

Irving’s play itself is impressive in the regular season, as the former No. 1 overall pick has averaged 26.6 points and 5.4 assists on 49.0 percent shooting over the past three seasons combined, he just misses a lot of time, with Irving failing to play more than 60 regular-season games since 2018-19.

For the latest Kyrie Irving news, rumors and salary info, click here.

12.  Jamal Murray (Denver)

2023-24 stats: 21.2 ppg, 6.5 apg, 4.1 rpg, 1.0 spg, 48.1% FG%, 42.5% 3P% in 59 games
2024-25 earnings: $36,016,200 (projected 31st overall in salary)

For the first time in his career, Playoff Murray did not make an appearance in 2023-24, as Denver Nuggets bucket-getter Jamal Murray struggled in the postseason, averaging 20.6 points on 40.2 percent shooting – just 31.5 percent from three – for easily the worst playoff showing of his career. With the Nuggets taking another step back talent-wise again this offseason, now is the time for Murray to become a full-blown star in the regular season.

We think he has a chance to do it, as the Canadian point guard is a very talented scorer who can hit shots from all over the floor and even finish around the basket thanks to his underrated athleticism.

Murray is just too talented to have no All-Star and no All-NBA appearances in his career, so 2024-25 is really the time the former Wildcat has to take his game to another level.

For the latest Jamal Murray news, rumors and salary info, click here.

13.  Cade Cunningham (Detroit)

2023-24 stats: 22.7 ppg, 7.5 apg, 4.3 rpg, 0.9 spg, 44.9% FG%, 35.5% 3P% in 62 games
2024-25 earnings: $13,940,809 (projected 118th overall in salary)

Rewarded with an All-Star salary before coming close to becoming one, Cade Cunningham will be given every chance to shine on a Detroit Pistons team that will be focused only on developing young talent this season (and for the foreseeable future).

The good news for Pistons fans is that the former No. 1 overall pick has improved every year he’s been in the NBA, peaking so far in 2023-24 at 22.7 points and 7.6 assists per game on 44.9 percent shooting and 35.5 percent shooting from three. Cunningham ranked roughly as a Top 100 player in the NBA according to BPM and VORP.

The 22-year-old still has all the tools that made him so enticing as a draft prospect – great size for a guard, three-level scoring, good playmaking vision and the ability to hit tough shots – he just has to learn to put it all together on a more consistent and efficient basis before he can take the next step up the point guard hierarchy.

For the latest Cade Cunningham news, rumors and salary info, click here.

14.  LaMelo Ball (Charlotte)

2023-24 stats: 23.9 ppg, 8.0 apg, 5.1 rpg, 1.8 spg, 43.3% FG%, 35.5% 3P% in 22 games
2024-25 earnings: $35,147,000 (projected 36th overall in salary)

Charlotte Hornets star LaMelo Ball was a tricky player to rank for this exercise as he’s a bit of a wild card – he’s great when he plays but he misses a lot of time due to injury and his team success, even when he’s playing, is quite lacking.

Ball has played in just 58 games over the past two seasons combined and has played more than 51 games in a full season just once in his four-year career.

When Ball was out there in 2023-24, he was impressive once again, averaging 23.9 points, 5.1 rebounds, 8.0 assists and 1.8 steals per game on 43.3 percent shooting, making him one of five players to put up a 23/5/8 stat line last season along with the likes of Doncic, Morant, LeBron James and Nikola Jokic.

That’s a pretty notable list of names Ball found himself alongside last season with his averages.

It’s mostly just health missing from Ball’s game, as the bombastic scorer and visionary playmaker looks like a perennial All-Star when he is on the floor for Charlotte.

For the latest LaMelo Ball news, rumors and salary info, click here.

15.  James Harden (LA Clippers)

2023-24 stats: 16.6 ppg, 8.5 apg, 5.1 rpg, 1.1 spg, 42.8% FG%, 38.1% 3P% in 72 games
2024-25 earnings: $33,653,846 (projected 43rd overall in salary)

Can James Harden be the one to carry a team on his shoulders? Most certainly not. And if he’s your No. 2, you’re probably not a legit championship contender… which pretty much defines the 2024-25 Los Angeles Clippers.

Regardless, with Paul George now a member of the Philadelphia 76ers, Harden will get a chance to be the more ball-dominant player he was prior to his Clippers stint.

We got a glimpse of that in the 2024 playoffs when Kawhi Leonard was out with injury. Harden responded in the Clippers’ first-round playoff defeat by putting up 21.2 points, 4.5 rebounds and 8.0 assists on 44.9/38.3/90.6 percent shooting splits. He just lacked consistency, having a 33-point and 28-point performance in the first-round series but also having a seven-point, 2-for-12 showing in Game 5 and a five-for-16 Game 6, which saw the Clippers get eliminated by Dallas after a 114-101 defeat.

Harden can still put up good numbers (though he’s no longer the scorer he was in his prime, as he has clearly lost a step athletically), but it’s just starting to look quite doubtful that that’ll lead to much playoff success at this point in his career.

For the latest James Harden news, rumors and salary info, click here.

16.  Derrick White (Boston)

2023-24 stats: 15.2 ppg, 5.2 apg, 4.2 rpg, 1.0 spg, 46.1% FG%, 39.6% 3P% in 73 games
2024-25 earnings: $20,071,429 (projected 82nd overall in salary)

A fringe All-Star caliber type who excels in his role, Boston Celtics point guard Derrick White is a low-maintenance player who competes hard on both ends and helps his team win in ways not shown on the stat sheet.

