David14
mrkleen09
beat
gyso
LilRip
17 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What To Do With Baby? - Page 3 Empty Re: What To Do With Baby?

Post by beat Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 am

Laimbeer

I have no control over wether you stay or go.

I think your offerings at least on this thread border on troll like behavior

And why put up an AVATAR of one of the most HATED players of all time to a Celtic fan if you do want to "come here in peace"?

Makes no sense to me.
This is a troll free CELTIC board and other fans are certainly welcome here and are ALREADY here contributing in a positive light and not IT'S not all pro Celtic either.

Heck, I to will root for Detroit.........when they play the Lakers, Orlando, or the Cavs.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am

I have asked for trade or other alternatives to discuss...as yet none have been offered. I'm trying to have a civilized debate.

3 way deals are a way of life in today's NBA.

Injuring ones self in a brawl on one's personal time is so immature to qualify as regression in and of itself.....and his preseason performance was not impressive in my opinion....personal responsibility weighs into that.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:39 am

Where the heck do you come up with 320 LBS?

explain that!

As for alternatives to debate?

It's been explained to you about BB's contract.

Plus maybe we (many Celtic fans) see no need to DEBATE something that we don't feel is going to happen or want to happen.

As for your so called keen observation to determine his regression in PRE SEASON? Man go to work for ESPN then.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:55 am

Bill Laimbeer wrote:and his preseason performance was not impressive in my opinion....personal responsibility weighs into that.

Then you dont watch much basketball. Davis looked solid in the pre season, averaging 9 points and 4 rebounds in 19 min per game. PLUS, he took the ball to the hoop often, as he shot more free throws than anyone on the roster.

Dont know what games you were watching, but dont let the facts get in the way of your point.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:57 am

My guess....and it is just that......is that Glen weighed 290-300 in August and has gained while out. Most listed weights for large players are grossly understated in league guides. I don't think Davis has been at 270 or less in many years, nor would his body type be appropriate for such.

I factor in behavior in determining player progress, and based on Celts management statements as regards the injury, DA and Doc do as well.

The post I responded to was 'What to do with Big Baby', so other fans are exploring alternatives and I offered my opinion. I welcome any alternatives you may offer and certainly status quo is one, and I respect that, beat.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:00 am

mrkleen

I really gotta wonder about this.

Mus/Gator and BSK are Laker fans and objective. They dis the lakers and offer objective observations about their theam the Lakers.

This guy slams a particular "slamable" Celtic at this time.
Has yet to offer anything about his team.
Trade situations that could never happen.....Why would the C's want Ben?

???????????

Just gotta wonder why?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:06 am

The topic was Big Baby not the Pistons....and I am an NBA fan at this point....don't tie myself to a single team.

If pressed to evaluate Detroit my feeling....and it is just that......is that the free agents signings Joe made this often were misguided and Detroit would have been better served enduring a lost season, gaining a high pick in 2010 and using their available cap dollars next off season.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:06 am

Bill

So because in your opinion ALL weights are understated with "bigs"

That BB is now 320 and thats your rational?

He can still work out, a thumb is a long way from the legs.
He is a quality bench player that will get into the rotation soon upon his return.

Although one can never be 100% sure of anything, if there is an offer out there that will "help" this team now and into the future Ainge will consider it.

Ben Wallace has no future...............anywhere on an NBA floor.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:07 am

Bill Laimbeer wrote:The topic was Big Baby not the Pistons....and I am an NBA fan at this point....don't tie myself to a single team.

If pressed to evaluate Detroit my feeling....and it is just that......is that the free agents signings Joe made this often were misguided and Detroit would have been better served enduring a lost season, gaining a high pick in 2010 and using their available cap dollars next off season.

Joe made this off season were misguided..................excuse typo
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:41 am

I don't think trading Davis is an option that anybody is talking about for all the reasons already mentioned. In regards to his weight, I think I'll take Doc's word over Laimbeer's opinion:

“He’s in the best shape he’s been in in training camp,’’ Rivers said. “I don’t know if he’s more motivated. He’s more mature. All the young guys grow up, and I think they understand what you have to be to start camp and what you have to do to have a good season. Each year, guys learn stuff, and Baby each year has gotten better and better and more mature.’’
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:59 am

I truly hope Glen comes back in top form and contributes mightily. As conditioning has long been a problem with him I hold it be a concern as he rehabilitates.

