A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks

+2
tjmakz
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks Empty A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 am

Danny's #22 pick in the 2012 draft is gone.  Some people wanted to give him more time to develop.  Some people, including me, say "Halle-freaking-lujah!".  So now it's time, for those who want to, to bring out the long knives for Danny.  I've got my thoughts at the bottom, as usual.  Have at it.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/

A HISTORY OF DANNY AINGE FIRST ROUND PICKS
08.16.13 at 9:05 am ET
By Kevin Dillon   |  2 Comments

With Fab Melo dealt to the Grizzlies Thursday, the Celtics have already moved on from a player that they selected 22nd overall in the 2012 NBA draft. In honor of that move, here is a look at all of the Celtics’ first-round picks under Danny Ainge and how they worked out for the club.

Marcus Banks (13th overall) – The Celtics traded up to acquire Banks, dealing the 16th and 20th overall picks (Troy Bell and Dahntay Jones) for him and the 27th overall pick Kendrick Perkins. Banks was a disappointment with the Celtics, and only played only five games in three seasons with Boston before being traded along with Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Justin Reed and two second round picks for Dwayne Jones, Michael Olowokandi, Wally Szczerbiak, and a 2009 first round pick. Banks last played with the Raptors — his fifth team in eight years in the league — in 2010-11, when he averaged 2.0 points in 7.3 minutes per game.

Kendrick Perkins (27th overall) – Perkins, a center project out of high school, was the better half of that draft day trade and became the Celtics starting center in 2006-07. He used his strong defensive play to help the Celtics to an NBA Championship in 2008, and averaged 10.1 points and 7.6 rebounds in 2009-10. Perkins was traded with Nate Robinson to the Thunder for Jeff Green, Nenad Krstic, cash and a 2012 first round pick — which turned into Melo.

Al Jefferson (15th overall) – Jefferson was supposed to be the big man of the future, and was one of the Celtics top players in 2006-07 when he averaged 16.0 points and 11.0 rebounds in 33.6 minutes per game. Jefferson was the centerpiece in the package that the Celtics sent to Minnesota to acquire Kevin Garnett. Since then, Jefferson has been one of the best centers in the league with the Timberwolves and the Jazz. Jefferson signed a three-year deal worth an estimated $41 million with the Bobcats this offseason.

Delonte West (24th overall) – West had success with the Celtics early in his career, when he started at guard for Boston between 2005-07. West was a part of the trade that landed the Celtics Ray Allen though, and was later dealt to the Cavaliers where he started for a little over one season. West had brief stints with the Celtics and Mavericks between 2010-12, but did not play in the league last season.

Tony Allen (25th overall) – Allen has consistently been a strong defensive guard throughout his career, and helped the Celtics to the 2008 championship when he spent time guarding Kobe Bryant and Lebron James. Allen signed with the Grizzlies as a free agent in 2010 and started all 79 games that he played last season.

Gerald Green (18th overall) – Green was good for a few highlight dunks, but he has not made a real impact in the league as a small forward/shooting guard. Since being included in the Garnett trade, Green has spent time with five different teams. He did not play in the league in the 2009-10 or 2010-11 seasons, but made a nice comeback with the Nets in 2011-12 when he averaged 12.9 points in 25.2 minutes per game.

The Celtics traded their first round pick (Randy Foye — 7th overall) along with Dan Dickau and Raef LaFrentz to the Portland Trail Blazers for Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a 2008 second round pick. Telfair, who was the major piece in the trade, only spent one season with the Celtics before being included in the trade for Garnett.

The Celtics traded their first round pick (Jeff Green — 5th overall) along with West and Szczerbiak for Allen. Ainge re-acquired Green in a trade for Kendrick Perkins and averaged 12.8 points and 3.9 rebounds in 27.8 minutes per game last season.

J.R. Giddens (30th overall) – Giddens spent two seasons with the Celtics organization and only played in 27 games before being traded alongside Eddie House, Bill Walker and a 2014 second round pick for Marcus Landry and Nate Robinson. Giddens last played in 2010 with the Knicks, when he averaged 4.1 points in 12.7 minutes per game.

The Celtics had included their pick in the trade for Garnett. The Timberwolves selected Wayne Ellington with the pick.

Avery Bradley (19th overall) – Bradley started out slow, only averaging 5.2 minutes per game in 31 games his rookie season. However, he has emerged as a very good defensive guard in his second and third seasons as a Celtics, and was a starter for Boston in 2012-13. He averaged 9.2 points and 1.3 steals in 28.7 minutes per game last season and is slated to start again for the Celtics this upcoming season.

