k_j_88
Sam
gyso
bobheckler
dboss
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

THURSDAY - ASIK TRADE - UPDATE - Page 2 Empty Re: THURSDAY - ASIK TRADE - UPDATE

Post by dboss Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:I'm not sure why people think that Morey will have to cave to Danny or someone else.
Houston is already going to be a 50+ win team.
Morey didn't have to trade Asik 2 months before the trade deadline.

I could not see Houston taking Bass, Lee and the Clippers 1st round pick next year for Asik.

Asik will probably be traded but on Morey's terms not on another GM's.

TJ I think you are wrong about this.  Morely has to trade Asik because he said he needed to do it sooner rather than later.  His credibility is on the line and more importantly Asik's presence on the team is a big negative.

The reported compenation was more than fair considering the risk that the acquiring team has to take on.

Morely has already screwed up two deals by overpaying both Asik and Lin...

It certainly does not sound like teams are lining up like at the Walmart on black Friday.

Further, the Rockets are trying to dump salary so if they do not make a deal now they will not be able to trade a Lee and/or bass  at the February trade deadline for perhaps an expiring contract.  

Danny is behind the wheel of this deal and he is on cruise control while listening to Smooth Jazz on the radio.

dboss

With having to take on Lee's contract, I don't think the deal was the best one Houston can make.
Was it very lopsided toward one team, no.
Celtics fans always think that Danny is in control in negotiations but Morey has the player Danny wants. Morey's not calling Danny to see what it would take to get Brandon Bass.
The price for a starting center in the NBA is usually more than 2 role players and a crappy 1st round draft pick.

Morey might trade Asik tomorrow or next week or next month.

Danny is hoping for this deal because he hasn't had a legitimate starting center in years and there's none on the horizon.

I don't get the impression at all that Houston is trying to dump salary.
They are not a team bloated in salaries like Brooklyn or New York.

TJ we obviuosly have a difference of opinion.  Houston already has two max players and they want to resign Parsons.  So they have to move a big contract.  That means they have to dump some salary.

Danny is not hoping for a deal.  if it happens it happens.  Celtics nation had already resigned themselves with the idea that we have a nice core group and tons of picks to be deep in contention in short order. "Afterall we are not Communists" (the lakers)

It was Houston that announced their plans to trade Asik.  We can live with lee and bass and the crappy # 1 pick that you do not know where that pick or what that pick is.  Houston cannot live with Asik and his crappy offense.  The point being that they have to trade him but no one has to agree to be a trading partner especially a team like boston that has assets to bargain with.

Trading two role players for one role player ( Asik is a role player.... he was a role player in Chi town and he was a role player in houston.  it is not like he is close to being the complete package as a center)  You have to be good enough to play both ends of the court to be anything other than a role player.  He just happens to have a skill that we need.  He's tall and he is physical in the post and can rebound the basketball.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY - ASIK TRADE - UPDATE - Page 2 Empty Re: THURSDAY - ASIK TRADE - UPDATE

Post by dboss Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 pm

TJ I heard that Houston wants to dump Lin as well along with his outrageous contract

Of course that is just a rumor...
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:01 pm

dboss,

Yes, we can agree to disagree. I don't think we are that far off from agreeing.
I just don't think Danny has any leverage at all over Morey.
Yes, Asik was a role player behind Noah and Dwight.
He would be NBA starting center for quite a few teams, including Boston.
Is DeAndre Jordan a role player?
James Harden wasn't a role player because he didn't start in Houston.
Houston does not need to move a contract.
Why would they be willing to take on more money in Bass and Lee if they needed to dump salary?
Houston just needs to find the right trade partner within two months.
Bass and Lee are very common NBA players. Houston doesn't need to settle for them.
How many teams are contacting Morey about Asik compared to contacting Danny over Bass and Lee?
If Phoenix keeps winning, I could see them making a move for Asik.
They have players on friendly contracts and tons of draft picks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:03 pm

dboss wrote:TJ I heard that Houston wants to dump Lin as well along with his outrageous contract

Of course that is just a rumor...

Would you say they are looking to dump Asik?
I have not seen they are looking to dump any player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:12 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

There's a reason why Asik has not been playing.
Houston does not want him to get hurt right before they trade him.
What showcasing needs to be done while playing next to Dwight?
Smart move by Houston by holding him out.

