Troy Murphy Picks Celtics Over Heat Empty Troy Murphy Picks Celtics Over Heat

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Updated: March 1, 2011, 12:03 PM ET
Troy Murphy picks Celtics over Heat
EmailPrintComments
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive
Highly coveted free agent Troy Murphy is signing with the Boston Celtics.

Murphy told ESPN.com via e-mail that he will join the Celtics after spending much of the past 48 hours agonizing between Boston and the Miami Heat. Murphy reached terms of a buyout with the Golden State Warriors on Sunday.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the season with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

Murphy also received recruiting pitches this week from Portland, New York and Orlando, sources said, but the 6-foot-10 forward was always determined to sign with a top contender in anticipation of making the first deep playoff run of his career. Murphy has played in more games (639) than any other active player without appearing in the playoffs.

The East's top two teams chased Murphy hard, seeing him as this season's P.J. Brown in terms of being a difference-making big man. Boston now will hope that Murphy's perimeter touch and proven ability to rebound can fortify its frontcourt rotation like Brown did when he joined the Celtics midway through the 2007-08 season. Brown contributed greatly during Boston's championship run in the first season together for Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.

Missing out on Murphy will come as a blow to the Heat, who thought they could trump Boston's offer -- since both teams are restricted to paying a pro-rated share of the NBA's veteran minimum -- with the minutes they could offer Murphy while Udonis Haslem continues to recover from a long-term foot injury.

Miami's hope was to come out of this week with Murphy and veteran guard Mike Bibby, who forfeited his entire 2011-12 salary of $6.2 million to convince the Washington Wizards to let him go so he could join a contender for the rest of the season.

WHY ALL OF YOU THOUGHT THAT AN IRISHMAN WOULD PICK SOUTH BEACH OVER SOUTH BOSTON!

Back to top Go down

Troy Murphy Picks Celtics Over Heat Empty Re: Troy Murphy Picks Celtics Over Heat

Post by Sam Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 pm

That's one. Very good news, in my estimation.

I'm not rooting for Corey Brewer to join the Celtics.

I think Gadzuric is on the way to London with the Nets, so it looks as though I don't get that wish.

Thanks for the news, 112288.

Last edited by sam on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Troy Murphy Picks Celtics Over Heat Empty Re: Troy Murphy Picks Celtics Over Heat

Post by sinus007 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi,
I guess it's a good news.
My question is how will Doc use him: at 5, at 4 or both? How it'll affect BBD's position?
Thank you very much,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I've never thought of Murphy as a 5, although perhaps he could serve there in a pinch. I feel he could be used in either of a couple of ways:

1. Off the bench with Davis, with Murphy playing the 4 and stretching the floor while Davis plays 5 down low.

2. Off the bench, playing the 4 and stretching the floor while Davis plays 5 with the starters and Kristic (or possibly Shaq) plays 5 with the bench.

In other words, I envision him working in tandem with another big for rebounding purposes and adding the floor-spreading dimension that none of our other bigs has. I'm not claiming he'd have an automatic place in the rotation; but, as time goes on and matchup situations or injuries or foul problems arise, he could be a handy guy to have around.

Welcome to Boston, Troy. See you at the Black Rose Bar on March 17th.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Sam, I am breathing a little easier since I saw the news. I think Murphy will help and go along way from easing the loss of Perk on the court. He's a big kid and can rebound which has been our weakness for the past 3 years. I would say we should see him by the weekend.

I think I'm stopping at Finn McCoo's in Port Washington tonight and have a pint or two!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Sam,
Thanks. Another possibility I forgot to mention is: get Troy so Miami doesn't get him. Not a long term solution, but who knows what happens after June 2011.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I think he can earn a spot next year if he performs.

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Like the signing, mainly because there isn't a better big on the scrap heap. He should help with floor spacing as mentioned above and hopefully can grab some boards.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Murph could be like a fertizer

10-5-5 ...........10 Min 5 pts 5 boards
I could live with that.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Forsberg's analysis of the deal from Espn.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4681222/analysis-cs-play-keep-away-with-murphy
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Good move bu the celtics.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Just read Chris Foreberg article that Tick Tock posted and I can tell you what I think of Foresberg....he's an idiot! Not only will Murphy crack the 8 man rotation I'll go as far as to say he takes Kristic's place! Doc is not burying this guy on the roster. This guy just ran into a personality conflict with the NJ coach he is a sold double double guy who is a rebounding machine and has great touch outside.