Doc's statements regarding Davis' maturity are accurate and noted, but framed in the sense they were made prior to his injury.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:10 am

KellyGreen17 wrote:I don't think trading Davis is an option that anybody is talking about for all the reasons already mentioned. In regards to his weight, I think I'll take Doc's word over Laimbeer's opinion:

“He’s in the best shape he’s been in in training camp,’’ Rivers said. “I don’t know if he’s more motivated. He’s more mature. All the young guys grow up, and I think they understand what you have to be to start camp and what you have to do to have a good season. Each year, guys learn stuff, and Baby each year has gotten better and better and more mature.’’

All last year, BBD was officially listed all year long at a svelte (was the needle on the scale stuck?) 289 when it was clear that his tonnage was considerably more than that. Not an unbelievable slim 288, not a round 290, or worse 291 or 301 or 311.

289!

It was like a price point at WalMart. (You know, the 289 price point. For a measley, unbelievably low $289, you too can own ............. !!!!) Pure marketing hype.

I wonder what BBD has learned this year? That he wants to play NFL? More marketing? Probably.

Dunno what to believe this year. No one does.

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 am

I'll bet it wasn't a RollBack price on Baby's weight either!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:15 am

I hold out hope Glen learns from this incident and chooses to somehow turn it into a positive, I am not alone in being concerned about his decision making, however:

David Aldridge, writing for NBA.com, reports the possibility that this could be something that causes Davis to miss significant time.

The Celtics were also waiting on Monday for results of a second opinion on the right thumb injury suffered by backup center Glen Davis, who reportedly suffered the injury in an off-court altercation with a former teammate of his Sunday. "It doesn't look good," said a league source. The Celtics were hopeful that Davis hasn't fractured his thumb; if he did, surgery would be required and Davis would likely miss several months, if not the entire season.
This comes down to a maturity issue with Davis, doesn't it? As a professional athlete, whether he was engaged in some good-natured horsing around with an old friend, or something more serious -- like, maybe, fighting over that all-important last slice of pizza -- Davis shouldn't be involved in anything physical away from the court that could jeopardize his ability to play.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:28 am

By the time that BBD gets back, if he gets back, he might find himself as useless as a hind teat on a bull... warming the bench... watching "SherwinWilliams" play up to his NBA potential.

Maybe that's what BBD will have learned this year. That would be plenty enough. 'Bout time.

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:37 am

Davis is 24 years old. Tell me that you never made a bad decision when you were 24. Yes he needs to mature, that will come with age and hopefully learning from his mistakes. Michael Beasley had a pretty rough summer and acted immaturely as well...are you over on the Heat forum telling them to trade him for a 35 year old, nearly retired player?

Nobody is happy that he broke his thumb, but it happened and the answer is not to trade a promising player away for a player with MAYBE 2 more seasons left in him. I choose to look at the bright side. We have seen Sheldon Williams prove his worth and gain chemistry with the second unit, and Davis learned a valuable lesson. My hope is that we see him come back with a nasty left handed hook and better ball handling skills.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:54 am

Davis is 24 years old. Tell me that you never made a bad decision when you were 24. Yes he needs to mature, that will come with age and hopefully learning from his mistakes. Michael Beasley had a pretty rough summer and acted immaturely as well...are you over on the Heat forum telling them to trade him for a 35 year old, nearly retired player?

Nobody is happy that he broke his thumb, but it happened and the answer is not to trade a promising player away for a player with MAYBE 2 more seasons left in him. I choose to look at the bright side. We have seen Sheldon Williams prove his worth and gain chemistry with the second unit, and Davis learned a valuable lesson. My hope is that we see him come back with a nasty left handed hook and better ball handling skills.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:01 am

I'm not on a Heat Forum...........each year I look for quality forums in NYC, Philadelphia & Boston....my feeling being these are the most knowledgeable fan bases and the most enlightening discussions.

Seems to me Sam has put together a great board.

I would look to play Beasley A LOT early and if successful, also sell high on him were it my choice. I would advocate a similar plan w/ Glen.

Alternatives that would have utility to the Celts was my premise and looking forward to responses that fits the topic 'What to do with Baby'.

I respect those that favor the status quo as well.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:06 am

Lamebeer

Since you claim to have experience on message boards, you should know by now that it isnt necessary to respond over and over and over, stating the same basic point.