JaJuan Johnson (27th overall) – Johnson was acquired in a draft-day trade for Marshon Brooks and a second round pick, and only spent one season with the Celtics before being dealt in a three-team deal that landed Boston Courtney Lee. Johnson did not play in the NBA last season.

Jared Sullinger (21th overall) – Sullinger averaged 6.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game in his rookie season before missing the rest of the season with a back injury. The Ohio State product started five games last season.

Fab Melo (22th overall) – Melo averaged 1.2 points and 0.5 rebounds in six games with Boston last season before being traded along with cash for Donte Green Thursday.

bob
MY NOTE:  This is coming from a Celtics Blog after the Melo trade.  One has to look over the course of years to see the numerous gyrations that happen to see where progress is or is not made.  Danny has had only 3 lottery picks in 10 years.  He traded up to 13 for Banks (mistake) but he got Wally when he packaged Banks to get Wally, who got us Ray.  I love to see similar analyses of other GM's picks.  Here's a couple.  As you look down the timeline and see who they drafted and/or traded for, you see just what a crap shoot it is.  Sam Presti, for example, is generally considered to be a good drafter and trader, but he's the one who sent us Ray Allen and Big Baby for Wally World, West and #5 (who turned out to be Jeff Green) and then traded Green to us for Perk.  So, in the end, it was essentially Ray Allen and Bass (who we traded Baby for) for Perk.  He traded Carl Landry for a 2nd round pick and cash.  Pat Riley's on a run, for sure, but look at his draft picks.  He had virtually no first round picks for years because he kept trading them.  He built this juggernaut by keeping DWade and getting LBJ and then have the free agents flock to him.  Look at the other players he signed up to fill out the bench and you're underwhelmed.  Chris Wallace traded Kevin Love on draft night to Minny for who?  Mike Miller and Brian Cardinal?  Huh?  He did the Gasol trade?  I mean, the beat just keeps going on and on.  Larry Legend has done very well, overall, maybe the best of the lot, but even he wasted a #17 pick on Shawne Williams (who?) and had some dubious trades. My point?  Sausage is horrible to watch being made, but can taste really good after it's all over.  Building a team, especially through the draft is like making sausage.  It's often an ugly and circuitous route.  It's unreliable and chancy since, by definition, none of the players you draft have any track record in the NBA you can look at.

http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/danny_ainge.htm
http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/sam_presti.htm
http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/mitch_kupchak.htm
http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/chris_wallace.htm

Melo was a bust, I would MUCH rather have had Danny draft Festus Ezeli, but he got Sully when 20 GMs passed over him and that's looking like a blue chip. He traded for he rights to Rondo and Powe. He's had his winners and losers, just like everybody else.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks Empty Re: A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Bob,

I don't think Danny has drafted well but he has done well in trading some draft picks.
(To get Ray and Perkins).

As an FYI, that wasn't who Memphis received for Kevin Love.
Here are the details of that trade:
June 26, 2008: Kevin Love traded by the Memphis Grizzlies with Brian Cardinal, Jason Collins and Mike Miller to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Greg Buckner, Marko Jaric, O.J. Mayo and Antoine Walker.

A lot of people underestimate how the Gasol/Gasol trade helped both teams.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks Empty Re: A History of Danny Ainge First Round Picks

Post by k_j_88 Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I don't think Melo was a bust. Doc never wanted to develop him. Because he doesn't know how to.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

I don't think Danny has drafted well but he has done well in trading some draft picks.

June 26, 2008: Kevin Love traded by the Memphis Grizzlies with Brian Cardinal, Jason Collins and Mike Miller to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Greg Buckner, Marko Jaric, O.J. Mayo and Antoine Walker.

TJ,

The rule of thumb in the NBA is whomever gets the best player in a trade, wins. Marc Gasol is a good center, but he's no Pau.

As far as Danny's drafting goes, you may be right, but draft picks are all about what they get you. If you get a good player by packaging a pick with a player, or if you draft the player directly, it's all the same to me. The bottom line is the bottom line. So, if Danny did a lousy job drafting Melo, he did a phenomenal job stealing Rondo and Powe when he bought their draft rights. He didn't draft Big Baby, but he got his draft rights as part of the Ray Allen trade.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:29 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I don't think Melo was a bust. Doc never wanted to develop him. Because he doesn't know how to.

KJ
KJ,

Doc developed Rondo and started him in his sophomore year.  Doc developed Delonte West.  Doc developed Big Baby.  Doc developed Leon Powe.  Doc developed Avery Bradley.  Is Doc comfortable playing rookies?  No, but he did start Sully because Sully's IQ is stellar, while most rooks' IQs are not.

