tjmakz
bobheckler
beat
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Crawford and Brooks to GS - Page 2 Empty Re: Crawford and Brooks to GS

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I expect this should also bring to an end the bitching about the PG position....since everyone should be happy now.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:46 pm

In absence of another move, I do not like this trade.

Gave up too much fire powers. If we do not get a center I will be disappointed.

Maybe DA is working on 2 for 1 deal.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 pm

bobheckler wrote:
beat wrote:Bob

Philly has the return of Noel to look forward too next season. He with MC Williams could do quite well.

If Noel can return healthy.......playoffs are certainly a possibility for them.

beat

beat,

Hopin', hopin'.

Update to the deal I'm hearing is that if Philly is in the lottery next year as well, then that 1st round pick turn into TWO 2nd round picks.

SO, if Philly is in the lottery this year and next the deal would be:

Crawford and Brooks for Joel Anthony and THREE 2015 2nd round picks.  

2nd Round picks have value because 2nd rounders aren't guaranteed a contract.  So, giving away one of them, is like giving your trading partner salary relief (as opposed to 1st rounders who are expected to sign a contract and make the team and have a salary scale in place).  

Danny's shakin' and bakin'.

bob

Bob,

The Philly 2nd rounders would be in 2015 and 2016.

I think it's a pretty fair trade for all teams.
I think Boston is just hoping that Philly will sneak into the playoffs this year or next and Boston would get the 15th or 16th pick in the draft. I don't like having to eat Joel Anthony's salary for next year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:25 pm

While it's fun to evaluate the potential impact of a trade, it's only very occasionally that any of Danny's deals should be evaluated on its own. (The Garnett trade was an exception.) For example, I find it hard to believe that Joel Anthony was acquired to play substantial minutes at PF on this team. It's much like the fallacy of evaluating individual players in a vacuum. In basketball, interaction is the name of the game, and looking at things in isolation is usually a very incomplete glance. It's the net totality of Danny's moves by September, 2014, that will be important.

It’s like that old song, “Dem Bones”:

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones,
Now shake dem skeleton bones!

The toe bone's connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone's connected to the ankle bone,
The ankle bone's connected to the leg bone,

The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone,

The hip bone's connected to the back bone
The back bone's connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone's connected to the head bone,

The finger bone's connected to the hand bone,
The hand bone's connected to the arm bone,
The arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone,

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Sam this trade better be filled with bones that connect to one another.

Anthony adds 3.8 mill to the payroll next year. There has to be another trade coming soon otherwise why make this one. Joel use to be a pretty good pf/c but has barely played this year.

I think DA is going after Asik and the deal may bring 2 players here for one.

Humphries is the most logical piece because the Rockets need a bu PF/C and no long term exposure for them. Asik comes with another player.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Dboss,

From your mouth to my ears. I think Anthony could not be included in another deal right away, but I'm all in favor of an Asik acquisition. I just hope some of these piled-up draft picks turn out to be good ones, although I won't be surprised if most of them are used in trades.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:56 pm

No I think Anthony stays and they still deal for Asik.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Sam,

I have no bones to pick with you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm totally on board with this deal as it stands in its own merit, or as some beleive as a catalyst to something else..

Joey stays n Boston this season, for same reasons asik was trying to be traded earlier, after the 9th he could not be re-dealt by the new team.

Wether we get a first and a second, or two seconds from this deal its worth it by itself.. This season isn't about this season- it's about the future.. Of a player does not belong to our future Danny is either going to cut the string or make a deal- now we are sitting on potentially 10 first rounders in the next five years, as well as a few extra seconds.

I dunno if asik is coming, but I'm willing to bet Danny right now is asking other gm's with expiring contracts if they got a pick to go along with those expirings for a guy named bass or green..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Danny will trade Bass. This year he is due $6.75M, next year $6.9M. They need a backup for Sully at a cheap price and Anthony is that guy. They save $3M on this position.

Probably brings the Asik trade closer to reality as Houston still has problems playing better teams and a Bass or Humphries will help them.

As for piling on crowd on Crawford..........remember we lost our only real shooter Lee in a trade and as it appears, Bayless is going to play point guard not shooting guard. Naturally that opens the shooting guard position for Crawford...........but Danny and his staff must have seen something that told them..........let's stock pile more assets rather then seeing how Crawford handles the shooting guard position. If he was in the long term plans of the Celtics........they would have kept him.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 pm

What I like about what Danny is doing now............he is not waiting to be stiffed the day of the trading deadline.

I said this in my posts on the Cortney Lee trade,  Danny is telling the rest of the bottom feeders..........you want my assets...you better step up now because "I am a trading" and "I ain't waiting to have my assets picked from me come Thursday at 2:59pm of the trading deadline!"

Watch for another trade ............it's coming soon!

Last edited by 112288 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm sorry, it looks like Joey could be moved yet before the trade line.. Just read that in a peice about this trade..

Also.. ReAlgm is grading this deal a d+ for Boston, I completely disagree..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Matty,

Where did you read about Joey could be moved yet before the trade line.. Just read that in a peice about this trade..

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:33 pm

There is no good reason to make this trade for Joel and an unlikely #1 and more salary next year.

If we get a first rounder it may be ok.

But we are not going to keep all of these picks. We probably trade 5 or 6 first round picks.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 pm

dBoss,

Two things - 1) Anthony becomes a cheap backup to Sully and Bass and or Humphries are gone, or 2) Danny has Anthony involved in another trade.

