Olynyk Pre-Season Highlight Video

4 posters

Go down

Olynyk Pre-Season Highlight Video Empty Olynyk Pre-Season Highlight Video

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:36 am

Just a little something to get the juices going.  Opening night is tomorrow.

His arms are really, really, really short.  LOL.  His skills, though, are very good.  He needs to get stronger and he needs to just settle in a bit and he'll do really well, I think. Extremely soft hands for a big. You can't teach that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Olynyk Pre-Season Highlight Video Empty Re: Olynyk Pre-Season Highlight Video

Post by Outside Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Likes: that 20-foot bank shot early in the video, his sense around the basket.

Dislike: his aversion to dunking the ball in seemingly obvious situations to do so. I looked him up on Draft Express, and his vertical leap numbers were surprisingly poor. Combine that with the short wingspan and you've got a below-the-rim seven-footer.

Olynyk from Draft Express:

Height with shoes: 7'0"
Wingspan: 6'9.75"
Standing reach: 9'0"
No step vertical leap: 24.5"
Max vertical leap: 29"

Compare that to Cody Zeller:

Wingspan: 6'10.75"
Standing reach: 8'10"
No step vertical leap: 35.5"
Max vertical leap: 37.5"

Zeller is similarly wingspan-challenged, but he has much better leaping ability. I wonder if Olynyk would benefit from working on his jumping as much as strength.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Outside wrote:Likes: that 20-foot bank shot early in the video, his sense around the basket.

Dislike: his aversion to dunking the ball in seemingly obvious situations to do so. I looked him up on Draft Express, and his vertical leap numbers were surprisingly poor. Combine that with the short wingspan and you've got a below-the-rim seven-footer.

Olynyk from Draft Express:

Wingspan: 6'9.75"
Standing reach: 9'0"
No step vertical leap: 24.5"
Max vertical leap: 29"

Compare that to Cody Zeller:

Wingspan: 6'10.75"
Standing reach: 8'10"
No step vertical leap: 35.5"
Max vertical leap: 37.5"

Zeller is similarly wingspan-challenged, but he has much better leaping ability. I wonder if Olynyk would benefit from working on his jumping as much as strength.

outside,

Yeah, I noticed his "aversion" to dunking too.  Disturbing, in a 7'er.  He definitely needs an entire summer working with strength and conditioning coach Brian Doo ("BDoo").

Advantage of Olynyk over Zeller?  Being able to shoot from just about anywhere.  Being able to put the ball on the floor against comparable defenders.  Court vision and passing.

Strength and conditioning are definitely things that can be improved over time, not so his alligator arms.  Can you teach Zeller to shoot and pass like KO?  Very difficult.

Zeller was also the #4 pick, Olynyk was #13.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Believe one other advantage, KO has a much better off hand than most 7 footers too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm

I didn't mean to compare Zeller and Olynyk as players, just as physically similar specimens. In particular, I wanted to point out the similarity in wingspan but the difference in leaping ability.

I watched Zeller several times last season, and I noted how soft he was around the basket, being rendered ineffective by physical play and frequently winding up on the floor. I don't think he's a particularly gifted passer, and his shooting ability outside the paint is only fair. He's athletic and can get out on the break, and if he can improve his shooting, he'll be a decent NBA player.

As you pointed out, Olynyk has several advantages over Zeller. Olynyk is a better ballhandler, passer, and outside shooter, and he's a much better finisher inside. Zeller is the better defender, but I think Olynyk can become successful defensively in Stevens' team-oriented concept.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:13 pm

I'll be happy with Kelly if he just bulks up more.

At this point, his athleticism is what it is, I doubt it'll get better with time. He'll just need to work around it to be successful by being a solid rebounder, defender, scorer, FT shooter, etc.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am

KJ,

Actually, it's just as easy, if not easier, to improve jumping ability as it is to get stronger and bulkier. When my son played volleyball, it was remarkable how quickly and dramatically his leaping improved (as well as the rest of the team) just from doing drills in practice designed specifically for that purpose.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down