White moves the ball well, is never stagnant and won’t take bad shots, which helps him fit in perfectly with star-studded teams like the Celtics. That ability to be an elite role player even earned White a spot on the loaded 2024 USA Basketball team, no small accomplishment when you see just how stacked that roster was with future first-ballot Hall-of-Famers.

White is also an elite guard defender with good quickness laterally, great toughness and ridiculous shot-blocking chops that have helped turn him into the best shot-blocking guard the NBA has seen since a prime Dwyane Wade.

White ranked as nearly a Top 20 player in the NBA for 2023-24 according to VORP and BPM, and when you look back at the impact he made for what was an excellent Celtics team that season, it’s easy to see why. We expect more big things out of White in 2024-25.

For the latest Derrick White news, rumors and salary info, click here.

17.  Darius Garland (Cleveland)

2023-24 stats: 18.0 ppg, 6.5 apg, 2.7 rpg, 1.3 spg, 44.6% FG%, 37.1% 3P% in 57 games
2024-25 earnings: $36,725,670 (projected 27th overall in salary)

We had one-time All-Star Darius Garland projected as high as No. 12 ahead of the 2022-23 season but things have not panned out like he might have hoped lately, not with Donovan Mitchell really having his way with the team. There was even talk of Garland asking for a trade out of Cleveland this summer if Mitchell got extended (which he did), though things have been quiet on that front for a while.

Either way, Garland has seen a drop-off in impact and production since Mitchell’s arrival, at one time looking like a future multi-time All-Star but now looking more just like a very good starter-level player.

What’s particularly concerning is that Garland had a very poor playoff run for Cleveland in 2023-24 even despite the team getting to the second round of the potseason, averaging just 15.7 points and 5.8 assists on 42.7 percent shooting over 12 games, including single-game performances that saw him post plus/minuses of -17, -22 and -27.

All in all, Garland still has loads of talent as a slippery scorer with good shooting touch from the outside and solid playmaking chops, he just might be hindered for the foreseeable future by playing alongside the ball-dominant Mitchell.

For the latest Darius Garland news, rumors and salary info, click here.

18.  Jrue Holiday (Boston)

2023-24 stats: 12.5 ppg, 4.8 apg, 5.4 rpg, 0.9 spg, 48.0% FG%, 42.9% 3P% in 69 games
2024-25 earnings: $30,000,000 (projected 49th overall in salary)

The Celtics were so great in 2023-24 in large part thanks to having not just one excellent role-playing two-way point guard on the roster in White, but a second even more proven one in Jrue Holiday, who’s also so good in his role that he likewise earned a Team USA spot in the summer of 2024.

Despite now being 34, Holiday remains one of the best defensive guards in the NBA while still being a capable scorer and playmaker when called upon. He’s even got an adept off-the-ball slashing game perfect for a team as loaded as Boston’s, as well as spot-up shooting prowess from beyond the arc.

Holiday, a two-time All-Star, might not be able to reach that All-Star level again while with the Celtics – and we only say that due to how unselfish he is that he won’t score enough to get consideration for the distinction – but in his role, he’s without a doubt a star, a player who only cares about winning and has the talent on both ends to make a huge nightly impact towards that happening.

For the latest Jrue Holiday news, rumors and salary info, click here.

19.  Dejounte Murray (New Orleans)

2023-24 stats: 22.5 ppg, 6.4 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 spg, 45.9% FG%, 36.3% 3P% in 78 games
2024-25 earnings: $29,283,801 (projected 52nd overall in salary)

The New Orleans Pelicans swung a big move this summer in trading for one-time All-Star Dejounte Murray, a point guard with two-way prowess who can rebound at a very high level for his position and who is very adept at picking up steals and defending one-on-one.

Murray proved not to be all that great of a fit alongside Trae Young but there’s no question he remains a high-level player. In games that Young missed in 2023-24, Murray was monstrous, averaging 25.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 9.1 assists in 28 such games on 44.3 percent shooting.

Obviously, it’ll be tough for Murray to replicate those exact numbers playing on a far more talented Pelicans team this upcoming season, hence why he’s not sitting a bit higher up these rankings, but overall, his fit should be much better in New Orleans where he’ll be tasked with scoring late in clutch games, something he’s proven to excel at, as well as defending, rebounding and getting out in transition alongside the explosive Zion Williamson.

For the latest Dejounte Murray news, rumors and salary info, click here.

20.  Fred VanVleet (Houston)

2023-24 stats: 17.4 ppg, 8.1 apg, 3.8 rpg, 1.4 spg, 41.6% FG%, 38.7% 3P% in 73 games
2024-25 earnings: $42,846,615 (projected 20th overall in salary)

The tough-nosed Fred VanVleet rounds out the Top 20 of our list after a solid debut season with the Houston Rockets in which he put up over 17 points and eight assists per game on nearly 39 percent shooting from three.

VanVleet has one All-Star appearance under his belt and remains just 30 years old so his earning the honor again in the future is not totally impossible, especially if the Rockets hit on draft picks and start to win more in the regular season, but it will be far more difficult now that he’s playing in the Western Conference.

Regardless, the beauty of a player like VanVleet is that he doesn’t care about personal accolades but rather winning, playing with great effort on both ends of the floor and providing great leadership for a young Rockets team.

We don’t necessarily expect a huge elevation in individual production out of VanVleet in 2024-25 but we do think he’ll continue to make a great impact as a leader in Houston, particularly as the young squad continues to mature. Don’t get us wrong, though, VanVleet can still get buckets, create for teammates and rack up steals and deflections, so he’s far from being just a leader for the team – he can still put up impressive numbers, too.

For the latest Fred VanVleet news, rumors and salary info, click here.

