Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat?

+10
beat
cowens/oldschool
Outside
mrkleen09
gyso
Sam
sinus007
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Should Boston trade for Gortat? Multiple answers allowed

Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap41%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 9 ]
Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap23%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 5 ]
Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 22

Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat?

Post by tjmakz Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Sam,

Here is the reason why Barbosa can't be traded until 1/18.
Barbosa was signed by Boston on 10/18/12.

•For three months or until December 15 of that season (whichever is later) after signing a contract as a free agent or matching an offer sheet to a restricted free agent. This obviously does not apply to the trade completing a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 88).
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you make a play for Marcin Gortat?

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Are the Marcin Gortat trade rumors to the Boston Celtics heating up?

Posted November 22nd, 2012 by CLNSRadio & filed under Boston Celtics, NBA.

Would Marcin Gortat be a good fit for the Boston Celtics?

H/T to CelticsLife for being all over this story in recent days, but there appears to be some traction to these Marcin Gortat rumors. Certain outlets of the Polish media are of strong belief that the Boston Celtics have keen interest in trading for the Phoenix Suns center.

The Boston Celtics are ready to trade for Gortat, and will soon present a specific proposal to the Phoenix Suns. On Monday, they waived the contract with Serbian center Darko Milicic.

This now comes just a few days after the ESPN Insider piece where they speculated that Gortat’s best fit would be Boston.

Gortat had a monster season for the Suns last year with Steve Nash posting a 21.2 PER. This year, without Nash, many have speculated that the dropoff in his game is due to the lack of a point guard. Many are assuming that if Marcin Gortat were to be reunited with a capable point guard, as the Celtics have one in Rajon Rondo, that he would re-emerge as one of the best centers in the NBA again.

If Gortat were to be traded to Boston, that would likely shift Kevin Garnett back to the power forward slot, and Brandon Bass to the bench. Many Celtics fans would welcome this move, as they feel that the Celtics are too small. However, it is questionable that in this stage of his career if Kevin Garnett can guard Eastern Conference power fowards — which has shifted more towards smaller, leaner and quicker players such as Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.

Either way, the Celtics would have a hard time trading for Gortat. He will be a sought after player from many of the contenders in the NBA. The Celtics don’t have much roster flexibility with players such as Jeff Green, Courtney Lee, and Brandon Bass already carrying lengthy and hefty price tags, as well as only having one first round draft selection in this year’s draft.

But with the Celtics, and particularly Danny Ainge, you never know. If the Celtics’ poor defense and rebounding continues, Ainge could waste no time pulling the trigger on another bold move.

Stay tuned to CLNS Radio for more coverage on this story and all things Celtics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Bob and TJ, thanks for the clarification. I figured it was something like that; but, for three days, I was too lazy to check.

The only four Celtics, other than KG, Pierce and Rondo, who can be traded between now and December 14 are Bradley, Melo, Sully and Joseph. If their four salaries are added together, they don't come anywhere close to Gortat's salary.

112288, aside from what I've written immediately above, one good rule of thumb for trades is that, if you are only willing to trade players who are expendable, other GM's aren't going around with signs on their foreheads reading, "Expendable players wanted at any price." You've got to give to get, and young players with high upsides and reasonable salaries are valuable trading chips.

Anyway, it won't shock me if Phoenix would like to trade Gortat sooner rather than later, which would seem to leave the Celtics out of the mix. I heard that Danny had booked passage to Lourdes to try to pull off a miracle.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:51 pm

sam wrote:Bob and TJ, thanks for the clarification. I figured it was something like that; but, for three days, I was too lazy to check.

The only four Celtics, other than KG, Pierce and Rondo, who can be traded between now and December 14 are Bradley, Melo, Sully and Joseph. If their four salaries are added together, they don't come anywhere close to Gortat's salary.

112288, aside from what I've written immediately above, one good rule of thumb for trades is that, if you are only willing to trade players who are expendable, other GM's aren't going around with signs on their foreheads reading, "Expendable players wanted at any price." You've got to give to get, and young players with high upsides and reasonable salaries are valuable trading chips.

Anyway, it won't shock me if Phoenix would like to trade Gortat sooner rather than later, which would seem to leave the Celtics out of the mix. I heard that Danny had booked passage to Lourdes to try to pull off a miracle.

Sam

sam,

The Great Salt Lake would be more likely. Whatever works...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:Bob,

I won't hold my breath. The article says:

To acquire Gortat, the Celtics would likely have to move a combination of draft picks, Avery Bradley, and Fab Melo.

There is not enough salary there for this to be taken seriously, IMO. It will take one of our veteran 5 mil/year players, draft picks and one (or more) of our lower salary players.

It is also too soon for concrete offers. Three weeks too soon.

gyso

gyso,

I agree the numbers don't work. It would require a mid-level player or better (e.g. Terry, Lee, possibly Green plus PHX throws in another player) and a rook or vet minimum. Green cannot be traded until 1/15.