In my opinion, Morey made a good move in signing Asik and Lin.
The cap number for Asik, a starting center is only $8m per year.
I am sure they expected and maybe received financial benefits from the large asian community in Houston by signing Lin. Jeremy has been pretty good on the court, but not great.
I think Morey did a good job in building the Rockets from a team with draft picks and cap space into a contenfer for years to come.
You criticize Morey for giving up nothing to sign Dwight?
If Danny signed Dwight would you be so critical?
Every team in the league would love to have Dwight as their starting center.

TJ,

1. I did not criticize Morey for signing D12 for nothing. In fact, I didn't criticize him for signing Howard at all. What I said is that most of the credit for it should go to Parson, Harden, perhaps McHale (although I didn't mention him in my previous post) and Kobe for providing the push out the door. If you re-read my post, perhaps a bit more slowly, you'll see I said "yes, he did sign D12" and I said that after disparaging him for the Lin and Asik contracts. In other words, I was providing the other side of his efforts, the better side.

2. Morey should be congratulated for signing a player, Jeremy Lin, for far more than he's worth as part of an Asian Outreach Program for the Greater Houston area? That might be good business, but I think winning a championship would work better, and Jeremy Lin isn't a key piece in that marketing program. He fell for Lin-sanity, pure and simple, and that's not evidence of a good GM.

3. Asik's cap impact is $8M, but he'll cost $15M next year. He is having a doubling impact on the payroll. Is Asik a $15M player? Yes, I know he's a starting center, but is he worth $15M? The only benefit of doing it this way is that it might keep you off the repeater tax. At $15M he's more expensive than Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, Hibbert, Tyson Chandler, Bogut, Al Jefferson, Pekovic, Horford and Noah. Is he better than all of them? Is he better than any of them? If the answer is no, then that's one of the reasons why GMs aren't jumping through hoops of fire to meet Morey's demands for Asik. Compared to his peers, he's overpriced. Who structured that contract for Asik? Morey.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Bob,

1) You assume way too many things. Do you really think 23 year old Parsons had more of an influence on Dwight coming to Houston? Dwight wanted to go there regardless of who called him. It was the best fit for him long term.

2) I guess you don't understand how marketing of certain players directly ties to a teams revenue from TV contacts and Sales of products. I do not think for a second that they regret signing Jeremy Lin.

3) Teams in the NBA have plenty of cash. Their limitation is being able to spend it with the salary cap and luxury tax restrictions. No, Asik is not a $15m player. Is he a $10.33m/year player like he is being paid over 3 years? Yes, I think that's fair. Asik was signed for $31m for 3 years. Tyson Chandler signed for $57m over 4 years...

Sometimes teams feel they might need to spend a little extra cash to entice a player to come there. Morey did that with Asik and Lin and I don't think he has any regrets over doing so.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Morey is dealing from a weak position.........HIS PLAYER DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR THEM AS A BACK-UP............PERIOD END OF STORY.

Morey/Houston now has a position that is not filled...........and paying a contract to a player who is not performing!!!!!!!!!!!!

The deal Danny posed as compensation was very fair.........you know Asik is no Howard....or The  Chief Parish............He is a serviceable big man who can play defense ........and is a offensive liability late in the game (cannot hit free throws).
The Celtics are also throwing in Lee who has the best 3 pt percentage in the league this year and would be an outstanding guy coming off the bench for Houston.   IN FACT NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT....DANNY IS GIVING AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!

So Morey..........let's get real..........real fast.........you got NOTHING COMING from a POSITION OF STRENGTH...........you got a fair deal by the Celtics..........and the longer Asik sulks .............the potential for more internal problems you may have in the locker room.............and you are down a position.  Sure does not build team camaraderie!