21.  Coby White (Chicago)

2023-24 stats: 19.1 ppg, 5.1 apg, 4.5 rpg, 0.7 spg, 44.7% FG%, 37.6% 3P% in 79 games
2024-25 earnings: $12,000,000 (projected 140th overall in salary)

There were some questions about Chicago Bulls guard Coby White’s ceiling in the NBA and whether or not he had reached it already heading into last season before the former UNC standout had a breakout campaign, averaging a career-high 19.1 points, 4.5 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game on 44.7 percent shooting from the floor and placing second in the Most Improved Player Vote.

2024-25 will be about White maintaining that level of play or improving upon it to prove he’s a legitimately good starter-level point guard in the NBA.

With so much quickness, off-the-dribble scoring prowess and such solid rebounding and playmaking, we think White will – at the very least – be able to hover around the production he posted last season, which would be huge in comparison to the slow start he got off to in his career.

For the latest Coby White news, rumors and salary info, click here.

22.  Josh Giddey (Chicago)

2023-24 stats: 12.3 ppg, 4.8 apg, 6.4 rpg, 0.6 spg, 47.5% FG%, 33.7% 3P% in 80 games
2024-25 earnings: $8,352,367 (projected 187th overall in salary)

While White will need to maintain his breakout-season-level form, his new backcourt mate Josh Giddey will need to bounce back from arguably his worst pro season, one that saw him lose a ton of playing time in the postseason due to ineffectiveness.

Now playing for the Bulls, Giddey will be faced with less pressure as Chicago is nowhere near as close to contention as the Thunder were, nor will he have to share so much of the ball now that he’s no longer sharing a backcourt with an MVP candidate like Gilgeous-Alexander. Perhaps that will help the Australian ball-handler regain the form he had from earlier in his career when he looked like he might have an All-Star ceiling.

That may seem like a stretch now but in his age-20 campaign, Giddey did average 16.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 6.2 assists on 48.2 percent shooting. Maybe one can blame today’s high-scoring era of basketball for this – and it feels borderline blasphemous to even point out – but… only LeBron James, Magic Johnson and Luka Doncic averaged 16/7/6 in their age-20 seasons like Giddey did in 2022-23.

So although he took a lot of heat for his play in 2023-24, Giddey is a very unique player with impressive upside, and the still-21-year-old has plenty of time to bounce back from his third-season slump.

For the latest Josh Giddey news, rumors and salary info, click here.

23.  D'Angelo Russell (LA Lakers)

2023-24 stats: 18.0 ppg, 6.3 apg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 spg, 45.6% FG%, 41.5% 3P% in 76 games
2024-25 earnings: $18,692,307 (projected 92nd overall in salary)

Los Angeles Lakers point guard D’Angelo Russell is a divisive player, as he catches a lot more flak than maybe he deserves to considering that he posts good numbers and is clearly a skilled point guard with flair.

The problem is, he’s not all that reliable when it matters most, which is come playoff time. 2023-24 was no different, as Russell averaged just 14.2 points and 4.2 assists on 38.4 percent shooting (31.8 percent from three) over five games in the Lakers’ first-round defeat to the Nuggets. That included a zero-point, zero-for-seven performance in Game 3 in what was a 112-105 defeat for L.A.

Russell might just simply be a player who raises a team’s floor but not necessarily its ceiling, which should continue to help the Lakers in 2024-25, at least in the regular season. However, if the team wants to make the most of James’ last few seasons in the NBA, Russell, who is entering a contract season, might need to be moved for players who can help Los Angeles’ championship potential.

For the latest D’Angelo Russell news, rumors and salary info, click here.

24.  Immanuel Quickley (Toronto)

2023-24 stats: 17.0 ppg, 4.9 apg, 3.8 rpg, 0.7 spg, 43.4% FG%, 39.5% 3P% in 61 games
2024-25 earnings: $32,500,000 (projected 45th overall in salary)

When he was still with the Knicks, former Kentucky Wildcat Immanuel Quickley was a player many believed could put up bigger numbers if he had a larger role on another team. And we got a glimpse of that in 2023-24 over 38 games once Quickley was moved to the Toronto Raptors, as the 25-year-old averaged 18.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 6.8 assists on 39.5 percent shooting from beyond the arc over that stretch

If Quickley is able to keep that up over the entirety of 2024-25, he might actually outpace this ranking. As is, he’s a solid starter thanks to his quickness, his crossover and his stop-on-a-dime, off-the-dribble shooting ability.

For the latest Immanuel Quickley news, rumors and salary info, click here.

25.  Jalen Suggs (Orlando)

2023-24 stats: 12.6 ppg, 2.7 apg, 3.1 rpg, 1.4 spg, 47.1% FG%, 39.7% 3P% in 75 games
2024-25 earnings: $9,188,385 (projected 174th overall in salary)

One of the main breakout players of 2023-24, Orlando Magic point guard Jalen Suggs finally looked like the player many were expecting when was selected in the Top 5 of the 2021 draft, earning 2nd Team All-Defense honors while finishing eighth in Most Improved Player voting and 10th in the Defensive Player of the Year vote.

A dynamite defender thanks to his elite foot quickness and his great strength and tenacity, Suggs was able to perform well on and off the ball on offense, too, shooting a career-high 39.7 percent from three and getting some buckets slashing to the rim.

If Suggs is able to take another leap in 2024-25 to go with Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner’s expected growth, the Magic might have something to say in the Eastern Conference come playoff time.

For the latest Jalen Suggs news, rumors and salary info, click here.

