WEST REPORT

2 posters

Go down

WEST REPORT Empty WEST REPORT

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Jan 3, 2011

By A. Sherrod Blakely

BOSTON — The Boston Celtics continue to inch closer to having a healthy roster for the first time this season.

Celtics guard Delonte West, who suffered a broken (non-shooting) right wrist injury on Nov. 24 against New Jersey, had his hard cast taken off on Monday.

While West has been optimistic that he would return to action potentially this month, CSNNE.com has learned that West's return is expected for at least another month.

"He's starts doing a little bit of strength training now," Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, told CSNNE.com. "We're still looking after the all-star break for Delonte to be back on the court with us."

West was out for the first 10 games of the season while serving a 10-game suspension after pleading guilty this past summer for weapons charges.

He had only appeared in five games prior to the injury, which occurred when he landed awkwardly while driving to the basket against the Nets.

From the moment he hit the floor, it was clear that the injury would sideline him for a while.

Although West is a reserve, there's no mistaking the impact of his absence.

The 6-foot-3 guard's ability to play both backcourt positions gives Celtics coach Doc Rivers the luxury of providing some additional rest to Rajon Rondo. In addition, he gives the C's another ball-handler with the second unit, which allows Nate Robinson to be more of a scorer rather than a facilitator which doesn't play to his strengths.

In an interview with CSNNE.com last month, West was optimistic that he could return to action ahead of schedule.

"I feel great," he said. "I wish I was healthy and playing, but as far as the progress … the surgery went well."

The C's are indeed a better team with West in the mix.

But to risk bringing him back too soon, even with injuries recently to Rondo, is not an option.

"We've been really fortunate to have so much depth this season," Ainge said. "But we didn't think we'd have to test it as much, this early. But we're doing well. Guys are making the most of their opportunities to play. Once we get everyone back healthy, I really like … no, I really love our team and our chances."

A. Sherrod Blakely can be reached at sblakely@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sherrod on Twitter at http://twitter.com/sherrodbcsn.

Back to top Go down

WEST REPORT Empty Re: WEST REPORT

Post by jeb Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:54 pm

cmon Delonte

We are all pullin for you and man will you help our team...this squad is stacked and when we get all our hosses back we will WHUP the rest of the nba.

jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down