Why is it 3 weeks too soon?

bob

bob,

In roughly three weeks, it will be December 15th. That is the earliest we can trade one of our new midlevel players (aka: one of our veteran 5 mil/year players). IMO, a team wouldn't make concrete plans now and wait three weeks to make it official. The affected players would have to sit out games so they wouldn't get injured, etc.

So, if it was close to December 15th, I would be more likely to believe that,

The Boston Celtics are ready to trade for Gortat, and will soon present a specific proposal to the Phoenix Suns

but now it is too soon, by about three weeks.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:12 am

Has anyone noticed there is not one credible source that says there is any interest or possibility in Gortat leaving Phoenix?

The entire thing comes from one Polish newspaper.

As a a matter of fact Gentry has revamped the offense to get Gortat into the flow and is now starting Morris who compliments Gortat's game better on the offensive end.

The only current buzz in any league reports on Boston involves speculation from NESN and CSN writers that the Celtics need to pursue Josh Smith to team with Rondo as our future core. Nothing of substance on Gortat except that he likes Gentry's changes and seems happy as is.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 am

As this debate continues I would like to share my thoughts about this:

What we already know is that Gortat is complaining about not getting enough looks. That attitude would not work here because this offense is run by The best passing PG in the NBA who has a tendency to spread the ball around. He would not be getting more looks here.

Gortat makes somewhere in the $7.5 million range and is signed through 2015 + a 2016 player option at $7.5 . Money wise the price tag is cheap.

He is a strong rebounder and a good but not great scorer. He is a legit starting center.

So if a deal was made KG would move back to the 4 and Gortat would start at the 5 with Wilcox (assuming he was not part of the trade) as the backup.

There are several players that I would not be inclined to include in this deal.

# 1 is Avery Bradley. Maybe some of us do not fully appreciate the impact that he will have on this team. He is the best on the ball defender in the NBA and can alter the opposing teams offensive schemes. And we got him on the cheap.

Sullinger is still learning how to contribute to this team. I think he deserves more time to develop so I am not moving him unless we were going to get a higher rated player than Gortat.

Brandon Bass is a good all around player but he is not particularly adepth at any phase of the game. Also without Bass on the team Jeff Green could finally get his 30+ minutes per game that he SHOULD be playing.

Jet is a solid 1/2 player and has already displayed his ability to knock down shots for us. Sorry, I'm keeping him.

Courtney Lee has been a big disappointment thus far. But on the real side we need to remember that he has never been a big time scorer as a 2 guard and with Avery coming back his minutes are going to be reduced anyways.

So Bass and Lee for Gortat makes sense for me because we have depth to fill both of their positions.

KG is no center because he lacks the bulk to really bang down low. Gortat would add a dimension that is missing from the team. And with Rajon spoon feeding him he would get easier looks but not necessarily more looks. He would find the Celtic's Way pretty damn quick.

The Suns would have to throw more in the Pot to make the salaries work.

Danny make the move!

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Dboss,

According to Realgm Trade Checker, Bass and Lee for Gortat works financially, meaning the Suns would not have to throw in anyone to make the trade work. I don't know whether taking on the difference between the Bass/Lee salaries and the Gortat salary would be a problem for Phoenix cap-wise.

Anyway, that specific trade could not be consummated until at least January 15th.

I've read some opinions that the Celtics would be better off getting Josh Smith. But last night's game was just the latest of many that have convinced me that the Celtics' greatest need is another big who can protect the defensive rim—especially when KG is out of the game. More rebounds would be much appreciated, but I believe they need another shot blocker/ most of all.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Sam,
How is it, "... Bass and Lee for Gortat works financially, meaning the Suns would not have to throw in anyone to make the trade work ...", possible: Gortat=7.3M, Bass+Lee=11.5M?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Phoenix is about $7m under the salary cap, so taking on additional salary is not a problem for Phoenix. I doubt Phoenix who is not a contender would be interested in acquiring Lee and Bass who have 4 and 3 year contracts.

I do think Gortat would be a much better fit for Boston then Josh Smith would be. Josh is a very good player, but is more of a stretch 4 then a player that will be a rebounder and an intimidator under the basket.

KG, who is a great mid-range shooter would be the perfect stretch 4 if they brought in a player like Gortat who is a true center.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Sinus,

I believe that, in addition to what TJ explained (which is certainly the main reason), that there can be differences between specific salaries and how much a player counts under the cap. (I'm sure TJ or Gyso will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, I'd never conjecture about a player's status for trade purposes without checking Realgm Trade Checker, which incorporates all the rules, exceptions, inc.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Would love to see Josh Smith in green but we need a big in the middle when KG sits.

I do think that Bradleys in the ball defense should help to seal the penetrations but you can never have enough bigs.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Dboss,

Bradley will help not only to seal the penetrations but also to take precious seconds off the opponents' possessions. His speed could even possibly allow Doc to relax a bit on his "fall back" defensive transition policy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3