26.  Marcus Smart (Memphis)

2023-24 stats: 14.4 ppg, 4.3 apg, 2.6 rpg, 2.0 spg, 43.0% FG%, 31.3% 3P% in 20 games
2024-25 earnings: $20,210,285 (projected 85th overall in salary)

Two years removed from winning Defensive Player of the Year, Grizzlies point guard Marcus Smart has seen his stock fall a bit after 2023-24, a season that saw him get traded away from the Celtics – who won the title without him after various postseason failures in years prior (we’re not blaming Smart for those, just pointing it out) – and then play just 20 games last season due to a campaign-ending injury.

Smart performed pretty well when he was out there for Memphis but 2024-25 should be a much different campaign for both the Oklahoma State Cowboy and the Grizzlies, who should be fully healthy and present from the opening tip of the season.

For the latest Marcus Smart news, rumors and salary info, click here.

27.  Mike Conley (Minnesota)

2023-24 stats: 11.4 ppg, 5.9 apg, 2.9 rpg, 1.2 spg, 45.7% FG%, 44.2% 3P% in 76 games
2024-25 earnings: $9,975,962 (projected 164th overall in salary)

Veteran floor general Mike Conley remained one of the better starting point guards in the NBA in 2023-24, playing an important role in helping the Minnesota Timberwolves reach the Western Conference Finals for the first time in 20 years as the team’s steadying presence in the backcourt, especially when things would get tight.

Conley was particularly effective in Minnesota’s upset series victory over Denver, averaging 11.0 points and 6.7 assists while, most importantly, shooting 44.8 percent from beyond the arc, to help the Timberwolves knock off the then-reigning champions.

Conley’s next season will be his age-37 campaign, so some drop-off is possible, but he didn’t really show much sign of that last season. Sure, he’s no longer the same level of player he was in his prime but he’s still a dependable starter. Not bad for the 10th-oldest player left in the NBA.

For the latest Mike Conley news, rumors and salary info, click here.

28.  Terry Rozier (Miami)

2023-24 stats: 19.8 ppg, 5.6 apg, 4.0 rpg, 1.0 spg, 44.3% FG%, 36.3% 3P% in 61 games
2024-25 earnings: $24,924,126 (projected 66th overall in salary)

Former Louisville Cardinals star Terry Rozier started the season off extremely well, averaging 23.2 points and 6.6 assists on 45.9 percent shooting for the Hornets, even getting some shouts for All-Star consideration from media and fans.

His production naturally slipped a bit when he was traded midseason from Charlotte to the Miami Heat, however, which only makes sense since he was clearly the Hornets’ best player last season with Ball out injured. That was not the case in Miami, who don’t just have Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo in the starting lineup but another high-volume shot-taker in Tyler Herro, meaning Rozier had to adjust before he was able to get it going.

Ultimately, Rozier wasn’t able to do that as a tricky neck injury caused him to miss the majority of the end of the season. 2024-25 should be a better season for the 2015 draft pick, who is reportedly healthy and fully ready to go. With an entire offseason plus part of 2023-24 to adjust to his new team, we should see better play out of Miami’s starting point guard this upcoming campaign.

For the latest Terry Rozier news, rumors and salary info, click here.

29.  Scoot Henderson (Portland)

2023-24 stats: 14.0 ppg, 5.4 apg, 3.1 rpg, 0.8 spg, 38.5% FG%, 32.5% 3P% in 62 games
2024-25 earnings: $10,259,160 (projected 161st overall in salary)

For a minute, some question whether G League Ignite product Scoot Henderson should be considered the No. 1 pick in the Victor Wembanyama draft class, an idea which hasn’t aged all that well. There’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then and not in a good way for Henderson, who struggled mightily in his rookie season, shooting under 39 percent from the floor for the year and turning the ball over nearly three-and-one-half times per game.

That’s true for many young point guards, however, so the jury is still out for the young lead guard. We should see some growth out of the Portland Trail Blazers floor general next year, as he’s too athletic and strong to not be more effective of a scorer, at least closer to the basket.

For the latest Scoot Henderson news, rumors and salary info, click here.

30.  Andrew Nembhard (Indiana)

2023-24 stats: 9.2 ppg, 4.1 apg, 2.1 rpg, 0.9 spg, 49.8% FG%, 35.7% 3P% in 68 games
2024-25 earnings: $2,019,699 (projected 402nd overall in salary)

Pacers point guard Andrew Nembhard is versatile for the position, able to play on or off the ball for Indiana, an important skill to have considering he’s teammates with one of the best point guards in the league today.

Nembhard didn’t make a huge jump offensively from his rookie to sophomore season but he did show improvement, shooting nearly 50 percent from the floor and taking his three-point percentage from 35.0 percent to 35.7 percent.

Nembhard’s most interesting trait might be his defense as he plays hard on that end of the floor while providing some off-ball scoring for the Pacers.

For the latest Andrew Nembhard news, rumors and salary info, click here.

Bob
MY NOTE:  There are 30 teams in the NBA.  They list top 30 PGs.  Some teams like the Celtics, Dallas and Indy have two on the list which means there are teams with no point guard in the top 30.  San Antonio for one.  Luka's a "point guard"?  Why?  Because the offense goes through him?  Why doesn't that make Jokic a "point guard"?  Jamal Murray is a "point guard", with only 4.8apg last season?!  Hell, Payton Pritchard averaged 3.4apg and he did it in 2/3 the mpg.  Smart's value falls because his team didn't do well and the team he left, which was already competing for Championships, did well? How did Harden, Cunningham and Rozier get on the list then? What is their criteria?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:19 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/george-karl-lakers-more-nationally-073854641.html

George Karl: Lakers will have more nationally televised games than wins

Robert Marvi

Sat, August 17, 2024 at 12:38 AM PDT·1 min read

There is no doubt that there seems to be a lot of professional jealousy around the NBA toward the Los Angeles Lakers because of their 17 world championships that have been spread across almost every decade of the league's existence. There also appears to be an additional level of resentment toward the Lakers for whatever reason.