ON THE OTHER HAND...............Danny and the Celtics are rebuilding and we do not have to do anything out of the game plan and make a stupid move.  As I stated yesterday............this is not a good Danny deal.............he'll pick up a young guy serviceable BIG who will not command a huge value and he'll grow with the team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 pm

tjmakz wrote:dboss,

Yes, we can agree to disagree. I don't think we are that far off from agreeing.
I just don't think Danny has any leverage at all over Morey.
Yes, Asik was a role player behind Noah and Dwight.
He would be NBA starting center for quite a few teams, including Boston.
Is DeAndre Jordan a role player?
James Harden wasn't a role player because he didn't start in Houston.
Houston does not need to move a contract.
Why would they be willing to take on more money in Bass and Lee if they needed to dump salary?
Houston just needs to find the right trade partner within two months.
Bass and Lee are very common NBA players. Houston doesn't need to settle for them.
How many teams are contacting Morey about Asik compared to contacting Danny over Bass and Lee?
If Phoenix keeps winning, I could see them making a move for Asik.
They have players on friendly contracts and tons of draft picks.

Danny has no leverage?

Yes Jordan is a role player

Yes they do need to move a contract that is why they are trying to trade Asik (i suppose his contract will be traded along with him)  Houston is not looking to pay a BU center that type  of money.

If they took on lee and bass as part of a deal I am sure that another player would be coming to Boston to make the number work.  But even if it was a 2 for 1 deal houston has enough cap space to absorb the $3 miilion or so dollars above what they give up and them move one of those contracts.  

Have you not read reports that the reason why Houston wants to make a trade by the 20th is becasue they will still be able to trade the players that they got in February?

Teams are contacting Houston about Asik because houston said they plan to trade him

The suns should go after Asik.  Good luck to them.  As i said before Celtics nation is pleased with where we are and where we are going.  

You see you are wrong about one thing.  Danny has enough leverage to do nothing while morely has to do a deal.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Asik's contract is 3 years, $25.1M [edit].  It averages just over $8M/year.

The 2-1 trade works as-is and needs no filler.

The December 20th deadline allows 60 days to pass after the trade so that there is time to trade either Lee or Bass in a multi-player deal (in a package deal) before the trading deadline [edit].  Either player can be traded in any 1-1 trade much sooner than that (perhaps the next day).  It often takes a package deal to "dump" salary, oftentimes needing a third team [edit].

Houston will pay a combined $30M for both Asik and Lin for 2014-2015.  Of course Houston is trying to "dump" them before next season.

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : postus interruptus by visit from inlaws during post creation, I didn't get to add some extra info)

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm

GYSO

Thanks for bringing the details to light......least we find ourselves stumbling around in the darkness ...and losing what little leverage we have left ..Lol

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Although it's probably moot as far as the Celtics are concerned, I find the dissing of Asik's offense to be missing some relevant points.

* Last season, playing 30 MPG, he scored 10 PPG.  Not likely to lead the league, but not all that terrible for a guy who would be valued mostly for his work on the other end of the court.

• The reason he doesn't score more is primarily because he doesn't shoot more (7 attempts a game, including putbacks).  This season, he's making 54% of his field goal attempts.  You know....the kinds of shots close to the basket that we always yell about the need for on the Game-on Thread.

• I understand Asik's a pretty good practitioner of the pick-and-roll.  To the extent that it's true, the return of Rondo should feed right into that ability.

• In the video I've seen, Asik seems to get up the floor very well.  I'm less sure of this claim than some of my others, because it has been limited video.

• They call them "offensive" rebounds because they're achieved on the offensive end.  And 31% of Asik's considerable boards are offensive ones.  That is called "offense."

• The following is another area in which I don't have real evidence, but I can't believe Asik could possibly set lousier screens than Vitor does.  Because the Celtics have players who like to shoot the mid-range jumper (Bradley, Green and Crawford to name three), this could be a way in which Asik makes at least some of those around him better on the offensive end.

• Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard the old information that he's a lousy free throw shooter and is therefore of little value in the clutch.  The operative word is "old."  As with many players, deficiencies get stuck in the minds of many fans long after they're no longer quite so problematic.  Has anyone noticed that Asik is shooting 64% this season?  His free throw shooting is up 8 percentage points this season after having increased by 10 percentage points last season.  I can't resist repeating one of my favorite themes: "Then is not now."  Three other Celtics rotation players are shooting worse from the line than Asik.  In fact, if Asik had played for the Celtics, he might have been useful in tutoring Gerald Wallace at the line, where Asik is shooting almost twice as well as Gerald.

So, for a guy who's coveted mainly to protect the rim and to rebound, I'm not impressed by concerns about his lack of offense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 pm

112288 wrote:Morey is dealing from a weak position.........HIS PLAYER DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR THEM AS A BACK-UP............PERIOD END OF STORY.

