+5
bobheckler
sinus007
swedeinestonia
Sam
tardust
9 posters

Go down

Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book It Empty Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book It

Post by tardust Sat May 12, 2012 10:07 am

2012 NBA Playoffs: Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book ItBy Abacus Reveals on May 11, 2012 284 reads
2012 Playoffs—Game G…treat that ticket like gold, Celtic fan. That will be Game 7, and it’ll happen in about two weeks. It’s inevitable.

Historically, numerically, the trigonometry of the game (as Mr. Heinsohn might say)? However you approach it.

Boston and Philly will play seven games.

On eight prior occasions in this legendary rivalry, these franchises have played an ultimate game in a playoff series, including three of the last four times.

Moreover, Boston’s atrocious rebounding numbers notwithstanding, these two teams run neck-and-neck when it comes to efficient play.

Consider these numbers:

Doug Collins’s troops converted—made a field goal or earned free throw attempts—3,040 of their 6,119 regular season possessions, 49.7 percent, 12th in the NBA. Boston went 3,052 for 6,177, 49.4 percent, one rung down in the league rankings.

Defensively, Doc’s Celtics stopped—induced a turnover or a missed field goal not rebounded by an offensive player—3,309 of their opponents’ 6,228 possessions, 53.1 percent, first in the league. The 76ers rank fourth at 52.8 percent (3,251 stops in 6,156 possessions).

When adjusted for shooting (free throws and three-point shots), the differentials between the teams only tighten…both are 50.1 percent in conversions.

Like the history, these numbers portend a lengthy tussle.

Maybe ol’ Coach Tom had it right all along. It’ll come down to the trigonometry of the game.

Maybe a little psychology, too.

But, then again, it could all go back to the history.

Will KG and the Truth conjure up more images of Dave Cowens and John Havlicek…

Or will Andre Iguodala and Evan Turner remind us of Dr. J and Andrew Toney?

The only certainty, it seems, is that the Garden is fated to host Game G.

Treat that ticket like gold, Celtic fan.[/i]

While they beat us 2 out of 3 this year, the games they won were at home after we had gone either back to back or back to back to back. I believe we were about to take the second game from them when we lost both Pietrus and I think Bradley. The game slipped away after that. We got them finally on our home floor and we pummeled them. Not sure if either team was playing back to back then. I think the most important thing here is protecting home court. After that we have to LIMIT our turnovers. Turnovers is one stat we have to keep low. I truly believe if we take care of the ball and don't give up a ton of offensive rebound we win this series. We rebounded fairly well against Atlanta and will need to do the same against Philly. I kind of agree with this article that we may go seven games here. Hopefully our injuries are not the determining factor here.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book It Empty Re: Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book It

Post by Sam Sat May 12, 2012 11:09 am

Tardust,

It's important to note that, despite rumors to the contrary, there will be no back-to-backs in the Boston-Philly series. Moreover, there will be TWO days off between Games 6 and 7 if there is a Game 7.

Also, there's the matter of momentum. While the Celtics were playing at a #3 (in the league) W/L level after the all-star break and were figuring out how to close out gritty nailbiters, Philly was taking gas and basically plummeting in the standings. Moreover, I believe the third regular season game between Boston and Philly was more indicative than games 1 or 2 of the teams' relative potential entering the playoffs.

Maybe, by lucking out at the end of Game 6 at home against the decimated Bulls, Philly displayed improvement over their late-season swoon. But I wonder if the Sixers had to acquire their playoff legs against as testing a team as the Celtics faced (especially with the Hawks nearly at full strength during the last three games).

What the Sixers have going for them are athleticism and maybe some matchups. I think Iggy gives Pierce a tough time even when Pierce ISN'T injured. On the other hand, Hawes has been playing pretty well for them, and I believe the Celts can handle him quite well.

When it comes right down to it, a lot depends on (1) how much the Celtics can count on Paul Pierce and (2) how successful the Celts' perimeter defense will be against the Philly snipers.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book It Empty Re: Celtics and Sixers Will Play Game 7, You Can Book It

Post by swedeinestonia Sat May 12, 2012 12:23 pm

All three games during the regular season were on second nights of back to backs for the Celtics.