Also, Danny must have shopped both Brooks and Crawford prior to this week and probably found little takers so he got what he could for them. In addition, 2nd rounders are a free pass for clubs not wanting to get stuck with having to pay a 1st rounder for 3 years, yet seeing if the 2nd rounder has anything to show in the summer league and preseason, if not they get cut.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm

CSNE

BOSTON — The reshaping of the Celtics roster continues with a three-team deal that ships out Jordan Crawford and MarShon Brooks to Golden State and brings in Joel Anthony from the Miami Heat.

The deal was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

In addition to Anthony, the Celtics will also receive a future first-round pick and second round pick from the Heat. Meanwhile Miami will receive Toney Douglas from the Warriors.

By making this deal, the Heat will save more than $11 million in salary and luxury tax payments by unloading Anthony's contract which has $3.8 million left following this season.

For Boston, this deal is very different than the one they made earlier this month which sent Courtney Lee to Memphis in exchange for Jerryd Bayless.

That deal was made in part because of the financial benefits it would bring the Celtics. Lee has two years remaining on his contract worth about $11 million. Bayless will be a free agent this summer.

Wednesday's trade was about acquiring more assets. The draft picks are likely to be used as part of a future deal or deals, and acquiring Anthony is the same as acquiring an asset as well.

It's too soon to say how much -- if at all -- Anthony will play for Boston this season. But the idea that the Celtics may look to move him this summer makes sense, and there will surely be a market for him when you consider this summer he'll be heading into the final year of his contract.

By moving both Crawford and Brooks to a team like Golden State, both are in systems that better play to their strengths than the one they were in here in Boston.

The Warriors are a get-up-and-go kind of team, frequently among the league's leaders in points scored per game. To add a pair of shot creators like Brooks and Crawford gives them the kind of added firepower that will keep them among the title contenders out West.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm

HEY BOBHECKLER

If this keeps up, you will not have to come to Boston to see the Celtics....You'll have Celtics West cheer for.............LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Joel Anthony is a HORRIBLE player.  His career averages are 2 points and 3 rebounds a game

How anyone out here can think this is a good deal is beyond me.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm under the assumption that this is going to be one of multiple trades. Otherwise, the trade by itself makes zero sense. Ainge knows what he has/had, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's another move to be made.

For the time being, I'm doing my best to withhold judgment but it's quite difficult to not go WTF IS GOING ON HERE!

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

MrK,

It is not about Anthony. Yes he sucks! But it is about the assets received.  You have to ask your self, would Trader Danny get picked off and fleeced by another team with a trade as simple as this one?

Danny has to have something cooking to accept Anthony. let us wait and take a look in a week or two...perhaps another move is in the works that includes Anthony.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

112288 wrote:MrK,

It is not about Anthony. Yes he sucks! But it is about the assets received.  You have to ask your self, would Trader Danny get picked off and fleeced by another team with a trade as simple as this one?

Danny has to have something cooking to accept Anthony. let us wait and take a look in a week or two...perhaps another move is in the works that includes Anthony.

gyso is the resident capologist here, but I don't think we can trade Anthony until the off-season. That's why Houston had that self-imposed deadline for trading Asik, it was so that another trade could be done by the trade deadline.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Bob, we should get that checked out by the master himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm

112288 wrote:HEY BOBHECKLER

If this keeps up, you will not have to come to Boston to see the Celtics....You'll have Celtics West cheer for.............LOL

As soon as I heard about this trade I called a friend of mine who is a Warrior fan (there's a few of them out here). He's not familiar with the Celtics heading west, understandably. Before I could tell him the entire trade, he said that one of the Warrior's problems is that their back up point guard, Toney Douglas, has a confidence problem. He doesn't play like he deserves to be out there and, without a confident point guard, a unit is doomed to fail. Then I told him that Toney Douglas was the player the Warriors just shipped out.

I also told him "then Jordan Crawford just fixed your problem for you. He may have a bunch of faults, including his shot selection, but lack of confidence is not one of them. He keeps forgetting Jordan is his first name, not his last."

I can't wait to hear what he has to say about Crawford after watching him for a few months.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Talk about Celtic West.....you also have Brian Scal. as a coach! LOL

You are right, Dec 19th is a date to trade in the same year...........listen I can live for 1/2 a year and let Danny unload him in June/July.  He will be an expiring contract.  As I said, he will be a cheap replacement for Bass or Hump as Danny does some more pruning and weeding.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 pm

It is hard to envision the 37 year old Anthony as being an asset. next year he is owed $3.8 million. Basically he has not played all year. Moving forward I do not see much value here.

I agree with Mrkleen, By all accounts Anthony is insignificant.

But I do think that there is another shoe to drop. As it stands now we gave up 2 good offensive players (Brooks has a lot of upside if given minutes) And even with rondo coming back our once deep backcourt looks thin to me and lacks an offensive punch off the bench. I do not see a lot of value in 2nd round picks although sometimes team luck up and get a really good player.

I think this 2 for 1 deal was made to free up another roster spot for another multi player deal.

The Celtics need a center. The Rockets have a center to trade. With the Rockets in town the other day I am sure that there were discussions about this.

Who will be moved? It would be Bass of Hump but I think it will be Hump because he is a legit F/C and that 12 mill contract goes away. He can really help a team to compete this year for a championship.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next