Morey/Houston now has a position that is not filled...........and paying a contract to a player who is not performing!!!!!!!!!!!!

The deal Danny posed as compensation was very fair.........you know Asik is no Howard....or The  Chief Parish............He is a serviceable big man who can play defense ........and is a offensive liability late in the game (cannot hit free throws).
The Celtics are also throwing in Lee who has the best 3 pt percentage in the league this year and would be an outstanding guy coming off the bench for Houston.   IN FACT NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT....DANNY IS GIVING AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!

So Morey..........let's get real..........real fast.........you got NOTHING COMING from a POSITION OF STRENGTH...........you got a fair deal by the Celtics..........and the longer Asik sulks .............the potential for more internal problems you may have in the locker room.............and you are down a position.  Sure does not build team camaraderie!

ON THE OTHER HAND...............Danny and the Celtics are rebuilding and we do not have to do anything out of the game plan and make a stupid move.  As I stated yesterday............this is not a good Danny deal.............he'll pick up a young guy serviceable BIG who will not command a huge value and he'll grow with the team.

Nail on the head - 1000%

DA is clearly a better poker player than Morey. At this point, after all of the back and forth - this cant be anything other than a distraction for a team where chemistry is still in the early stages. The longer this lingers, the less the chances of the Rockets being a serious contender in the West. Period. Full Stop.

I like Asik...but no way the Celtics should give any more than Bass, Lee and a conditional pick in 2015 or beyond. If not, Morey can go pound sand...and watch his locker room unravel day by day.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Not a question about lack of offense sam but more a question of value

He is a big guy and he boards and bumps and grinds so his value at the 5 is not overlooked.

But he is no offensive player as far as scoring the basketball.  He is horrible at the line and given that he only takes 2.3 free throws a game this year he is by all measure irrelevant when it comes to getting to the line.  I am surprise that he does not get hacked more.

Last year he only took 7.5 shots per game.  And we have no way of knowing if he took say 12shots per game that his percentage would go up or down or remain the same.  He is 27 years old and at this point his scoring is probably not going to improve that much.

The trade is not going down so this is moot but if we did get him he would be the 4th option out of 5 starters on offense and his role would be  geared towards providing a more physical presence and getting rebounds.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Asik's contract is about $31m.
For salary cap purposes it is about $25m.

I don't think this is an ideal trade for either team.
I don't think Boston will be real contenders this year or next.
Asik can walk in less than 2 years.

Obviously, if Houston thought Bass, Lee and the Clippers 2015 1st round pick was a good trade, they would have made it, if it was offered.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 pm

This is from hoopshype.com

Rival executives were dubious from the beginning of a scenario that would've sent Asik to Boston for Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a first-round pick. Bass and Lee are two contracts that Celtics GM Danny Ainge is trying to unload, and league sources say he'd probably have to give up a draft pick to find a taker for Lee, anyway. So a deal that would also shed Bass and bring in Asik, a defensive center who is only 27, would be "a great deal for them," one executive said. If that was the deal Morey wanted, it would've been done already. Clearly, it wasn't. One person familiar with Morey's thinking said the Houston GM did not covet Bass or Lee, and likely only considered such a deal if he could have flipped one or both of them in future deals. Of course, A) he couldn't do that unless he acquired them by Thursday under NBA rules, and B) league sources say the market for both players would've been minimal, anyway. CBSSports.com

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Houston Rockets, Trade, Danny Ainge, Omer Asik, Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee  
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.Spv9tu9i.dpuf
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:58 pm

To lure Asik away from the Chicago Bulls in restricted free agency in 2012, Houston structured its offer sheet to the Turkish big man so that he would receive a whopping payout of $15 million in 2014-15, even though Asik counts against the salary cap for roughly $8.4 million.

Omer Asik, C    Houston Rockets    $8,374,646 - 2013 - 2014
                                                 $14,898,938 - 2014 -2015

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 pm

THE FACT THAT HOUSTON DID NOT TRADE ASIK IS AN INDICATION THAT HOUSTON'S & MOREY WERE WAY OFF BASE ON THE VALUE OF ASIK. ALL THE TEAMS DROPPED OUT FOR ASIK EXCEPT BOSTON.