Melo had an entire year in Maine to make progress in a learning environment tailored for him, since the Red Claws are 100% owned by the Celtics.  His performance at this year's summer league was even worse than last year's.  If Melo's not a bust he's done a damn good job of imitating one.  He was THE worst player on our squad in Orlando this year.  His pick-and-roll defense against the summer league wannabes was atrocious and pick-and-roll defense was something they worked on with him relentlessly in Maine all last year.  That's Doc's fault?  The NBA's the big boy league.  You're expected to have a certain minimum amount of proficiency to even be able to lace your sneakers up there.  Melo doesn't have it.  If you want to blame Danny for drafting Melo in the first place, I'd agree with you, but Melo is not Doc's fault.  You don't bring a player up from AAA and then teach him how to hit a fastball.  It's assumed he can do that already, or he shouldn't be there.

We'll see.  Memphis doesn't have great track record of drafting and developing big men.  Hashem Thabeet was a #2 pick and he made Darko look like Bill Walton.  At some point, however, you just have to lay the blame at the feet of the player.  If Melo still struggles in Memphis, then what does that mean?  Look at Gerald Green.  Everybody oohed and ahhhed at his potential too, but his IQ was a 6 watt Christmas bulb.  He's 27 years old now and finally looks like he might stick in the NBA.  Then again, maybe not.  Larry Bird just traded him to Phoenix.  Phoenix is his, what, 7th NBA team?  If Melo's lucky, he might be on his 7th NBA team when he's 27. My gut tells me he won't last that long.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:16 pm

BobH,

I view Melo is a project. No, he won't present any team with immediate returns but I think that's part of the growing pains. I think Melo could be successful is there is a team genuinely willing to put more into helping him succeed. But everyone wants to "win now" so there's no telling if he gets that kind of shot anywhere.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Bob,

TJ,

The rule of thumb in the NBA is whomever gets the best player in a trade, wins.  Marc Gasol is a good center, but he's no Pau.

As far as Danny's drafting goes, you may be right, but draft picks are all about what they get you.  If you get a good player by packaging a pick with a player, or if you draft the player directly, it's all the same to me.  The bottom line is the bottom line.  So, if Danny did a lousy job drafting Melo, he did a phenomenal job stealing Rondo and Powe when he bought their draft rights.  He didn't draft Big Baby, but he got his draft rights as part of the Ray Allen trade.

bob

Bob,

I think that rule of thumb often applies but not always.
Memphis was going nowhere with Pau.
Pau was making almost $14m/year and had never been out of the first round of the playoffs.
Directly related to the Gasol/Gasol trade or indirectly related, Memphis also acquired Greivas Vasquez, Darrell Arthur and was able to acquire Zach Randolph. Trading Pau gave them one year of hitting the bottom. If they only drafted James Harden instead of Hasheem Thabeet and not traded Kevin Love for OJ Mayo, they would be a powerhouse in the NBA.

Yes, Pau helped LA win 2 championships.
Marc is already a better player then Pau and will be a force in the NBA for years to come while Pau is slowing down due to age and injuries.

It was a great trade for both teams.

Danny has had the same limitations as Kupchak has had.
High draft picks have been rare for the Celtics and Lakers.
People focus on drafting a bust like Melo but that happens in the 20's.
People fail to realize how many Thabeets, Darko's, Adam Morrison's, Odens are taken early in the first round.
Danny and Mitch would love to have the opportunuty to have one top 5 pick like so many teams have had.
Washington, Sacramento, LA Clippers, Charlotte and Cleveland have had so many top 5 picks. Even with those, some work out, some don't.
The Lakers haven't had a draft pick in the single digits since they drafted James Worthy in 1982.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 pm

If there's anything I love more than predictions, it's Monday morning quarterbacking—especially by someone who fails to establish that he has any kind of clue to the stories behind the stories (scouting reports of the time, team needs at the time of the picks, possible pressure from owners, etc. etc. etc.). Apparently this alleged authorcan't even count. As long as he has two hands and two feet, he ought to be able to determine that Marcus Banks played more than five games for the Celtic. Maybe I'm being too much of a stickler for facts because, after all, he only blew Banks' Celtics game tenure by 97%. (Marcus played in 180 regular season games and 13 playoff games for the Celts.)

When Danny came to Boston, he stated (rather rashly at the time, I thought) that his goal was for the Celtics to win a championship within five years. In Danny's fifth year as whatever-his-title-was/is, they won a championship. Whatever combination of picks, trades, and mix of good moves/bad moves contributed to the championship he hit his goal dead-on. And, not so coincidentally, that was the last year in which he had a lottery pick (which he used to trade for a championship).