Former head coach George Karl, who was moderately successful during his coaching career with multiple teams, has attacked the Purple and Gold multiple times in recent months. He said their 2020 championship doesn't count, and he also said Anthony Davis shouldn't have been named to the NBA's 75th anniversary team and that LeBron James isn't a superstar anymore.

On Thursday, shortly after the NBA's schedule for this coming season was released, Karl was at it again. He said the Lakers, as well as the Golden State Warriors, will have more nationally televised games than wins (h/t Lakers Daily).

Los Angeles will have the most nationally televised games of any team in the league with 39. It makes sense, as James and Davis are still as good a superstar duo as the league has these days.

But to expect the team to finish with a losing record seems unreasonable. It could happen if L.A. is ravaged by key injuries, or if James finally falls off a cliff in terms of his production.

But if neither happens, this Lakers team should be capable of winning approximately 50 games.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Sports Illustrated is projecting 44.5 wins for the Lakers this year (can't have an even number of wins because then the bookies will have too many "pushes" and we can't be upsetting Vegas now can we?).  That is down from the 46.5 they projected last year.  They, actually, won 47.  So SI was basically dead on.  Going from 44-45 projected wins to actually winning 50 games would be a significant overachievement.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:14 am

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5712520/2024/08/21/knicks-mailbag-rotation-projections/

Based on your reporting and knowledge of the NBA, what is Randle’s trade value at this very moment before a potential contract extension? Either in player compensation, matching salary plus draft pick compensation or a mix of both. (For what it’s worth, I do not favor trading Randle. — George G.

Here’s what makes discussions about hypothetical Randle trades so difficult: I don’t believe there is a team in the NBA that would value the three-time All-Star more than the Knicks do.

I texted this question to someone who works in a rival team’s front office and received an answer I expected: “Neutral, at best,” the person said.

Randle’s contract is fair. He makes $28.9 million this season and can become a free agent next summer. But the fear of having to pay him, especially when his skill set makes him such a specific fit, makes it difficult to find suitors willing to give up any package that would be worth it for the Knicks.

As I’ve reported already, there is no indication the Knicks are trying to trade Randle, which means it’s difficult to gather a true gauge of his market. So to break this down further, let’s travel to New Orleans, where the Pelicans are dealing with a similar, real-life situation.

The Pelicans have fielded offers on their All-Star wing Brandon Ingram, who is three years younger than Randle, has been an All-Star and has averaged more than 20 points in five consecutive seasons. But months into the offseason, they haven’t been able to find any viable suitors.

Ingram, a lanky, 6-foot-8 wing, is a free agent after this season and is hoping for a significant raise next summer. He’s a specific fit, too, even though he’s stylistically different from Randle. He doesn’t shoot enough 3s to threaten defenses while spacing away from the ball. He’s best with the rock in his hands and is an underrated passer (not many players have the size and vision to toss the cross-court dishes he does), but his presence doesn’t guarantee a high-voltage attack.

Teams are worried about what happens when Ingram’s contract is up. Do they want to pay $40 million a year for him? Or maybe more? He makes $36 million this season. Thus, there hasn’t been much action on him, even with New Orleans making it clear to the rest of the league that it is down to make a deal.

The Pelicans won 49 games last season, and they’re not trying to get worse, just as the Knicks would not make a Randle deal only to weaken this season’s roster. New Orleans also understands that bringing back Ingram for even an identical price, which is not Ingram’s expectation, would mean paying nearly $140 million just for an unproven quartet of Ingram, Zion Williamson, CJ McCollum and Dejounte Murray.

The Pels are at a standstill, as I believe the Knicks would be if they chose to move on from Randle.

But all of this is moot. The Knicks are holding onto Randle for now, and he enters the upcoming season with an argument as the team’s most important player.

Bob
MY NOTE: "Neutral, at best" for Randle. That's interesting. $28.9M/year and heading into an extension. He'd be a perfect 4 for us, but not at that price.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:04 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5716007/2024/08/23/nba-overrated-trades-signings-immanuel-quickley-max-christie/?source=freeweeklyemail&campaign=602288&userId=13921316

The NBA offseason’s most under-scrutinized moves, from Immanuel Quickley to Max Christie

By John Hollinger

Aug 23, 2024

What’s the opposite of “underrated”? Not “overrated,” exactly … at least for the purposes of this exercise.

Earlier this week, I wrote about five positive moves from the NBA offseason that aren’t getting enough attention, both for their potential impact and the creativity involved in executing them. Now it’s time for the other side of the coin — some moves that haven’t really received much negative press despite having significant downside. I wouldn’t call them “overrated” as much as “under-scrutinized” — and they left me with some questions.

I’ll note that not every iffy move from this summer qualifies. The entire internet took turns hammering the Chicago Bulls for trading Alex Caruso for Josh Giddey without getting any picks in return, so I’m not going to bother piling on. Similarly, the Denver Nuggets’ offseason was somewhere between underwhelming and depressing, but I’m not the first person to point that out.

I also didn’t include “non-moves” here, although it wouldn’t be hard to come up with a few. For instance, I’m still waiting to find out what the New Orleans Pelicans’ likely opening day lineup looks like — this can’t be it, right? I’m also assuming the Cleveland Cavaliers will eventually sign another player or three and fill out their roster.