REAL GM

Boston Celtics Going All-in on Omer Asik Is the Wrong Move
BY DAN FAVALE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON DECEMBER 19, 2013

What Asik will actually cost the Celtics is largely unknown. Rumor upon rumor upon rumor continues to trickle down the ever-churning conjecture mill, providing us with conflicting reports, along with those that simply have no foundation.

What we do know is that one rival GM told CBS Sports' Ken Berger that Houston's asking price was previously delusional. And we also know there have been two different versions of a potential Boston deal.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CBS Sports' Ken Berger

Hawks GM Danny Ferry has taken a guarded approach to the so-called Asik "sweepstakes," and for good reason. He is said to be among the executives wary of Houston's attempt to overvalue Asik and create what another executive called a "false market."

Cleveland has yet to engage in serious discussions with Houston about Asik because the Rockets asked for Anderson Varejao and the Cavs aren't willing to part with him in an Asik trade, league sources said.

Multiple league executives also said the Rockets are open to packaging Jeremy Lin with Asik, but that scenario appears unlikely as well. As one executive said of Lin, "I'm not sure there are many, if any, takers for him right now."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sources: Celtics had best offer for Asik
DEC 19 - 4:43 PM ET
By Marc Stein, ESPN.com

The Houston Rockets have abruptly ceased trade talks involving Omer Asik and now face the complicated task of trying to reintegrate the unhappy center into their frontcourt rotation, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets moved away from the negotiating table Thursday when it became apparent they wouldn't find a trade that matches their valuation of Asik before their self-imposed Dec. 19 deadline to move him.

Sources say the best proposal they've received is the Boston Celtics' offer featuring reserves Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee and a future protected first-round pick. Sources say Houston couldn't bring itself Thursday to take that package for a player it regards as one of the league's best rim protectors, especially after the Rockets -- according to a Boston Herald report -- rejected the same offer last week. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 am

Dboss,

Well, as I've said, it's probably moot now.  But you say it's not a question of lack of offense and then you say, "But he is no offensive player as far as scoring the basketball."  I believe the only way he could have scored 10 PPG in 30 MPG last season was by scoring the basketball.

I agree that scoring is certainly far from his strong suit, but I don't believe double figures (plus what he might add in some of the other offensive areas I cited) are all that bad for a guy whose defensive value in protecting the rim becomes more superior with every new report I read.

I'm not sure why he'd have to take more than 7.5 shots a game as a Celtic.  As for his being "horrible at the line," perhaps you missed my point that he's making almost two-thirds of his free throws this season.  That's a net 39% increase spread over two years, which suggests to me more than a slight improvement in his free throw shooting.  And, since he doesn't score a whole lot, I wouldn't expect him to be at the line a whole lot.  Besides, if he shoots only two or three freebies a game, why all the fuss about his free throw shooting?

It is true that few players (if any) excel in every single basketball category.  I agree with Red's way of evaluating players.  You get a player for his dominant assets (in Asik's case, rim protection and rebounding) and expect him to be a decent supporting player in other areas.  Asik fulfills my requirements for exactly the kind of tough, truly big, bona fide center the Celtics need, and I'd happily take his 10 PPG in 30 minutes and his 64% free throw shooting as "throw-in" capabilities.  Unfortunately, it looks like that won't happen.  At least not right now.

I know many people think Danny will be able to scoop up a good, young center somewhere along the way.  I can't help but ask, "Where?"

When I look at the top 20 prospects in the "stacked" 2014 draft (which will undoubtedly undergo all sorts of changes during and after the college season), I see only three centers: Cauley-Stein, Embid and Tarczewski.  They're all 7 feet tall, but only Tarczewski is north of 240 pounds and the scouting reports say all three need to bulk up and especially gain lower body strength.  (Where have I heard that before?)  Apparently, Tarczewski added around 20-25 pounds during his freshman year (he may now be as high as 260), but there are some reports that he's not handling the added weight well and looks slower out there.  At any rate, there's nothing about any of the three that clearly labels him more than a project at this time.  (Under the right circumstances, I guess projects can be good.  In fact, maybe they can be fab.  Oh wait....)