That was really the only year in which he operated from a position of strength, as each of the following years involved trying to adjust to injury problems and discontinuity that ranged from vexing to horrendous. By way of comparison, there was only one season in which the 13-season "Tyranny Celtics" had one serious injury, and that was to a complementary player (Loscutoff).

Please, season, hurry up. It's getting positively claustrophobic.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 am

From Hoopshype.com:

http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/danny_ainge.htm

SEASON 2013-14

August 15 2013
Traded center Fab Melo and cash considerations to the Memphis Grizzlies for forward Donte Greene.
August 1 2013
Waived forward Shavlik Randolph.
July 22 2013
Signed guard Phil Pressey and forward Vitor Faverani.
July 15 2013
Waived forward Kris Joseph.
July 12 2013
Traded guard Jason Terry and forwards Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and DJ White to the Brooklyn Nets for guards MarShon Brooks and Keith Bogans, forwards Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph and Kris Humphries, the 2014, 2016 and 2018 first-round draft picks and the right to swap first-round picks in 2017.
July 7 2013
Signed center Kelly Olynyk.
July 3 2013
Named Brad Stevens head coach.
June 30 2013
Waived guard Terrence Williams.
Draft 2013
Selected forward Lucas Nogueira (16th overall pick). Traded the draft rights to forward Lucas Nogueira and two future second-round picks to the Dallas Mavericks for the draft rights to center Kelly Olynyk. Traded cash to the Indiana Pacers for the draft rights to center Colton Iverson.

SEASON 2012-13

March 21 2013
Signed forward Shavlik Randolph to a multi-year contract.
March 20 2013
Signed forward DJ White to a multi-year contract.
March 11 2013
Signed forward Shavlik Randolph to a second 10-day contract.
March 10 2013
Signed forward DJ White to a second 10-day contract.
March 3 2013
Signed guard Terrence Williams to a multi-year contract.
March 1 2013
Signed forward Shavlik Randolph to a 10-day contract.
February 28 2013
Signed forward DJ White to a 10-day contract.
February 21 2013
Traded guard Leandro Barbosa and center Jason Collins to the Washington Wizards for guard Jordan Crawford.
February 20 2013
Signed guard Terrence Williams to a 10-day contract.
January 6 2013
Waived forwards Kris Joseph and Jarvis Varnado.
December 24 2012
Signed forward Jarvis Varnado.
November 21 2012
Waived center Darko Milicic.
October 26 2012
Waived forwards Micah Downs and Rob Kurz.
October 18 2012
Signed guard Leandro Barbosa.
October 17 2012
Waived guards Jamar Smith and Dionte Christmas.
September 28 2012
Signed forwards Rob Kurz and Micah Downs and center Darko Milicic.
September 20 2012
Waived guard Keyon Dooling.
September 19 2012
Named Jay Larranaga assistant coach.
August 22 2012
Signed forward Jeff Green.
July 31 2012
Re-signed guard Keyon Dooling and signed guards Jamar Smith and Dionte Christmas and center Jason Collins.
July 20 2012
Traded guard E’Twaun Moore, forwards JaJuan Johnson and Sean Williams, a 2013 second round-pick to the Houston Rockets, and forward Sasha Pavlovic to the Portland Trail Blazers for guard Courtney Lee.
July 14 2012
Signed guard Jason Terry.
July 14 2012
Re-signed forwards Kevin Garnett and Brandon Bass and signed forward Chris Wilcox.
July 3 2012
Signed forwards Kris Joseph and Jared Sullinger and center Fab Melo.
Draft 2012
Selected forwards Jared Sullinger (21st overall pick), Fab Melo (22nd overall pick) and Kris Joseph (51st overall pick).

SEASON 2011-12

April 19 2012
Signed forward Sean Williams and waived forward Jermaine O’Neal.
March 23 2012
Signed center Ryan Hollins and waived forward Chris Wilcox.
December 22 2011
Waived guard Gilbert Brown and forwards Michael Sweetney and Jamal Sampson.
December 12 2011
Re-signed guard Aleksandar Pavlovic and signed guards E’Twaun Moore and Gilbert Brown and forwards JaJuan Johnson, Jamal Sampson and Mike Sweetney. Then traded guard Von Wafer and forward Glen Davis to the Orlando Magic for forward Brandon Bass.
December 10 2011
Re-signed forward Jeff Green. Contract voided later that month.
December 9 2011
Signed guard Marquis Daniels and centers Chris Wilcox and Greg Stiemsma and traded the draft rights to forward Albert Miralles to the Milwaukee Bucks for guard Keyon Dooling and a protected second-round pick.
June 30 2011
Exercised the contract option on guard Avery Bradley through 2012-13 and tendered a qualifying offer to forward Jeff Green.
Draft 2011
Selected guard Marshon Brooks (25th overall pick) and forward E’Twaun Moore (55th overall pick).
Traded the draft rights to guard Marshon Brooks to the New Jersey Nets for the draft rights to forward JaJuan Johnson and a 2014 second-round pick.