Finally, there’s another class of contracts that technically might seem “bad” relative to an analytic model of expected return, but the teams had little choice but to pay or lose the player entirely. The new deals for Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby and Nic Claxton, for instance, definitely fall into this category. Malik Monk’s new pact in Sacramento arguably fits here, too, and even the Philadelphia 76ers’ Paul George signing — the coup of the summer — likely falls into this bucket, as the tail end of his four-year, $212 million deal might be awful. Whatever. Flags fly forever.

Nonetheless, that still leaves some moves about which I still have some questions. Here’s the top five on my “under-scrutinized” list:

Pacers’ Andrew Nembhard extension

Andrew Nembhard signed an extension with Indiana in late July, one that was reported as three years and $59 million. This one came late, while everyone was focused on the Olympics, so a lot of people shrugged their shoulders and said, “Yeah, three years for $59 million? Whatever, sounds OK.”

But on any extension like this, the thing to track isn’t the years and money, but the new years and new money. Indiana already had Nembhard under contract for two more seasons at a paltry $2 million and change each season. The extension wiped away the second of those years, which had been a Pacers team option.

Thus, the true value on this deal is two years and $57 million, which is wild for a player of his pedigree. Yes, Nembhard was good in the playoffs and is a plus team defender with a high overall basketball IQ; he also has a career PER of 10.6. If you think he’s really a 48.6 percent 3-point shooter, like he shot in 17 playoff games, then go nuts … but his career mark is 35.3 percent on middling volume.

Regardless of your opinion on Nembhard, it’s safe to say his becoming the type of player who commands $28 million a year in the open market is a right-tailed outcome from his current station in the league. Effectively, that’s what he was paid.

Additionally, it’s not as if this was the Pacers’ last chance to negotiate a deal like this. They had not one but two more windows left to extend Nembhard — one after next season and the second prior to his entering the 2026 free-agent market. Another year of information heading into next summer, one that helped define whether they were paying for short-term playoff vibes or something more durable, might have been really valuable.

Let’s look at the counterargument, though. One piece of small-market logic holds that retaining rights to players is paramount, and I lived this when I was vice president of basketball operations in Memphis. But even here, the deal falls a bit short: The contract Indiana gave Nembhard was the most the Pacers could pay annually, but the extension runs a year short of the maximum length. A team option for a final year at $19 million or so might have made this whole thing look more palatable.

In particular, the pain point of this deal is the 2025-26 season, where it seems to me the Pacers sacrificed way too much by changing his $2.2 million salary to $18.1 million. For a franchise that is never paying luxury tax, this one could hurt.

The Pacers likely have juuuuust enough room below the tax line (I’m projecting $33 million right now, but with only nine guaranteed contracts) to re-sign Myles Turner and pay their 2025 first-rounder, but they won’t be able to add anything beyond that and still may have to jettison another mid-sized contract to make it work.

Water can go under the bridge between now and next offseason, of course, but right now, it looks like they gave up the use of their nontaxpayer midlevel exception to pay an already-signed Nembhard more money … and didn’t really get much upside in return on the out years. We’ll see how it plays out.

The deal I would have considered doing in Indiana’s shoes would have been the exact same extension in years and money but tacked on after the cheap 2025-26 season — so the new years and new money was a true three-for-59 instead of two-for-57.

Nembhard isn’t turning into a max guy, and role-playing guards had an awfully hard time even getting midlevel exception money this summer. One could argue that even the reported three-for-59 money was a reach based on everything else that happened in the market.

While I love what the Pacers have done in general the last few years to get to the position they’re in, including recently breaking ground for my condo development on Furphy Island, I can’t say I was a fan of this one.

Extension victory laps

The Nembhard extension was the biggest example of a bigger class of offseason move from this summer that I’ll call the “extension victory lap.”

In particular, four players picked in the 2021 draft who wouldn’t make anyone’s list of top 20 players in the league got maximum rookie extensions with supermax language — Detroit’s Cade Cunningham, Toronto’s Scottie Barnes, Cleveland’s Evan Mobley and Orlando’s Franz Wagner. For a draft that has produced one All-Star — an Eastern Conference injury replacement, at that — it’s quite an outcome. It’s particularly notable when the career leader in PER and BPM from this draft is …. Alperen Şengün.

To be fair, each of the teams did get something in return for committing to paying the max: a full, five-year commitment with no player option. (All four max deals were identical in this respect.)

On the other hand, each also gave away some of the theoretical upside of the 25 percent-of-cap rookie max by stepping up to a supermax if the players makes All-NBA. Again, it’s a victory-lap scenario if the player is good enough to do that, but it also strips upside from the original deal. We’ll at least give Cleveland and Orlando some credit for limiting the supermax bump to 27.5 percent of the cap (not the max of 30 percent) if Mobley or Wagner manages to Julius Randle themselves onto third-team All-NBA.

Again, in the big picture, these teams all made good-to-great picks in the 2021 draft to get these four players; champagne all around. But it’s a big difference going from a rookie deal to a max, because a team’s max guys need to be stars. We’re not there yet, folks: Cunningham has a negative career BPM, and Wagner’s is plus-0.1. Wagner, Mobley and Barnes all have big questions about their shooting too. Surely, we can expect each to continue improving in the coming years. That said, if their production doesn’t arrow-up pretty sharply in the next 18 months, the value proposition on their deals will be underwater in the first extension year of 2025-26.

What makes this max-extension quartet so odd is teams have provided other successful road maps to handling situations like this. You’re allowed to negotiate, folks, and perhaps just as importantly, you’re also allowed to wait. A year ago, Philadelphia held the line on a Tyrese Maxey extension, used the additional cap space from his absurdly low cap hold to nab George and still got Maxey’s ink on a five-year, no-options max deal … even after he made the All-Star team.

