bobc33
mrkleen09
willjr
NESportsfan12
DJ
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic

Post by jeb Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Man I hated that guy but now look at that whole squad with nothing but respect. Though I still think Byron Scott's a douche.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic

Post by irishmic Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:27 am

so many great players already listed, one of my favorites was Wes Unseld, I think he would have been a good Celtic because of his role of rebounding and defense, great attitude and played efficiently within his skill set.
irishmic
irishmic

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic - Page 2 Empty Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Connie Hawkins
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:16 pm

john stockton.. i always dreamed of him playing for boston

sir charles and moses malone tie for second

mo cheeks a distant 4th

mark price a very distant 5th
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:09 am

Hey Laimbeer

Hows it hangin? We got a pistons man in this forum?

Welcome!

jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:14 am

Micheall Jordan hands down

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:17 am

DJ wrote:We all have our fave Celtic, be it Cousy,Sam,Larry,Cowens,Rex Morgan,etc.......give us "that other guy"--the one you always wished was a Celtic because of his work ethic,style,or the fact that you just liked his game.
I'll start....

Elgin Baylor----unparalled offensive moves (dr.j before dr.j),terrific rebounder and great passer.Mid to late career hampered by knee problems---the greates "hangin" jump shot in nba history.

Modern era: Michael Jordan
Pre Jordan: The Big O Oscar Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:56 am

Hi everyone. I'm focusing on the question being favorite, not best, non-Celtic. These guys are favorites that come to mind.

Nate Thurmond. All-around player, great defender and rebounder and good offensively. Just loved the way he played. No one played better defense against big men. A treasured memory is seeing him block Kareem's sky hook, the supposedly unblockable shot.

Rick Barry, offensively at least. Not a great defender, to put it mildly, but the man could shoot and score on anyone. It's ridiculous that more players don't shoot free throws underhand like he did, but most of them are too vain and think it isn't "manly."

Joe Dumars. I disliked the Pistons, but I really liked Dumars. A quiet, stealthy superstar.

Magic Johnson. A transcendent player. A 6-9 point guard with supreme ballhandling skills and court vision. Ran the fast break as well as anyone. Ultimate competitor and winner. Turned himself from a lousy shooter to a good one by the end of his career.

George Gervin. Saw him play once when he scored 18 in the first half and then got hot in the second. So smooth, and such a deadly shooter and scorer. "Iceman" is a great nickname for him.

Bill Walton, during the unfortunately brief time when he had gained the experience to be great and before injuries took their toll. At his best, he played the center position as well as anyone ever has.

Walt Frazier. Although he has a flamboyant image because of his outrageous clothes, he was a steady, calm, decidedly unflashy player (unlike Earl the Pearl). Complete player at his position. Great in pressure situations. Great anticipation.

Tim Duncan, pre-2008. Such a solid, unglamorous player with quiet determination. The intelligent application of finely-honed skill in both individual and team play. Watched the Spurs tonight, and his knee trouble is making him a shadow of his former self. I thought the Spurs would contend this year, but now I don't think they can because they can't do it with his knee like this. It's a shame.

Pete Maravich. Watching him was a guilty pleasure. He's like junk food -- you know it's not good for you, but it's so darn enjoyable. He did so many things that I know weren't the right way to play basketball, but he did them with such flair and energy that it was a celebration of life. How could you possibly tell him to not play that way?

James Worthy. Combined solid fundamentals with great athleticism. Good outside shooter with a great first step either way and great leaping ability, so you had to pick your poison. Despite the pass stolen by Gerald Henderson, he excelled in pressure situations.

Hakeem Olajuwon. Relatively short but otherwise the complete physical package. The one center I think compares best athletically with Russell. Used quickness, footwork, and leaping ability to dominate opponents.

Steve Nash. I just like watching him play. At his best, he can totally discombobulate a defense.

Mostly players from the "old days," which is a shame. Not sure if that says something about me or the league. Probably both.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Outside wrote:Hi everyone. I'm focusing on the question being favorite, not best, non-Celtic. These guys are favorites that come to mind.

Nate Thurmond. All-around player, great defender and rebounder and good offensively. Just loved the way he played. No one played better defense against big men. A treasured memory is seeing him block Kareem's sky hook, the supposedly unblockable shot.

Rick Barry, offensively at least. Not a great defender, to put it mildly, but the man could shoot and score on anyone. It's ridiculous that more players don't shoot free throws underhand like he did, but most of them are too vain and think it isn't "manly."

Joe Dumars. I disliked the Pistons, but I really liked Dumars. A quiet, stealthy superstar.

Magic Johnson. A transcendent player. A 6-9 point guard with supreme ballhandling skills and court vision. Ran the fast break as well as anyone. Ultimate competitor and winner. Turned himself from a lousy shooter to a good one by the end of his career.

George Gervin. Saw him play once when he scored 18 in the first half and then got hot in the second. So smooth, and such a deadly shooter and scorer. "Iceman" is a great nickname for him.

Bill Walton, during the unfortunately brief time when he had gained the experience to be great and before injuries took their toll. At his best, he played the center position as well as anyone ever has.

Walt Frazier. Although he has a flamboyant image because of his outrageous clothes, he was a steady, calm, decidedly unflashy player (unlike Earl the Pearl). Complete player at his position. Great in pressure situations. Great anticipation.

Tim Duncan, pre-2008. Such a solid, unglamorous player with quiet determination. The intelligent application of finely-honed skill in both individual and team play. Watched the Spurs tonight, and his knee trouble is making him a shadow of his former self. I thought the Spurs would contend this year, but now I don't think they can because they can't do it with his knee like this. It's a shame.

Pete Maravich. Watching him was a guilty pleasure. He's like junk food -- you know it's not good for you, but it's so darn enjoyable. He did so many things that I know weren't the right way to play basketball, but he did them with such flair and energy that it was a celebration of life. How could you possibly tell him to not play that way?

James Worthy. Combined solid fundamentals with great athleticism. Good outside shooter with a great first step either way and great leaping ability, so you had to pick your poison. Despite the pass stolen by Gerald Henderson, he excelled in pressure situations.

Hakeem Olajuwon. Relatively short but otherwise the complete physical package. The one center I think compares best athletically with Russell. Used quickness, footwork, and leaping ability to dominate opponents.

Steve Nash. I just like watching him play. At his best, he can totally discombobulate a defense.

Mostly players from the "old days," which is a shame. Not sure if that says something about me or the league. Probably both.

Outside

outside,

Nice list, written well. Very entertaining read.

I have trouble picking just one too.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite ALL-TIME non-Celtic - Page 2 Empty born a Celtic but never wore the uniform

Post by gacracker Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 am

Better late than never.....

Buck Williams, 17 years as an NBA pro, 3 time all star, 16,000 points, 13,000 rebounds... I loved his team oriented, understated, unselfish journeyman style of play and fully expected him to one day somehow wear Celtic green. 1981 to 1999.

Never happened. He was born to be a Celtic... but never played for us.

What a shame.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2