SEASON 2010-11

May 16 2011
Signed head coach Doc Rivers to a contract extension.
March 6 2011
Signed guard Carlos Arroyo.
March 3 2011
Signed guard Aleksandar Pavlovic.
March 2 2011
Signed forward Troy Murphy.
February 24 2011
Traded guard Nate Robinson and center Kendrick Perkins to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green, center Nenad Krstic and a conditional first-round pick. Traded forward Luke Harangody and center Semih Erden to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a 2013 second-round pick. Traded guard Marquis Daniels and cash to the Sacramento Kings for a protected 2017 second-round pick. Signed center Chris Johnson to a 10-day contract.
October 21 2010
Waived forward Tiny Gallon.
October 20 2010
Waived guard Mario West and forward Stephane Lasme and signed forward Tiny Gallon.
October 3 2010
Waived forward Tony Gaffney.
October 1 2010
Waived guard Jamar Smith and forward Chris Johnson.
September 17 2010
Signed guard Jamar Smith and forwards Chris Johnson and Stephane Lasme.
September 1 2010
Signed guard Delonte West.
August 10 2010
Signed forward Luke Harangody and waived forward Rasheed Wallace.
August 4 2010
Signed center Shaquille O’Neal.
August 3 2010
Signed guard Von Wafer.
July 26 2010
Re-signed guard Marquis Daniels.
July 19 2010
Re-signed guard Nate Robinson.
July 15 2010
Re-signed forward Paul Pierce.
July 13 2010
Re-signed guard Ray Allen.
July 10 2010
Signed forward Jermaine O’Neal.
July 5 2010
Signed center Semih Erden.
July 2 2010
Signed guard Avery Bradley.
Draft 2010
Selected guard Avery Bradley (19th overall pick) and forward Luke Harangody (52nd overall pick).

SEASON 2009-10

April 14 2010
Signed guard Oliver Lafayette.
April 13 2010
Signed forward Tony Gaffney.
April 9 2010
Waived guard Marcus Landry.
March 6 2010
Signed guard Michael Finley for the remainder of the season.
February 18 2010
Traded guards Eddie House and JR Giddens, forward Bill Walker and a future conditional second-round pick to the New York Knicks for guards Nate Robinson and Marcus Landry.
January 6 2010
Waived guard Lester Hudson.
October 23 2009
Waived named Tyronn Lue director of basketball development.
October 22 2009
Waived forward Mike Sweetney.
September 28 2009
Signed guard Lester Hudson and forward Mike Sweetney.
September 1 2009
Signed guard Marquis Daniels.
August 10 2009
Re-signed forward Glen Davis.
August 7 2009
Signed center Shelden Williams.
July 31 2009
Waived guard Gabe Pruitt.
July 8 2009
Signed forward Rasheed Wallace.
Draft 2009
Selected guard Lester Hudson (58th overall pick).

SEASON 2008-09

February 27 2009
Signed guard Stephon Marbury.
February 25 2009
Signed forward Mikki Moore.
February 19 2009
Traded cash to the Sacramento Kings for a protected 2014 second-round pick and traded center Patrick O’Bryant to the Toronto Raptors.
February 17 2009
Traded guard Sam Cassell and cash to the Sacramento Kings for a 2015 conditional second-round pick.
October 31 2008
Exercised the contract option on guard Rajon Rondo though 2009-10.
October 28 2008
Signed a contract extension; named president of basketball operations.
October 20 2008
Waived forward Darius Miles.
September 29 2008
Re-signed guard Sam Cassell.
September 10 2008
August 26 2008
Signed guard JR Giddens.
August 22 2008
Signed forwards Darius Miles and Bill Walker.
July 23 2008
Re-signed guards Tony Allen and Eddie House.
July 16 2008
Signed center Patrick O’Bryant.
Draft 2008
Selected guard JR Giddens (30th overall pick) and center Semih Erden (60th overall pick).
Traded cash to the Washington Wizards for the draft rights to forward Bill Walker.