Murphy will be a fan favorite not because he's playing in Boston and he's Irish and some mascot like Brian Scal, he going to produce first and foremost and win games! The guy is a terrific player and was for the Pacers!

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Congrats guys-

he's a good get. won't help on D that much, but his floor-spacing and board work will help with the 2nd unit.

He's better at the 4 than Green, who does well at the 3, but gets overpowered by 4s, so this helps the entire bench.

West, Wafer, Green, Murphy, Davis is a very nice 2nd unit.

Murphy vs LO will be a good battle on the boards.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Some quick info on Murphy. Coming into this year Murphy had played 10 seasons (so this is his 11th year). In 8 out of those 10 years he averaged at least 10 pts and in 5 out of those 8 years he also averaged at least 10 boards. Looks like this deal will be a steal if he can return to those numbers.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Whats shaking Sky?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 pm

jeb wrote:
Whats shaking Sky?

Doing all right buddy. Spending some time on the computer instead of getting other things done, but why not ? Trade deadline and buyout deadline only comes once a year. My favorite times in the NBA: Playoffs, Lakers-Cs reg season games, trade deadline week/ buyout week, draft day, everything else.

So I loved last week. What an incredible flurry of moves, capped by two shockers in Dwill and Perk getting moved.

Now much more importantly, what's going on with you my friend ?
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 pm

through chemo. Got to face radiation and then surgery. So I am pretty close to halfway in my treatments. The tumor has not grown so I am holding my own.

Lost about 40 pounds and weak weak weak but still upright and I remain hopeful I can whip this stuff.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:24 pm

btw, here' some stats on our newest newbie, per 36mpg, this season:

34%fg%, 17% 3ptfg%, 53%ft%, 9.4rpg, 8.1ppg.

Now, here's last year's numbers, per 36mpg:

47%fg%, 38% 3ptfg%, 80%ft%, 11.3rpg, 16.1ppg

It's like his game just dropped off a table this year. Is it because he's out of shape or because he was in NJ?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

jeb wrote:
through chemo. Got to face radiation and then surgery. So I am pretty close to halfway in my treatments. The tumor has not grown so I am holding my own.

Lost about 40 pounds and weak weak weak but still upright and I remain hopeful I can whip this stuff.

Halfway through and no growth ? That's FANTASTIC news!!!! So glad to hear it buddy.

Hells yeah you ARE going to whip it!!!

Just like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw

and these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo&feature=related

and these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MNL16zjYtw

Keep it up my man!!!!!
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm

jeb wrote:

If the chemo didn't get you, the radiation and surgery probably won't. Chemo's the worst. A buddy of mine just went through radiation for his larynx. 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Just finished a few weeks ago. He's done. He beat it. His throat hurt some and he talked in a whisper, but his voice is just about back now and he's clean.

Ganas, brother, ganas. You're actually more than halfway home because the tough part is past you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Jeb-

don't forget about these guys either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHeRgme7lYY
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Aw man...all THREE of those get me EVERY time Sky. Well done lad.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Damn your black heart Sky! Ouch.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Let's not over analze the Troy Murphy signing.

He was always a player that I admired and I think he is a perfect Celtics type player. Basically this team has NO scubs. Everybody can play. The team is now more athletic with the JG signing and will add another athletic wing player in Brewer. These are the type of players that we need to neutralize the Lebron James' of the world. While we may lose some of the physicality in the middle without Perk we have significantly upgraded our wings and also our offense at the 5 spot with Krstic.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 pm

dboss wrote:Let's not over analze the Troy Murphy signing.

He was always a player that I admired and I think he is a perfect Celtics type player. Basically this team has NO scubs. Everybody can play. The team is now more athletic with the JG signing and will add another athletic wing player in Brewer. These are the type of players that we need to neutralize the Lebron James' of the world. While we may lose some of the physicality in the middle without Perk we have significantly upgraded our wings and also our offense at the 5 spot with Krstic.

dboss

dboss,

I think you've summed it up well.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next