Welcome to the 2009-10 Season Preview: "BETTER THAN NUMBER ONE"

2 posters

Go down

Welcome to the 2009-10 Season Preview: "BETTER THAN NUMBER ONE" Empty Welcome to the 2009-10 Season Preview: "BETTER THAN NUMBER ONE"

Post by Sam Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:23 pm

The 2009-10 NBA season is upon us, so it’s time for an update on the outlook for the Celtics. And could there be a better mantra for the upcoming season than Doc’s comment when he was asked if he hoped the Celtics would regain their position is the number one defensive team. Doc’s response: “We want to be BETTER than number one.” That’s a statement of Auerbachian,Russellian/Havlicekian/Birdian (??) proportions.

This team has so much going for it that it’s almost embarrassing:

• Unlike some other teams, the players they brought on board not only enhance their talent pool but also upgrade. Some additions to a team set back the development of chemistry somewhat. Sheed and Daniels will contribute both directly and indirectly, from the outset, by enabling their teammates.

• The Celtics have team goals. They don’t have two stars on a potential collision course because they both need to dominate the ball. They don’t have egomanics who are driven by individual objectives that teammates don’t necessarily share. Their resident intensity guru seems more infectious than those on the Lakers or Cavs. And the intensity level of the Celtics somehow seems missing on the Spurs and Magic.

• Chemistry, which was a Celtics question mark as recently as two years ago, is now in their favor. And it’s an adaptive chemistry, as when they were forced to reinvent themselves after losing KG last season. Imagine what might have happened if Sheed and Daniels had been on last year’s team. Sheed could have filled in for KG; the bench wouldn’t have become so rag tag; and they would probably have had momentum (rather than a survival mentality) going for them at playoff time.

ยช The depth of this team is not just injury insurance. This will be one of the most versatile teams in Celtics history. It may be midseason before Doc has discovered all the matchup and player-combination options at his disposal.

• Doc’s rather outlandish statement establishes that the team’s priorities are in directions that win championships—especially defense. They should really be a defensive force once again, although I don’t expect them to hit their defensive peak until closer to the playoffs. (It can take that long to fine-tune the kind of defensive machine they’ll be creating.)

• Doc’s coaching style doesn’t try to force-fit the players into a style with which he’s comfortable: a triangle, square, hexagon or rhombus. He’s very good at adapting the system to fit the resources offered by the players. Doc also excels in making adjustments, which is why the Celts so frequently score after timeouts or do a complete turnaround at halftime. And, with such a versatile team, he has the tools to adjust in nearly any direction.

• Even young guys like Giddens and Hudson have shown signs of being able to find ways to contribute. Their focus on filling roles is likely to find them situational playing time, not just garbage playing time. Or they may wind up in the D-League. (If one of them goes, I hope both of them go, because I really want to see them develop into a dynamic duo.)

• The Celtics are likely to be in a highly competitive conference. This has been an overlooked factor in the past. Very often, the Celtics reach the finals only after having been battle-hardened in their conference, while the Bridesmaid Lakers have feasted on so-called “weak sisters” in their conference and are not prepared for the rigors of championship finals. The respective season openers are almost a microcosm of this phenomenon: Celtics-Cavs and Lakers-Clippers. I know I disagree (in a friendly way) with BabySkyHook on this point, but it’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Over the years, I think Red’s concept of “sixth man” has become somewhat diluted. Sometimes I believe people feel the best sixth man is the guy who happens to be in the sixth roster slot and happens to play better than any other guy who’s in a sixth roster slot. But I believe Red viewed the sixth man not just as his sixth best player but as someone who could be a catalyst and could confront opponents with a different “look” and a potentially game-changing matchup when he entered the game. Marquis Daniels could very well fit that description. His mind seems like a sponge as he learns more about his teammates. He has what I call the “Agassi approach” to scoping out opponents and seizing on their vulnerabilities like the dentist seems to do whenever I have a cavity.

• KG is certainly jacked and is playing well, albeit still a bit tentatively. With him, it’s no longer a matter of his coming back skill-wise but what percentage of his athleticism he can regain. However, it’s somewhat less of a concern this season because of the depth on the team.

• Doc has deemphasized Paul and Ray in the preseason. However, Paul has shown a readiness to put the team on his back when necessary, as in the past. In the last game or two, Ray has scored points, although I hope that the additional plays Doc has promised will help him to do so more effortlessly as time passes.

• Nothing’s perfect. There are questions about injuries, Rondo’s consistency in running a team and his shooting, backup PG, over-taxing Paul and Ray, etc. But, in addition to the mainstays, just think about the strides so many complementary members of this team have already made in their ability to contribute:

√ Baby: Becoming a force down low and committed to switching off with Sheed in becoming an inside-outside dual force

√ Eddie: Vinnie Johnson and perhaps more when freed to play his most natural position; perhaps the quickest great shooter I’ve ever seen

√ ‘Quis: Surprising PG skills

√ Perk: Turnaround jumper, less foul-prone movement on his picks, fewer turnovers

√ Hudson and Giddens: The “Jones Boys of tomorrow?”

This is my 60th year as not just a Celtics fan but a full-fledged Celtics fanatic. I’ve encountered every possible emotion in following this team. And, at this moment, I can honestly say I’m more jazzed about the start of this season than has ever before been the case. I hope you’ll join me.

GO CELTICS!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the 2009-10 Season Preview: "BETTER THAN NUMBER ONE" Empty Re: Welcome to the 2009-10 Season Preview: "BETTER THAN NUMBER ONE"

Post by NickFaldo Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Sam, this is why you are known as being the most important Celtic blogger since Al Gore invented the internet. On a side note, I don't think Big Al said that, but he was one of the people who helped push legislation or something to get the 0's and 1's moving. Anyway, I wanted to throw in a couple pennies or maybe even a Kennedy half dollar. I had a feeling the Celtics were going to be very good this year, but there were still a lot of concerns about KG's knee, the need for a backup point guard, and the loss of Leon Powe. The last two concerns seem to have been met with the resigning of Big Baby, the signing of Sheed, and the emergence of Daniels and Eddie, not to mention the potential of Hudson. Plus, there is going to be an addition by subtraction in regards to Mikki Moore. He may have the best hair in the game, but he is the most useless seven footer I have seen since Acie Earl and Eric Montrosity. I have now come full board in thinking this Celtic team is truly a team of destiny, that they are not just about to win #18, but that they are prepared to reach for their entrance into Celtic lore. The Celtics are not just about winning titles but multiple titles. It's easy to remember the 17 like we can remember history by who has been President. 11 with Russell. Two with Tommy "this is ridiculous" Heinsohn coaching. Three with the Big Three. One with the new Big Three and the Two Uglies. Don't blame me for the Two Uglies comment. That one was coined by Perk. In regards to KG's knee, I have no doubts after reading this article- Fixing the NBA’s Most Important Knee. I think by mid-season his knee will be completely healed, and any diminishing output by KG will have more to do with him getting older and having a lot of NBA mileage on his resume. Plus, with all this talk about the balloon game, I have no doubt that age will not be what stops the Celtics from winning #18. I believe the only team that can beat the Celtics are the Celtics. I think once the Celtics win #18, and hopefully against the Lakers, that we'll all be able to return to BDC if we so choose. I miss going there, but not that much because of what it has turned into. Even if it does return to some of the glory days when yourselves made it a great place to spend time, I believe there is no going back, and that lemonade has been made out of lemons with the emergence of this forum and dslack's. Cue up Glory Days by the Boss. Cool

NickFaldo

Back to top Go down