SEASON 2007-08

March 4 2008
Signed guard Sam Cassell.
February 27 2008
Signed forward PJ Brown.
December 18 2007
Waived forward Brandon Wallace.
October 30 2007
Exercised the contract option on guard Rajon Rondo through 2008-09.
October 25 2007
Waived guards Dahntay Jones and Jackie Manuel.
October 16 2007
Waived forward Esteban Batista.
September 26 2007
Signed guard Dahntay Jones and forward Esteban Batista.
September 4 2007
Signed forward Glen Davis.
August 30 2007
Signed guard Gabe Pruitt and named Tom Thibodeau assistant coach.
August 27 2007
Signed forward James Posey.
August 9 2007
Signed center Scot Pollard.
August 1 2007
Signed guards Eddie House and Jackie Manuel.
July 31 2007
Traded guards Sebastian Telfair and Gerald Green, forwards Ryan Gomes and Al Jefferson, center Theo Ratliff, two first-round picks and cash to the Minnesota Timberwolves for forward Kevin Garnett.
July 27 2007
Waived guard Allan Ray.
July 10 2007
Signed forward Brandon Wallace.
Draft 2007
Selected forward Jeff Green (5th overall pick) and guard Gabe Pruitt (32nd overall pick).
June 28 2007
Traded guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak and the 5th overall pick to the Seattle SuperSonics for guard Ray Allen and the 35th overall pick.
May 10 2007

SEASON 2006-07

April 4 2007
Signed forward Kevin Pinkney.
October 26 2006
Waived guard Luke Jackson and forward Brian Grant and exercised the contract option on guard Tony Allen through 2007-08.
October 20 2006
Waived center Kevin Pittsnogle.
October 13 2006
Traded center Dwayne Jones to the Cleveland Cavaliers for guard Luke Jackson and cash.
October 2 2006
Re-signed center Michael Olowokandi.
September 11 2006
Signed center Kendrick Perkins to a contract extension and named Kevin Eastman assistant coach.
July 26 2006
Signed center Kevin Pittsnogle.
July 18 2006
Signed forward Leon Powe.
July 17 2006
Signed forward Paul Pierce to a contract extension.
July 6 2006
Signed guard Allan Ray and exercised the contract options on guards Sebastian Telfair, Delonte West and Gerald Green and forward Al Jefferson through 2007-08.
July 4 2006
Signed guard Rajon Rondo.
June 30 2006
Waived guard Orien Greene.
Draft 2006
Selected guard Randy Foye (7th overall pick).
Traded guard Dan Dickau, center Raef LaFrentz and the draft rights to guard Randy Foye to the Portland Trail Blazers for guard Sebastian Telfair, center Theo Ratliff and a 2008 second-round pick; traded a future first-round pick to the Phoenix Suns for the draft rights to guard Rajon Rondo and forward Brian Grant; traded a future second-round pick to the Denver Nuggets for the draft rights to forward Leon Powe.

SEASON 2005-06

January 26 2006
Traded guards Ricky Davis and Marcus Banks, forward Justin Reed, center Mark Blount and two future second-round picks to the Minnesota Timberwolves for guard Wally Szczerbiak and centers Michael Olowokandi and Dwayne Jones.
November 9 2005
Named Robert Parish consultant.
October 29 2005
Exercised the contract option on center Kendrick Perkins through 2006-07.
October 27 2005
Waived center Curtis Borchardt.
October 25 2005
Waived guard Will Bynum.
October 4 2005
Waived guard Qyntel Woods.
September 30 2005
Traded a 2006 second-round pick to the New Orleans Hornets for guard Dan Dickau.
August 19 2005
Signed guard Will Bynum.
August 18 2005
Signed forward Ryan Gomes.
August 2 2005
Signed forward Brian Scalabrine; re-signed forward Antoine Walker and traded him to the Miami Heat for Curtis Borchardt from the Utah Jazz and guard Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to forward Albert Miralles, two second-round picks and cash from the Miami Heat.
July 3 2005
Signed guard Gerald Green.
Draft 2005
Selected guards Gerald Green (18th overall pick) and Orien Greene (53rd overall pick) and forward Ryan Gomes (50th overall pick).
May 20 2005
Signed a contract extension through 2008-09.