Sixers had the night off before the first two games and were on the second night of a back to back on the third.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi,
I don't know about Game 7 but I wouldn't look at the results of reg. season games. Especially the second game (MP and AB went down).
I guess the outcome of the series from the Celtics standpoint depends (a) on PP and RA being able to overcome their injuries and, (b) if RR puts pedal to the metal.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 pm

I agree with Sam and Swede. We had the momentum the last few months. They beat a good Bulls team that was reeling because of the loss of their go-to guy and best player on their team. Remember the Celtics in 2009, when KG went down with his knee? We just weren't the same.

Also, the point made by Swede about back-to-backs is excellent as well.

Give us some rest between games and I'm good with this. Spencer Hawes vs a borderline psychotic Kevin Garnett? Yeah, I'm real good with this.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Gotta love that analogy of KG and Pierce conjuring images of Cowens and Hondo.....making me miss the Beast, Perk even more too, especially this time of the year, he was Silas the role playing enforcer. Now I know some are gonna nitpick and say Perk only played 25 minutes a game, so what? I want those 25 minutes of crunching picks and punishing physical defense.....Steamer over Perk, what a joke!!!

Gotta love the fighting spirit of Paul Pierce, here I am pissed we have to start the series tonite and hes saying he prefers every other day, he likes staying in a rythmn and too much rest isn't good for him/team.

Go Celtics

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 12, 2012 1:43 pm

tardust----As a long time Celtic fan, the history of Celtic/Philadelphia rivalry goes back alot further than Cowens and Havlicek, as I am sure Sam and some the other older fans could tell you. I really don't consider this series a meeting of two rivals. Alot of time has gone by since there was a true rivalry.

If you were talking about Miami or LA, those are the current rivals of the Boston Celtics.

I agree that this series will go longer than 4 games, I say 6 games and it is over unless something drastic happens to one of our important players.
Even then, I think the Celtics will prevail.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 12, 2012 1:57 pm

.....well Bird vs Dr J was classic too, that was as good as it gets

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat May 12, 2012 2:43 pm

i wonder how much the numbers game truely shows whose who.

yep after the all star break Boston (39-27) had the 3rd best record while as Sam stated, the 76ers (35-31) plummeted in the standings, though they did win 6 of their last ten games- however on febuary 13th they were 22-10 just days away from the all star game - then they lost 5 in a row heading into the all star break. (so 22-17 at the break)

Its been pointed out that in a lot of ways the teams year long stats show both teams are very similer. I'm going to ask though, is the 76ers team we're facing the same 76ers team that existed all season long (accumulating those stats) or could we break up the 76ers into two teams- the team of december 16- febuary 13 (22-10) and the team of febuary 15th - april 26 (13-21)?

Boston also could be called two teams- and unlike Philly who changed overnight just before the all star break, Boston seemed to enjoy their metamorphisis during the break (17-17 before) and after (22-9) despite being filed with injuries all season long. Might the same question be asked of Boston?

Boston vs Atlanta showed us the team is still hamperd by injuries, but played agaisnt a Hawks team that ended up healthier overall at the end of game 6 then before the 1st quarter of game 1.

The real question that ought to be considered is Which teams are really going to be playing in this second round series... the 35-31 philly team, the 22-10 team or the 13-27 team that ended the season.

While the confidence of beating the Bulls will likely give them some motivation early in the series, lets not forget that Philly was playing a severely delapated Bulls without Rose (despite the fact the bulls were good without him in the reguler season) and Noah limited as well. Take Philly;s two best players and put them in that situation VS a Bulls team without Noah and Rose and Bulls still would have won in 4- thats neither here nor there though. The point is, which Philly team was represented vs the Bulls and likely to show up to play the Celtics?

Definetly not the 22-10 version. Not even the 35-31 version. Though i think the Bulls series showed they were closer to that than the 13-27 version. The series showed they were playing better than the last half of the season, but not anywhere close to the leval they began with.