We have other examples. New Orleans put in non-guarantee provisions in Zion Williamson’s extension even after he’d made an All-Star team; a year earlier, Memphis and Phoenix successfully held the line on max extensions for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Mikal Bridges, respectively. (For that matter, Houston appears to be doing the same this summer with Şengün and the second pick in that 2021 draft, Jalen Green.)

Meanwhile, heading into a 2025 offseason in which only one other team projects to have max cap space (that it could use to offer a max contact the original team would just match anyway after having their cap space on ice for a week while all the other free-agent possibilities vanish) … what, exactly, is the fear here? Angering somebody who hasn’t proven they’re a franchise player by not immediately agreeing to pay them like one?

I feel like the downside of ending with a good-player, not-so-good contact situation a la Deandre Ayton or Michael Porter Jr. has been massively underrated, and nobody learned anything from the Sixers.

Raptors’ Immanuel Quickley contract

If you talk to people around the league, the general sense is that a Raptors organization that didn’t miss a trick for a half-decade run culminating in the 2019 championship has hit a little slump, shall we say, over the most recent five years. Did they take their eye off the ball in the post-title hangover? Was it inevitable that their run of success would hit a bad break or two? Is there some way we can blame the metric system?

In any event, I’m not sure Toronto’s 2024 offseason will be the one that turns the tide. The rebuilding Raptors gave a two-year, $25 million extension to a 33-year-old Kelly Olynyk and immediately watch him look dead-legged in the Olympics; the Barnes extension (see above) is defensible but also felt like a bit of a capitulation.

However, the move that raised the most eyebrows was Immanuel Quickley’s five-year, $163 million deal that can zoom up to $175 million if he hits certain incentives.

I think Quickley is an above-average player: He’s a good shooter, an underrated defender and a nearly Kyle Lowry-esque foul grifter. Advanced metrics love him, and, at 25, he’s still young enough to get better.

That said, his transition from playing mostly off the ball in New York to mostly on it in Toronto was a bit hard on the eyes at the end of last season, more than the top-line numbers make it look. The $32.5 million he’ll make this season is just barely south of the $35.1 million max for a player with four years of experience; he actually can get within a few centimeters of that max if his incentives come through.

For a player of Quickley’s caliber, that’s … wow. He’s basically making the same money this year as James Harden!

As ever with deals like this, another question also comes up: Against whom was Toronto bidding? Quickley was a restricted free agent, giving the Raptors all the leverage; meanwhile, I’m struggling to find the rival that was going to commit to paying him anywhere near this kind of money on an offer sheet.

One argument for maaaaybe committing this big was a pathway Toronto chose not to take. The Raptors could have used the strategy of the Sixers (see above) by declining Bruce Brown’s $23 million team option, not paying Olynyk and using Quickley’s low cap hold to enter the market as a significant cap room player. That would have been the one scenario in which an early agreement with Quickley — to be signed after all the cap-space business was done — might have been truly helpful.

Instead, the Raptors are on the books with more than $70 million committed to Barnes and Quickley in each of the four seasons after the upcoming one. Yes, there are other reasons for some limited optimism — RJ Barrett looks great, for instance, and this same front office has pulled rabbits out of hats before. In the moment, however, it feels like the Raptors painted themselves into a bit of a salary-cap corner without a roster that’s worthy of such a commitment.

Bulls’ Patrick Williams deal

Tired: Hammering Chicago for not getting picks in the Caruso trade. Wired: Letting Chicago off the hook for the five-year, $90 million contract it gave Williams, with a fifth-year player option to boot.

I love the general concept of Chicago pulling the ripcord and going young, even if it came a year too late. On the other hand, Williams got paid because he was the fourth pick in the 2020 draft and because … actually I’m struggling with the rest of this.

He’s the type of player where the idea of what he can do is intoxicating, and being confronted with the reality of what he actually does is much less so. An athletic 6-foot-7 forward who is a career 41 percent shooter from 3? Oh my goodness, sign me up!

However, Williams still hasn’t shot 3s with enough frequency to really put a scare into defenses as a floor spacer (just 6.1 3s per 100 possessions last season), perhaps because he’s much more potent on catch-and-shoot corner 3s than from the rest of the floor or off the dribble. (Williams shoots a commendable 44.6 percent on corner 3s for his career but 38.8 percent from elsewhere.) One also can fairly argue that a rethink in Chicago’s general offensive philosophy might weaponize him to shoot more 3s.

For a low-usage player, Williams also takes way too many shots from suboptimal places. Though he’s also quite athletic, less than half his 2s come at the rim. He’s not a capable enough ballhandler to get there on his own steam and struggles to read the game in live action; as a result, he rarely draws fouls and too often defaults into one-dribble long 2s.

The endgame of all that is that his top-line numbers end up extremely meh: an 11.0 PER, 55.3 percent true shooting and minus-2.3 BPM last season, with similar numbers from his other three seasons. Despite his seeming athleticism, he’s an acceptable-but-not-great defender, while the board work is borderline embarrassing (7.9 percent rebound rate last season, just barely nudging him past Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard).

Re-signing Williams wasn’t just a paper cost, either; Chicago could have been gifted Harrison Barnes and a free pick swap with Sacramento in the DeMar DeRozan deal if it hadn’t re-signed Williams. (With Williams on the books, adding Barnes would have put the Bulls deep into the luxury tax; despite playing in the league’s third-largest market, this line is basically an electrified fence for Chicago’s ownership.)

One can argue Williams turns 23 this summer and has upside left to explore, but this deal pays him as though it’s a sure thing he’ll get significantly better. It feels like a big leap of faith when he’s been there four years and barely improved at all.