SEASON 2004-05

March 4 2005
Signed guard Gary Payton.
February 24 2005
Traded guard Gary Payton, forward Tom Gugliotta, center Michael Stewart and a first-round pick to the Atlanta Hawks for forward Antoine Walker; traded guard Jiri Welsch to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a 2007 first-round pick.
February 8 2005
Traded forward Walter McCarty and cash to the Phoenix Suns for a second-round pick.
October 27 2004
Exercised the contract option on guard Jiri Welsch through 2005-06.
October 25 2004
Waived center Ernest Brown.
August 27 2004
Signed forward Justin Reed.
August 16 2004
Signed forward Tom Gugliotta.
August 6 2004
Re-signed center Chris Mihm and traded him with guards Chucky Atkins and Marcus Banks and a second-round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for guard Gary Payton, forward Rick Fox, a conditional first-round pick and cash. The trade was amended on August 13, with the Los Angeles Lakers receiving no second-round pick and forward Jumaine Jones instead of guard Marcus Banks.
July 14 2004
Re-signed center Mark Blount.
July 3 2004
Signed forward Al Jefferson and guards Delonte West and Tony Allen.
Draft 2004
Selected forwards Al Jefferson (15th overall pick) and Justin Reed (40th overall pick) and guards Delonte West (24th overall pick) and Tony Allen (25th overall pick).
May 27 2004
Named Dave Wohl and Tony Brown assistant coaches.
April 29 2004
Named Doc Rivers head coach.
April 26 2004
Fired head coach John Carroll.

SEASON 2003-04

April 26 2004
Fired head coach John Carroll.
April 15 2004
Signed guard Dana Barros and center Ernest Brown for the remainder of the regular season.
February 25 2004
Waived guard Lindsey Hunter.
February 19 2004
Traded guard Mike James to the Detroit Pistons and Chris Mills to the Atlanta Hawks for guards Chucky Atkins and Lindsey Hunter, a first-round pick and cash from the Detroit Pistons.
February 13 2004
Waived forward Vin Baker.
February 6 2004
Named Dana Barros and Paul Cormier assistant coaches.
January 27 2004
Announced the resignation of Jim O’Brien as head coach, fired assistant coach Dick Harter and named John Carroll interim head coach.
December 15 2003
Traded forwards Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown and center Tony Battie to the Cleveland Cavaliers for guard Ricky Davis, centers Chris Mihm and Michael Stewart and a second-round draft pick.
October 27 2003
Exercised the contract option on forward Kedrick Brown through 2004-05.
October 20 2003
Traded guard Tony Delk and forward Antoine Walker to the Dallas Mavericks for guard Jiri Welsch, forward Chris Mills, center Raef LaFrentz and a 2004 first-round pick.
July 29 2003
Traded guard JR Bremer, center Bruno Sundov and a conditional second-round draft pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for forward Jumaine Jones.
July 28 2003
Signed forward Brandon Hunter.
July 25 2003
Signed guard Mike James.
July 19 2003
Re-signed forward Walter McCarty.
July 16 2003
Re-signed center Mark Blount.
July 10 2003
Signed guard Marcus Banks and center Kendrick Perkins.
Draft 2003
Selected guard Troy Bell (16th overall pick) and forwards Dahntay Jones (20th overall pick) and Brandon Hunter (56th overall pick).
Traded the draft rights to guard Troy Bell and forward Dahntay Jones to the Memphis Grizzlies for the draft rights to guard Marcus Banks and center Kendrick Perkins.
June 23 2003
Traded the draft rights to forward Darius Songaila to the Sacramento Kings for second-round draft picks in 2003 and 2005.
May 21 2003
Signed head coach Jim O’Brien to a contract extension through 2005-06.
Enjoy,

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:33 am

In reply to "So, you're telling me we traded Jiri Welsh for Rajon Rondo?"

mmmmm on CelticBlog: Celtics trade Fab Melo to Memphis for Donte Greene wrote:
We traded Jiri Welsh to Cleveland in 2005 for their 2007 1st round pick.
We traded that 2007 1st round pick to Phoenix for their 2006 selection Rondo (#21) & Brian Grant.

Phoenix used that pick (#24) to select Rudy Fernandez, whom they traded with James Jones to the Blazers for cash.

Fernandez later (2011) was traded to Dallas in a big 3 team deal and 6 months later was traded to Denver along with Corey Brewer for a 2nd round pick.

Look at what all the other teams got out of that —

Cleveland got Jiri Welsh.
Phoenix got some cash.
Portland did get Ray Felton, Jordan Hamilton and Tanguy Ngombo out of it.
Dallas got a 2nd round pick.
The Nuggets ended up with Rudy & Corey Brewer.
Boston got Rondo.

Danny is a genius.
http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/8/15/4624580/trade-rumor-celtics-to-trade-fab-melo-to-memphis-for-donte-greene

I thought you might enjoy that as well.  I didn't take the time to check it against the encyclopedia above, but chances are it is correct.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:04 am

Bob, speaking of making sausage, I had a tall friend who witnessed a bar fight in Greece. A little guy was getting pummeled by a few drunken brawlers, and my friend waded into the melee and rescued the victim by pulling him outside.