I looked at the free agent centers after this season, and they seem mainly to be a mixture of the "usual suspect" journeymen, guys past their prime who are likely to be injured or overpaid or both, and young guys whose names mean little or nothing to me. 

So I continue to believe the most likely avenue for Danny to get a stud center will be via the trade route.  (Of course, that could include a sign and trade of one of the aforementioned free agent centers, if any of them were considered exciting additions.)  Trading is also the best way to keep from bumping into the salary cap.  I'm hoping that Danny's wiles, plus the right combination of other teams' needs—especially in terms of the salary cap) will enable him to tap the trade market for "Mr. Right" at some point this season.

In the meantime, I'll go back to watching Vitor make an earnest effort to improve and Sully continue to be a rather heroic foul machine in covering bigger guys.

I'd welcome comments, especially from those posters like NYCelt who know far more about college prospects than I do.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:57 am

Asik's contract numbers: 5,000,000 + 5,225,000 + 14,898,938 = 25,123,938  (Very much NOT 31M.)

Asik's cap hit: 25,123,938 / 3 or 8,374,646 + 8,374,646 + 8,374,646

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/omer-asik/

Here's a couple links that discuss his contract before it was signed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--free-agent-center-omer-asik-agrees-to--25-million-offer-sheet-with-rockets.html;_ylt=A0oG7lZx4rNSh3YA5alXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzM3IyaDhxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1NNRTMzOV8x

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1244038-nba-rumors-why-omer-asiks-contract-will-backfire-for-houston-rockets

Here is Lin's contract numbers:

Lin's contract: 5,000,000 + 5,225,000 + 14,898,938 = 25,123,938

Lin's cap hit: 25,123,938 / 3 or 8,374,646 + 8,374,646 + 8,374,646

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/jeremy-lin/

The two contracts are identical.  Houston, we have a problem (LOL)  Morey is a horrible GM, one of these contracts was bad enough, but two?

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sleep typing and my math skills at 2:00 AM were somewhat less than perfect)

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 am

Gyso,

You are right.
The average is $8.33m or $25m over 3 years which makes this contract look even better.
Tyson Chandler for 4 years and $57m or Asik for 3 years and $25m?
Not too bad of a contract when you look at it compared to other centers, including DeAndre Jordan.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 pm

$8M/year is a bit too much for a one dimensional player.

Just because the Knicks are stupid enough to overpay players like Chandler at $14M/year doesn't mean that Asik is worth $8M.

The market value of these players is inflated.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:06 pm

k_j_88 wrote: $8M/year is a bit too much for a one dimensional player.

Just because the Knicks are stupid enough to overpay players like Chandler at $14M/year doesn't mean that Asik is worth $8M.

KJ

With regard to Asik, I respectfully disagree. Any 7-footer who can rebound and play defense like he can (and is still only 27) is worth $8 million a year. Plus he can get you 10 points a game too, just by being around the basket. You think you can get a player like that for less? Show me where.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Certainly NOT 1 dimensional at all.

So how many times did Perk average 10 points a game?
(answer 1 time 10.1 in the 09-10 season) And Perks career PPG number is half that.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:24 pm

steve3344 wrote:
k_j_88 wrote: $8M/year is a bit too much for a one dimensional player.

KJ

With regard to Asik, I respectfully disagree.  Any 7-footer who can rebound and play defense like he can (and is still only 27) is worth $8 million a year.  Plus he can get you 10 points a game too, just by being around the basket.  You think you can get a player like that for less?  Show me where.

I think you missed part of what I was saying. I said the market as a whole is inflated.

Case in point, Kendrick Perkins.

In 2009 (before his injury), Perkins averaged 10.1 pts and 7.6 rebounds. His contract? $4.75M/year. Kendrick was also an interior presence and regarded as one of the better defensive centers at the time. That's why I don't justify guys like Asik getting $8M/year for marginally better stats.

Sorry, but I just don't think Asik is worth all that much.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:25 pm

beat wrote:Certainly NOT 1 dimensional at all.

So how many times did Perk average 10 points a game?
(answer 1 time 10.1 in the 09-10 season) And Perks career PPG number is half that.

beat

Asik is for the most part 1 dimensional.

And if we are to use career stats, Asik averages 4.4 ppg and 6.8 reb. Not much better than Perkins.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next