If you point isnt strong enough to stand on its own the first 12 times you say it – maybe it isnt a valid point, and it is time to let it go.

What you are doing in this thread is the VERY definition of trolling.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 am

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I just think you are jumping the gun a bit here. The question "What to do with Baby", in my opinion, was asking where he's going to find minutes since Sheldon has been playing so well, not can we trade him. Everyone is human, and everyone makes mistakes. It's not as though he's done something like this every year, and he hasn't had any major issues in his previous time with the C's.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:12 am

Point taken........thanks !
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:20 am

Kelly

My beef is Laimbeer is a newbie here, he comes on and starts out like a troll with a bunch of misinformation that does not stick to the wall so he throws more.........same result.

Now he says he searches forums for quality and found this. OK believeable in of itself. BUT his first post was on the "best non Celtic thread" only said 2 words "connie Hawkins" thats it.

No introduction about himself at all as ALLMOST all others that are new have taken the time to do.

So he says he's not a Piston fan just a "fan" in general.........why the name and the avatar?

Not that any one of these things are wrong any more than they are right.
But this IS a CELTIC forum first and formost. If WE, you, I and some other fans want to get on a particular Celtic is one thing. But for an unknow to all of the sudden appear overnight without even estabishing any creditable history on the board is again not the norm.....not saying wrong just not the norm.

And I do think that BB will get "some" minutes as soon as he gets back. What he does with those will determine much.

As a team we learned the hard way last season you can't have enough bigs, one more healthy one probably gets us by Orlando last year.

Oh well things are what they are.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:31 am

beat wrote:Kelly

My beef is Laimbeer is a newbie here, he comes on and starts out like a troll with a bunch of misinformation that does not stick to the wall so he throws more.........same result.

Now he says he searches forums for quality and found this. OK believeable in of itself. BUT his first post was on the "best non Celtic thread" only said 2 words "connie Hawkins" thats it.

No introduction about himself at all as ALLMOST all others that are new have taken the time to do.

So he says he's not a Piston fan just a "fan" in general.........why the name and the avatar?

Not that any one of these things are wrong any more than they are right.
But this IS a CELTIC forum first and formost. If WE, you, I and some other fans want to get on a particular Celtic is one thing. But for an unknow to all of the sudden appear overnight without even estabishing any creditable history on the board is again not the norm.....not saying wrong just not the norm.

And I do think that BB will get "some" minutes as soon as he gets back. What he does with those will determine much.

As a team we learned the hard way last season you can't have enough bigs, one more healthy one probably gets us by Orlando last year.

Oh well things are what they are.

beat

I appreciate your feelings, beat.

Did not feel elaboration was necessary on the Connie Hawkins post, not saying he was the best, a HOF candidate or even one most people are familiar with.

First Celtics game I ever attended was against Phoenix after their dubious selection of Neil Walk with the 2nd pick overall in that year's draft. Hawkins was the Suns star and as entertaining in that era as anyone I witnessed. Did take the 'T' to that game and sit in an obstructed view seat in the old Garden so I may have some commonalities with the other posters on this site.

Celtics won by the way !
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 am

Bill

Connie Hawkins was a fine selection for that thread.
He was fun to watch and that is the idea behind that, who did we like to watch as non C's.

All I'm saying is you come on here, A CELTIC forum, and spew what I call trollisums out on THIS THREAD about BBD.

He makes a mistake and you look to trade him for a washed up BEN WALLACE. then clown about the weight issue that really isn't (yet or at least till he plays).

OK all are entitled to their opinon as are you. I strongely diagree with a lot of it.

I think your opening act on here could have been a whole lot better than it was, that's all I'm saying.

As for the Old garden. "Obstructed View" had a few meanings. Half the court..................or less.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 am

Laimbeer also said BB's he's peaked and on his way down - i don't see that at all.
i still think the attitude BB brings back from this hiatus is going to be key.

on the topic of the quality of the current "debate" i agree that our newcomer has been baiting, AND switching bait, and isn't here for an honest debate. despite his protestations that he is, his posts belie it. i don't have to list them - gyso already did (though he left off the one where Laimbeer said BB had "peaked" last year). sad to say, i agree with beat that what i see is trollish behavior.

Michael in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next