Once out of the bar the little guy said,
"You just saved my life and I want to thank you. In Denmark I'm
a sausage maker, and let me tell you one thing. Never eat
sausage!'
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:51 am

gyso wrote:In reply to "So, you're telling me we traded Jiri Welsh for Rajon Rondo?"

mmmmm on CelticBlog: Celtics trade Fab Melo to Memphis for Donte Greene wrote:
We traded Jiri Welsh to Cleveland in 2005 for their 2007 1st round pick.
We traded that 2007 1st round pick to Phoenix for their 2006 selection Rondo (#21) & Brian Grant.

Phoenix used that pick (#24) to select Rudy Fernandez, whom they traded with James Jones to the Blazers for cash.

Fernandez later (2011) was traded to Dallas in a big 3 team deal and 6 months later was traded to Denver along with Corey Brewer for a 2nd round pick.

Look at what all the other teams got out of that —

Cleveland got Jiri Welsh.
Phoenix got some cash.
Portland did get Ray Felton, Jordan Hamilton and Tanguy Ngombo out of it.
Dallas got a 2nd round pick.
The Nuggets ended up with Rudy & Corey Brewer.
Boston got Rondo.

Danny is a genius.
http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/8/15/4624580/trade-rumor-celtics-to-trade-fab-melo-to-memphis-for-donte-greene

I thought you might enjoy that as well.  I didn't take the time to check it against the encyclopedia above, but chances are it is correct.

gyso
gyso,

The moral of this is that you cannot just look at one trade and come to final conclusions about whether it's a good deal or not, ESPECIALLY not with Trader Danny.  What this thread shows, just about as well as can be done given all the twists and turns over the course of a decade, is that Danny thinks several moves ahead.  That's why he always answers the phone, he wants to know which GMs like which players and what they are willing to give up to get them.  It might not happen in one swell foop, but he seems to have an incredible talent for cobbling together packages over the course of years that appeal to other GMs, which ultimately get him the players he wants.

To do this, he needs very supportive, and strategically thinking, ownership.  After all those years of wandering in the desert, "led" by The Chicken King John Y Brown and Paul Gaston, we're finally back to where we were with Walter Brown.

This doesn't mean that Danny doesn't screw up, of course he does, but you can't say he screwed up just because one trade doesn't make sense, not if you look at how patiently he packages players and picks in trades.  He's a chess master, who sees players as pieces.  That has hurt a lot of people's sensibilities recently, because he traded Pierce and Garnett, but to Trader Danny they were pieces that were due to be moved.  We now have about $20M of expiring contracts and 9 first round picks over the next 5 years.  That is, to borrow a phrase from physics, a lot of potential energy.  I can almost guarantee we will NOT be seeing 9 first round picks in Celtics green over the next 5 years.  To paraphrase Winny (Churchill), "Danny is a riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma".  

If one thinks Danny is a genius based upon what he's done so far, I'm going to go out on a limb now and say he's going to really blow our collective minds over the next half decade.  Back in 2007, when he pulled off one of the biggest blockbuster deals of the decade and bagged Ray and Kevin for Big Al and a #5 and Delonte (giving him his due) and a bunch of spare parts, he didn't have anywhere near the assets to work with he has now.  Not only is he loaded with picks and expiring contracts AND a $10M salary exemption from Brooklyn, he's also going to be under the salary cap for the first time since when?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:03 pm

I've always marveled at and trusted Danny's acumen - thus it's easy for me to accept your prognostication Bob. BTW, thanks for adding a delicious morsel to my literary menu - one swell foop.

Regarding Winnie, on of his quotes has served me well during tough times: "When you're going through hell, keep going." My girlfriend Mary shared that one with me as she was enduring chemo. She passed away but never succumbed to despair or unhappiness about her situation.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:06 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, speaking of making sausage, I had a tall friend who witnessed a bar fight in Greece. A little guy was getting pummeled by a few drunken brawlers, and my friend waded into the melee and rescued the victim by pulling him outside.

Once out of the bar the little guy said,
   "You just saved my life and I want to thank you. In Denmark I'm  
   a sausage maker, and let me tell you one thing. Never eat  
   sausage!'

worcester,

Doesn't that suck? There's nothing quite like a gourmet sausage dog with kraut.

Anything that is encased by intestine lining probably should be eaten in very limited amounts, especially if you have cholesterol problem. One way to avoid the intestine casing is to eat Hebrew National dogs. That is, unless you'd prefer to eat the new, 21st century method of encasing sausages using plastic instead of intestines. Like eating plastic is an improvement. Takes recycling in a whole new, and decidedly unattractive, direction. Both visually and aromatically.

On the bright side, the part of the intestine they use is very high in naturally-occurring collagen. Sausages might be horrible for your heart, but at least you'll be a young-looking, crows feet free corpse.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down