There was definitely a number at which it made sense with Williams, but five years and $90 million with a player option isn’t it. And if another rival wanted to pay him that money … let them. It wasn’t any kind of existential threat to the Bulls.

Lakers’ Max Christie contract

Max Christie was a bit of a cause célèbre for Lakers fans last season in a backup-quarterback kind of way. He was always the guy fans wanted to play instead of whatever mediocre veteran happened to be sabotaging L.A.’s second unit that night.

The problem was that A) they actually tried him quite a bit (944 minutes across 67 games), and B) he wasn’t any good (8.4 PER, minus-3.6 BPM), such that C) he couldn’t crack the full-strength rotation of what was arguably the worst bench in the league. Thus, it was a bit shocking to see the Lakers commit to a four-year, $32 million free-agent deal to bring him back, one that included a fourth-year player option. Talking to some other people around the league, I don’t think I’m alone in this opinion.

Christie is only 21, had an excellent 2023 summer league and is a good athlete. He has the basic, hazy outlines of a 3-and-D guy. Paying him room-exception type money still feels like a reach when actual 3-and-D guys struggled to get any more than that this summer, with the player option as an exclamation point. Nonetheless, in a Washington Wizards-type rebuilding situation, you might be more inclined to look the other way and try to take the long view.

That is … not the Lakers’ situation. What made this move particularly notable was that it took the Lakers out of other scenarios in free agency. Any team with LeBron James and Anthony Davis needs to be all-in on right now, and the Lakers seemingly passed up a few other opportunities to go in that direction. (We aren’t tapping their phones, so we don’t know exactly what they could have done, but they had three first-round picks and matching salary lying around this June. Who knows, maybe they still do something minutes after this article publishes.)

From that perspective, Christie was another opportunity cost, because the $7.1 million cap number for Christie essentially took the Lakers out of using their taxpayer midlevel exception while still staying below the second apron. (That latter consideration was necessary to keep any realistic in-season trade flexibility alive, which is why James took a slight haircut off the max on his new deal.)

The $5.2 million taxpayer MLE could have been used to target badly needed bench upgrades instead of running it back with almost entirely the same group. Lakers exceptionalism has its limits, but a small-ish exception like this, historically, has been a much more valuable chip in L.A. than in other places, because A) it’s the Lakers, and B) the role is to play next to James and hit fungoes. Even at the risk of Christie walking, that seemed like the better gamble at this point in the roster’s life cycle.

I’ll back off on this somewhat if L.A. ends up finding another way to a significant roster upgrade, especially if it doesn’t take the Lakers until February to find it. But right now, it’s the fifth and final member of my “all-under-scrutinized” summer transactions.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:14 am

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5723752/2024/08/26/anthony-edwards-magic-johnson-lakers-timberwolves-nba-kobe-bryant-lakers-the-bounce/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=13921316

Beef Court

The case of Magic Johnson vs. Anthony Edwards

If you were wondering how the NBA would fill the time between Team USA’s gold medal performance in the Olympics and media day in late September, the answer is … dramatically. In a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal, Anthony Edwards was asked about the difference between his generation of players and older generations. His answer was:

“I didn’t watch it back in the day, so I can’t speak on it. They say it was tougher back then than it is now, but I don’t think anybody had skill back then. [Michael Jordan] was the only one that really had skill, you know what I mean? So, that’s why when they saw Kobe [Bryant], they were like, ‘Oh, my God.’ But now everybody has skill.”

I’m sure the older generations will handle that critique well! Magic Johnson, one of the greatest to ever do it, fired back during a live interview on stage with Stephen A. Smith:

“I don’t never respond to a guy that’s never won a championship. There’s not nothing to really say. He didn’t win a college championship. I don’t even know if he won a high school championship.”

Time to take this to Beef Court, present both sides, and make a ruling!

The case for Magic: I mean … the resume speaks for itself! High school championship. NCAA title. Five NBA championships. In a span of 12 seasons from his senior year of high school through his ninth season in the NBA, Magic’s teams won seven titles. That’s absurd! He knows winning. He’s also arguably the best passer in basketball history — a massively important skill. And while Magic didn’t look like Jamal Crawford with a basketball in his hand (who does?), he could really handle the rock. He wasn’t a great jump shooter, but he also shot 84.8 percent from the free-throw line.

The case for Edwards: First and foremost, he did win a high school championship his junior season, but that’s not really the argument-ender here. I think it’s totally possible to respect the older generations for setting the table for current and future generations while also acknowledging skill and athleticism have improved dramatically. Edwards didn’t exactly do that. However, ball skill (shooting and dribbling) has skyrocketed with even average role players compared to prior eras. There was more than Michael Jordan then, but Edwards was making a point. Also, you can’t really say you won’t respond to someone for whatever reason whilst actively responding to them, which is what Magic did here. That’s technically a point for Edwards. I’m just scorekeeping!

🧑‍⚖ Verdict: As much as I love Edwards and believe his point had some validity beyond the semantics of it all, we rule in the favor of Magic. His career wins out against most, especially in making this point. However, Isiah Thomas using this as a chance to take a shot at “The Last Dance” nearly tanked his case.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Youth is wasted on the young." - George Bernard Shaw.  "Youth is wasted on the young and stupid or ignorant" - Bob Heckler

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:25 pm

It is a good thing that Ant-Ed can do, 'cause he ain't smart enough to teach.

He needs to do some research.  And not the recent generations version: Google search, read the top result, and then claim to be an expert in the topic at hand. Rolling Eyes

No, he'll have to read more than just that before he can speak to this topic and be taken seriously.

/rant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next