And what about Boston? Which Celtics team showed up to play the Hawks? What we saw was a injury filled team, missing key componets at times (Rondo 1 game, Ray for another) but playing pretty much the same they had all the latter part of the season. What team we saw looked very much like the 22-9 version more than any of the other versions.

Just an opionion, but i think it would be wrong to make season long comparisions between these two teams. Neither is anything like it was before the all star break. Boston, the aging veterns is limping and will limp through their playoff run but play with more heart than any team in the league. Philly is much healthier and energetic but inexpereinced in many respects. Both took out their previous opponets 4-2, but Philly didnt take out the #1 seed in as good of shape as it coudl have been, whereas Boston took down a Hawks team that improved its health as the series went on.

Heading into this series Boston is the better team- Philly ought to be considered a heavy underdog. In this case the Celtics are Rocky and the 76ers are more like Clubber Lang.. Just not sure which match this series will end up like, the first match or the rematch. Hoping it turns out like the rematch..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 pm

I disagree Cow, Russell and Chamberlain, that was a rivalry. Sam--you can tell the story of Sam Jones chasing Chamberlain!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat May 12, 2012 3:06 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote: Sam--you can tell the story of Sam Jones chasing Chamberlain!!!!

"play it again sam....."
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sat May 12, 2012 3:16 pm

RosalieTCeltics, I guess I really starting paying attention during Larry's first year. Saw a little of Cowens and Hondo. To me there definitely was a rivalry during the Bird, Dr. J, Barkley, Toney, McHale, etc. Those were some of the most competitive games I ever saw. Still remember the C's coming back from 3-1 down. A co worker was a huge Sixer fan and for some reason I knew we would come back. He was talking his trash and I kept telling him it wasn't over. Needless to say he got shut up pretty good. While they haven't been rivalries in some time because neither team was very good, this brings back some good memories. At one time there were three teams, the C's, the Sixers, and the Lakers. Looking forward to this.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sat May 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Of course my memory get worse year by year but I believe we were down 15-20 pts each game and came back. Maybe someone else remembers if this is correct.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sat May 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Matty, hadn't thought about it but you are right on here.

Boston vs Atlanta showed us the team is still hamperd by injuries, but played agaisnt a Hawks team that ended up healthier overall at the end of game 6 then before the 1st quarter of game 1.

Don't think were healthier to start the series than we were when it ended. We got Ray back, but had two starters have injuries with Paul being a huge one. Hopefully he can play Andre pretty even. Something tells me he will.
A lot of people thought he didn't play very well the last game but if you look at his stats they would show differently. We need his boards.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Rosalie, I don't remember a game where Sam Jones chased Wilt, but I sure do remember when Sam said SOMETHING to Wilt that provoked all 7'2" of Wilt to come running after Sam, who picked up a folding chair and fended off Wilt like a lion tamer vs. a lion, all the while retreating back up into the stands. Classic Celtic lore.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I believe Russell finally got in the middle of that altercation.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat May 12, 2012 7:44 pm

worcester wrote:Rosalie, I don't remember a game where Sam Jones chased Wilt, but I sure do remember when Sam said SOMETHING to Wilt that provoked all 7'2" of Wilt to come running after Sam, who picked up a folding chair and fended off Wilt like a lion tamer vs. a lion, all the while retreating back up into the stands. Classic Celtic lore.

here is the BDC version of the story...

http://articles.boston.com/2009-06-21/sports/29252957_1_chamberlain-celtics-history-nba-title
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Rosalie, it was pretty much Matty said. Sam hit what might have been his thousandth jumper just out of Wilt's reach and said his characteristic "Too late." Wilt had obviously had enough and chased his occasional dinner guest, Sam, around the Garden, as Sam grabbed a three-legged photographer's stool for defensive purposes. Russ, an even more frequent dinner guest of Wilt, did get into the fray, reportedly telling Wilt that, if he wanted Sam, he'd have to go through Russ. That pretty much cooled things off. The main confrontation happened right below where I was sitting in the first balcony, second row center.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun May 13, 2012 9:25 am

What section were your seats in, mine were section 62, row 3, first balcony
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down